PDA

View Full Version : Here it Comes Folks.....

road kill
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
White House to Push Gun Control
Obama intentionally did not mention gun control in his State of the Union, but aides say that in the next two weeks the administration will unveil a campaign to get Congress to toughen existing laws.

Evan Vucci / AP
Arizona Congressmen Jeff Flake (left) and Raul Grijalva sit next to the empty seat of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords on Capitol Hill before President Obama's recent State of the Union address.
At the beginning of his State of the Union address, President Obama tipped his hat to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who’s now recuperating in a Houston medical facility. But throughout the hourlong speech, he never addressed the issue at the core of the Giffords tragedy—gun control—and what lawmakers would, or should, do to reform American firearm-access laws.

That was intentional, according to the White House. An administration official says Obama didn’t mention guns in his speech because of the omnipresent controversy surrounding the Second Amendment and gun control. Tuesday’s speech was designed to be more about the economy and how, as Obama repeated nine times, the U.S. could “win the future.”

But in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort in which it will urge Congress to strengthen current laws, which now allow some mentally unstable people, such as alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner, to obtain certain assault weapons, in some cases without even a background check.

Tuesday night after the speech, Obama adviser David Plouffe said to NBC News that the president would not let the moment after the Arizona shootings pass without pushing for some change in the law, to prevent another similar incident. “It’s a very important issue, and one I know there’s going to be debate about on the Hill.”

The White House said that to avoid being accused of capitalizing on the Arizona shootings for political gain, Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month. He’s also expected to use Arizona as a starting point, but make the case that America’s gun laws have been too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks.

As the White House prepares its strategy, several gun-policy groups are saying they were burned by the lack of any mention of guns in the president’s highest-profile speech of the year. “President Obama tonight failed to challenge old assumptions on the need for, and political possibilities of, reducing the gun violence—which he suggested should be done two weeks ago in Tucson,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation’s largest gun-safety group. No group said it had been consulted by the White House regarding legislative suggestions.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has stayed largely silent following the Arizona shootings. Asked about a specialized White House effort on guns, a spokesman for the powerful gun lobby declined to comment.

__________________________________________________ ________

You do realize that sooner or later, the middle of the road independents will win, right???
Sooner or later, they will disarm the citizenry................:rolleyes:

RK

BonMallari
01-27-2011, 03:21 PM
its sad that they will try and use the Giffords shooting as a backdrop for anti gun legislation when in fact Congresswoman Giffords is a pro 2nd amendment supporter

ducknwork
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Well...they are right, you know. If owning a gun was against the law, that criminal never would have shot her. I am sure he would not want to break two laws at one time...

troy schwab
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
The ignorance about gun control on capitol hill is overwhelming. Gun control does not effect criminals...... will someone tell the dumbass at the helm.......

Jason Glavich
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Well...they are right, you know. If owning a gun was against the law, that criminal never would have shot her. I am sure he would not want to break two laws at one time...

The worst part is this guy bought the gun legally, the true side of most criminals mainly the career type is they never get them the legal way so the laws only restrict the honest good citizen. I always laugh at some friends who are anti gun because a career criminal killed someone they knew. I ask how they got the gun and the reply it was stolen which is why no one should own them so they can't be stolen.

duh!

dnf777
01-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Best thing we can hope for is that Giffords makes a quick and full recovery, and speaks on behalf of gun ownership rights. What better spokesperson?

troy schwab
01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
It will be very interesting to see if Obama takes a stance on this...... My bet is he'll play the fence and just oversee the whole shenanigan....... This would absolutely crush his already wounded appearance..... Tread lightly Mr. President. We will see.......

duckheads
01-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh come on dnf had the NRA put something out on this you and buzz would be hitting the right wing paranoia crap like you always do. Our "resident independants" have said in the past that your savior is not coming after our guns. And low and behold "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Here another good article on the subject.

http://yesbuthowever.com/democrats-waste-mantra-5000220/

dnf777
01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh come on dnf had the NRA put something out on this you and buzz would be hitting the right wing paranoia crap like you always do. Our "resident independants" have said in the past that your savior is not coming after our guns. And low and behold "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Here another good article on the subject.

http://yesbuthowever.com/democrats-waste-mantra-5000220/

Gee, that's funny duckhead, I am a life-member of the NRA and get all their mailings, so I think I would know about this.

Thus far, Obama has NOT gone after any gun rights. If he does, he will damage himself beyond electability. Too many independent voters, such as myself, feel strongly about gun rights.

BTW, are you a member of the NRA?

And why do you and a handful of others always seem to voice "what I would say" or "what I'm thinking?" I didn't think I had a problem speaking up??

duckheads
01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes I am a life member also. Sorry I guess I have you confused with one of the other left wing "Independants" on here.

dnf777
01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes I am a life member also. Sorry I guess I have you confused with one of the other left wing "Independants" on here.

What you are confused about, is not letting anyone else have a different political opinion, without labeling them as the "enemy".

there are things I am more conservative about than almost anyone here, but they would not like to hear them.

That is a major reason why the republican party caved in on itself in 06 and 08, why there is a tea party, and why if they're not careful, they will continue to fracture and lose viability. Intolerance of independent thought. As disorganized as the democrats seem to be most of the time, they have figured out how to accommodate a wide latitude of ideologies. That is why many independent voters, being shunned and called "left wing independents", chose to side with the democrats last election. Generally, they may not be happy with the democratic caucus, but were pushed to that side nonetheless by narrow minded republicans.

Now, you, huntingman and MK can attack me, and say my opinion on republicans isn't worth a flip, and you're right. But I WAS a republican, still vote for some republicans, was briefly a democrat, and now don't affiliate with any party. There are many millions of voters just like me. Keep pushing us away from the GOP and see how far you get. Sarah Palin might be attractive and have a successful tv show, but her viewers aren't enough to carry a national election.

starjack
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
I wounder how many back room deal and late night session that this admin. is known for to get what they want on gun control. NRA MEMBER TO.

BonMallari
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Sarah Palin might be attractive and have a successful tv show, but her viewers aren't enough to carry a national election.

and now there is another Queen Bee that wants to be THE Queen Bee in the hive so to speak

M&K's Retrievers
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Thus far, Obama has NOT gone after any gun rights. If he does, he will damage himself beyond electability. ......

Can you say Sotomayer and Kagen?

Duh! Homer Simpson regards,

dnf777
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Can you say Sotomayer and Kagen?

Duh! Homer Simpson regards,

Other than the DC handgun ban case, (which ruled in favor of gun rights) has the court recently ruled on any second-amendment rights challenges?

I'll skip the Homer regards. They're really not necessary, are they?

M&K's Retrievers
01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Other than the DC handgun ban case, (which ruled in favor of gun rights) has the court recently ruled on any second-amendment rights challenges?

It's what they are likely to do when given the opportunity.

What's wrong with Homer?

dnf777
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
What's wrong with Homer?

I don't want to be rude, so please understand that if I don't reply to your every post, its because I find ones like that petty and childish. Have you noticed that you have responded to EVERY post I make? Its like a MK magnet!
Sometimes they have beef, and I respond, but from now on, I'm going to ignore these "just HAVE to say SOMETHING" and sling some dirt posts of yours.

Have a good one...

Julie R.
01-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Ummm....Sotomayer and Kagan weren't yet SC judges when the D.C. handgun law was being argued.

M&K's Retrievers
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Ummm....Sotomayer and Kagan weren't yet SC judges when the D.C. handgun law was being argued.

Don't confuse dnf with facts.

Joe Friday regards,

road kill
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Don't confuse dnf with facts.

Joe Friday regards,

Joe squaring Barack;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXlu-hwPrrw&NR=1

RK:cool:

luvmylabs23139
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Chicago gun ban. Soyota whatever her name is was in the minority.

Steve Hester
01-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Gee, that's funny duckhead, I am a life-member of the NRA and get all their mailings, so I think I would know about this.

Thus far, Obama has NOT gone after any gun rights. If he does, he will damage himself beyond electability. Too many independent voters, such as myself, feel strongly about gun rights.

BTW, are you a member of the NRA?

And why do you and a handful of others always seem to voice "what I would say" or "what I'm thinking?" I didn't think I had a problem speaking up??

Obama has already gone after your gun rights by supporting the Small Arms Limitation Treaty.:rolleyes:

dnf777
01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Obama has already gone after your gun rights by supporting the Small Arms Limitation Treaty.:rolleyes:

Forgot about that. yeah, I don't like it one bit, but it still has to go through congress to be ratified.

Obama has moved to the center since November, much faster and more effectively that Clinton did in '94. I hope I'm not wrong, but I don't see a gun-control agenda emerging anytime soon. Of course there will be some sneak plays, but I think most politicians will publicly treat it like a hot horseshoe.

BrianW
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Best thing we can hope for is that Giffords makes a quick and full recovery, and speaks on behalf of gun ownership rights. What better spokesperson?

Totally agree with you here, Dave. Nothing better (imo) could happen than a statement (even a written one) to the effect of "I have always been & will continue to be a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. This shooting was the act of a criminal, who did not care about laws, and I will not let it, or my name, be used to justify further restrictions on the rights of law abiding Americans."

Unfortunately, my gut tells me otherwise.

And even if she does stay true to her history, there are far too many folks that have been just waiting for something like this to try to push even a little more of their disarmament agenda in the name of "closing the loopholes" (my take, tightening the noose :mad:) such as Rep. Carolyn McCarthy and her magazine restriction bill which will :

# 10 round limit
# Importation completely prohibited.
# Transfer completely prohibited
# Manufacture completely prohibited
# Grandfathering for current owners only.
# Exception for law enforcement
# Ten year prison sentence for violation

* Would ban stripper clips that hold more than 10 rounds.
* Would ban any gun with a fixed tubular magazine that was not a .22 that held more than 10 rounds.
* Ban any gun with a fixed magazine capacity that is more than 10 rounds of any caliber, if magazine is not tubular.
* Would ban all belted ammunition, or parts that could be use to make up a belt.
* Would ban any repair parts for a magazine if the repair parts could be used to make a magazine.
* Exempt retired law enforcement

Rep. McCarthy, Advocates Introduce Bill to Ban High-Capacity Ammo Magazines

Tuesday January 18, 2011
Coalition Constructing Comprehensive

Grassroots & Capitol Hill Effort to Advance Cause
WASHINGTON DC – U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY04) was joined by leading national advocates for reducing gun violence today to discuss the introduction of – and a plan to advance – her legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines such as that used in the tragic shooting in Tucson, AZ.
The bill was scheduled to be formally introduced in the House of Representatives later in the evening. It is being carried in the Senate by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), who will introduce it later this month.
The bill brings the nation to the same 10-round-maximum standard used in four other states today, as well as nationwide for a decade while the previous federal assault weapons ban was in effect. It closes a gaping loophole in the previous ban in which magazines manufactured before the law went into effect could still be sold or transferred.
“I know what it’s like to have tragedy brought to your life in a split second by a madman with high-capacity ammunition magazines,” said Rep. McCarthy, whose husband was killed and son seriously wounded by a gunman on the Long Island Railroad in 1993. “I’m working to stop it from happening again. We need comprehensive reform to reduce the number of people hurt or killed by gunfire in America, but one simple way we can do that is by keeping the worst tools of mass murder away from the general public. This nation has come together before to support this simple, commonsense measure, and it is the law in several states right now. It is a small sacrifice that law-abiding gun owners can make once again in order to increase everyone’s safety.”
In addition to the bill’s precedent in state and federal law, prominent Second-Amendment rights advocate Robert A. Levy said in a published report last week, “I don't see any constitutional bar to regulating high-capacity magazines. Justice [Antonin] Scalia made it quite clear some regulations are permitted. The Second Amendment is not absolute.”
The bill, which was distributed to House members on Thursday before the holiday weekend, is being introduced with 42 co-sponsors (list below). Rep. McCarthy and the advocates expect to win over many more through comprehensive grassroots and Capitol Hill campaigns involving direct outreach to House members and staff, email and social media activism, state- and district-level organizing and traditional media outreach.
U.S. Sen. Lautenberg said: “High-capacity gun magazines are tools for murder. This common-sense legislation would make it more difficult for someone to carry out a killing spree. Before 2004, these ammunition magazines were banned, and they must be banned again. I am proud to partner on this effort with Rep. McCarthy, who has worked tirelessly throughout her career to curb gun violence in our nation.”
U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) said: "The tragic shooting in Arizona illustrates what can happen when criminals and dangerous individuals have access to high-capacity ammunition magazines, weaponry that belongs in the hands of law enforcement and the military. Congress should restore the ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, which was part of the assault weapons law that expired in 2004. I look forward to working with Rep. McCarthy and my Senate colleagues to determine the best way to renew that ban.”
U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand(D-NY) said, "This proposal has worked here in New York State and could be a model for the country. I have been proud to work with Congresswoman McCarthy on a number of common sense, reasonable legislative proposals to eliminate this kind of horrible gun violence, including legislation to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. I also commend New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and the Violence Policy Center for their critically important advocacy."
U.S. Rep Jim Moran (D-VA08) said: "We cannot escape the thought that lives may have been spared in Tucson had a high-capacity magazine not been so readily available. It is our responsibility to balance the rights of gun owners with the rights of people like nine year old Christina Taylor Green to live a full and productive life. While we will not be able to prevent every gun death, the bill introduced today takes a first step towards protecting the public from the next psychopath bent on mayhem."

The following 42 House members are original co-sponsors of the bill as of the afternoon of Jan. 18:
Rep. Gary Ackerman
Rep. Robert Brady
Rep. Steve Cohen
Rep. Judy Chu
Rep. David Cicilline
Rep. William Lacy Clay
Rep. Gerald Connolly
Rep. John Conyers
Rep. Donna Edwards
Rep. Keith Ellison
Rep. Anna Eshoo
Rep. Sam Farr
Rep. Jane Harman
Rep. Alcee Hastings
Rep. Jim Himes
Rep. Mazie Hirono
Rep. Chris Van Hollen
Rep. Rush Holt
Rep. Mike Honda
Rep. Steve Israel
Rep. James Langevin
Rep. Nita Lowey
Rep. Carolyn Maloney
Rep. Doris Matsui
Rep. Betty McCollum
Rep. Jim McGovern
Rep. Gregory Meeks
Rep. George Miller
Rep. James Moran
Rep. Jerrold Nadler
Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton
Rep. Bill Pascrell
Rep. Chellie Pingree
Rep. Mike Quigley
Rep. Jose Serrano
Rep. Brad Sherman
Rep. Jackie Spear
Rep. Louise Slaughter
Rep. John Yarmuth
Rep. Henry Waxman
Rep. Maxine Waters
Rep. Anthony Weiner

BrianW
01-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Obama has moved to the center since November, much faster and more effectively that Clinton did in '94. .

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there.

All he's really done is let up on the over-pressure on his push to the left. The resultant relaxation of the structure makes it appear to move to the center.
He still wants a strong central "command & control" Federal government as evidenced by the SoTU speech. All roads (and high speed rails, Internet cables, solar cells, etc) still would lead to Washington DC.
His idea of "government efficiency" will be to minimize as many of the checks & balances that get in his way as possible for the next term and for that of his hopeful progressive successor.

dnf777
01-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Nope.
I'll still get called a "lib" so it won't do any good.
I'm not worried about what you, or anyone else decides to label me.

Hey, what happened to Pense? He must be too liberal for the GOP also?!

Marvin S
01-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey, what happened to Pense?

Who???????????????

BonMallari
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Nope.

There is speculation that Pence will run for the Gov seat being vacated by Mitch Daniels

duckheads
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
And I just read in the paper this morning that Mitch will be making a presidential decision soon!

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/article_e44c160b-5ff2-5c22-9ee8-273f54540e7f.html

BrianW
01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Nope.
So what have you got to lose? ;)

It'd be interesting to see how you balance what most here would view as your 'left leaning" views w/ some far right ones and come back to the "dead center", as you decribed your results from that "test" a while back. :).

road kill
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9jNLF2jmU

Just sayin'.......

RK

dnf777
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
So what have you got to lose? ;)

It'd be interesting to see how you balance what most here would view as your 'left leaning" views w/ some far right ones and come back to the "dead center", as you decribed your results from that "test" a while back. :).

I've already said I get run out of town by my liberal friends for being a life member of NRA, shooting cute little birds, and having a big black dog to retrieve them for me. I have yet to see a party with one tenth the fiscal responsibility I practice in my own household.

You guys are just equal and opposite to my nutty extreme liberal friends. Much more exclsionary, though.

What is the fascination? I have beliefs that I am not willing to share here. Not to be rude, but its none of anyone's business, whom I don't choose toshare it with! Even when I espouse conservative ideas, I get attacked for them because I've already been labeled by the brainchilds here.

So have a nice day...lets move the conversation on.

How 'bout the freedom protesters in Egypt? I pray they achieve their goals of freedom, in a peaceful manner.

M&K's Retrievers
01-28-2011, 08:05 PM
I've already said I get run out of town by my liberal friends for being a life member of NRA, shooting cute little birds, and having a big black dog to retrieve them for me. I have yet to see a party with one tenth the fiscal responsibility I practice in my own household.

You guys are just equal and opposite to my nutty extreme liberal friends. Much more exclsionary, though.

What is the fascination? I have beliefs that I am not willing to share here. Not to be rude, but its none of anyone's business, whom I don't choose toshare it with! Even when I espouse conservative ideas, I get attacked for them because I've already been labeled by the brainchilds here.

So have a nice day...lets move the conversation on.

How 'bout the freedom protesters in Egypt? I pray they achieve their goals of freedom, in a peaceful manner.

Tick, tick, tick...

Uncle Bill
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
So comes now the Great Independant with this quote:

"That is a major reason why the republican party caved in on itself in 06 and 08, why there is a tea party, and why if they're not careful, they will continue to fracture and lose viability. Intolerance of independent thought. As disorganized as the democrats seem to be most of the time, they have figured out how to accommodate a wide latitude of ideologies. That is why many independent voters, being shunned and called "left wing independents", chose to side with the democrats last election. Generally, they may not be happy with the democratic caucus, but were pushed to that side nonetheless by narrow minded republicans."

That's NOT an independant view...it's an ignorant view. Republicans aren't pushing this vast sea of open-minded 'good-guys' under the bus...you, Obama, and the sycophantic toadies in the MSP are doing that.

With your open-jawed reverence for the likes of Anderson Cooper, and those two clowns on the comedy channel, coupled with backing that unAmerican Soros jerk, it's hard to keep an "open mind" about your beliefs. Every chance you get, you undermine the conservative beliefs of America, the Founders, the Constitution, with some wasted view of patriotism that would make any of the 60's batch of hippies proud to call you their brother.

You just haven't figured out where you belong, so you vacillate between what you think might sound good, and what might make everyone think you are above the average, and would never sink to just the basic beliefs of a true hard working TEA party activist. Your arrogance couldn't possibly allow you to be anything but an independant. Sadly, you can't claim that view either, because you and everyone else knows it's phoney.

UB

dnf777
01-28-2011, 08:30 PM
You just haven't figured out where you belong, so you vacillate between what you think might sound good, and what might make everyone think you are above the average, and would never sink to just the basic beliefs of a true hard working TEA party activist. Your arrogance couldn't possibly allow you to be anything but an independant. Sadly, you can't claim that view either, because you and everyone else knows it's phoney.

UB

I haven't seen a teabagger that works as hard as I do. they seem to have time to drool over palin and beck. I'm very happy right where I am, despite your self-proclaimed ability to put everybody in your little pigeon holes! I do find you entertaining!

M&K, thank you for reminding me, I've wasted enough time in another boring, useless thread. They all start out good, then you and your ilk take over with the romper room antics.

Have a wonderful weekend, while some of us are working!

road kill
01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I haven't seen a teabagger that works as hard as I do. they seem to have time to drool over palin and beck. I'm very happy right where I am, despite your self-proclaimed ability to put everybody in your little pigeon holes! I do find you entertaining!

M&K, thank you for reminding me, I've wasted enough time in another boring, useless thread. They all start out good, then you and your ilk take over with the romper room antics.

Very nice...........:rolleyes:

RK

M&K's Retrievers
01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

The fuse is getting shorter regards,

dnf777
01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
The fuse is getting shorter regards,

There is no fuse my friend.

Why do you insist on trying to stir things up?
That's not why we're here, is it?
Why don't we stick to debating and sharing ideas, and skip the goading and taunting.

Gibson is gone. I think we saw what a negative influence such a catalyst can have. While I do get passionate on certian issues, I try not to call anyone here names or insult them personally. While I'm not perfect, I do not go out of my way to taunt people into personal grudges.

Again, I enjoy sharing ideas, even butting heads in a constructive manner, and I don't want to appear rude, but if you're just going to taunt and try to stir up hard feelings, then I'm choosing not to play that game.

JDogger
01-28-2011, 09:19 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/gdpit_com_41490242_65.gif

Time to bring this one back

Hew
01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
What is the fascination? I have beliefs that I am not willing to share here. Not to be rude, but its none of anyone's business, whom I don't choose toshare it with!
I don't know what's funnier...the notion that anyone who has shattered every RFT posting record would be coy about providing an example or two of his supposed Bircher roots when he's flapped his gums ad naseum about every other subject under the sun, OR the notion that a guy who had a cup of coffee as a Republican while a post-pubescent in high school can pretend that he was a staunch Republican who was left behind when the supposed kooks took over his party. Can I just hoist the bullsh!t flag to both? ;-)

Marvin S
01-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Why don't we stick to debating and sharing ideas, and skip the goading and taunting. Why don't you - mr. have nothing to add that is of value?

Gibson is gone. But not forgotten I think we saw what a negative influence such a catalyst can have. & you believe your postings are above that :BIG: While I do get passionate on certian issues, I try not to call anyone here names or insult them personally. While I'm not perfect, I do not go out of my way to taunt people into personal grudges. To that I call a big HOYA HOYA :o

Again, I enjoy sharing ideas, even butting heads in a constructive manner, and I don't want to appear rude, but if you're just going to taunt and try to stir up hard feelings, then I'm choosing not to play that game.

You might tell the folks here that you do not think yourself "A legend in your own, playing FB without a helmet mind".

Your post is the biggest bunch of hoya hoya I've seen on this forum in quite some time.

dnf777
01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice posts guys. Good to see you again!

Geez, I was trying to make nice, and seemed to stir you guy's passions more than ever!

Maybe MK should take notes, I seem to do a better job of setting off fuses when I'm not even trying!?

Have a nice weekend gents.....

M&K's Retrievers
01-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I seem to do a better job of setting off fuses when I'm not even trying!?

Well, you got that going for ya'. Perhaps you might want to think about that.

road kill
01-29-2011, 07:23 AM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/gdpit_com_41490242_65.gif

Time to bring this one back

Which one are YOU???:shock:

RK

dnf777
01-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Well, you got that going for ya'. Perhaps you might want to think about that.

Your problem, not mine.

Have a good one.

Off to work now.

BrianW
01-29-2011, 10:53 PM
had the NRA put something out on this ..
Just FYI
NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS ALERT
Vol. 18, No. 4 01/28/11

Obama To Push Gun Control Soon (http://www.nramedia.org/t/30681/4270421/1504/0/)

To the dismay of the Brady Campaign and other gun ban groups, President Barack Obama didn’t address gun control during his State of the Union address on January 25th. However, Newsweek reports (http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/27/white-house-to-push-gun-control.html) that “in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort,” and that the White House confirms, “Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month.” According to Newsweek, Obama believes that gun laws have been “too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks” following the murders in Tucson, Arizona.
Precisely what President Obama might have in mind is uncertain. His post-election transition website advocated reimposing the expired federal “assault weapon” ban, but that ban would clearly be irrelevant in the wake of a shooting that involved a firearm not covered by the old ban.
The President, a long-time gun control supporter, has been conspicuously silent on gun control restrictions since taking office. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the anti-gun groups prodding him to support their agendas. Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which sent the President a long list of gun control recommendations in August of 2009, is proposing that all private sales of firearms be subject to checks through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)—which would have been irrelevant in Tucson, since the accused killer acquired his guns from a dealer. MAIG is also calling for “fixing (http://fixgunchecks.s3.amazonaws.com/191/7a/f/43/a_plan_to_prevent_future_tragedies.pdf)” NICS. Among the many “fixes” the group has in mind is that “people who have been suspended or expelled from a federally funded college or university because of mental illness” and “people who are compelled by a court to take medication for mental illness or to get other mental health care” would be prohibited from possessing firearms. MAIG also proposes to extend the prohibition to anyone who has had a drug-related arrest, a failed drug test, an admission of drug use, or a drug-related conviction within the previous five years.
Concurrently, the Brady Campaign is throwing its support behind H.R. 308—the “more than 10 round” magazine ban introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.)—and asks the group’s supporters to sign a petition (http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/Survey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=2960) urging “a few basic steps,” with neither the “steps” nor the intended recipient of the petition disclosed (to read a detailed fact sheet on H.R. 308, please click here (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=269&issue=005)).
The Violence Policy Center, which guided McCarthy in crafting her magazine ban bill, is supporting it with yet another of its countless “analyses”-- Accessories to Murder: High-Capacity Magazines (http://www.vpc.org/studies/accessories.pdf)—and a similar effort (http://vpc.org/fact_sht/AZbackgrounder.pdf) directed against the type of pistol used in Tucson. The VPC uses the opportunity to suggest, as it often does, that gun ownership is fading, by referring to standard magazines for self-defense handguns as a marketing tool the firearm industry uses to appeal to “its shrinking customer base.” That's an interesting argument to hear from a group that has no members, while the number of guns possessed by Americans increases year after year.
The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence—VPC leader Josh Sugarmann’s employer back when the group was known as the National Coalition to Ban Handguns—advocates (http://www.csgv.org/media-web/press-releases/207-statement-of-csgv-on-tucson-shooting-rampage) not merely running NICS checks on gun buyers, but “investigating” them as well. The group also insists that the Tucson shooting was the result of “insurrectionist rhetoric” the group blames on conservatives, various politicians, and the five justices who joined the Supreme Court’s Heller decision—rather than being the act of one deranged individual, as all available evidence suggests.
And, in a return to his modus operandi of vilifying gun shows and the purchase of firearms by show attendees, this week anti-gun Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), introduced legislation to “establish background check procedures for gun shows.” As usual, this bill is not about gun shows. Rather, S. 35 is the latest rendition in a long line of Lautenberg-introduced bills that are nothing more than “solutions” in search of a problem. Numerous government studies have determined that gun shows are an insignificant source of firearms misused in crime.
Which, if any, of these proposals and theories will get the president’s endorsement remains to be seen. But gun owners should be prepared: The second two years of President Obama’s term may be tougher than the first.

BrianW
01-29-2011, 11:19 PM
From the link in my previous post:

STATEMENT OF CSGV ON TUCSON SHOOTING RAMPAGE
Washington, DC—Those of us at the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence are deeply dismayed at the horrific shooting rampage that occurred in Tucson this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers—and the thoughts and prayers of all our member organizations—are with the victims and survivors of this terrible tragedy. We hope for a full recovery for all of those who lie wounded today.

Sadly, Saturday’s tragedy was both predictable and inevitable. Insurrectionist rhetoric—which posits that the Second Amendment gives individuals the right to take violent action when they believe that our government has become “tyrannical”—was once confined to the dark corners of gun shows and the Internet. In today’s America, however, it has become a “mainstream” idea that is widely promoted by movement conservatives, high-profile media figures, and even elected officials and candidates. Tucson was not unique—since the conservative wing of the Supreme Court embraced the insurrectionist idea :shock: in the D.C. v. Heller decision in 2008, there have been numerous threats and acts of violence against government officials (http://www.csgv.org/issues-and-campaigns/guns-democracy-and-freedom/insurrection-timeline).

Additionally, America’s weak gun laws continue to allow individuals who are obviously deranged to legally purchase semiautomatic firearms with high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Jared Lee Loughner’s history of mental illness, substance abuse and violent threats was well-known to law enforcement, the U.S. Army and his educators at Pima Community College. None of this, however, was detected by an instant, computerized background check that takes just a few minutes and involves no actual investigation of the gun purchasers.

If we are to avoid future massacres, our elected officials must institute policies that prioritize public safety and human life over gun industry profits. And they must speak out in no uncertain terms against poisonous insurrectionist ideology that threatens the integrity of our democracy itself.

And the lefty's think the NRA is "whacked"?
Now the SCOTUS is "insurrectionist, along with those that believe in our guaranteed rights? :rolleyes:

Never mind That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,...
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Damn that pesky DoI and those irritating "insurrectionist" Founders

Anybody remember when the hoplophobes said that BC's would be the answer and we caved thinking that was "reasonable"?
Here's more proof that all they want to do is push the agenda bit by bit.
What, BATFE agents are going to have to interview your friends, neighbors, co-workers, school mates, fellow church goers etc if you want to exercise your God given right to protect yourself?

M&K's Retrievers
01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Your problem, not mine.

Have a good one.

Off to work now.

??????????????:confused:

huntinman
01-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Why don't we stick to debating and sharing ideas, and skip the goading and taunting.

Gibson is gone. I think we saw what a negative influence such a catalyst can have. While I do get passionate on certian issues, I try not to call anyone here names or insult them personally. While I'm not perfect, I do not go out of my way to taunt people into personal grudges.

This response of yours is total BS as proven by your constant use of one word for the purpose of the very thing you decry in the above response: Teabagger... Holier than thou regards...

dnf777
01-31-2011, 05:46 AM
This response of yours is total BS as proven by your constant use of one word for the purpose of the very thing you decry in the above response: Teabagger... Holier than thou regards...

Sorry if that offends you. I'm just using a word that the tea-party itself has used to describe itself. But really, its just faster to type than having to look down and find the "hyphen" key. And if that's the most offensive reference I use, I'd say that's pretty mild!

ducknwork
01-31-2011, 07:56 AM
It really doesn't matter how long I stay away, this place is still pathetic when I come back.