PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Upland entries this spring?

jwh1949
02-07-2011, 07:04 AM
I cant figure this one out but maybe someone can. Having run and judged Upland tests in Mich and Ohio in the past years I always saw dogs and handlers participating at every test. Some of them were quads and had full flights.
This March Southern Michigan HRC is holding a Upland quad and I was surprised to see the limited number of enteries at this point. What really surprised me was that I know of 2 other Michigan HRC clubs that cancelled their Uplands this spring making Southerns test the only one in the state.
Someone enlighten me on this one. Is it the harsh winter has not allowed training,or that no one wants to put that title on their dog, the effect of a poor economy or what?. I must say I'm stumped. When I titled my dog a few years back I was lucky to get him into the tests, now it seems like we cant put together 10 dogs for the weekend. Any thoughts, Jack

WALDMAN79
02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I know weather has had a lot to do with it. I've had 3 just for fun events and an upland training day cancelled because of it. Nobody wants to send in an entry and then the weather get crappy I guess.

Diane Brunelle
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
It's not just your area but New England as well. The entries have been low in Upland and at least one test I know of cancelled for lack of entries in the last year.
I think it's lack of training opportunities partly and the long winters are not helping. We have one dog title in Upland and it is not an easy title to achieve. The excitement level of an Upland far exceeds and or the other HRC tests. With the cost of an entry fee for a Quad these days, it may put some people off who cannot train properly for the event in the spring.
Diane

seandcso75
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
We (Key City HRC, Dubuque Iowa) are hosting our test in March. Hopefully we can get enough entries to stay afloat. Wish us luck!!

Diane Brunelle
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I wish you the best of luck! I hope you get enough entries to stay in the "black"....and that there is no snow left on the ground.
Diane

badbullgator
02-07-2011, 11:40 PM
We dropped our upland after several years of low numbers

road kill
02-08-2011, 06:23 AM
We (Key City HRC, Dubuque Iowa) are hosting our test in March. Hopefully we can get enough entries to stay afloat. Wish us luck!!

We will be there!!

stan b

seandcso75
02-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Great Stan! I follow your posts periodically. Can't wait to meet you.

road kill
02-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Great Stan! I follow your posts periodically. Can't wait to meet you.

The pleasure will be all mine!

I am thinking a couple guys from our club will be coming.

stan b

jwh1949
02-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks all for the replies and insights as to the lack of numbers. I also feel that the weather and economy at this point is making it difficult to draw folks. I even noticed that in regular hunts the numbers are down a little except in finish. All in all its just a bump in the road involved in this dog stuff,thanks again, Jack

blinddogmaddie
02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I believe that besides the weather affecting upland tests, the economy has caught up with many. It's not cheap to run four tests in a weekend.
I will have run four different clubs upland events by then. Wouldn't mind going to Iowa, but will be out of money by then. It will then be time to get ready for UKC & AKC hunt tests. Lots to run this year.

seandcso75
02-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Keep us in mind for our Regular test in August.

podunkccrs
02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi Jack,
Which other Michigan clubs cancelled?
Sarah

wojo
02-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Poor Planning
Poor Birds
Inconsistant results
Luck as much a part as Skill
Artificial ,hardly any relationship to the real thing

Otherwise no issue.

Don't believe it's the economy

2labs
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
CANCELLED

HIDDEN PINES HRC
March 26 & 27, 2011
UPLAND HUNT (4)
HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Thanks
Dave

robertnla
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Cajun HRC is hosting a double upland hunt Sunday Feb 13th
Premium posted on HRC site
We always have Walk-ins at the hunt
Everyone is invited to participate
Weather forecast is nice and sunny high 60's

jwh1949
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Hey Sarah- I know that St Clair Flats cancelled theirs this year, Jack

duke7581
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
i believe march is to early for us up north to get dogs ready hard enough to be ready for april tests.

jwh1949
02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Poor Planning
Poor Birds
Inconsistant results
Luck as much a part as Skill
Artificial ,hardly any relationship to the real thing

Otherwise no issue.

Don't believe it's the economy

I dont know Mr Wojo but it sounds as if youve had some bad runs at uplands. I can tell ya for a fact any upland Ive been involved with was well planned,had consistent results as far as the judging goes,was as real as it gets with natural flushes and I never saw a team relying on luck make it through, Jack

seandcso75
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I see the River Valley HRC club in Spring Green has cancelled their Upland test due to lack of entries. I can't stress enough that if the HRC family can't support our clubs we won't have any tests to run. Our club has already discussed what will happen if we have to cancel our test and our Regular test is a bust. It was not good for the HRC and I would not be surprised if other clubs were to follow. I understand that with the economy and gas prices it puts a damper on how many tests we may be able to run. As the President of the KCHRC I have received many emails from neighboring club members telling us how great it is that there are more clubs running tests to keep things close. This will not be a luxury if we don't support each other. Remember even if you already have your UH title you can still get the points towards your goal of 500 or 1000. Come on guys and gals lets get it together and show everyone why the HRC is the greatest organization out there!:)