PDA

View Full Version : Golf ball hitting steel at 150 MPH

Roger Perry
02-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Here's a video shot at 70,000 frames per second
(that's 70,000) showing a golf ball hit a steel wall
at 150 mph. No one has a swing speed of 150 mph,
including Tiger Woods who is just under 130 mph.
I had no idea the golf ball compresses this much.

But first a little history

1- The Pro V-1 golf ball
by Titleist is actually a three part ball, but you
have to have a club head
speed of at least 100 mph or more to be able to
compress all three stages...
If you don't the ball never fully compresses and
you don't get the distance out of it that the pro's do.

2- We, will get more distance out of a ball that
only has two stages of compression...
Like the Titleist NG Tour. It is more suited to our
swing speed and we can compress it upon impact
and can hit it further than the Pro V-1 ball.

3- So the secret is not to buy the most expensive
balls out there because we are actually decreasing
the distance we can hit the ball, unless your club
head speed is over 100 mph, which unless you are
21 to 50 years old, isn't going to happen!!!

Watch this video, this shows what a golf ball goes
through when hit at 150 mph...it's amazing to me
how long these balls last. Maybe that's why the
Pro's use new balls every time they play....

http://www.flixxy.com/golf-ball-slow-motion.htm (http://www.flixxy.com/golf-ball-slow-motion.htm)

Wow, 70,000 frames per second.

mjh345
02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Cool!!!!!!

Steve Hester
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
You are wrong about one thing. I am 57 years old and still have a club head speed over 100 mph.

Roger Perry
02-08-2011, 07:31 AM
You are wrong about one thing. I am 57 years old and still have a club head speed over 100 mph.

I did not make that statement so I am not wrong, the article may be wrong and there are always exceptions. Hope you enjoyed the article and video.

Rtyler4616
02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Jamie Sadlowski a back-to-back long drive champion, has a swing speed of 150mph and a ball speed of 216mph. Pretty Ridiculous!

BonMallari
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
"the woods are filled with long hitters" - Harvey Pennick

I caddied a US Open qualifier once and we had a National long drive champ in our group, he consistently drove the ball 350 yds off the tee, but unfortunately hit his wedges 150 yds when he only needed 90yds or less...I think he shot 91 that day

Rtyler4616
02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I work at a golf store, and about all people look for in there, is a way to hit the ball farther with a new driver instead of spending money on lessons. Thats why each company can pump out 3 new driver a year at 400 dollars a pop and people will "upgrade" everytime. But if I'm going to be honest....I've been sucked into it occasionally myself.

BonMallari
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I work at a golf store, and about all people look for in there, is a way to hit the ball farther with a new driver instead of spending money on lessons. Thats why each company can pump out 3 new driver a year at 400 dollars a pop and people will "upgrade" everytime. But if I'm going to be honest....I've been sucked into it occasionally myself.

I worked in/at the golf business too and once I learned about optimum launch angles,driver loft, and shaft flex kick, I was able to buy a little extra distance, but I got my best distance from using the correct ball that matched my swing type, and one I could keep in play ( used to be maxfli, but now I use Bridgestone B330s)

verne socks
02-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Some comments on youtube say that really is not a ball - some kind of "look alike".