PDA

View Full Version : I told you McCain might as well be a democrat

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 02:31 PM
He just doesn't have a spine. He ran Obama's first election campaign, now he's getting geared up to work for his re-election.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/142005-mccain-says-centrist-obama-easier-to-work-with

I'm also telling you that Romney isn't any better.

Besides he belongs to a cult regards,

huntinman
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
McCain will not be running for election again, so now he does not have to pretend to be conservative anymore. He was a phony from the start and look where that got us.

Roger Perry
02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
McCain will not be running for election again, so now he does not have to pretend to be conservative anymore. He was a phony from the start and look where that got us.

But I bet you still voted for him didn't you.;-)

huntinman
02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
But I bet you still voted for him didn't you.;-)

You damn right, anything with a pulse would be better than what you zombies put in there...

Jason Glavich
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
He just doesn't have a spine. He ran Obama's first election campaign, now he's getting geared up to work for his re-election.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/142005-mccain-says-centrist-obama-easier-to-work-with

I'm also telling you that Romney isn't any better.

Besides he belongs to a cult regards,

And what cult is that exactly?

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
As I stated before, I abstained from voting for President. I voted for everything else and left that one blank.

I figured if McCain was the best we could do for a republican we deserved Obama. I would rather the Dems get the credit for their own ideas than have a republican in there putting them through and we get blamed for it.

I supported Bush's foreign policy for the most part, but he screwed the pooch on the prescription drug entitlement and on TARP. He was too liberal on domestic issues.

We have GOT to get a conservative candidate for president. Romney won't do.

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
And what cult is that exactly?

Mormonism......

BonMallari
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Mormonism......

I have a LOT of Mormon friends in Utah and Idaho, but to call them a cult is a little far fetched...and somewhat disrespectful. I was raised Seventh Day Adventist and although I no longer attend church on a regular basis still consider myself a Christian...you may disagree with Mormon's and their teaching ..as do I on most fronts...but to call them a cult is just not right:(

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
I have a LOT of Mormon friends in Utah and Idaho, but to call them a cult is a little far fetched...and somewhat disrespectful. I was raised Seventh Day Adventist and although I no longer attend church on a regular basis still consider myself a Christian...you may disagree with Mormon's and their teaching ..as do I on most fronts...but to call them a cult is just not right:(

I'm not calling your friends anything. Do you know what the Mormon church teaches? I do. Do you know the definition of a cult?

1.A cult does not contain the elements of salvation which are taught in the bible. In other words a cult can not get you saved if you believe what they teach.

2. A cult usually claims to have special knowledge. Try to go into the mormon temple see how far you get. They claim to have private and special knowledge in direct contradiction of scripture.....

2 Peter 1:19-21
And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
NKJV bold and italics mine.

They hold that the book of Mormon, written about 200 years ago, is of equal stature with the Bible. They have added to the book of the word of God. God took the importance of the true word so seriously that he placed a warning at the end of scripture.

This is the third to last verse in the Bible:
Rev 22:18-19
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
NKJV

Do you know what the mormon church teaches about the deity of Christ? They teach that Christ is a created being and that he is Satan's brother. This is NOT what the Bible teaches. They also teach that God has a physical body and that he had sex with Mary to produce Jesus.

This is what Christians believe about Jesus:John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
NKJV

Jesus was in the beginning and he was God. He was never created, he has existence as an attribute because He is God. Not A god. But the ONLY God.

The mormon church teachese that you can, by living a Religious life, get your own universe that you become God there and that you can populate it with your own spirit children.

That is what the serpent promised Eve. Gen 3:5
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods
KJV

The people who belong to the church are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. My best friend is a Mormon. We have had long discussions about their faulty teaching. He thinks it is more important how you live than what you believe. I disagree.

I think that there are a lot of very fine people under the influence of false teaching about God and His Son Jesus Christ.

BonMallari
02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm not calling your friends anything. Do you know what the Mormon church teaches? I do. Do you know the definition of a cult?

1.A cult does not contain the elements of salvation which are taught in the bible. In other words a cult can not get you saved if you believe what they teach.

2. A cult usually claims to have special knowledge. Try to go into the mormon temple see how far you get. They claim to have private and special knowledge in direct contradiction of scripture.....

And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

They hold that the book of Mormon, written about 200 years ago, is of equal stature with the Bible. They have added to the book of the word of God. God took the importance of the true word so seriously that he placed a warning at the end of scripture.

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
NKJV

Do you know what the mormon church teaches about the deity of Christ? They teach that Christ is a created being and that he is Satan's brother. This is NOT what the Bible teaches. They also teach that God has a physical body and that he had sex with Mary to produce Jesus.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
NKJV

Jesus was in the beginning and he was God. He was never created, he has existence as an attribute because He is God. Not A god. But the ONLY God.

The mormon church teachese that you can, by living a Religious life, get your own universe that you become God there and that you can populate it with your own spirit children.

For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods
KJV

The people who belong to the church are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. My best friend is a Mormon. We have had long discussions about their faulty teaching. He thinks it is more important how you live than what you believe. I disagree.

I think that there are a lot of very fine people under the influence of false teaching about God and His Son Jesus Christ.

and yes I do know what the Mormon faith teaches...I too have had many discussions with my friends ( makes for spirited conversation in a duck blind, or a cross country trip ) all it does is to enforce that it is not a religion that I would choose personally...BUT it has also taught me to be much more tolerant of my friends and their practices such as not hunting on their property on Sunday's, not bringing alcohol to their homes, and asking if I can bring coffee when staying at their homes and making fun of BYU football ..Like I stated I dont agree with their teachings either but I dont label them as religious cults

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
and yes I do know what the Mormon faith teaches...I too have had many discussions with my friends ( makes for spirited conversation in a duck blind, or a cross country trip ) all it does is to enforce that it is not a religion that I would choose personally...BUT it has also taught me to be much more tolerant of my friends and their practices such as not hunting on their property on Sunday's, not bringing alcohol to their homes, and asking if I can bring coffee when staying at their homes and making fun of BYU football ..Like I stated I dont agree with their teachings either but I dont label them as religious cults

I am labeling Mormonism as a cult. I don't have any specific people in mind.

The reason I say that is because it meets the definition of a cult. It does.

I'm sure there were some really great well intentioned people at Jamestown.

The number of adherents does not legitimize the practice.

Cody Covey
02-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Would you also consider Christian's a cult?

Buzz
02-04-2011, 04:28 PM
This one went of the rails pretty quick.

Granddaddy
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Look guys there is nothing insulting about calling Mormonism a cult (& by the way, 7th Day Adventism is not a cult just a couple of unusual interpretations of Scripture). Back to the point, a Christian cult is any group or belief that requires something other than receiving Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior for salvation - the only requirement of Scripture. Mormons, like several other Christian cults, require some other achievement, qualification or belief to receive salvation which is outside of the historically accepted canon of Scripture. It's a simple test, not an insulting remark.

Mormonism requires extra-biblical beliefs. I don't think any Mormom would disagree except to say they accept the Book of Mormon as part of Scripture and their unorthodox inclusion is not unorthodox to them.

A dictionary defintion: a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unorthodox), or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

This doesn't mean I disrespect Mormons, nor do I label them. It's simply a definition that fits their beliefs.

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Would you also consider Christian's a cult?

If you want to make the case go ahead. I will wait. I presented a lucid and scripturally supported argument. Accept it or don't, refute it if you can.

To answer your question....NO!

Cody Covey
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
# followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices
# fad: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
# followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader

That is the actual definition of a cult not one you made up and pretty much all sound like Christianity with Jesus being the charismatic leader...

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I was being tongue in cheek about the cult in the first post and got it off track.

The reason for this thread was ...That McCain.....Oooooh!
He's a closet lefty.
Romney started his own version of Obamacare when he was governor.
He's a lefty.

Granddaddy
02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
# fad: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
# followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader

That is the actual definition of a cult not one you made up and pretty much all sound like Christianity with Jesus being the charismatic leader...

Actually no, the dictionary definition I used is from dictionary.com. You can look it up. Further when a definition has multiple parts, it is not a requirement to meet each category to fit the definition, just one of the categories. It just so happens that the dictionary definition I used fits, as confimation. And in the case of a what is orthodox and and what is unorthodox, you would have to examine the orthodox beliefs of Christianity then compare them to what Mormons believe to arrive at a decision if the Mormon beliefs are unorthodox. The historic biblical canon embodies the orthodox beliefs. Mormons add the book of Mormon and possibly other practices that are unique to Mormons. Further the charismatic leader of the Mormons is Joseph Smith, who claims to have received divinely the content of the Book of Mormon.

Cody Covey
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Actually no, the dictionary definition I used is from dictionary.com. You can look it up. Further when a definition has multiple parts, it is not a requirement to meet each category to fit the definition, just one of the categories. It just so happens that the dictionary definition I used fits, as confimation. And in the case of a what is orthodox and and what is unorthodox, you would have to examine the orthodox beliefs of Christianity then compare them to what Mormons believe to arrive at a decision if the Mormon beliefs are unorthodox. The historic biblical canon embodies the orthodox beliefs. Mormons add the book of Mormon and possibly other practices that are unique to Mormons. Further the charismatic leader of the Mormons is Joseph Smith, who claims to have received divinely the content of the Book of Mormon.Why are you arguing with me? Did you read my post. I made no mention of whether or not Mormons were a cult. I asked and proved using the EXACT same definition and reasoning you did that Christianity is also a cult.

Again why are you arguing with me?!

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 06:31 PM

That is not the actual definition of a cult. I don't know where you got it but it is wrong. A cult doesn't have anything to do with a fad.?? Zeal does not equal cult. Christians can be a s zealous as anyone without belonging to a cult.

http://www.gotquestions.org/cult-definition.html

When we hear the word “cult,” we often think of a group that worships Satan, sacrifices animals, or takes part in evil, bizarre, and pagan rituals. However, in reality, most cults appear much more innocent. The specific Christian definition of a cult is “a religious group that denies one or more of the fundamentals of biblical truth.” In simpler terms, a cult is a group that teaches something that will cause a person to remain unsaved if he/she believes it. As distinct from a religion, a cult is a group that claims to be part of the religion, yet denies essential truth(s) of that religion. A Christian cult is a group that denies one or more of the fundamental truths of Christianity, while still claiming to be Christian.

The two most common teachings of cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. A denial of the deity of Christ results in Jesus’ death not being a sufficient payment for our sins. A denial of salvation by faith alone results in salvation being achieved by our own works, something the Bible vehemently and consistently denies. The two most well-known examples of cults are the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. Both groups claim to be Christian, yet both deny the deity of Christ and salvation by faith alone. Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons believe many things that are in agreement with or similar to what the Bible teaches. However, the fact that they deny the deity of Christ and preach a salvation by works qualifies them as a cult. Many Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and members of other cults are “good people” who genuinely believe they hold the truth. As Christians, our hope and prayer must be that many people involved in the cults will see through the lies and will be drawn to the truth of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ alone.

Leddyman
02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Why are you arguing with me? Did you read my post. I made no mention of whether or not Mormons were a cult. I asked and proved using the EXACT same definition and reasoning you did that Christianity is also a cult.

Again why are you arguing with me?!

Dude...He's not arguing with you, he is trying to have a debate. Mainly because you are mistaken.

Cody Covey
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
That is not the actual definition of a cult. I don't know where you got it but it is wrong. A cult doesn't have anything to do with a fad.?? Zeal does not equal cult. Christians can be a s zealous as anyone without belonging to a cult.

http://www.gotquestions.org/cult-definition.html

When we hear the word “cult,” we often think of a group that worships Satan, sacrifices animals, or takes part in evil, bizarre, and pagan rituals. However, in reality, most cults appear much more innocent. The specific Christian definition of a cult is “a religious group that denies one or more of the fundamentals of biblical truth.” In simpler terms, a cult is a group that teaches something that will cause a person to remain unsaved if he/she believes it. As distinct from a religion, a cult is a group that claims to be part of the religion, yet denies essential truth(s) of that religion. A Christian cult is a group that denies one or more of the fundamental truths of Christianity, while still claiming to be Christian.

The two most common teachings of cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. A denial of the deity of Christ results in Jesus’ death not being a sufficient payment for our sins. A denial of salvation by faith alone results in salvation being achieved by our own works, something the Bible vehemently and consistently denies. The two most well-known examples of cults are the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. Both groups claim to be Christian, yet both deny the deity of Christ and salvation by faith alone. Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons believe many things that are in agreement with or similar to what the Bible teaches. However, the fact that they deny the deity of Christ and preach a salvation by works qualifies them as a cult. Many Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and members of other cults are “good people” who genuinely believe they hold the truth. As Christians, our hope and prayer must be that many people involved in the cults will see through the lies and will be drawn to the truth of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ alone.The definition and reasoning from a Christian website...very unbiased..

Cody Covey
02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Dude...He's not arguing with you, he is trying to have a debate. Mainly because you are mistaken.

Look at his post he's telling me I am wrong while agreeing with me lol

ducknwork
02-04-2011, 07:43 PM
This one went of the rails pretty quick.

Of course it did. Leddyman has used that line a couple of times recently trolling for the reaction he got here. I wish Jason and Bon didn't bite...It was soooo easy to see coming.

Leddyman
02-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Of course it did. Leddyman has used that line a couple of times recently trolling for the reaction he got here. I wish Jason and Bon didn't bite...It was soooo easy to see coming.

I used it twice.

Cause I felt like it. :D

Granddaddy
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
The definition and reasoning from a Christian website...very unbiased..

Just a question, if you wanted to know if a certain football team is the best, would you say a respected and accomplished coach in the game was the type person who could provide an educated answer or would you say his answer was biased & dismiss it because he is in the game? That instead, to get an unbiased answer you should ask someone who is not influenced by knowledge of the game?

Of course, you would ask & rely upon someone within Christianity to best know the orthodox beliefs of Christianity. It's just common sense.

Cody Covey
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Just a question, if you wanted to know if a certain football team is the best, would you say a respected and accomplished coach in the game was the type person who could provide an educated answer or would you say his answer was biased & dismiss it because he is in the game? That instead, to get an unbiased answer you should ask someone who is not influenced by knowledge of the game?

Of course, you would ask & rely upon someone within Christianity to best know the orthodox beliefs of Christianity. It's just common sense.

Right but fortunately the basis of a cult does not hang on Christianity. Like the definitions both you and I provided it didn't mention Christianity anywhere. If I wanted to know who the best football team was I WOULDN'T ask the coach of the team I'm playing against this week...

Granddaddy
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Right but fortunately the basis of a cult does not hang on Christianity. Like the definitions both you and I provided it didn't mention Christianity anywhere. If I wanted to know who the best football team was I WOULDN'T ask the coach of the team I'm playing against this week...

Actually it does. It's a comparison of orthodox Christianity versus a Christian organization that isn't orthodox. But that's not my opinion or my judgement. It's the view of Christian orthodoxy as noted by the "Christian website" Leddyman quoted and any other place you'd look for an orthodox Christian view, where consistently an orthodox Christian view is espoused. Not sure to whom you're "next week's coach" is supposed to equate. And my opinion is just a confirmation of the orthodox view, it didn't originate with me. While you seem to be attempting to make this personal, I haven't and it's not, just the facts of the orthodox view that will be consistent regardless of where you look within orthodox Christianity.

Cody Covey
02-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Actually it does. It's a comparison of orthodox Christianity versus a Christian organization that isn't orthodox. But that's not my opinion or my judgement. It's the view of Christian orthodoxy as noted by the "Christian website" Leddyman quoted and any other place you'd look for an orthodox Christian view, where consistently an orthodox Christian view is espoused. Not sure to whom you're "next week's coach" is supposed to equate. And my opinion is just a confirmation of the orthodox view, it didn't originate with me. While you seem to be attempting to make this personal, I haven't and it's not, just the facts of the orthodox view that will be consistent regardless of where you look within orthodox Christianity.

No not making it personal at all. My original point which Leddy failed to address other than to say no was that Christianity is a cult as well. You'll notice I have never said Mormonism ISN'T a cult. I have just said Christianity is. It fit's perfectly with pretty much EVERY dictionary definition of a cult and yet you and Leddy keep debating something I am not and will not...

Granddaddy
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
No not making it personal at all. My original point which Leddy failed to address other than to say no was that Christianity is a cult as well. You'll notice I have never said Mormonism ISN'T a cult. I have just said Christianity is. It fit's perfectly with pretty much EVERY dictionary definition of a cult and yet you and Leddy keep debating something I am not and will not...

Everyone has an opinion but opinion is not synonymus with reality.

Cody Covey
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Everyone has an opinion but opinion is not synonymus with reality.

I'm confused do you think Christianity doesn't match the definition YOU posted?

zeus3925
02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
What I would look for in a candidate for POTUS is the quality of the person's character, not what church he goes attends. Romney has an impressive track record and he is a person I could support.

I have met and worked with a few Mormans in my travels. I have found them to be as a group hardworking and reliable.

I am not a Morman. I have had an opportunity to read the Book of Morman but Mormanism isn't my cup of tea. But I would not write off a capable individual for POTUS because of his membership in the LDS church.

Granddaddy
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm confused do you think Christianity doesn't match the definition YOU posted?

You are right, you are confused. Orthodox Christianity (according to its claims) follows God as He has revealed Himself through Scripture, whose claim is that it is inspired, God-breathed. And I could explain further about how Christianity is not a religion (in the sense of Islam, Hinduism, etc) because of it's unique claims which distinguish it from other religions. As an agnostic or atheist, someone of that persuation might consider Christianity, like any religion, a cult - just like a Christian might consider a group of agnostics or atheists that band together for some purpose, a cult. But not in the sense that Leddyman used the word. And not even in the defintion you presented.

Orthodox Christianity is not an exclusive religion - it is believed and embraced by a number of different sects and denominations, orthodox Christianity is not a fad in that it has had adherants for over 2000 yrs, orthodox Christianity is not unorthodox, nor a false religion. I think that covers your definitions.

So actually your proposition fails on all parts & from all prospectives, save your opinion. But opinions, in order to have credibillity, must be compared with reality.

Granddaddy
02-09-2011, 08:23 AM
What I would look form in a candidate for POTUS is the quality of the person's character, not what church he goes attends. Romney has an impressive track record and he is a person I could support.

I have met and worked with a few Mormans in my travels. I have found them to be as a group hardworking and reliable.

I am not a Morman. I have had an opportunity to read the Book of Morman but Mormanism isn't my cup of tea. But I would not write off a capable individual for POTUS because of his membership in the LDS church.

In the last election process, I would agree that Romney was a good choice, especially considering that McCain seemed to have more in common with Democrats than Republicans whose positions are normally characterised by a call for less government (less spending), lower taxes & a strong defense. Romney's push for gov health care in MA would be sticking point for me, however. Not unlike the nat'l Obamacare, MA seems today to have no way to pay for the benefits of the bill, now law. I think from the a group that includes Newt Gingrich, Bobby Jindal, Mike Huckabee, Tom Pawlenty, John Thune & Sarah Palin - that a viable Republican candidate can be found that embraces the core Republican values/positions. And I'd vote for Dana Perino for whatever position she might want. ;-)

huntinman
02-09-2011, 08:32 AM
And I'd vote for Dana Perino for whatever position she might want. ;-)

I'm not going there... I'm not going there... I'm not going there.:cool:

Hew
02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
As an agnostic or atheist, someone of that persuation might consider Christianity, like any religion, a cult - just like a Christian might consider a group of agnostics or atheists that band together for some purpose, a cult. Exactly...a "cult" is in the eye of the beholder and one man's cult is another's closely-held spiritial belief system. Isn't that the point Cody was trying to make initially? But not in the sense that Leddyman used the word. Not sure, but in the sense Leddyman used the word and per his definition of a cult, Catholicism would fit the bill, too. Are either of you prepared to make that claim? And not even in the defintion you presented.

You're free to call Mormonism a "cult," but I don't think you're free to act all surprised when anyone takes offense. If you call someone a nigger, spic, chink, kike, homo, cracker, etc. it doesn't make those words any less of a slur just because you provide an archaic or esoteric definition of the word, does it?

Granddaddy
02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
You're free to call Mormonism a "cult," but I don't think you're free to act all surprised when anyone takes offense. If you call someone a nigger, spic, chink, kike, homo, cracker, etc. it doesn't make those words any less of a slur just because you provide an archaic or esoteric definition of the word, does it?

Actually, I never called Mormonism a cult. I indicated that orthodox Chrisitianity refers to organizations that add some requirements a cult. What I indicated is factual & a common orthodox Christianity undertanding of such organizations. By most orthodox Christianity stds, Catholicism is not considered a cult - not to say some Christian organizations might have a different view. Neither of which might necessarily be my view. That's the difference between opinions & truth/facts.

And BTW, if you are going to quote me, don't add commentary in the middle of the quote such that the quote can't be distinguished from the commentary - just a common courtesy when quoting someone so as not to confuse the quote.

Hew
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
My comments are in bold....Granddaddy's are not in bold:

Actually, I never called Mormonism a cult. Right. You said there was nothing wrong with calling Mormonism a cult. And you said that Mormonism fits the definition of a cult. But you never called them a cult. I stand corrected. You never called them a cult. :rolleyes: I indicated that orthodox Chrisitianity refers to organizations that add some requirements a cult. What I indicated is factual & a common orthodox Christianity undertanding of such organizations. By most orthodox Christianity stds, Catholicism is not considered a cult - not to say some Christian organizations might have a different view. Neither of which might necessarily be my view. That's the difference between opinions & truth/facts.

And BTW, if you are going to quote me, don't add commentary in the middle of the quote such that the quote can't be distinguished from the commentary - just a common courtesy when quoting someone so as not to confuse the quote. Exactly. It all starts when people don't follow literary rules on interweb message boards and then the next thing you know there's anarchy in the streets. But if you seriously thought that anyone confused your words with mine then I apologize to you for not clarifying whose words were what (as I did at the beginning of this post). That's the way myself and others here sometime respond to posts. I'll continue to do so; thanks.

Edit...I just noticed that you changed one of my quotes by bolding a sentence that I did not previously bold. Where's the common courtesy?

cotts135
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM

NKJV

NKJV

KJV

Here we go again. My God is better than your God na, na nana :rolleyes:

Granddaddy
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
My comments are in bold....Granddaddy's are not in bold:

I indicated Mormonism fit the definition that orthodox Christianity recognized as a cult. I also said I neither disrepect them or label them. I went on to say, it was a test not an insulting remark, a simple definition that fit their believes. From that point I only contrasted orthodox Christianity from the unorthodox from the prospective of orthodox Christianity indicating such didn't orignate with me. But it's much easier for you to make an accusation to make your point. Futher never offerred my opinion, just stated & restated an orthodox Christianity view. And while you have made accusations - putting words in my mouth, you have neither offerred any facts to the contrary or provided your opinion. And BTW, bolding words within a quote is common practice to highlight the subject of remarks in reply. But adding words within a quote is dishonest & misleading, and maybe your intent.

Hew
02-10-2011, 05:16 AM
My comments are in BOLD; Granddaddy's are not:

I indicated Mormonism fit the definition that orthodox Christianity recognized as a cult. I also said I neither disrepect them or label them. I went on to say, it was a test not an insulting remark, a simple definition that fit their believes. From that point I only contrasted orthodox Christianity from the unorthodox from the prospective of orthodox Christianity indicating such didn't orignate with me.But it's much easier for you to make an accusation to make your point. Futher never offerred my opinion, just stated & restated an orthodox Christianity view. And while you have made accusations - putting words in my mouth, you have neither offerred any facts to the contrary or provided your opinion. Yes, yes, we know....as you have often pointed out in the 2 weeks you've been posting here, you're the only one who sticks to the thesis, makes a point, offers an informed opinion, etc... And BTW, bolding words within a quote is common practice to highlight the subject of remarks in reply. But adding words within a quote is dishonest & misleading, and maybe your intent. Yes that was my intent....to mislead and befuddle those with an IQ of 65 or less who might be reading this board and confuse your quotes with my bolded responses. When you buy the internet (or this website) let me know and I'll abide by your quotation rules.

And I'm curious...in your first post on this thread you included a partial definition of the word "cult." I say partial because you only quoted the part of the definition that supported your argument, and not the other parts of the same definition that supported Cody's premise that Christianity could be considered a cult. Also, you didn't link or properly attribute the quote. Cherry-picking a quote (or the definition of a word) and not linking/attributing said quote is dishonest and misleading, and maybe your intent? But I do like the way you spell. And your punctuation is AWESOME. ;-)

ducknwork
02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
But adding words within a quote is dishonest & misleading, and maybe your intent.

I didn't have any problem distinguishing between the two sides of the conversation. I don't believe anyone else here did either...If we believed that the bolded portions were your words in addition to the non bolded portions, it would look like you were arguing with yourself, which would just be weird. And kinda creepy. Most (as in not all;)) of us here have a fair amount of common sense and realize that added responses within a quote is a good way to directly respond to certain phrases, sentences, etc with much more clarity and organization than adding it all at the end.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled pissing match now...

Granddaddy
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
My comments are in BOLD; Granddaddy's are not:

Your bent seems to be "cherry picking" or pot shoting someone else's comment while you seem reluctant to post any positions you might have or maybe you just don't possess the ability to think critically about a subject. And when you can't contribute something substantive to the debate, just criticize the messenger.

Can't claim to own or have originated the internet, that's your buddy (I'm guessing) Gore, who makes that claim. But I understand common courtesy. You method is either purposeful or lazy but not the common practice, not based upon my judgment but accepted practice.

As for the definition you point out, I already answered that in post #18. Maybe a little more understanding on how defintions are used would benefit you in the future. That post should enlighten you a little.

And since we have derailed this thread, with your apparent help & enjoyment, why not post up your views for our consideration rather than just pot-shot others. Give us a little enlightenment on the subject from your prospective. ;-)