PDA

View Full Version : America's Hunters

Golddogs
02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
America's hunters.

I spend my fall weekends tramping around the woods in pursuit of a buck, a lot of my friends and neighbors do as well.
This blogger adds up all the hunters in just a handful of states, and comes to a striking conclusion:

The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed.

That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters.

Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran;more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay.

But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week.

Michigan's 700,000 hunters have now returned home.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia, and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer.

It's a matter of national security.

"That's why all enemies foreign and domestic want to see us disarmed."

-- Most of all, Our Government --

TxHillHunter
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Interesting.....only, why does he assume everyone licensed to hunt in Wisconsin will hunt deer? Surely there are some waterfowlers up there before things lock up. :p

dnf777
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
In Pennsylvania, there were 750,000 deer hunters by the last survey I saw. It used to be just over 1.1 million not too long ago. Given the number of fatal accidents (only a few) per 1.1mil, the rate of death for hunting was lower than playing badminton in your back yard. But the antis still want it portrayed as "dangerous".

Granddaddy
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Actually during WWII, Hitler came to this very conclusion about Switzerland. Each male Swiss citizen (at that time) was required to serve a short rifle training course upon reaching age 18. At the conclusion of the training, the citizens were given the rifle used during training, given a supply of ammo and were inducted into the Swiss army reserve.

After the war, there were German army documents publicized that clearly indicated that a Swiss army of virtually every male in the country plus the rugged terrain made an invasion of Switzerland more difficult than beneficial and German plans were abandoned because of the unique Swiss situation.

ducknwork
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
(Japanese Navy)