PDA

View Full Version : Dept of ED est 1979

luvmylabs23139
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
OK, I have a few questions for those who believe the Dept of ED is a good use of taxpayer money.
Did you go to school before or after the dept of ED was actually up and running?
The dept of ED was esablished in 1979 and became effective in May 1980 which means that in reality nothing was effective until at least school year for a graduating class of at least 1982.
Schools seem to me to be a heck of alot worse since I was a student.
Admitting my age, I graduated high school in 1981.
Many of the issues I see reported in the news have nothing to do with education and everything to do with the behavior of students.
We didn't have police in the schools nor the need for them.
We had a 99.95% graduation rate.
What has changed and how did the dept of ED help or hinder this?

road kill
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
OK, I have a few questions for those who believe the Dept of ED is a good use of taxpayer money.
Did you go to school before or after the dept of ED was actually up and running?
The dept of ED was esablished in 1979 and became effective in May 1980 which means that in reality nothing was effective until at least school year for a graduating class of at least 1982.
Schools seem to me to be a heck of alot worse since I was a student.
Admitting my age, I graduated high school in 1981.
Many of the issues I see reported in the news have nothing to do with education and everything to do with the behavior of students.
We didn't have police in the schools nor the need for them.
We had a 99.95% graduation rate.
What has changed and how did the dept of ED help or hinder this?

We didn't need Police....we had to answer to our parents!!:shock:

RK

Blackstone
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM

RK

I think that is the point. Itís not the Dept. of Ed. that is the problem. The behavior you see in schools is just a reflection of the ills of our society in general. You canít expect kids to come to school and act like model students when their parents arenít instilling good values at home.

ducknwork
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM
^^Couldn't agree more. So how do we fix that?

Franco
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
^^Couldn't agree more. So how do we fix that?

Drop a nuke on the M-TV headquarters!;-)

cotts135
02-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Drop a nuke on the M-TV headquarters!;-)

That would be a good start. Another good idea is something I have seen called the E and E quotient. Education/Entertainment. I don't need to tell which takes up the bigger percentage of kids time (Adults also) Maybe read a book instead of playing a computer game or how about joining a civic organization and giving to the community instead of hanging with the hood and how about learning about values such as loyalty, being trustworthy etc.
I can dream can't I :)
I don't know old fashion I guess,,,,,,,,,,:p

road kill
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
That would be a good start. Another good idea is something I have seen called the E and E quotient. Education/Entertainment. I don't need to tell which takes up the bigger percentage of kids time (Adults also) Maybe read a book instead of playing a computer game or how about joining a civic organization and giving to the community instead of hanging with the hood and how about learning about values such as loyalty, being trustworthy etc.
I can dream can't I :)
I don't know old fashion I guess,,,,,,,,,,:p

UHHHHH, hows about no texting in school???

I have some buddies that still teach / coach, they are astounded at the audacity of these kids.
(I call it disrespect)
They are on their cell phones and or texting during a lecture.

Then, they go home and excercise their social media rights!!

Pants on the ground regards...........

RK

BonMallari
02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
the problem with the Dept of Ed is that it spurned many entitlement programs and the return on those was minimal compared to the massive expenditures, but it was a feel good moment for the country, but could not solve the social issues that were happening in the inner cities, and rural townships..the Dept of Ed was never designed to raise the kids of America but many parents thought that it was the public school systems job to raise their kids,but as we all know nothing could be further from the truth...what people fail to realize is that you cant keep throwing money at a problem (education) in the hopes that it will cure itself...Our failing educational system has more to do with a decline in society and the family structure than it does with the school itself

BrianW
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I graduated HS in '78 so didn't affect me.
But if we look at grad rates just from 1990 to 2008 has anything much improved during that time?
Despite the existence of DoEd, the tons of $'s and myriad of programs to improve education? .
I don't think so.
http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/?year=1990&level=nation&mode=map&state=0&submeasure=36

Public High School Graduation Rates - 1990

http://www.higheredinfo.org/mapgen/state.php?datacol=469

Public High School Graduation Rates - 2008
http://www.higheredinfo.org/mapgen/state.php?datacol=18141

And according to this report http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2010/0610/Graduation-rate-for-US-high-schoolers-falls-for-second-straight-year
Graduation rate for US high-schoolers falls for second straight year

Roger Perry
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

RK

Boy, ain't that the truth. When I was in high school I was at a friends house who lived out in the country. It was around 8 in the evening and I called my dad to see if i could spend the night there. He said no and I had better be home in 15 minutes. Well, my friend lived about 6 miles from where I lived and I started running (litteraly) home when a cop stopped me and asked me why I was running. (in those days people did not go out jogging for the exercise). I told him my dad gave me 15 minutes to get home and he said jump in, I'll give you a ride home.

starjack
02-08-2011, 05:05 PM
I deal with the green bay school system on a daliy basis. I can not believe how these kid cuss and back talk to teachers. I am not talking just high schools. They have so many intitlements now the teacher cant do nothing to stop it. Not to sound to old fashion but when i got home there was chores to be done milking, feeding, hay to unload. I blame alot of it in this order 1-family values ( make the kids and parents accountable) 2- Get rid of all these intitlements and let the teachers take back there class rooms.(Have those same teacher doing there job right or be replaced) 3-Somehow try to curb the play stations the junk they see on tv ala skins. Promote good sound civic organized duty for the kids to do.( Help the ederly move there snow, rake the ,leaves ,mow there lawn, I know im wishing for alot but i agree with everybody so far. But the future of our country is our kids . I feel the dept of ed has its good things but there are many flaws that should be taken care of.

Marvin S
02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I graduated HS in '78 so didn't affect me.
But if we look at grad rates just from 1990 to 2008 has anything much improved during that time?
Despite the existence of DoEd, the tons of $'s and myriad of programs to improve education? .
I don't think so.
http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/?year=1990&level=nation&mode=map&state=0&submeasure=36

Public High School Graduation Rates - 1990

http://www.higheredinfo.org/mapgen/state.php?datacol=469

Public High School Graduation Rates - 2008
http://www.higheredinfo.org/mapgen/state.php?datacol=18141

And according to this report http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2010/0610/Graduation-rate-for-US-high-schoolers-falls-for-second-straight-year
Graduation rate for US high-schoolers falls for second straight year

I find those graduation rates appalling!!!!!!! Contrary to what many of you post I heartily disagree.

The Education establishment ceded the ground that is now occupied by the many forms of blame. They were in charge in my day, not always correct but always given the benefit of doubt. My grade school teacher (usually one of the brightest from the local Hi School) arrived early, stoked the fire, made arrangements for someone to bring water to the school (we all usually drank out of the same dipper) & if there were supplies available one of the mothers cooked a hot lunch for us. There were none of the various bureaucracies creating no value. If you weren't in school there was plenty to do at home so you better be there.

We had recess - at least 2 programs a year where the kids were able to show off their talents & for those of us with a special talent, she hauled us to the County Seat to participate in that program. & occasionally there was a field trip down to the creamery or the local slaughterhouse :cool:.

Kids unable to keep up were allowed to retake that year in with the hope they would mature.

I see none of that today, what I do see is a bunch of overpaid whiners, not all but too many, who want to blame their failing on someone else. Rest assured, if you take an interest in how your child is doing & have an expectation of results, you will be labeled as someone hard to get along with. I'm not a fan of the education system as it is today, but I will tell you it is not the fault of the parents that it is what it is.

mjh345
02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Great post Marvin!!

JDogger
02-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Great post Marvin!!

Ennui in the forums....I must ....take my leave. JD

Google it...

Roger Perry
02-09-2011, 07:07 AM
I find those graduation rates appalling!!!!!!! Contrary to what many of you post I heartily disagree.

The Education establishment ceded the ground that is now occupied by the many forms of blame. They were in charge in my day, not always correct but always given the benefit of doubt. My grade school teacher (usually one of the brightest from the local Hi School) arrived early, stoked the fire, made arrangements for someone to bring water to the school (we all usually drank out of the same dipper) & if there were supplies available one of the mothers cooked a hot lunch for us. There were none of the various bureaucracies creating no value. If you weren't in school there was plenty to do at home so you better be there.

We had recess - at least 2 programs a year where the kids were able to show off their talents & for those of us with a special talent, she hauled us to the County Seat to participate in that program. & occasionally there was a field trip down to the creamery or the local slaughterhouse :cool:.

Kids unable to keep up were allowed to retake that year in with the hope they would mature.

I see none of that today, what I do see is a bunch of overpaid whiners, not all but too many, who want to blame their failing on someone else. Rest assured, if you take an interest in how your child is doing & have an expectation of results, you will be labeled as someone hard to get along with. I'm not a fan of the education system as it is today, but I will tell you it is not the fault of the parents that it is what it is.

Jeeze Marvin that was harder than the mile & a half I had to walk uphill in the snow to go to school.;-)

huntinman
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Jeeze Marvin that was harder than the mile & a half I had to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to go to school.;-)