PDA

View Full Version : Happy 100th B-day Ronald Reagan

BonMallari
02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Happy 100th Birthday Ronald Reagan, thank you for leaving us a legacy that many strive to imitate but few will ever scratch the true essence of what you meant to our country..Thank you Mr President

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/darthdilbert/Blog/President_Reagan_1981.jpg

huntinman
02-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Amen

dnf777
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I was an ardent Reagan supporter at the time, right up until Iran-Contra. At that time I also began to pay attention to our budget and deficit. (and debt) I watched our national debt TRIPLE during his eight years. We have not yet begun to pay that off.

I see an article on his presidential library. Do we REALLY need a Boeing 707 and his presidential helicopter under the roof, in order to understand his legacy? If extravagance at any cost is to be his legacy, then I understand. Otherwise, it seems a little over the top.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae306/dnf777/t1largreagan-lib-air-force-onet1larg.jpg

huntinman
02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
You think Obama wants to fly around in those aircraft?

Ken Bora
02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
..... I watched our national debt TRIPLE during his eight years. We have not yet begun to pay that off.....

So.......
those folk who claim Clinton left us on the +side $$$ wise.....
are wrong?????? ;-) ;-)

dnf777
02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
So.......
those folk who claim Clinton left us on the +side $$$ wise.....
are wrong?????? ;-) ;-)

Clinton was budget neutral, and even turned in a surplus his last years. Had his economic policies been kept in place, we would have begun to pay down the debt. As it was, we experienced the largest economic turn around in our nation's history, and by the time W left office, he handed Obama an $11 trillion debt.

I'm not saying there weren't other factors, there most definately were, but those are the numbers of the times.

Ken Bora
02-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Clinton was budget neutral, and even turned in a surplus his last years. Had his economic policies been kept in place, we would have begun to pay down the debt.

So..... he paid down no debt at all???????????
Have to remind folks of that next time it comes up ;-)
That is like the 20something housemates saying
"We have cash for pizza and beer 'cause we didnt pay
the gas and water bill!"

Julie R.
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
So..... he paid down no debt at all???????????
Have to remind folks of that next time it comes up ;-)
That is like the 20something housemates saying
"We have cash for pizza and beer 'cause we didnt pay
the gas and water bill!"

HAHAHA Great analogy...genius!

Julie R.
02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Had his economic policies been kept in place, we would have begun to pay down the debt. As it was, we experienced the largest economic turn around in our nation's history, and by the time W left office, he handed Obama an $11 trillion debt.

I'm not saying there weren't other factors, there most definately were, but those are the numbers of the times.

Are you including in those numbers the great American dream wherein Clinton beefed up the Community Reinvestment Act, relaxing loan criteria and establishing quotas for the poor and disadvantaged so they could buy $400,000 homes?

dnf777
02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Are you including in those numbers the great American dream wherein Clinton beefed up the Community Reinvestment Act, relaxing loan criteria and establishing quotas for the poor and disadvantaged so they could buy $400,000 homes?

Hey, young republicans need a 6 bedroom house and jacuzzi too. That's who you're referring to, right?

Roger Perry
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Hey, young republicans need a 6 bedroom house and jacuzzi too. That's who you're referring to, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie R. http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=746437#post746437)

You mean this?

American Dream Down Payment Fund
This program would provide money to qualified low-income families to assist in making the down payment on a home. "The single greatest hurdle to first time homeownership is a high down payment requirement that can put a home out of reach," White House analysts estimate that the American Dream Fund will assist some 40,000 low-income families annually in making down payments on homes.
Tax Credits to Create Affordable Housing
This proposed initiative would provide home-builders and developers with nearly $2.4 billion in tax credits for building affordable single-family housing in distressed areas. The tax credits would help make 200,000 new affordable homes available to low-income buyers over the next five years.

Hew
I was an ardent Reagan supporter at the time, right up until Iran-Contra.
LMAO. Ardent, eh? How ardent could you have been when you never cast a vote for the man because you were, what, 15 years old at the time? Using your logic you were also an ardent supporter of the Bay City Rollers, Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy and now you're a downright fanatical supporter of Obama.

TxHillHunter
Clinton was budget neutral, and even turned in a surplus his last years. Had his economic policies been kept in place, we would have begun to pay down the debt. As it was, we experienced the largest economic turn around in our nation's history, and by the time W left office, he handed Obama an $11 trillion debt.

Don't have the specific #'s, but it's important to note that an administration can be "budget neutral" (no argument on Clinton) DURING their term(s), but leave legacies that are not. One of Clinton's big social "wins" was the Vaccines for Children program - a federal entitlement that was signed into law in his second term that pays for vaccine to be given to those under the age of 19, who are on Medicaid, uninsured or under-insured.....which today covers more than 60% of that population in the US. The costs? Well, they have grown more than 5 fold since the first year of enactment....now racking up ~$3.5 Billion per year.

It's also a good example of one that it pretty much untouchable, once enacted....who wants to be portrayed as "putting little lives at risk"?

dnf777
02-07-2011, 03:20 PM
LMAO. Ardent, eh? How ardent could you have been when you never cast a vote for the man because you were, what, 15 years old at the time? Using your logic you were also an ardent supporter of the Bay City Rollers, Leif Garrett, Shaun Cassidy and now you're a downright fanatical supporter of Obama.

Hew,
there you go a again. I HATED Shaun Cassidy for what he did to my beloved Hardy Boys! He and Parker Stephenson are forever on my black list.

And yes, I was a little too young to vote for Reagan, but that doesn't stop me from supporting him. I was too young to buy guns, but I was a gun-rights supporter. There are other ways of supporting a candidate, besides voting. But hey, I was young and foolish. Thankfully I saw the light.

Not sure why you portray me as a fanatical supporter of Obama? I've pointed out many times my disappointment in him for his spending. Oh well, knock yourself out.

dnf777
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Don't have the specific #'s, but it's important to note that an administration can be "budget neutral" (no argument on Clinton) DURING their term(s), but leave legacies that are not. One of Clinton's big social "wins" was the Vaccines for Children program - a federal entitlement that was signed into law in his second term that pays for vaccine to be given to those under the age of 19, who are on Medicaid, uninsured or under-insured.....which today covers more than 60% of that population in the US. The costs? Well, they have grown more than 5 fold since the first year of enactment....now racking up ~$3.5 Billion per year.

It's also a good example of one that it pretty much untouchable, once enacted....who wants to be portrayed as "putting little lives at risk"?

$3.5 billion per year seems a little high for my sniff test, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it, for the sake of argument.

What would the cost to tax payers be to treat the diseases these vaccines prevent?? If I'm willing to concede 3.5 billion for vaccines, then you should be able to concede around $50 billion for often fatal, communicable diseases? So what is the net-budgetary effect upon taxpayers of the vaccine program? My HP is out of reach, so I'll leave the math to you.

road kill
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Hew,
there you go a again. I HATED Shaun Cassidy for what he did to my beloved Hardy Boys! He and Parker Stephenson are forever on my black list.

And yes, I was a little too young to vote for Reagan, but that doesn't stop me from supporting him. I was too young to buy guns, but I was a gun-rights supporter. There are other ways of supporting a candidate, besides voting. But hey, I was young and foolish. Thankfully I saw the light.

Not sure why you portray me as a fanatical supporter of Obama? I've pointed out many times my disappointment in him for his spending. Oh well, knock yourself out.

Very funny......

You supported Reagan, but you did NOT vote for him.

You do NOT support Obama, but you DID vote for him.........:rolleyes:

RK

TxHillHunter
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
$3.5 billion per year seems a little high for my sniff test, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it, for the sake of argument.

What would the cost to tax payers be to treat the diseases these vaccines prevent?? If I'm willing to concede 3.5 billion for vaccines, then you should be able to concede around $50 billion for often fatal, communicable diseases? So what is the net-budgetary effect upon taxpayers of the vaccine program? My HP is out of reach, so I'll leave the math to you.

For your sniffer: http://dhhs.gov/asfr/ob/docbudget/2010budgetinbriefg.html ;)

A fair point on the cost factor for treatment side of the equation. 2 points for you - not the best example.

That said, it's hard to say how much of that tab the Taxpayer would pick up or not. The cost benefit analyses done by the CDC don't typically break out public dollars spent/saved vs. private dollars spent/saved. But, in fairness, I am quite sure several of them pan out quite well for Joe Taxpayer, and doubt that others do...due to high vaccine cost and very low infection/hospitalization/mortality rates in the targeted population (adolescents in particular), and based on cost-benefit analyses that stated the costs and benefits were pretty equal, in terms of dollars. (Sidebar - not sure I'll ever understand how actuaries put a dollar amount on a life...)

Don't get me wrong....I think the programs designed to PREVENT rather than treat are much more cost effective, regardless of who bears the cost.

dnf777
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Very funny......

You supported Reagan, but you did NOT vote for him.

You do NOT support Obama, but you DID vote for him.........:rolleyes:

RK

I thought 15 year olds can only vote in Chicago anyway?

And no, I didn't vote for Obama. You're batting .500

Hillhunter: I share your inability to understand actuarials. I see them all the time, and it seems so cold to assign dollars per life-year saved. (or spent) I understand the need to allocate scarce resources (ie economics) but putting bean counters in charge of your health care may not be in your best interests, although it is supposedly in the population's best interest.

Julie R.
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:

You mean this?

American Dream Down Payment Fund
This program would provide money to qualified low-income families to assist in making the down payment on a home. "The single greatest hurdle to first time homeownership is a high down payment requirement that can put a home out of reach," White House analysts estimate that the American Dream Fund will assist some 40,000 low-income families annually in making down payments on homes.
Tax Credits to Create Affordable Housing
This proposed initiative would provide home-builders and developers with nearly $2.4 billion in tax credits for building affordable single-family housing in distressed areas. The tax credits would help make 200,000 new affordable homes available to low-income buyers over the next five years.

No Roger, I do not mean that, I meant what I posted, The Community Reinvestment Act, a little used act that came into being during the Carter Admin. but that Clinton beefed up to include quotas for minority and disadvantaged borrower loans. Look it up, since that's apparently all you do all day. Look up Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae too along with Obama crony Francis Raines. Makes for some interesting reading.