PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious....

M&K's Retrievers
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM
How many of us train our own dogs? How often? How many dogs? Do you hunt?

I'll start out. We have 3 Labs and mostly train them ourselves with the occasional help of a friend who is a trainer. We train 5-6 days week depending on the stage of training we are in and of course the weather. I guess we hunt 60 days a year.

I ask this question here rather than the main forum because I'm interested in POTUS people responses (IE the dark side).:cool:

BonMallari
02-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Five dogs,one (Star) who is severely disabled and relegated to living out her life on the couch..I hunted with both Mirk(retired) and Kate(QAA but not campaigned) this season,Nola hunted with Clint and may run a limited amount of trials since she turns a very spry 10 in two weeks..Brig will be the family standard bearer and run as many trials as Clint's schedule allows him to and also depending on his performance..

Clint trained them all, but a couple of them spent limited time campaigned on a pros truck ...I am the 2nd string , back up, clipboard carrier, soundboard and alter ego...my main job is to remind my brother to trust his instincts and remind him there are more important things at home besides what series he went out in at a particular trial. I am very lucky to have carte blanche to train/hunt the dogs while in Boise and would also run trials if I could afford it;)

Ken Bora
02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
How many of us train our own dogs? I do

How often? How many dogs? 3 Chesapeakes, every day I'm not hunting

Do you hunt? yup, till the water is hard.

Roger Perry
02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Bodacious19 MH was with James Brengotz for about 6 months and I did the rest of the training. Bo's Shadee Ladee Sadee MH QAA I did all the training with her but Alex Washburn wanted to run her in some Field Trials so Alex had her in Virginia for a few months. By Hook Or By Crook MH QAA and Shadee Ladee Katee MH were with Jay & Karen Sweezey through their Derby years and Tanks Alot Hawkeye's Super Mac QAA was with Lynn Troy for almost 3 years. Mac has a Qualifying win and 2 Open JAM'S the first one was when he was 2 1/2 years old. I just got him back last October where he got his 2nd Open JAM at the Jacksonville trial.

I do some dove hunting down here. I took Bo and Sadee duck hunting a few times but when I went out to a duck hunt in some rice fields I saw a truck pulling a boat on my way to where I was going to hunt. I stopped to talk to them for a few minutes and asked them why they were out there because they were towing a boat. They said they were snake hunting. I said "snake hunting, where do you find the snakes." They replied "on the road and in ditch banks." They said they don't take any poisonous snakes though. (they sold the non-poisonous ones to pet shops). Well, the way to where I was going to hunt was on the grass/dirt road next to the ditch bank. It was pitch dark out and I had a flash light with me. I took 2 steps shined the light to make sure no snakes were around, took 2 more steps and so on until I got out to my spot. I got my limit and that was the last time I went duck hunting down here..

I also went to a bunch of pheasant tower shoots some years ago. The dogs loved it. On a couple of tower shoots the dogs got to hunt the ones that the shooters missed.

BrianW
02-07-2011, 08:48 AM
We've done all our own training so far on the 2 Labbie boys so any successes/failures are solely ours.
Training this winter has been dependent on weather and injuries (dogs & humans) but generally 3-4 times a week even if it's just hallway work
It'll pick up as days get longer & the ice goes away.
Yes, I hunt. A main reason we moved up here.

ducknwork
02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
I have one lab, she is my first. I have trained her 100% by myself and I am very proud of what she has done thus far. I can't wait to see what the future holds for her. I don't run any tests or trials, we just kill birds. That's it, period. Kill birds. I know that some people on here look down on us lowly hunters, but they can get over it. Me and my dog don't need any pieces of fabric to show that she is a good dog. She retrieved approx. 75 birds this year (doves/ducks) and I couldn't be happier. Never broke once, never whined, ran lots of blinds. She was very successful for her first season. When she gets some more experience under her belt, she's going to be amazing.

TxHillHunter
02-07-2011, 09:32 AM
How many of us train our own dogs? How often? How many dogs? Do you hunt?

I'll start out. We have 3 Labs and mostly train them ourselves with the occasional help of a friend who is a trainer. We train 5-6 days week depending on the stage of training we are in and of course the weather. I guess we hunt 60 days a year.

I ask this question here rather than the main forum because I'm interested in POTUS people responses (IE the dark side).:cool:

Purchased my first lab 3 months ago, she has been started by a Pro (FF) and my son and I are taking her from there - so we're learning together with the assistance of a friend who trained his dog. We've trained with her every day we've had her, except for a few where the weather has been brutal. Hunted long before getting a Lab, ducks primarily - timber and rice fields in Ark. I hunted 28 days this season.

She's been a bit of a pain through FF....mainly avoidance. She has already been a great learning experience.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh202/kapsig1/GrantandMandy.jpg

Franco
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
3 Labs currently.

I trained two of them for hunting from 7 weeks to old age. No one else has ever placed a hand on them.

The other is a retired FT competitor trained by a Pro.

I hunt at least twice a week and more during holidays!

Julie R.
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Six Chesapeakes (4 generations) I bred and own/co-own. Four living here now, two are with the co-owner. I do most of my own training but prefer to let someone else do the ear pinching part of FF so most are sent to a pro for two or three mos. during their first year. I may be using pros more this year to run some of them, since I won't have as much time as in the past to train and a couple of the dogs are now better dogs, than I am a handler :oops: But will always have 2 or 3 at home and for the small amount of hunting we do plus I do love raising puppy litters.

Buzz
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I have 3 labs, 1 yellow male Ace, 1 black female Raven, and 1 black male Mick.

I have trained the yellow except for a couple of winter trips. He's my hunting dog, just turned 7.

My 4 year old black female has been with a pro since she was 6 months old. She had 15 derby points, is QAA, and is running the open. We just bring her home to visit once in awhile. Hopefully this will be her year. I hunted her a couple of times and she figured it out way too fast so I pulled her.

My 3 year old black male has been mostly trained by me. He's on his second winter trip right now. He had 8 derby points and is at about the qualifying level. Boy has SERIOUS talent if he ever learns to behave online. I took him hunting a bit this year. He's not great at it yet but he dug out some birds that my hunting dog Ace couldn't find this season.

Blackstone
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I have 7, all GSPs. I do all my own training. I usually train 3 - 4 days per week. That’s my time when I don’t think about work. It keeps me sane, well, somewhat sane.

I run, or have run, AKC and NAVHDA hunt tests with all of my dogs except one. She is a rescue with great breeding and lots of ability. She loves to hunt, and finds lots of birds, but her original owner made her gun shy so I can’t shoot over her. I’m still working with her to try to get her over it. I don’t know if she’ll ever hunt, but at least she has a good home now.

I plan to test my puppy in a NAVHDA Natural Ability Test this spring. I plan to test 3 dogs in NAVHDA Utility Tests this fall (if all goes well).

I hunt my dogs at least 30 days per season, more if I can. We hunt pheasant, sharptails, prairie chickens, Huns, ruffed grouse, woodcock, ducks & geese. I do spend more time hunting upland birds than waterfowl.

YardleyLabs
02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
I have six Labs -- one a "transient" until I find his permanent home, and one that I co-own. Two of my dogs are now pretty much retired from training. Two are training for field trials, and occasional hunt tests -- one at the qualifying level and the other getting ready to run derbies. My baby (3 1/2 months old) is doing obedience now and will begin basics when the weather gets warmer. I participate in the training of all of my dogs, but have also had professional training for three. I train 1-2 days per week at my trainer's and one of my dogs will be returning there for full time work in April. I compete in hunt tests and field trials but do not hunt.

dnf777
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
One black lab for now. Job takes me away too much as it is. Have had up to three at a time, but prefer to focus and work with one for now.

Hunchaser
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Right now I own 6 dogs. One is a Golden the other 5 are labs. 2 of the 5 are pups (12 weeks old)

I train every day except when it's below - 15 C. or there's a whiteout. In hunting we go everyday as I'm retired. Then I spend a week around Manyberries Alberta for upland birds and a week in the Empress area (Eastern Alberta) hunting sharptails. I also try to spend some time along the Rockies looking for grouse.

On upland birds I all of the adults together. When there's a break I'll bring out a pup and let them have some fun.

Next season I hope to spend some time down south doing water work.

Uncle Bill
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
If anyone cares, they can access my post on all this on the other RTF board. Suffice to say, I've trained or helped other family members and friends train several dozen retrievers...mostly labs, but a few chessies and goldens.

I was instrumental in gewtting AKC hunt tests going in this region of the country. I've had several Master hunter dogs, and have judged all levels of that organizations hunt tests, after participating in the AKC field trials for a time, but found I was better suited to the hunting programs because that's what I've done with my dogs.

I have run retrievers in all the games...AKC, HRC, NAHRA, NFRA...and have judged in all except NAHRA. I've trained several labs to HRCH titles, having one 6 year old at this time. And I have another that's 7 months old, both from my Bull dog (avatar) who passed away 7 years ago after achieving 1,000 points in HRC, almost...and an MH title.

My Tank...the 6 year old...and the pup...Babe... are getting training on a daily basis. Babe is in CC and FF programs at this time. Would like to take him down south in March for his swimby training, but doubt he'll be ready, due to the weather we are going through that's delaying his training. But he'll be running HRC hunt tests this summer, and picking up dove in September and ringers this fall.

Tank and Babe last fall at the cabin cleaning table.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/Babesinitialhuntingseason001.jpg

Son's, grandson's, and dog's results from a good day of hunting.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/Uncle_Bill22/Jasonsgoose2.jpg

UB

Marvin S
02-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I have 2 dogs, 8 (Health issues) & 11, that I use for hunting, both FT dogs. When they pass on I will be getting a Brittany as all I now do is Upland.

I've done this since '63 when FT's was the only sport 1 dog at a time. I only wanted a well mannered hunting dog but got involved in Butte MT with Bob Sparks & we went to a picnic trial, & then a few licensed trials. I trained with groups, worked by myself, & used pro's for workouts the last couple of dogs (it was money well spent) as I learned a lot by paying attention. I've done everything in FT's except gun, just not real interested in that. I can train the whole way by myself & also recognize when it's time to pull the plug on a dog, some quicker than others. Been to a few Nationals as both a competitor & a worker, again a real honor for the dog, beyond that not a big deal. I recognize the difference between a dog capable of playing at the highest level & one that should remain playing HT's, that's not a knock, it just takes more bottom to be a big dog.

The driving distances today are a killer, nothing is local. While I have room on my property to work a dog, playing at the highest level requires exposure to a variety of situations & I'm no longer interested in making the truck sellers rich. Plus I have a variety of interests.

But I do love to watch them hunt!!!!!!! Got a new 28 ga O/U that I use on quail & a 20 gauge throwaway that I use on Pheasants. If I hunt geese got a 3 1/2 12 gauge that I use, but don't do a lot of that. Went on a goose hunt many years ago arranged by a friend, who got the guide to let me bring the AFC along. During the hunt one got dropped where no one could walk so I used my dog to pick it up. The guide was duly impressed as my friend figured he would be, both by his performance & his manners.

If I were to post all the dogs that I have had that QAA'd, placed in a Derby which I believe to be accomplishments the list would be long. They all had a good life, we enjoyed them & that's what counts.

JDogger
02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/Lastday1-30-10019-1.jpg

My wife and I have always hunted and trained together for the last 20+ years. The boy in the picture got his HRCH the next summer at 28 months.
He's a joy to to hunt with. A very steady Eddy. I sent him to a pro at six months. I never thought I would use a pro, but time changes everything. He's home now, but I always remember what was said to me when I first got into the games by a long time FT'er. "First, get yourself a good pro..."

JD

M&K's Retrievers
02-08-2011, 12:17 AM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/Lastday1-30-10019-1.jpg

My wife and I have always hunted and trained together for the last 20+ years. The boy in the picture got his HRCH the next summer at 28 months.
He's a joy to to hunt with. A very steady Eddy. I sent him to a pro at six months. I never thought I would use a pro, but time changes everything. He's home now, but I always remember what was said to me when I first got into the games by a long time FT'er. "First, get yourself a good pro..."

JD

A handsome pup. Looks a lot like my Angus except he is siting. Oh and not exposing himself. And not chewing on a bumper or my glove or hat or anvil. ;-)

Bayou Magic
02-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Five dogs I own outright or co-own:

AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH - majority owner - best damn dog on the planet (I might be a little bias); Here's a video I posted on the main forum of us playing the game we love the most: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UODYAOZ4s
Roux and I trained each other.

FC Wing Magic's Standpipe Moon "Piper" - minority owner (now) - I did all of her training up to AA level. Sold majority interest to Brian Freeland. Piper is now with Mark Edwards. They won two Opens last year. Piper should be a player for several years to come.

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu - minority owner - I did the basics and most of the transition work. Tim West has Bleu now and loves him. Bleu is a sibling to Ammo from the 2nd breeding. He is an excellent marker and without question the birdiest dog I've ever seen.

Bayou Magic's Shake It Don't Break It "Prissy" - owner - A wild child if there ever was one. She drives me nuts, but I love her. Prissy has FC/AFC potential. I expect her to calm down enough to make a good gun dog when she's 10. I was going to post a picture of her hunting last year, but I can't find it. There is a heeling stick in the blind, and she is wearing a choke chain with a lead in addition to an ecollar. This girl is a handful. She is the only dog I know that literally broke someone's neck.

Peach of Lonesome Dove SH - Peach is the dog that got me started in the dog games. She is almost 12 now.

fp

BrianW
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
The other members of the pack did not appreciate being omitted from my previous post as they hunt in their ways too! :D
So 5 dogs in total, including 3 Mini Schnauzers, especially Mitzi a very nice natural pointer and great little grouse dog and her sons Jaeger and Chip who are terrors on the squirrels, rodents & other vermin around here.

Fwiw, Duck, I don't "think" anyone here looks down on you & your girl as "lowly hunters", I know I don't.
We "ath-holes" up here live for late Aug to Jan and the tests/games are mainly to provide exposure to different scenarios, build confidence & improve performance during that time. If we happen to win some color to brighten up the hallway, all the better. :)

road kill
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
OK, I will describe my journey with Elvis, not my past dogs.

Which were;
Sinbad
Cadens Mighty Bam-Bam JH SH (GR-Yankees Smokin Red Devil sire & Dyna-Mo bitch)
Wind Rivers Rolling "Thunder" (Gentleman Baily's Gunnin' Gold sire)
( I gave thunder away, that was brutal, I will share that story someday if anyone is interested)

SR Field of Dreams Mr. Elvis--BLm
Passed NAHRA started at 6 months, passed Reginal at 7 months.
Has SH NAHRA title, 1 Seasoned pass in HRC and 1 JH & 1 SH AKC.

He had an honor dog break on his shot flyer (go bird) in a SH test that blew his mind.
3 weeks later he passed his only SH and because I was not happy with some things, stopped running him last summer.
He freaks out on a shot flyer in a test cause he thinks that dog will break again.

We have worked pretty hard on fixing that and I think we have (sort of;-))

We will get an Upland title this winter/spring, I am sure of that (sort of;-))

As far as the work----marking, handling, this guy is the best I have ever had.
When he was 5.5 months old he ran a NAHRA test in MN, the bird landed behind a limb extended into the water.
The point was for all the dogs to swim around the branch and readjust to the AOF.
Not Elvis, he took a straight line and climbed right over this branch, and came back right over the branch (the only dog to do so).
When we were done, Elvis had a title, a standing ovation and someone yelled "Ladies and Gentleman, Elvis has left the building!!"
I cried and we walked away!!
You can't have any more fun in life than that!!!!!

I work with some clubs to run set ups, I have been to Evan Graham's seminars (twice) I follow "Smart Works" and have done all his training on my own, no pro.

I FF'd & CC'd him myself.

I shot 145 birds over him and he got 50 more through guiding tis past season.
Got about 20 ducks this season, he behaved very well in the blind, eyes riveted on the sky.

I have a theory and a plan we used to correct the noise issue, and from all indications it worked.

But I will tell you, when we runs marks it is exciting.
He will sit at the line quietly now (sort of;)), but when I release him, batten down the hatches.
Some of you may have heard his blast off!!:D

He actually got mud and water on a hoity toity judge at an AKC test!!!:shock:
The shot flyer on the water landed about 15 yards in front of him and was flopping around in the water.
It blew his mind and when I released him it was a sight to behold.
She proceeded to tell me she never saw anything like that and failed him.
I told her "neither have I!":cool:

Our goal is AKC SH & HRC HR this summer.

This dog has Dare to Dream & Lean Mac in his pedigree.
My hands are MORE than full.

I am an adrenaline junky to begin with, this guy and I are 2 peas in a pod.

I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

He was 2 years old in December.
I love this dog, he is my best buddy.

stan b & Elvis

ducknwork
02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Nice thread, but....it is worthless without pictures! I'll start.:D You guys follow suit...

One regret I have from this season is not taking enough pictures. She probably retrieved 75 birds this year, so these pictures don't do any justice to her great first season.

A couple limits of doves back in September
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr104/sedwards_08/hunting/IMG_9096.jpg
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr104/sedwards_08/hunting/IMG_9115.jpg
Dixie's first real duck hunting retrieves (this year)http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr104/sedwards_08/hunting/IMG_9792.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr104/sedwards_08/hunting/DSCN1571.jpg
My best hunt ever...http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr104/sedwards_08/hunting/IMG_0335.jpg

Roger Perry
02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
RK quote: He actually got mud and water on a hoity toity judge at an AKC test!!!:shock:
The shot flyer on the water landed about 15 yards in front of him and was flopping around in the water.

RK, if your dog did not break (you said you released him) why did the judge fail you?

road kill
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
"He actually got mud and water on a hoity toity judge at an AKC test!!!:shock:

RK, if your dog did not break (you said you released him) why did the judge fail you?
He did not break, I had a hold of his collar.
She just said that "I don't think I would want to hunt over him today."

I asked her if she hunted, she said "well, no, not really."

Wasn't worth the effort, I was proud of him.
It was funny to see mud on her though!!!:D

I just told him "GOOD DAAAAAWG!!!!!!";-)

RK

BonMallari
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Clint w/ Mirk at a FT in Alaska

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/dogs/mirk.jpg

Nola at the Canadian National with pro Chris LaCross (they went 9 series) photo courtesy of Dona Martin

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/IMG_1795.jpg

Training with Brig in Salt Lake City

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/dogs/CIMG0521.jpg

Roger Perry
02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
He did not break, I had a hold of his collar.
She just said that "I don't think I would want to hunt over him today."

I asked her if she hunted, she said "well, no, not really."

Wasn't worth the effort, I was proud of him.
It was funny to see mud on her though!!!:D

I just told him "GOOD DAAAAAWG!!!!!!";-)

RK

Let me ammend this: I guess it would depend on how much you had to restrain Elvis before he was released. If you did not have to fight with Elvis to restrain him, he should not have been dropped. Elvis should have peed on her leg.:lol:

luvmylabs23139
02-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Hubby and I currently share our lives with 4 labs. I do not hunt them but hubby does. I am the main trainer though. We have a diverse group of labs ranging fom the FC/AFC sired who's who of yellow field breeding to the CH/ dam of CH's who's who of show breeding.
2 actively hunt during the season. The FC/Afc sired rarely hunts due to medical issues including EIC and OCD of the shoulder. The pick male show dog is most likely to be out hunting, sire is an AM/CN CH/MH.
I'm the one that did the force fetch on all 4 of them. 2 are also woking TDI dogs.
Our labs also compete in ob and rally. They also train in tracking.
We have done all of our own training, however since I'm a member of a very old AKC ob club I have constant access to great ob, agility, and tracking trainers and judges.
I teach one of the CGC classes for the club. I used to teach Beginner1 but I got tired of dealing with the public at that level. CGC is at our club public level 3.

Julie R.
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Here are some of my Peakes, from left, Puffin, boss bitch of the whole farm, age 10 (show champion, CD and had HR, WR & SR passes before she decided she hated HTs, learner dog) Panda at 2, the accidental puppy by Puffin son Usher x Puffin daughter Jib registered as Hope Springs Double Puff**, Frosty aka Tugboat Woods Patina, age 7, rescue/adopted last year, and ole Bucket Head Usher, aka Hope Springs Hush Hush age 4, Puffin son and Panda sire.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q254/HopeSpringsFarm/PuffPanFrostyUsh.jpg

M&K's Retrievers
02-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Here's our clan less Freeway. He's camera shy.

Angus, Tucker and Jessie Thanksgiving '09

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/mikewhit_01/fall2009puppics017.jpg

Tucker Dove hunt 2010

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/mikewhit_01/frederick2009032.jpg

Jessie 12/10

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/mikewhit_01/PinOak2010242.jpg

Angus 12/10

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/mikewhit_01/PinOak2010231.jpg

DSO
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I've trained all my labs myself. Started about 30 years ago when my father bought me my 1st lab pup out of Bigstone Kennels in MN. Prior to the pups arrival I was given "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free. Did a pretty good job (for a 15 year old) on the 1st pup and became hooked on Waterfowling and Labs. Took a little break on the dogs through college but once I was settled in to adult life, I studied up on a quality training program and got right back into it. Next 2 labs were well bred and trained by myself to about SH ability. Both died unexpectedly before they turned three. I currently have 2 labs in the house. "Rev" a repeat breeding of Patton x Lotto out of Mike Beadle's kennel in Aberdeen SD. And my newest project "Cal" Also a repeat breeding of Tick x Courtney from Mike and Ann Judas of Ten bears Kennels in IL. Rev is 4yo and Cal turned 1yo in January. Between goose / duck / and pheasant hunting I guess I put in about 40 days a season. The last 6 years my buddies and I have hauled our gear down to North West TN for 5 days of duck hunting on the Mississippi flyway. We hunt some flooded ag fields / the Mississippi / and at least 1 day on Reelfoot Lake. When we're not froze out I try to train at least 4 days a week. Only entered 1 HT a bunch of years back and earned 1 JH pass. Love the dog games but don't have the time or $$ to do it right. I do try to attend any HT's or FT's in my area. Love being in the gallery and watching the dog work. That's it in a nut shell. Wish I knew how to upload pictures. I've got a bunch of nice ones of my 2 meat heads ;-). Good thread Mike. It's cool to hear everyone's story.

Danny

Granddaddy
02-09-2011, 11:33 AM
I own 8 Labs of varying age & ability. I also own one new pup, 14 wks.

I own one FC (rec'd at age 3), Stella, where I did early training through walking fetch (8 mos), then Van Egan did basics to 18 mos, then I did early cold blind/handling work until she was ready for AA/advanced work. Dave Smith has done much of her AA training with or without me. Stella & I went 8 series in the most recent nat'l open.

I own 4 other AA dogs age 6 & under, all have AA placements & two lack only a win for field titles. Their training history is mixed much like Stella, except I did all basics on most of the dogs.

I own 2 other dogs with HT titles (plus two of the above also have MH titles). Both of these two dogs are retired. I did all of the training on the two retired dogs.

With the 6 competing dogs, I train with Dave Smith whenever I can. However, two are recovering from surgery which has put a real damper on their rehab & my training the other dogs as they should be trained. And, unfortunately, has me on this site more than is my normal pattern. :rolleyes:

All of my dogs hunt ducks, pheasants & doves.

huntinman
02-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I have been around labs my whole life. My dad always had labs for duck and dove hunting in S.C where I was born and grew up. I got my first lab when I was 18.

The military eventually took me to Alaska, where I got out and stayed for 21 years. That's where I got into training and learned about better breeding etc... I started out in Anchorage with the old Alaska Retriever Club in 1985. I had a chocolate out of backyard breeding named Jake who was a hell of a hunting dog, but not much for trials and resented all forms of pressure and was not afraid to let you know about it!

I then got a nice black lab that was a out of good breeding and a smart dog. He was very sensitive to me and we became a good team. I ran him in hunt test and field trials. He became a GMHR in NAHRA and an AFC in the trials. Never got his Open win, but had several 2nds. He ended up with 28 all-age pts. This dog was never force fetched and never collar trained. I hunted Preacher extensively and he even went big game hunting with me all over Alaska.

After that I had another black and another chocolate, both out of good breeding. The black dog became qualified all age, but could not get over the hump in the big time.

The next dog I was fortunate enough to run was a wonderful little 60lb female that was raised and trained by one of my best friends formerly from Alaska, now living in WA. Liddy was smart little dog that just knew where the birds where. I had the opportunity to co-own her with Mark and we had an absolute ball for several years. We ran 4 Nationals, going to the 9th in the National Open in Cheraw SC, and going 8 series 2 times, and 7 in the other. Liddy qualified for 2 or 3 other Nationals. She ended up with 96.5 all age points. Unfortunately, she got cancer and died young at the age of 8 not long after winning a 96 dog Open in CA with Mark running her and getting a 2nd in her last trial about a month before her death. We never knew she was sick till it was too late. That was in 2003. I have not run any trials since then, with the exception of a couple of derbies year before last.

I do have an 11 yr old daughter of Liddy lying at my feet as I type this. She has been a great hunting dog for a long time. Ran derbies with her and that was it for trials. Also, a 4 yr old male family dog... both are black labs.