PDA

View Full Version : March is an important Month

dnf777
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Every March is ColonCancer Awareness Month. If you are over 50, or over 40 with colon cancer in a first degree relative.....set aside a day in March to get your screening colonoscopy, if you haven't already done so.

Colon cancer is the number two killer of Americans. (because so many have smoked, lung cancer is number one---if you DON'T smoke, colon cancer is YOUR number one) Life time risk for the average Joe or Jane is 1 in 17.

A colonoscopy should not be painful. They are done under sedation in most cases. I have had several people refuse sedation, and did just fine even without. Having a screening colonoscopy greatly reduces your risk of dying too young from colon cancer or rectal cancer, which is by and large, a preventable disease.

The colonoscopy is a walk in the park compared to a diagnosis of cancer! This is one of the rare instances where we can intervene, and prevent cancer from ever getting out of the starting gate.

David Ferraro Jr., M.D.
Chief, Colon and Rectal Surgery
UPMC Northwest

M&K's Retrievers
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
The procedure is a walk in the park and should not be feared. The night before blows (no pun intended) but it is not horrible, just inconvenient. The worst part of the whole deal was having to watch Joy Behar on The View in prep while I was waiting my turn.

Make sure you get the remote regards,

JDogger
02-10-2011, 11:54 PM
The procedure is a walk in the park and should not be feared. The night before blows (no pun intended) but it is not horrible, just inconvenient. The worst part of the whole deal was having to watch Joy Behar on The View in prep while I was waiting my turn.

Make sure you get the remote regards,

Didn't get to watch TV, but I do have the DVD of the procedure...I could post it if ya want....:rolleyes: then maybe you'd see things through Dave's eyes.:p JD

BonMallari
02-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Moon River.....or here's to looking up your old address....

had one done before....thanks for the reminder

M&K's Retrievers
02-11-2011, 12:20 AM
.... but I do have the DVD of the procedure...I could post it if ya want....:rolleyes: JD

Let me think about that for a minute. NO!:barf:

JDogger
02-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Let me think about that for a minute. NO!:barf:

Awww, come on. If RK is gonna out-Roger, Roger. Why can't I out-Roger RK? JD

T. Mac
02-11-2011, 12:49 AM
And also remember to get your PSA test done. Simple, fast and a life saver.

Celebrating my 3 year post surgery clear results.

T. Mac

ducknwork
02-11-2011, 07:23 AM
If you are over 50, or over 40 with colon cancer in a first degree relative.....

One more advantage to being young....:cool:Whew!!

road kill
02-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Awww, come on. If RK is gonna out-Roger, Roger. Why can't I out-Roger RK? JD

You have issues.

RK