PDA

View Full Version : Snow Day!!!

road kill
02-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Well, for the first time in 38 years, I am taking a snow day off work.
Of course I'll be on the phone and playing with my computer, but we ain't rollin' for a while.

16+" of snow on top of the 12+" we already had.
40+mph sustained winds.

I guess I am getting old, but even the plows are not out yet.
My company is closed.
Pics;
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/snoday112.jpg

Elvis is diggin' it though!!!!!!:D

How's it by youse???

stan b

BrianW
02-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Glad to hear you're safe so far and hope PP others are as well.

On this side of the Rockies, things are just cold (+2 F) but dry, maybe some snow by the weekend but nothing like I'm hearing about back there..
Magnum tore off his rt dew claw during bumper work on the ice so he's down for a few.

Y'all take care back there.

TxHillHunter
02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Well, for the first time in 38 years, I am taking a snow day off work.
Of course I'll be on the phone and playing with my computer, but we ain't rollin' for a while.

16+" of snow on top of the 12+" we already had.
40+mph sustained winds.

I guess I am getting old, but even the plows are not out yet.
My company is closed.
Pics;
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/snoday112.jpg

Elvis is diggin' it though!!!!!!:D

How's it by youse???

stan b

WOW - memories of our house a block away from Lake Erie when I was little! That is a lot of snow....

Here in the Tx Hill Country, it's clear, cold (15 with a wind chill of 8), but the world is moving....no snow, no ice.

Enjoy your day. I expect to return from work and see that you have been hard at work here! :cool:

road kill
02-02-2011, 08:34 AM
WOW - memories of our house a block away from Lake Erie when I was little! That is a lot of snow....

Here in the Tx Hill Country, it's clear, cold (15 with a wind chill of 8), but the world is moving....no snow, no ice.

Enjoy your day. I expect to return from work and see that you have been hard at work here! :cool:

It's not just the snow, it's the "sustained" 40mph winds.

The big intersection in DT Milwaukee is closed so I can't even get thru right now.

Plus, since everything else is closed, no clients will be in.

So yes, I'll be playin' here today (as usual really).

I have 2 computers up, internet & intranet.

Most of my business is web driven anyways.

Be careful out there!!!;-)

stan b

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
WEST PALM BEACH, FL

Change city
WedThuFriSatSunWed 02
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/images/tools/weather/icons/48x48/03.png
H 80
L 64
Partly sunny
Thu 03
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/images/tools/weather/icons/48x48/04.png
H 78
L 68
Times of clouds and sun
Fri 04
H 81
L 67
Partly sunny and breezy
Sat 05
H 79
L 60
A couple of showers possible
Sun 06http://www.palmbeachpost.com/images/tools/weather/icons/48x48/03.png
H 77
L 63
Partial sunshine

:-P

Blackstone
02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
We got about 10" here. We had 40 mph winds last night, and the high today is only going to be 9 degrees. Schools are closed, but a lot of businesses are open. I work from home, so no day off for me. My snow blower wouldn't fire up, so I'll be shoveling later. The joys of winter!!!

ducknwork
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
How's it by youse???

stan b

72 :Dand rainy/windy:(. Its supposed to get down around 30 something tonight though. I really don't care if it goes ahead and warms up now. Duck season is over, so I don't need it to be cold anymore.

Good luck with that snow, RK. I don't think I have seen that much in my whole life.

Franco
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
How's it by youse???

stan b

It got so cold last night I had to turn the heat on in the house. Got down to 30 degrees and we should be in this weather pattern through the weekend. I even spotted some ice on the goldfish pond next to my patio. All of which should make for some ideal goose shooting this weekend!

dnf777
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Dodged a major bullet in NW Pa. Lots of snow, but all the ice (1/4" clear shell on everything) all melted by this morning.

I guess RK is sending us round 2 with his 40+mph winds and more snow...should be here soon!

Black bumper regards...

road kill
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Diggin' out;

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/Photo-0087.jpg

RK & Elvis

M&K's Retrievers
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
11 here on the TX/OK border. Roads still icy. Winds are supposed to be 25-30 again today. High 15.:( Wife is visiting grand kids in Dallas. They are having rolling 20 minute power blackouts. I believe this is happening all over North TX.

Canada Geese are looking for handouts in the back yard.

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Good news for y'all in the North------------
Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow -- Early spring!!!

Today is Groundhog Day! The scene at Gobblers Knob Wednesday, February 2, 2011, was rainy and cold, so no, Punxsutawney Phil did NOT see his shadow on Groundhog Day 2011. According to Groundhog.org, "The Prognosticator of Prognosticators, Punxsutawney Phil, once again appeared at sunrise at Gobbler's Knob in the Pennsylvania Wilds to make his annual prediction."

Punxsutawney Phil Says Spring Will Come Early
"Phil surveyed his surroundings and found no shadow, so an early spring it will be!"

Eric Johnson
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
After living in the north (upper Iowa and N Illinois) and the Deep South, I've come to a conclusion....

Snow is best enjoyed on Currier & Ives Christmas cards.

Eric

duckheads
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
We have been getting hammered. 18" so far on top of 8-10 we already had. High winds, drifting everywhere. Had a heck of a time plowing the driveway. Lots of snow to try to push. My driveway is clear but nothing has been down our road since I got home at 6 last night. We canceled our upland hunt this weekend. Pretty much snowing sideways right now. Stuck in the house with all three kids, the wife and two dogs. I guess i should plow again. I think I will venture down the road and see how far I can get.

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
We have been getting hammered. 18" so far on top of 8-10 we already had. High winds, drifting everywhere. Had a heck of a time plowing the driveway.Lots of snow to try to push. My driveway is clear but nothing has been down our road since I got home at 6 last night. We canceled our upland hunt this weekend. Pretty much snowing sideways right now. Stuck in the house with all three kids, the wife and two dogs. I guess i should plow again. I think I will venture down the road and see how far I can get.

Yeah, I can see where it would hard to push.;-)

http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f104806%5fAEIXw0MAARK8TUiL3Abl8wXh N%2fo&pid=2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

M&K's Retrievers
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
What's the limit on groundhogs?:(

duckheads
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Picture did not show up there Rog. Yes you push snow in a truck with a plow. What don't you understand?

Ken Bora
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
What's the limit on groundhogs?:(

all you can eat, mmmmmmm crock pot groundhog.
gun club I used to belong to had a hand gun only derby each spring and a "Chuck roast" after! Those were the days.
Groundhog Day = him spoting my shadow and gettin' cooked for four hours in sauce :cool:

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Picture did not show up there Rog. Yes you push snow in a truck with a plow. What don't you understand?

The picture showed up on my post, I wonder why it did not show up that you could see it here. It was a picture of an old man pushing a walker with a home made wood snow plow attatched to the front of the walker thus pushing the snow.
http://us.mg4.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f104806%5fAEIXw0MAARK8TUiL3Abl8wXh N%2fo&pid=2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Goose
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Where's that worthless, dirtbag Algore with his fraudulent global warming claim. We've had our power shut off 4 times this morning because of the unusual cold weather. Ain't no global warming here.

We live in Cuba now.

Ken Bora
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Roger,
all your photos are red x's to me, of late. how are you hosting?

M&K's Retrievers
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Where's that worthless, dirtbag Algore with his fraudulent global warming claim. We've had our power shut off 4 times this morning because of the unusual cold weather. Ain't no global warming here.

We live in Cuba now.

Maybe he's at home watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d70iXVN5EVM&feature=player_embedded

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 12:44 PM

We live in Cuba now.

Climate Changers Argue Record Snow and Cold Caused by Global Warming (http://www.infowars.com/climate-changers-argue-record-snow-and-cold-caused-by-global-warming/)

JOHN M. BRODER
The New York Times
February 11, 2010
[efoods]WASHINGTON As millions of people along the East Coast hole up in their snowbound homes, the two sides in the climate-change debate are seizing on the mounting drifts to bolster their arguments.
Skeptics of global warming are using the record-setting snows to mock those who warn of dangerous human-driven climate change this looks more like global cooling, they taunt.
Most climate scientists respond that the ferocious storms are consistent with forecasts that a heating planet will produce more frequent and more intense weather events.

Which could explain why all the snow storms in the U.S. lately could be because of more moisture in atmosphere ---- Floods in Pakastan/Australia because of rains.;-)

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
[quote=Ken Bora;743240]Roger,
all your photos are red x's to me, of late. how are you hosting?

Is this any better?
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g396/3343426/1296668125.jpg?t=1296668698

road kill
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Are you serious??

You don't have enough time........:rolleyes:

RK

Roger Perry
02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Are you serious??

You don't have enough time........:rolleyes:

RK

I never claimed great knowledge of computers Mr. Know It All.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV5i2CZnIDs

mudd
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I dont ever remember that much snow coming down with that much winds. With the 60mph gusts it was sure interesting! Hey R.K. I just talked to Layne who was ploying his half mile long driveway..... He got sooooo stuck he has to climb out his window to get out of the truck!

road kill
02-02-2011, 01:53 PM
I dont ever remember that much snow coming down with that much winds. With the 60mph gusts it was sure interesting! Hey R.K. I just talked to Layne who was ploying his half mile long driveway..... He got sooooo stuck he has to climb out his window to get out of the truck!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

It's ruff bein' Layne sometimes!!!

He's got nuthin' else to do.:D

RK

dnf777
02-02-2011, 02:16 PM

I have the same problem. When the dirt road is ice-packed, you can't angle your plow, or you just push your front end off into the ditch. Not enough weight/traction to really push snow with a pickup.

Fortunately, there's other ways to deal with snow.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae306/dnf777/DSC_0174.jpg

starjack
02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Green bay and north did not get hit near as bad as you on the snow. But sure had the wind. We had our good blast in Dec. 20 Inch and gust up to 50mph. TO MAKE THINGS WORST STARTER WENT OUT OF MY PLOW TRUCK

Franco
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Because of possible icey conditions tomorrow, all public schools will be closed in S Louisiana!:D

road kill
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
16 to 24" of snow yesterday into this morning.

By noon all of the freeways and most of the major streets were clean and open.

Hat's off to the various municipalities for the coordinated efforts to manage and move the snow and the great job law enforcement did to rescue those stranded.

Good job to you all, very impressive!!!!!

AS much as I hate winter here, Wisconsin is a special place.

stan b

huntinman
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
No union hacks telling them to sit around and send a message to the local gov't I take it??

road kill
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
No union hacks telling them to sit around and send a message to the local gov't I take it??

Oh, that happens a lot.
But when it comes to snow we got a chip on our shoulder about it.

WE scoff when Philadelphia cancels a football game because of 8" of snow and 25 degrees......we call 8" of snow and 25 degrees SPRING/April!!!!:shock:

RK

dnf777
02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Oh, that happens a lot.
But when it comes to snow we got a chip on our shoulder about it.

WE scoff when Philadelphia cancels a football game because of 8" of snow and 25 degrees......we call 8" of snow and 25 degrees SPRING/April!!!!:shock:

RK

That was an embarrassment. And the only time I've agreed with Rendell!

Our crews here did a great job also. All our steep hills had more salt on them than McDonald's french fries.

duckheads
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
The plow finally came down with the drift buster on it. Made one pass down the middle. They have already called school for tomorrow. We are still getting lake affect snow. Been coming down all day. Went yote hunting late this afternoon. Way to much work. Snow was over my knees. Thought I was going to have a heart attack getting to the back of my field. I need snow shoes. Didn't see anything. I would think they are getting pretty hungry and will be even more hungry tomorrow! Maybe I'll try some homeade snow shoes out of some sticks. Gotta figure something out.

M&K's Retrievers
02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
The plow finally came down with the drift buster on it. Made one pass down the middle. They have already called school for tomorrow. We are still getting lake affect snow. Been coming down all day. Went yote hunting late this afternoon. Way to much work. Snow was over my knees. Thought I was going to have a heart attack getting to the back of my field. I need snow shoes. Didn't see anything. I would think they are getting pretty hungry and will be even more hungry tomorrow! Maybe I'll try some homeade snow shoes out of some sticks. Gotta figure something out.

I find that lying down until the urge goes away usually helps.:p

Duckman_61
02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey here in Iowa we got missed with the big snow but the wind made 5 foot drifts. Hope that ground hog came out today! HA!

dnf777
02-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey here in Iowa we got missed with the big snow but the wind made 5 foot drifts. Hope that ground hog came out today! HA!

Good news. he did NOT see his shadow!!

Early spring!

starjack
02-03-2011, 05:35 PM

I use to call yotes all the time. Just could not get used to snow shoes. So got a cheap xc skies and that worked good.

Roger Perry
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I just heard on the news that is colder in Texas than it is in Anchorage Alaska.:shock:

Ken Bora
02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Is this any better?

yes I can see you now..
what did you change?

M&K's Retrievers
02-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I just heard on the news that is colder in Texas than it is in Anchorage Alaska.:shock:

Sure feels like it but it a dry cold. :rolleyes:

huntinman
02-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Diggin' out;

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/Photo-0087.jpg

RK & Elvis

Is this what they mean by "Shovel Ready Job"??