PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to watch the State Of The Union Addresss tonight?

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Or are you going to just watch the rebuttal? Or are you going to watch something else?

Uncle Bill
01-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I opted for root canal surgery. That way, I wouldn't be killed dying laughing, or ruining my TV by throwing a brick through the screen.

UB

dnf777
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I'd like to, but I start squirming and looking for something constructive to do during the 12,000th stand and applause session. And that usually occurs in the first 10 minutes or so.

Besides, its gettin' to be pinewood derby season, and some of you know what that means!

Buzz
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I think I've watched every State of the Union since Carter. I'll watch again tonight. I like to punish myself...

BonMallari
01-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I keep telling myself I wont, but I am sure that I will, especially since I dont have to see the former highness Nancy Pelosi and her smile done by the Joker in the background..even if you miss it, the SoTU is going to be replayed and overanalyzed by media types for hidden meanings and inference...

I am looking forward to the Official Rep. response along with the unOfficial /Tea Party response both of which I am sure will be replayed and overanalyzed by many unqualified to do so here on POTUS

Buzz
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd like to, but I start squirming and looking for something constructive to do during the 12,000th stand and applause session. And that usually occurs in the first 10 minutes or so.

Besides, its gettin' to be pinewood derby season, and some of you know what that means!

Back in the late 60's my brother and I built identical PWD cars. They were the most boring looking cars in competition that day. He took first and I took second. Back then we didn't have the polished axles or the graphite coated speed axles. We had graphite but not the graphite with the moly additive... We didn't have the lathed wheels either. You had to "lathe" them with fine emery and try and match them using the emery cloth and a pair of calipers or a micrometer.

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I am looking forward to Bachman's tea party rebuttal. I need a good laugh.;-)

Buzz
01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I am looking forward to the Official Rep. response along with the unOfficial /Tea Party response both of which I am sure will be replayed and overanalyzed by many unqualified to do so here on POTUS

What makes one "qualified?" Are the qualifications more strict than those for answering dog training and dog judging questions on the main forum? ;-)

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
I opted for root canal surgery. That way, I wouldn't be killed dying laughing, or ruining my TV by throwing a brick through the screen.

UB
UB, I was sure YOU wouldn't watch the State of The Union address but I will bet my bottom dollar that you will be glued to the edge of your seat listening to every word of both of the Republican and Tea Party rebuttals. :rolleyes:

dnf777
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Back in the late 60's my brother and I built identical PWD cars. They were the most boring looking cars in competition that day. He took first and I took second. Back then we didn't have the polished axles or the graphite coated speed axles. We had graphite but not the graphite with the moly additive... We didn't have the lathed wheels either. You had to "lathe" them with fine emery and try and match them using the emery cloth and a pair of calipers or a micrometer.

Everybody has the graphite now. The cars are so level, I think there are only two areas to get an edge. (legally)

1) I know it seems trivial, but aerodynamics. They're not going too fast, but it only takes an inch of difference to get a trophy. Our car is patterned after the F-102 Delta Dart fuselage, that only after adding a waist pinch, did it break through the sound barrier. ;-)

2) Weight. When they use kitchen scales with 1/4 oz increments, the same 5oz car can have up to a 1/2oz swing over a competitor. That's why I use removable lead putty. I make it 5.25oz, then remove a smidge at a time until it hits 5.000oz on the race-day scale.

BonMallari
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
What makes one "qualified?" Are the qualifications more strict than those for answering dog training and dog judging questions on the main forum? ;-)

No Buzz, but undoubtedly some if not all of us will try and interpret what they really were saying in all the respective speeches..the dog training and dog judging advices are much easier to go thru (at least the judging ones), because I will always defer to someone who has actually judged a trial or if I get stumped I will pick up the phone/email WD Connor..the dog training stuff takes a little more effort to wade thru the fluff

road kill
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Here is what you will want to see tonight;

http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/
Paul Ryan is a star and a core conservative.

RK

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM

RK

The last Republican administration had a plan also. Look what road it took us down.:rolleyes:

road kill
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
The last Republican administration had a plan also. Look what road it took us down.:rolleyes:

Did you even read the link, or just more SOILING??

Rhetorical question...........

RK

starjack
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Did you even read the link, or just more SOILING??

Rhetorical question...........

RK

Hes way left to look at any thing the right would say. OPPS FORGOT HES NOT A LEFTIE.:rolleyes:

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Hes way left to look at any thing the right would say. OPPS FORGOT HES NOT A LEFTIE.:rolleyes:

There you go again, I think you are delusional. Your side had 8 years in office and screwed everything up. Yeah, I watched the video and he defines the problems (which we all know what they are) but gives no solutions on how to fix the problem. There are going to be millions of baby boomers filing for social security and medicare this year and in the next few years. Medicare and Social Security are 2 of the biggest expenditures we face along with the defence department. Currently there are no real solutions from either side on how to curb those expenses. Again when your guy took over the Presidency he had a balanced budget to work with. Look where he left us.

starjack
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
There you go again, I think you are delusional. Your side had 8 years in office and screwed everything up.

YAWN.............:rolleyes:

Roger Perry
01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
YAWN.............:rolleyes:

Yeah, yawn your way out of this, even the Republicans that were running for office in 2008 said we were headed for a depression. Thank God we never made it there.

starjack
01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
You know you sure got a lot delusion on your part also . Have you seen what your boy has done in the last 2 i repeat two yrs. Opps your not a leftie are you. YOUR GETTING BORING.

Goose
01-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Screw Obama. Blake Griffin's in town tonight. I'd rather watch him dunk!

road kill
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
3 members of SCOTUS have decided NOT to be Obama's pinata' tonight!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

RK

huntinman
01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm sure there is one other that would rather get a root canal... But is going because of his position.

dnf777
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I surprised (not!) at the inability to show any respect, if not for the man, the office of the presidency. I was taught to respect the President, stand and place my hand over my heart whenever the flag is raised or lowered, or the National Anthem is played. Some things you just rise above petiteness and show respect. It actually reflects more on you than the other person.

After all, it is YOUR Union he's talking about. And he is YOUR employee. If you don't like the job he's doing, we have peaceful ways of redressing our grievances.

road kill
01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I surprised (not!) at the inability to show any respect, if not for the man, the office of the presidency. I was taught to respect the President, stand and place my hand over my heart whenever the flag is raised or lowered, or the National Anthem is played. Some things you just rise above petiteness and show respect. It actually reflects more on you than the other person.

After all, it is YOUR Union he's talking about. And he is YOUR employee. If you don't like the job he's doing, we have peaceful ways of redressing our grievances.

UHHHHHH....you have a short convenient memory!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiDiHX50zT4

OOOOOOOPS!!!!

Who would come back to avail themselves to that kind of arrogant disrespect???

RK

troy schwab
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah, yawn your way out of this, even the Republicans that were running for office in 2008 said we were headed for a depression. Thank God we never made it there.

you are either naive or ignorant to think we r in the clear........Fannie and Freddie will cause an enormous mess in the very near future......not to mention a host of other issues this country faces......YEP.....your man saved us all.......ROFLMAO

BonMallari
01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
I actually think that SCOTUS should ALL be absent from the SoTU, with the exception of the Chief Justice....at least with the three SCOTUS that will be absent we can see their law school transcripts :p:p

subroc
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch

Buzz
01-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Paul Ryan is a star and a core conservative.

RK

Yup your boy's plan is going to be really popular. He plans to take medicare away from everyone under the age of 55 and instead give them a voucher to go out and shop for a private health insurance plan. His plan for social security are unclear except that it looks like he's planning privatize it for everyone under the age of 55. On taxes he plans to further cut the taxes of the rich and raise them on the middle class. This will forward his adolescent wet dream of a libertarian utopia where the truly gifted artisans and industrialists are unchained and cannot any longer be exploited by society.

Ken Bora
01-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Or are you going to just watch the rebuttal? Or are you going to watch something else?

Yes I have it on right now, got home at 9:00

I think I've watched every State of the Union since Carter. I'll watch again tonight. I like to punish myself...

Same here, I always watch. I think Clinton gave some of the best.
Gosh that feller could talk! Even if you didn't like what he was saying he said it so well. Sadly nether Bush gould give a good speach to save their ass. Even if you loved what they were saying.... That used to chafe me some.

Jason Glavich
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I flipped it on long enough to hear the him make a bad reference using a plane and impact in the same sentence. Yes I heard the whole thing but you just don't use that reference. Poor taste in my opinion.

M&K's Retrievers
01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Revenge of the Nerds is on 258.

BonMallari
01-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Someone needs to teach Michele Bachmann how to talk and look into the camera,not read the teleprompter, it made it very annoying to watch

Nor_Cal_Angler
01-25-2011, 10:14 PM
not very inspiring....

Lacked depth, same old song from last year...

Talked the first third about "Investing" in this and that, education, infastructure, clean energy, teachers, bla bla bla...

Translation: SPEND MONEY!!!!

Talked the middle third about "Cutting debt".....ahhhh Mr. President your idea spread out over your timeline I think he said 2025 amounts to 40 billion a year....we spent 30 times that much last year alone...get a clue.

Translation: My entire second thrrd of my speach contradicts my first third so basicly I have no clue what I am going to do.

Last third was the typical Obama story telling time, all the children gather round now and listen to the wonderful stories....problem is we have heard them before....it reminded me of that favorite grandfather we all have that tells the same dang stories year after year after year...by the time your a teen you want to shout at him......POPS WE HEARD IT LAST YEAR!!!

About the only thing I agree with him on was his message of decreasing government bureaucracies (SP??) when he listed the 12 agencies reporting on 1 item, the dept of the interior watching over inland salmon and the dept of commerce watching over ocean fishery's....

FOLD THEM UP, stream line them what ever but why is there such a need for multipule agencies all doing the same thing.

That is what I took away from it...feel free to tell me my opinions dont make sense, dont hold water (cuz hey, someones OPINION should always hold water) and most imporantly dont matter even to me...the liberals on this board almost have me convinced that even my own opinion is useless especially to me.

NCA

dnf777
01-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Well, the responses were more predictable than the speech.

I just don't think the republicans even WANT to hear "working together". They're afraid it will catch on, and their constituents will actually want to see it. Their stated goal is to do everything to ensure that Obama fails, so they can regain power. Period.

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 05:44 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

RK

Do you have to SOIL every thread you post on?????????????

subroc
01-26-2011, 05:48 AM
...I just don't think the republicans even WANT to hear "working together"...

Well, it is all platitudes anyway. Was there any "working together" even broached in the most superficial way by the last congress? The last congress was all about left wing radical extremist policy. Working together be dammed.

But it sounds good. It gives you a nice convenient way to attack republicans.

road kill
01-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Do you have to SOIL every thread you post on?????????????

That post was relevant and newsworthy.

Everything you post is pointless and empty.

Game is on Roger.
Your posts are nothig more than trolling efforts to get attention (evidently the nurses are busy), of no value, you take away from every thread you post on.

Basically, the names that you call people, you know stupid and idiotic??

Well that is the essence of everything you post.

I don't normally do this, but you sir are a dunce!!
Every one here thinks so, you are the laughimg stock of POTUS!!

You prove that by the lack of any originality of any of the crap you post.
Now you have to copy me again.....how original.
Everything you post is somethinmg you overheard the big kids talk about at recess.

stan b

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 06:13 AM
From what I heard last night President Obama offered some solutions to lowering the deflect.

Obama did repeat his insistence that tax cuts on the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans, enacted during the administration of his predecessor, George W. Bush, must not be made permanent "if we truly care about our deficit."

In another proposal likely to be especially contentious, he called for elimination of tax subsidies for oil companies, which he said were "doing just fine on their own."

promise to veto any bill that comes to him with "earmarks" — the specific, often unrelated spending projects that individual lawmakers include in legislation for their own states and districts.

And like presidents before him, Obama came armed with examples of government "waste" to target.

The Republican rebuttal:

Republicans call for deep budget cuts

We all know cuts need to be made but the Republicans offered up nothing as to what specifically needs to be cut.:confused:

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 06:22 AM

Game is on Roger.
Your posts are nothig more than trolling efforts to get attention (evidently the nurses are busy), of no value, you take away from every thread you post on.

Everything you post is somethinmg you overheard the big kids talk about at recess.

stan b

Well Stan, from the remarks that GW Bush has made (see Bushisms) McCain (see flip flops and his denial of making statements) Sarah Palin (see interview videos) and Michelle Bachman (see videos) is how I came to those conclusions. I also think Pelosi is an idiot and any other politition that makes stupid remarks. I also think Al Gore (invertor of the internet) was a stupid remark. Did I leave anyone out???????

road kill
01-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Well Stan, from the remarks that GW Bush has made (see Bushisms) McCain (see flip flops and his denial of making statements) Sarah Palin (see interview videos) and Michelle Bachman (see videos) is how I came to those conclusions. I also think Pelosi is an idiot and any other politition that makes stupid remarks. I also think Al Gore (invertor of the internet) was a stupid remark. Did I leave anyone out???????

Yep, look in a mirror!!

stan b

ducknwork
01-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Yep, look in a mirror!!

stan b

Don't miss this gem...;)

From what I heard last night President Obama offered some solutions to lowering the deflect.

Franco
01-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Last night's speech was depressing. Not so much for what wasn't said, like how he planned to fix the problems. But, the clear lack of leadership from both sides of the isle.

If you think the GOP has a good chance of beating Obama in in 2012, where is that candidate? There is no one waiting in the wings to step up that has a snowball's chance in hell in winning.

quote;
What's not so funny, for Republican strategists and officials, is the absence of a standout in the aforementioned wide, not deep, field of prospects. Sarah Palin, no doubt, is hot -- probably too hot or polarizing to be nominated. Next in line are the retreads -- Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich -- who could be strong national candidates but haven't proven so in the past. Then there is the long line of wannabes now or recently in office -- Tim Pawlenty, Haley Barbour, John Thune and more -- who might or might not be ready for prime time.

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 06:47 AM

Game is on Roger.

stan b

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

RK

And really respectful HUH? Being disrespectful, isn't that what you just accused me of doing???????????? Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?????????????

road kill
01-26-2011, 07:57 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

RK

And really respectful HUH? Being disrespectful, isn't that what you just accused me of doing???????????? Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?????????????
So, as usual, you are oblivious to the facts and the back story.:rolleyes:

Maybe someone else could clue you in.

Roger, think of the POTUS board as sort of like a bank account.
You make deposits and withdrawels.
And you sir are overdrawn!!:D

stan b

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 08:20 AM
So, as usual, you are oblivious to the facts and the back story.:rolleyes:

Maybe someone else could clue you in.

Roger, think of the POTUS board as sort of like a bank account.
You make deposits and withdrawels.
And you sir are overdrawn!!:D

stan b

I have no idea what you are talking about:confused:

Ken Bora
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Some things I noticed.

I liked not having Pelosi popping up and down behind like a possessed jack-in-the-box, like last year.
I liked the Salmon line, unlike some of the news common-taters, who are wailing at the comedy attempt.
He only stammered and lost his place once, the Chilean rescue story. Unlike last year.
And AFTER… when he stepped down and was mingling with the cabinet before starting the walk out.
Did any of you pick up on him not shaking Hillary’s hand? He made a mini-loop in that tight circle and
actually they brushed shoulders once and almost brushed a second. Yet…..
What do we read into this?????????????

And I thought the Republican response feller spoke very well. It was only a 10 minute statement.
And no live room feedback. So not much can be expected.

I did not watch the tea party response person, I needed sleep. So am unable to comment on that one.

road kill
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Some things I noticed.

I liked not having Pelosi popping up and down behind like a possessed jack-in-the-box, like last year.
I liked the Salmon line, unlike some of the news common-taters, who are wailing at the comedy attempt.
He only stammered and lost his place once, the Chilean rescue story. Unlike last year.
And AFTER… when he stepped down and was mingling with the cabinet before starting the walk out.
Did any of you pick up on him not shaking Hillary’s hand? He made a mini-loop in that tight circle and
actually they brushed shoulders once and almost brushed a second. Yet…..
What do we read into this?????????????

And I thought the Republican response feller spoke very well. It was only a 10 minute statement.
And no live room feedback. So not much can be expected.

I did not watch the tea party response person, I needed sleep. So am unable to comment on that one.

Well, Mr. Ken, lots of people didn't watch it, but they will comment on it anyway!!!:D

RK

Buzz
01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about:confused:

Don't worry about it. If you disagree with Stan, you're either stupid or you're a smarty pants and a bully.

road kill
01-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Don't worry about it. If you disagree with Stan, you're either stupid or you're a smarty pants and a bully.

I have never used any of those terms to describe anyone here.

Roger on the other hand uses them quite regularly.

And you know that, don't you???;-)

RK

BrianW
01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Fwiw, I heard some things that really raised my hackles among the calls to spend, spend, spend. Oh, I mean "invest".:rolleyes:

"That’s what Americans have done for over 200 years: reinvented ourselves."
We need to take responsibility for our deficit (true) and reform our government.
We live and do business in the Information Age, but the last major reorganization of the government happened in the age of black-and-white TV.
But we need to think bigger. In the coming months, my administration will develop a proposal to merge, consolidate, and reorganize the federal government in a way that best serves the goal of a more competitive America.
Our success in this new and changing world will require reform, responsibility, and innovation.

Just like the code word "invest" means "spend", every time this President says "reinvent, reorganize, & reform", he means "transform", imo. But he can't come out and say that, because that word draws too much attention.

When we have the founding principles "that has made America not just a place on a map, but the light to the world." what doe you intend to reform (transform) them to?
If you have a house that, while it needs some repairs, is the model home that everyone wants to live in, do you say you're going to reform it or are you going to restore it?

We can’t win the future with a government of the past.
Pardon me, Mr President but, YES WE CAN! .
That's what we done for that last 235 years, and we can do for the next as well.

If "we all (truly) believe in the rights enshrined in our Constitution."

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I have never used any of those terms to describe anyone here.

Roger on the other hand uses them quite regularly.

And you know that, don't you???;-)

RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Perry http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=738956#post738956)

Yep, look in a mirror!!

stan b

Game is on Roger.

Looks like John McCain is not the only one that doesn't remember what he says.:rolleyes:

luvmylabs23139
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

What the heck is the "deflect"?:rolleyes:

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
What the heck is the "deflect"?:rolleyes:

A misspelled word. Remember I was not an "A" student in english like you were, but you were caught misusing the english language.;-) Should have been deficit. I did not proof read before I hit the submit button.

ducknwork
01-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Perry http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=738956#post738956)

Yep, look in a mirror!!

stan b

Game is on Roger.

Looks like John McCain is not the only one that doesn't remember what he says.:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to get in the middle of your urinating match, but PLEASE learn how to use the quote function....

Carry on...

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm not trying to get in the middle of your urinating match, but PLEASE learn how to use the quote function....

Carry on...

As I said, I was never an "A" student in English;-)

BonMallari
01-26-2011, 12:32 PM
As I said, I was never an "A" student in English;-)

You must have been absent in American Govt class or from your Civics class too :p:p

Roger Perry
01-26-2011, 12:36 PM
You must have been absent in American Govt class or from your Civics class too :p:p

:lol: :oops: Ya got me there, good one.