PDA

View Full Version : POTUS Dawgs......

road kill
02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
OK, since we are the "Dark Side" of RTF......who dun what with their dawgs this weekend????

Me and Elvis executed a near perfect practice run on an Upland set up.

In fact, on the honor the bird landed about 5 to 8 yards in front of him, he did not break!!!:shock:

Miraculous.
This would NOT have happened last year.
We have worked very hard on steadiness at the line.
It CAN be done!!!!

I also get to shoot a lot, I will be a gunner in our clubs test.
The word is I have "anger management issues" because of what happens to these poor innocent chukars!!!!:rolleyes:
It ain't my fault they flew into my bb's.;-)

RK

BrianW
02-13-2011, 05:34 PM
We're working more on "no hands" backs & overs and verbal handling ("gee" & "haw") with Rebel due to wife's car accident injury in Nov. and inability to cast using her right arm. Hoping for good things in Finished this year with the team.

Looking forward to the HRC Handler/Judges seminar in mid March with the NE WA Gun Dog Club and maybe being able to give back a little in that way in Started (?).

Ken Bora
02-13-2011, 05:53 PM
I spent the day in the woods hind end deep in snow hugging trees.
I had all my dogs with me. The snow was too deep for them to spend all day in.
So they had a bit of truck time. I took a few breaks and did a formal OB session
with the pup Loco, he also drug his rope when he was in the woods. Did big wagon wheel drill with all dogs. Lined to pile with Loco and Ice. Set up Scooby Do for a big E-Collar correction for snacking on turdcicles. And busted my ass working with the trees.
Will do it all again on the morrow. Hope to be ready to tap NEXT weekend!!!!!!!!

dixidawg
02-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Worked my 2 at a 550 bird tower shoot. About 3' of snow on the ground, but the top had a hard enough crust so the dogs could run on it. It was a great day with 2 very happy and very tired pooches.

Uncle Bill
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Stretching out the 8 month old pup. Marking to 150 yards and holding a pretty good line downwind. Tried a couple with a strong sidewind, but could see that was stupid. Good way to develope bad habits early. Dog gave to the wind and drove past the mark 30 yards downwind of it, well below the 'scent-cone', so needed BB help to get it in the AOF.

Put a stop to that 'experiment'. Had a pretty good idea that's what would happen, but like a fool, we have to prove it again, and put a stop to the thinking we have the worlds only "super-pup", capable of far more than it's been taught to deal with.

His 'hold' segment of the FF program seems to have sunk in and retained fairly well. He brought all bumpers and Dokkens back to hand, so I was pleased with that piece of learning. Now if the ear-pinch portion goes as well, and he goes through denial without a hassle, I B a happy camper.

UB

M&K's Retrievers
02-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Tucker and Angus worked on 150 yard triples with an 125 blinds.

Jessie worked on wagon wheel drills, whistle sits, 125 yard triples with an 85 yard blinds.

That was Friday and Saturday. Today we played.

Seat on a duck regards,

dback
02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Mine is running at the Master level in NAHRA and would be running at the same level in AKC if he didn't have the worst handler in the freaking world. Yesterday was a team effort screw up but today was pure D, dumb arsed, stupid *^%$(@ on the handlers part to get him DQed. At this rate he'll be using a walker to finish his MH. Still needin' that one more pass.

Doug Kennedy
02-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Ran two dogs on 300 bird Tower Hunt...a foot of snow...made things interesting...dogs did well... their old handler had hard time with the snow
But beautuiful day in the 40's...haven't seen that temp for quite awhile
Great day for Wis winter

Buzz
02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
All I did was go out snowshoeing with my hunting dawg to get us both some exercise. The other two dogs are in Texas, so no training...

Rob Paye
02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Ran a bunch of pattern blinds and went for a two hour walk with all 4 dawgs on the river. (frozen) What a great day !!!!!!!!!

BonMallari
02-14-2011, 03:38 AM
I am working all weekend...I will go and train with Al and the guys on Tues up in Overton...I know that the water in Boise is starting to thaw because Clint ran some water blinds in the afternoon, still havent decided if he is going to run SE Washington and Samish FT's next month

paul young
02-14-2011, 05:43 AM
took all 4 for a long walk on the beach, despite 30+ mph winds. it's the only safe place to exercise them now. still 2 feet of crusty snow that won't support their weight. parking lots are strewn with ice patches, as well.

i hope March serves up better weather......-Paul

luvmylabs23139
02-14-2011, 09:35 AM
took all 4 for a long walk on the beach, despite 30+ mph winds. it's the only safe place to exercise them now. still 2 feet of crusty snow that won't support their weight. parking lots are strewn with ice patches, as well.

i hope March serves up better weather......-Paul

Oh. I really do not miss that crusty snow and the cut pads that can go along with it. Just airing the dogs can be a nightmare. They can take weeks to heal because they just keep splitting them back open even on leash.

Julie R.
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
I am recovering from pneumonia & laryngitis so my bored dogs that have had no work in weeks helped husband cleam up downed limbs off the fences, repair broken boards, drag brush and downed limbs & trees to the brush pile in preparation for a rather large bonfire as soon as conditions are right.

ducknwork
02-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I threw a few bumpers and my wife took Dixie for a walk. Can't seem to find the time to do much more than that right now.

paul young
02-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I am recovering from pneumonia & laryngitis so my bored dogs that have had no work in weeks helped husband cleam up downed limbs off the fences, repair broken boards, drag brush and downed limbs & trees to the brush pile in preparation for a rather large bonfire as soon as conditions are right.

i hope you;re 100% soon, Julie. take care of yourself. i had pneumonia once and it's no joke! i hope to never do THAT again.....-Paul

dnf777
02-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Kind of a buzz-kill, but spent the w/e helping to recover the daughter of a friend who apparently took a large dose of anti-depressants, and took a stroll onto the frozen Allegheny River. Hasn't been seen since last Monday. A very beautiful 20 year old college student who seemingly had the whole world ahead of her.

Hug your kids and tell them you love them.

road kill
02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Kind of a buzz-kill, but spent the w/e helping to recover the daughter of a friend who apparently took a large dose of anti-depressants, and took a stroll onto the frozen Allegheny River. Hasn't been seen since last Monday. A very beautiful 20 year old college student who seemingly had the whole world ahead of her.

Hug your kids and tell them you love them.

I am just kind of curious, what the hell prompted you to post that here?

RK

dnf777
02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I am just kind of curious, what the hell prompted you to post that here?

RK

You asked what we did with our dogs this weekend, didn't you? that's what I did.

Why do you ask a question, then ask why someone answers it?

huntinman
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Kind of a buzz-kill

Master of the understatement...

starjack
02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Ran a bunch of pattern blinds and went for a two hour walk with all 4 dawgs on the river. (frozen) What a great day !!!!!!!!!

Rob did you have a coffee mug withyou;-) Had the club challenge pointer vs flushers. Pointer took it this year. B est part was two puppys were in the run off. ONE WAS 9MTH THE OTHER 11MTH. The light came on for that pointer.

troy schwab
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Me and my pup went shed hunting for the first time this year...... bit too much snow, but still a good walk in the woods. He has cabin fever worse than me...... thawing out now.... should be able to run some pattern blinds soon!! Cant wait.

Rob Paye
02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
:p
Rob did you have a coffee mug withyou;-) Had the club challenge pointer vs flushers. Pointer took it this year. B est part was two puppys were in the run off. ONE WAS 9MTH THE OTHER 11MTH. The light came on for that pointer.

No mug. I waited till I got home and made up for it.

Leddyman
02-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Saturday we went out and shot a couple of flier singles for Scooter. I missed both barrels on the second one and it flew off into the woods. Scooter went in after and rooted him out of the creek and brought him back. 3 Fliers for the price of 2. :D

The gunner is rusty. The dog is rusty. We ran 1 decent all age water blind. Then we hacked up a land blind. I see what I need to work on.

The highlight of Saturday was Lottie, the new pup, getting her first duck. One of the fresh shot fliers.

I posted pictures on the main forum. http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66506

After all that I set up the thrower and my 13 year old daughter shot a round of skeet. she broke 14 of 25. She just started last year and she is really improving.

It was a pretty good afternoon all the way round.

Granddaddy
02-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Saturday we went out and shot a couple of flier singles for Scooter. I missed both barrels on the second one and it flew off into the woods. Scooter went in after and rooted him out of the creek and brought him back. 3 Fliers for the price of 2. :D

The gunner is rusty. The dog is rusty. We ran 1 decent all age water blind. Then we hacked up a land blind. I see what I need to work on.

The highlight of Saturday was Lottie, the new pup, getting her first duck. One of the fresh shot fliers.

I posted pictures on the main forum. http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66506

After all that I set up the thrower and my 13 year old daughter shot a round of skeet. she broke 14 of 25. She just started last year and she is really improving.

It was a pretty good afternoon all the way round.

The gunner can always get practice shooting flyers at the ARC FT & HT this spring...;-)

Leddyman
02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
The gunner can always get practice shooting flyers at the ARC FT & HT this spring...;-)

That is what I'm warming up for. It is on my calendar and I will be there shotgun in hand.

Steve Hester
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I helped run a training day for our club on Saturday. Had probably 25 handlers and probably 35-40 dogs there. It went really well. Then went down to Corsicana for two days and trained with 3 others. My 4 dogs got lots of good training in the last 3 days. Have been running lots of long single marks with lots of concept. They have all improved lately. Couldn't ask for a better last 3 days.

luvmylabs23139
02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Since the usual field /show debate has reared it's annual head on the main forum I was wondering which category our potus dogs fall into.
MY current dogs:
Shadow 9 year old bitch 7/8 field with a twist of show.
Piper 8 year old show bred Sire is CH dam is dam of champions 3/4 of graparents are CH's Dam has her JH as does paternal grandsire who also has his CD
Buddy 6 year old Sire is an FC/AFC dam is FC/AFC sired.
Magic 5 year old Sire is Am Cn CH/CD MH Dam is JH from a show bred MH that was a littermate to a CH/SH . HIs maternal great granddam was an Am/Cn Bermuda CH/CDX

FOM
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Or they will just have their Am judges shoot for them ;)

Blackstone
02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Since the usual field /show debate has reared it's annual head on the main forum I was wondering which category our potus dogs fall into.
MY current dogs:
Piper 8 year old show bred Sire is CH dam is dam of champions 3/4 of graparents are CH's Dam has her JH as does paternal grandsire who also has his CD
Magic 5 year old Sire is Am Cn CH/CD MH Dam is JH from a show bred MH that was a littermate to a CH/SH . HIs maternal great granddam was an Am/Cn Bermuda CH/CDX

All of my dogs come from hunting lines. I want them to look good, but I'm more interested in how they perform than how they look. I have one now that isnt' conformtionaly very good, but he sure can find birds, and is a retrieving fool. I would take that any day over some of the show dogs I've seen that couldn't find their food bowl without help.

I believe a dog should be able to do what the breed was intended to do, not just be good to look at.

Buzz
02-18-2011, 07:43 PM
MY current dogs:

Not much show here.

http://www.gooddoginfo.com/gdc/asp/viewpedigree.asp?DogNo=84178

http://www.gooddoginfo.com/gdc/asp/viewpedigree.asp?DogNo=88364

http://gooddoginfo.com/gdc/Asp/viewpedigreedetailed.asp?DogNo=80036

Leddyman
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Not much show here.

http://www.gooddoginfo.com/gdc/asp/viewpedigree.asp?DogNo=84178

http://www.gooddoginfo.com/gdc/asp/viewpedigree.asp?DogNo=88364

http://gooddoginfo.com/gdc/Asp/viewpedigreedetailed.asp?DogNo=80036

Well we might not agree on much else, but you've got good taste in pedigrees.

What do we know? Buzz doesn't scrimp when it comes to dogs. ;)

Leddyman
02-18-2011, 10:18 PM
MY current dogs:

What do you do with your dogs venue wise? Do you see a big difference in desire and performance between your show dogs and the FC sired dogs? I came very close to getting a CH/MH type breeding, but at the last minute I pussed out and went with a heavy FC AFC pedigree. I have this notion that with the right dog I could have a CH/QAA. I am running Q's with my dog now and I can see that it is very doable, I just don't know if the show lines have it. So what do you see as far as difference in yours?

JDogger
02-18-2011, 11:07 PM
In the last 20 years I've tried them all. Show X HT, Show X FT, FT X HT, (Auggie X 'Bubba' HT bitch, "a wild woman, better with wolves"). Now I have a GRHRCH X HRCH, w/ a little Maxx. Very tractable, 6 outta 8 finished passes @ 3 years. A joy in the blind and @ home. Now, for a few years, we maybe just getta go play games. JD

His demeanor @ hunt.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/JDoggger/Lastday1-30-10019-1.jpg

luvmylabs23139
02-19-2011, 09:40 AM
What do you do with your dogs venue wise? Do you see a big difference in desire and performance between your show dogs and the FC sired dogs? I came very close to getting a CH/MH type breeding, but at the last minute I pussed out and went with a heavy FC AFC pedigree. I have this notion that with the right dog I could have a CH/QAA. I am running Q's with my dog now and I can see that it is very doable, I just don't know if the show lines have it. So what do you see as far as difference in yours?

The best 2 to compare would be Buddy (FC/AFC) sired and Magic (CH/MH) sired dog. I say that because among other things they are exactly 9 months apart in age. The biggest difference between the 2 is that Buddy LIVES to retrieve while Magic LOVES to retrieve. Both are great markers. Buddy is faster than Magic in an outright sprint. Magic seems to have better overall endurance. Think of a sprinter vs a marathon runner. On a hunt for the bird, bumper, ball or whatever Buddy is more frantic while Magic is more calm and methodical, it as if Buddy gets in a panic while Magic doesn't. Of the 2 Magic is more like what people think of when they talk about dual purpose labs of the past. Buddy is too high strung.
I will tell you that is much easier to find a lab with a strong FC pedigree than a strong CH/MH type pedigree. You can find a pup that has a CH/MH sire but it is hard to find one with strong working show lines on the top and bottom for several generations.

duk4me
02-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't think this thread belongs on Potus I am going to post a complaint to the admins. Please keep Potus Potus not dog related.

Thank you, Thank you very much.

Did I mention an Elvis impersonator sang at one of weddings?:p

road kill
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
How quickly it can all go horribly wrong!!:oops:

OK, we have been training for the Upland test.
My dog has Lean Mac & Cosmo in the breeding.
There is a drive (anxiety) issue.
Noise, anxious, more noise (sometimes) all that good stuff.
I am up to working with it.

We absolutely can NOT run SH 2 days in a row.

It is what it is, I still love him, he is HELL ON WHEELS in the field.
He can absolutely run a perfect SH test.
(ran an AKC SH, got 1 - 9, the rest 10's)
People commented on how well trained he was........:rolleyes:
And then he blows up it is equally spectacular.
The day after the SH test, he failed a JH test!!!!
(probably me)

WE are steady to flush, I mean people were marveling at our progress.

Then Sat came.
We run the set up of an HRC judge, Stu Henderson.

No biggie, nice test.
Walk up, perfect!!!

Then, as we work to the first flush he gets birdy, I tell the gunners to move up, it's gonna happen fast.
"Don't worry, we got it!!!"
Elvis flushes the bird, sits so I shoot the popper.......4 shots later, and NO HIT BIRD Elvis leaves the building.
Then, he flushes the bird again, sits to the flush, these gunners shoot at 35yards, flush another bird right in front of his nose.
2 birds in his face.

I get him back in, we go on to bird #2.

He gets up there, gets birdy.....no bird is there.
It is the bird that flushed because of all the shooting before.
So......they make us turn around and try to plant another bird.
Except.....it gets away and flys within 10 feet of us.
At this time Elvis has fire in his anxious little eyes.
So.....they plant another bird, we go to the flush area, but alas.....the freakin bird is running down the path and Elvis sees it.....At this point, Elvis' head is in flames....I call him back again, he is like..."Dude, the bird is right here!!

Another planted bird......he flushes, sits, I shoot the popper and guess what???

5 FREAKIN' SHOTS later, Elvis leaves the building!!!!!!!

But...there is MORE!!!

We put him away, and bring him out for 1 more flush.
At this point he is loose as hell.

He flushes the bird.......5 MORE SHOTS LATER, the bird is in a tree 15 yards away flapping it's wings, Elvis sits, looks at me like WTF????

Sooo......We all just shake our heads and laugh our asses off.
I mean I was laughing, it was spectacular......

I bring him back Sun.
I spent a lot of time with the collar and heeling stick.

I ran a couple set ups and used the whistle and collar to reinforce our standard.
He did well.

Finnally on the last set up, I did not use the collar and he sat well again.

So...here is the question;

Should I scratch running him in our clubs upland test this coming weekend?
Or...if we run....should I just reinforce sit to whistle all week and hope we get back to where we were?
(it is paid for)

I know, this is too good to be true....mind you, I know what I have on my hands.
I will always be on that cliff looking over the edge.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

I gun for these training sessions and for our test.
I won't miss, it screws up the dog...bad.
It is really important.

I guess my problem is easier for me to understand, being a adrenaline junky myself.
I have a dog that drags me to the hunt not a dog I have to drag to the hunt!!!

Thanks,

stan b

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
RK...here is my $.02..do NOT scratch the dog, you have to work your way through this minor glitch...but I would back off on the collar and stick for the week, because IMHO you are amping him up even further..you had a bit of bad luck, just the breaks of the game..try running him sans collar (if you dare) to simulate the test condition during the week...

M&K's Retrievers
02-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Stan, PM sent.

huntinman
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I say just keep workin' on it, run it, have fun and whatever happens...happens. Sounds like it was a fun time, no one died (especially the birds!). Buckle your seatbelt on the way to the line!

road kill
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I want you guys to know, I laughed my ass off.

Like I have said many times, when he is on it is special.

And when it goes to hell, we go in style!!

I really wish you could have seen it.

This all happened in less tha 10 minutes.

stan b

Buzz
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I want you guys to know, I laughed my ass off.

Like I have said many times, when he is on it is special.

And when it goes to hell, we go in style!!

I really wish you could have seen it.

This all happened in less tha 10 minutes.

stan b

At the end of the day, they are just dogs. Once I was training with my pro and I said, I can't believe he did something that stupid. He says - don't forget, these guys drink out of the toilet if you give them the chance...

road kill
02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
At the end of the day, they are just dogs. Once I was training with my pro and I said, I can't believe he did something that stupid. He says - don't forget, these guys drink out of the toilet if you give them the chance...

And you know what Buzz, it was a great day!!

Beats the hell out of chemo.........

stan b

charly_t
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
And you know what Buzz, it was a great day!!

Beats the hell out of chemo.........

stan b

Whoes chemo.... yours ? I pray it isn't.

road kill
02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Whoes chemo.... yours ? I pray it isn't.
Nope, worse, I had to watch my best friend take it.
She made me promise to live life like we always did.

I'm keepin' that promise.
And Elvis is helpin'.

Let's roll.............

RK

charly_t
02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Nope, worse, I had to watch my best friend take it.
She made me promise to live life like we always did.

I'm keepin' that promise.
And Elvis is helpin'.

Let's roll.............

RK

Pitts !!!!! I watched my Mother go through it all. Both Hubby's parents died of cancer.

Yep, back to the dogs and presidents now ( in that order ! ). Never give up on any of it ! :-)

luvmylabs23139
02-22-2011, 08:12 AM
How quickly it can all go horribly wrong!!:oops:

OK, we have been training for the Upland test.
So...here is the question;

Should I scratch running him in our clubs upland test this coming weekend?
(it is paid for)

Thanks,

stan b

Run him! You have already paid your money. The worst that can happen is that you NQ (or whatever they call it in your test).
You know that he can do the work.
Not hunt test stuff but I have been in the do I or do I not pick up the number situation. I will speak only to performance events.
I have been at the event with the dog and debated about picking up our number. Every hesitation resulted in someone else checking me in and not letting Magic and I leave the building. We went 7 for 7 (3 different titles)when I was ready to chicken out. We NQ'd 2 times that I picked up the number and then the next day when I wouldn't pick up we Q'd in first place.
Go for it!

Ken Bora
02-22-2011, 08:22 AM
1 run
2 thumpulate the gunners in your training group.

M&K's Retrievers
02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
thumpulate??

road kill
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
OK....long walk and romp last night with 20 whistle sits.

Long walk and romp this morning with 20 whistle sits.

We will continue this to reinforce the whistle sit and "saddle up" Saturday!!

Thank you for the advice and encouragement.
Everyone was pretty much on the same page.

stan b

Ken Bora
02-22-2011, 08:50 AM
thumpulate??
Also known as friend assisted mucus removal.
You know, when you slap the snot out of your buddy.:cool:

M&K's Retrievers
02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Also known as friend assisted mucus removal.
You know, when you slap the snot out of your buddy.:cool:

AAAAh! Got ya!

ducknwork
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
RK, I don't think Elvis needs to be scratched, but the shooters sure as hell do! If I was hunting with my buddies and we were shooting that badly, there's no way I would be pissed if Dixie caught a live bird and brought it back to me! Somebody in the group has got to reduce the bird to possession, might as well be Elvis!:D:D

road kill
02-24-2011, 09:14 AM
RK, I don't think Elvis needs to be scratched, but the shooters sure as hell do! If I was hunting with my buddies and we were shooting that badly, there's no way I would be pissed if Dixie caught a live bird and brought it back to me! Somebody in the group has got to reduce the bird to possession, might as well be Elvis!:D:D

OK, it's only Thursday.
I have taken Elvis out at 4:00 am and after work.
I made him sit to the whistle over 200 times already.

Tonight I will go over to WATKC and throw birds and shoot the shot gun while whistle sitting him.

I hope for at least 10 - 20 times of that.

He snaps to a sit now.

I think that is as good as I can do for now.

Any advice???

stan b

huntinman
02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Show up, Run, Hang on, Have Fun!

road kill
02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Show, Run, Hang on, Have Fun!

Yes, we have more balls than brains.

We are going for it!!!

That's just the way we roll!!!!

stan b & Elvis
:cool: :black:

Buzz
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM

We are going for it!!!

stan b & Elvis

When it stops making your rear end pucker, find something else to do!

huntinman
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

We are going for it!!!

stan b & Elvis

Those are the times you will always remember if you are unable to do it anymore. Like the time you described about all the misses and the bird Elvis caught! Think you could ever erase that from the old memory bank?? That's what it's all about...

ducknwork
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Those are the times you will always remember if you are unable to do it anymore. Like the time you described about all the misses and the bird Elvis caught! Think you could ever erase that from the old memory bank?? That's what it's all about...

Worth much more than a colorful piece of fabric IMO....:D

paul young
02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Stan, i would train for the flyaway......-Paul

BonMallari
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
OK, it's only Thursday.
I have taken Elvis out at 4:00 am and after work.
I made him sit to the whistle over 200 times already.

Tonight I will go over to WATKC and throw birds and shoot the shot gun while whistle sitting him.

I hope for at least 10 - 20 times of that.

He snaps to a sit now.

I think that is as good as I can do for now.

Any advice???

stan b

Ease up on the throttle and go do some blind work, or you may burn him up by getting him rolling so high..take Friday off, even Elvis needs a day off now and then...One Advil may cure a headache, a whole bottle may kill ya

road kill
02-25-2011, 08:51 AM
We are good to go!!!

I say we will get through 1 of these.
And if he doesn't break, I will be the happiest guy in the world.

Considering this dog got bounced in his first AKC JH test due to line manners.
(which was last May)
I ain't talkin' ribbon here, I am talking a testemant to how hard Elvis has worked to become steady!!

If anyone wants to see a grown man cry, be there when we kick this tests AZZ!!!

Team Elvis, let's roll!!
:cool::black:

There will be pictures!!

M&K's Retrievers
02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Stan, you will pass both. Have fun and good luck!

Don't keep us in suspense.

Hunchaser
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
It's too cold to do much training up here. The 4 adults have long walks on the property and chase wild rabbits. The dogs are about as wild as you can get and I'm looking forward to start training. Looks like I'll have to work on OB for a while.

The 2 Scottish pups love the snow and they get 2 long walks per day. They head for the rabbit trails and go nuts. Another month and they will be 4 mths old that's when I introduce them to the pack. Right now they are just the way I like them Strong, healthy and about as wild as you can get.

ducknwork
02-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Good luck Stan...knock em dead!

Better yet, tell the shooters to knock em dead this time!!:D

Ken Bora
02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Good Luck Team Elvis!!!
I'll be thinking of you in the morning as I am shoveling the fresh 12 inches we are getting. Sugar Snow, we call it.

dnf777
02-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Whether you get a ribbon or not, you're there.

And that makes you......the winner!

Good luck Stan and Elvis

road kill
02-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Let's rolll!!!!!

RK & Elvis

road kill
02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
He broke!! :(

RK

2tall
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh man, so sorry to hear. I completely feel your pain. Take a few deep breaths, go for a long fun hike with Elvis, then start again. Its all ya can do.
PS: I think this is why they do not allow live weapons at tests or trials:rolleyes:

M&K's Retrievers
02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
He broke!! :(

RK

Damn it! Morning or afternoon? On the honor of flush? You running tomorrow?

road kill
02-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Damn it! Morning or afternoon? On the honor of flush? You running tomorrow?

We did the walk up, steady, did retrieve, got mud on the judge from his rooster tail.;-)

Quartered real nice (though I think he was about 2' off the ground the whole time, I mena he was flyin'), got a nose full, lined to the bird from about 20 yards (I know you think that is an exageration) flushed, I whistled, he thought about it, I whistled again, he thought about it again, I yelled sit, he thought about it again.:(

Second bird was perfect.
Sat real nice.
Honoe was perfetct.
He is a load..........

We saddle up again tomorrow, I know he can do it.
(read below)

RK & Elvis

BonMallari
02-26-2011, 05:21 PM
it happens, Elvis is a young dog, a high rolling raw talent,he is always going to be on the edge, just like a NASCAR ride where "fast loose is a good thing"...take another shot tomorrow...doesnt sound like a chronic problem, at least you understand his tendencies and are willing to address them...Good luck tomorrow..

road kill
02-27-2011, 05:20 AM
OK, time to saddle up and try again.
I know he can do it.
I know there is greatness in this dog, and I am gonna get it out of him!!!!

Team Elvis

road kill
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
He did it!

RK

huntinman
02-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Way to go Elvis & Stan!

M&K's Retrievers
02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
That's great! Good job.

BonMallari
02-27-2011, 02:43 PM
He did it!

RK

Never doubted he would...:D:D

Maybe Elvis is a Sunday player and brings his A game like the pros do in the NASCAR, maybe he thinks Saturday is like happy hour and Sunday is Cup racing

paul young
02-27-2011, 04:08 PM
congratulations Stan!-Paul

starjack
02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Don't Give Up...... Don't Ever, Ever Give Up!!! Worked Did'ent It Congrats:)

road kill
02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Last May, we failed 2 AKC JH tests due to line manners.

We worked really hard on that.
In July he passed an AKC SH test.
Today he passed an HRC UH test.
The significance to me is this........

His manners failed 2 JH tests, requireing no steadiness.
Today he had a walk up, had to be steady and quiet at the line, then pick up bird-- 2 sit to flushes and shot, then retrieve the shot birds-- and an honor, while another dog picked up a walk up bird in front of him..
He was solid today.
I am proud of him.
He has come a very long way.

Not much in the overall scheme of things in the dog world, but pretty big to us going forward.

stan b

luvmylabs23139
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
He did it!

RK

CONGRATULATIONS!:D

M&K's Retrievers
02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
In addition to Stan and Elvis' Upland pass today, I just found out that David Gibson and Brady got their last Master Title pass last weekend in Texas. Great job all!

caryalsobrook
02-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Last May, we failed 2 AKC JH tests due to line manners.

We worked really hard on that.
In July he passed an AKC SH test.
Today he passed an HRC UH test.
The significance to me is this........

His manners failed 2 JH tests, requireing no steadiness.
Today he had a walk up, had to be steady and quiet at the line, then pick up bird-- 2 sit to flushes and shot, then retrieve the shot birds-- and an honor, while another dog picked up a walk up bird in front of him..
He was solid today.
I am proud of him.
He has come a very long way.

Not much in the overall scheme of things in the dog world, but pretty big to us going forward.

stan b

Congratulations! I would do well to get you to train me as my dogs tend to do better than I. I can feel that you are getting ready to have a great time training now! good Luck.

Julie R.
02-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Awesome!! Go Stan & Elvis :black:

Pretty impressive in my little world, especially being perfect the second day. I've had a couple that once they break or blow off a whistle under judgment and realize they got off scott free and didn't get their nappy butts paddled they inevitably get bolder the next day.

luvmylabs23139
03-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Another POTUS dog being a clown in training with entries this weekend.
So we were doing runthroughs last night for our RAE title. Everything is going well running an excellent course until the dumbell went up in the other ring.
The clown was sent over the broad jump from a sit (previous station) just as the dumbell goes up in the other ring. So MAgic is over the jump over first ring gate over second ring gate over the the jump in the other ring grabs dumbell back over other ring jump over ring gate one over ring gate 2 reverse jump over broad jump and sitting in front of me with dumbell in mouth in a matter of seconds.
The kid is such a clown!

Sue Kiefer
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Stan congrads!!!!!!!!
FYI: While according to the rulebook for Jr. (the dog can be gentley restrained)
No-one said that you couldn't go to the line(in those Jr tests) and require "Elvis' to be steady. Right?;-)
He doesn't know that it's a Jr. Sr. or a UKC event.
Just saying...........................:)
Sue

road kill
03-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Stan congrads!!!!!!!!
FYI: While according to the rulebook for Jr. (the dog can be gentley restrained)
No-one said that you couldn't go to the line(in those Jr tests) and require "Elvis' to be steady. Right?;-)
He doesn't know that it's a Jr. Sr. or a UKC event.
Just saying...........................:)
Sue

Me and Elvis don't do gentle!!!!;-)

RK

M&K's Retrievers
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Just heard from Gibson. His dog Brady qualified for the Master National last weekend. His 6 month old pup Shiner got 2 Junior passes.

I guess his additional training time away from POTUS is paying off. :D

road kill
03-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Me and Elvis are running 2 more upland tests this weekend.

Then, next weekend at Key City in IA.
(should be title time)

WE been workin' pretty hard on the sit to whistle.

I just hope he can find a bird!!!!:shock:

RK

BonMallari
03-11-2011, 05:07 PM

(should be title time)

RK

Elvis is taking his show on the road....now that's what I'm talking about...Go get em pal...keep us posted on the results

luvmylabs23139
03-11-2011, 05:19 PM

(should be title time)

RK

Good luck and have fun!

road kill
03-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Elvis is taking his show on the road....now that's what I'm talking about...Go get em pal...keep us posted on the results

Well Bon. I'll tell you.
We trained for 3 weeks for our first shot at this and went 1 fer 2.
Trained 2 more weeks comin' into this one.
I think we got a handle on this game and sorta figgered it out.

I think we got a shot.;-)

Just sayin'........

Good Luck to anyone else walkin' to the line this weekend!!

RK & Elvis

road kill
03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Good luck and have fun!

You can count on that, whereever me and Elvis go, a good time follows!!

I promise!!

RK & Elvis

M&K's Retrievers
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

(should be title time)

RK

Stan, are they just running one per day or one day with two tests? At any rate, go get em!!

caryalsobrook
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM

(should be title time)

RK

GO GET WET!!!:)

starjack
03-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Go Getem Stan

road kill
03-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Stan, are they just running one per day or one day with two tests? At any rate, go get em!!

2 each day.
We are only running 1 each day.

stan b

road kill
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
We passed!

RK & Elvis

BonMallari
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
We passed!

RK & Elvis

didnt expect anything else but that....Way To Go..sounds like Elvis has figured out what this game is that you play on Sat/Sun:D

road kill
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
didnt expect anything else but that....Way To Go..sounds like Elvis has figured out what this game is that you play on Sat/Sun:D

They claim they expect finished level steadiness. (???)
We trained for 3 weeks and have run 3 tests.
We passed 2 so far.

Says a lot about his focus and his desire to please.

We are starting to figure out how to work these games.

2 key things;

"Sit means Sit!!"

"GOOOOOD DAWG!!!!!!"

RK & Elvis

charly_t
03-12-2011, 02:42 PM
We passed!

RK & Elvis

Congrats to both of you !

luvmylabs23139
03-12-2011, 04:22 PM
We passed!

RK & Elvis

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great to see all of you guys hard work pay off.:p

huntinman
03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Stan, when Elvis sat, did you say...thank ya...thank ya very much...?

BonMallari
03-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Stan, when Elvis sat, did you say...thank ya...thank ya very much...?

or when you leave the trial grounds, do you think a voice comes over the PA and says " Elvis has left the building"...

might as well ask

does Elvis eat a peanut butter and banana sammich :p:p

John Paske
03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
OK, since we are the "Dark Side" of RTF......who dun what with their dawgs this weekend????

Me and Elvis executed a near perfect practice run on an Upland set up.

In fact, on the honor the bird landed about 5 to 8 yards in front of him, he did not break!!!:shock:

RK

Congrats. Glad you received a pass and thanks for coming out to our test today. Too bad it had to be so windy.

road kill
03-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Congrats. Glad you received a pass and thanks for coming out to our test today. Too bad it had to be so windy.

Your test was great!

Your workers all had smiles on their faces and were very welcoming.
(your club should be very proud of that)

We will be back today.

Diana's chukar stew was special!!;-)

Thanks,

stan b & Elvis

(BTW--it's Mr. Elvis, which is what his maid at Graceland called him)

starjack
03-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Good job stan. Now i have a little bragging to do. We ran the ron and ron tornament. It is a fund raising event for the outagamie county youth shooting and outdoor sports.There were 50 runs for the day 3/4 of the runs were flushers. I had the first run of the day and my score held up all day. So i took first place!!!!! To top it off my bride bought some raffle tickets and won a savage 243. It was a great day:):):)

caryalsobrook
03-13-2011, 07:26 AM
They claim they expect finished level steadiness. (???)
We trained for 3 weeks and have run 3 tests.
We passed 2 so far.

Says a lot about his focus and his desire to please.

We are starting to figure out how to work these games.

2 key things;

"Sit means Sit!!"

"GOOOOOD DAWG!!!!!!"

RK & Elvis

Can't wait to hear you got wet:)

road kill
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM
You win some, you lose some...........:shock:

RK

huntinman
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
That's what make the victories so sweet!

road kill
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
That's what make the victories so sweet!

He was high as a kite today.
He really pushed me.
I truly beleive I got the best I could out of him, but he was very loose very juiced.
Ran big, creeped a little on both flushes, jumped around on the walk up, pretty sticky on the bird (didn't want to give it up to those who don't know what "sticky" means).
Actually did real well on the honor.
In all honesty......he was not worthy of a pass today.

Just sayin'......

RK

road kill
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Good job stan. Now i have a little bragging to do. We ran the ron and ron tornament. It is a fund raising event for the outagamie county youth shooting and outdoor sports.There were 50 runs for the day 3/4 of the runs were flushers. I had the first run of the day and my score held up all day. So i took first place!!!!! To top it off my bride bought some raffle tickets and won a savage 243. It was a great day:):):)

Congrats Starjack!!

Good Dawg!!!!!!

Did you win any cash??

Buy that dog a gift, after all, he did the work!!!

stan b

M&K's Retrievers
03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
We passed!

RK & Elvis

He really pushed me.
I truly beleive I got the best I could out of him, but he was very loose very juiced.
Ran big, creeped a little on both flushes, jumped around on the walk up, pretty sticky on the bird (didn't want to give it up to those who don't know what "sticky" means).

Just sayin'......

RK

Congrats on the pass you're halfway there. You'll get that title next time.

starjack
03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Congrats Starjack!!

Good Dawg!!!!!!

Did you win any cash??

Buy that dog a gift, after all, he did the work!!!

stan b

No cash a dog food bowl and a plaque but there were some very good dogs there and it was a blast. BTW You just got to take the good with the bad and move on. You'll getem next time;-)

John Paske
03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Your test was great!

Your workers all had smiles on their faces and were very welcoming.
(your club should be very proud of that)

We will be back today.

Diana's chukar stew was special!!;-)

Thanks,

stan b & Elvis

(BTW--it's Mr. Elvis, which is what his maid at Graceland called him)

Well we are glad you enjoyed it. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I was Site Marshall across the road.

Ken Bora
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
He really pushed me.

Just sayin'......

RK
So Sorry Stan,
I had a dog I could never test two days in a row. In the NAHRA Field Tests I run dogs in we have two complete tests per weekend. I learned if I entered both days I would NEVER pass both. If I entered one day or the other I would pass every time. It was one of the many little idiosyncrasies this bitch had. She would get so self employed often I would pick her up well before the “friendly hand on the shoulder”. Once I realized this her qualifying % went to 100 and I finished her titles. You have run a few tests in a row. May be a similar issue. Just a thought.

BrianW
03-14-2011, 08:01 AM
So Sorry Stan,
I had a dog I could never test two days in a row. In the NAHRA Field Tests I run dogs in we have two complete tests per weekend. I learned if I entered both days I would NEVER pass both. If I entered one day or the other I would pass every time. It was one of the many little idiosyncrasies this bitch had. ... You have run a few tests in a row. May be a similar issue. Just a thought.
I guess that's one of the one of the things we learn about "read your dog"!
Rebel (new avatar dog) has a tendency to "quirk out" on Sat, then get the act together on Sun. Might be the adrenaline rush, travel, etc the 1st day and then with a sleep over, calm down? But if we ran only one day, might never get a pass.

Congrats to all on the successes this past weekend.

road kill
03-18-2011, 08:06 AM
OK!!!

Me & Elvis are loading up and heading to "Key City HRC."

Looking forward to a couple more attempts to get this thing done.

I promise you, Elvis will NOT LAY DOWN on a flush!!!:rolleyes:

Let's get-r-dunnnnnn!!!!!:D

Stan B & Elvis

M&K's Retrievers
03-19-2011, 11:53 AM
OK!!!

Me & Elvis are loading up and heading to "Key City HRC."

Looking forward to a couple more attempts to get this thing done.

I promise you, Elvis will NOT LAY DOWN on a flush!!!:rolleyes:

Let's get-r-dunnnnnn!!!!!:D

Stan B & Elvis

Well?? What happened?

road kill
03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Well?? What happened?

He had a running bird and hauled ass on it.

He broke.

RK

Buzz
03-19-2011, 07:10 PM
He had a running bird and hauled ass on it.

He broke.

RK

Curious. Are you allowed to blow a sit whistle on flush?

road kill
03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Curious. Are you allowed to blow a sit whistle on flush?
Yeah, he wasn't having it, he saw the bird running down the path and he was gone.
Bird is not supposed to run, was planted pretty poorly.

BUT----he should have sat on the whistle, not flip me off.

RK

M&K's Retrievers
03-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah, he wasn't having it, he saw the bird running down the path and he was gone.
Bird is not supposed to run, was planted pretty poorly.

BUT----he should have sat on the whistle, not flip me off.

RK

Were they using baskets or just spinning them?

road kill
03-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Were they using baskets or just spinning them?

Spinning, and arguing with me where the bird was, kicking the grass, I am telling them the bird is over here.
Where Elvis was getting birdy....NO, I planted it here (again, kicking grass).
Finally realized the bird wasn't there, was ever where Elvis was birdy when he saw it running down the path with Elvis in hot pursuit.

This after he flushed the first bird about 10' and it was walking in front of him as he sat to the flush.
Send him again, he flushes the same bird a second time but the gunners didn't shoot it so we gotta do a third flush.
The judge planted it and what I described happened.

Just not my day.

A very famous dog person talked to me about this on my way home, he called the Upland test an "Easter egg hunt for low drive dogs."

Not my words, someone elses who has been around and is nationally recognized.

Adament about me stopping doing this and start my handling and marks..
I must admit, it is not much fun right now.

Maybe it's just not our game..........

stan b

M&K's Retrievers
03-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Spinning, and arguing with me where the bird was, kicking the grass, I am telling them the bird is over here.
Finally realized the bird wasn't there, was ever where Elvis was birdy when he saw it running down the path with Elvis in hot pursuit.

This after he flushed the first bird about 10' and it was walking in front of him as he sat to the flush.
Send him again, he flushes the same bird a second time but the gunners didn't shoot it so we gotta do a third flush.

Just not my day.

A very famous dog person talked to me about this on my way home, he called the Upland test an "Easter egg hunt for low drive dogs."

stan b

??? Did he flush and sit to the first two birds? The bird does not have to be shot. He must find, flush and sit. That's it. If the gunners miss that's it provided the dog does not chase the flyer.

"Easter egg hunt for low drive dogs". Does that mean that hard chargers can't hunt upland? I don't buy that observation.

I do agree that extensive upland training and testing takes it toll on OB and honoring. Upland encourages their "self employed" attitude.

You will get them tomorrow.

road kill
03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
??? Did he flush and sit to the first two birds? The bird does not have to be shot. He must find, flush and sit. That's it. If the gunners miss that's it provided the dog does not chase the flyer.

"Easter egg hunt for low drive dogs". Does that mean that hard chargers can't hunt upland? I don't buy that observation.
Again, not my comment, but this is a struggle for us.
I do agree that extensive upland training and testing takes it toll on OB and honoring. Upland encourages their "self employed" attitude.

You will get them tomorrow.
He flushed the same bird TWICE and sat on both flushes.

First flush went 3 freakin' yards and just sat there.
I sent him to flush it a second time, gunners didn't shoot so they planted a second bird for a third flush.
No explanation was given.

stan b

M&K's Retrievers
03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
He flushed the same bird TWICE and sat on both flushes.

First flush went 3 freakin' yards and just sat there.
I sent him to flush it a second time, gunners didn't shoot so they planted a second bird for a third flush.
No explanation was given.

stan b

Hummm?? Pheasants? How many times did they spin them?

Hell, Stan, if the bird runs and will not fly what's the dog supposed to do? He's trying to make it flush but it wouldn't. Sounds to me like a bad day, not bad training or bad dog/handler work.

Get them tomorrow!

M&K's Retrievers
03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Did you run today?

road kill
03-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Did you run today?

We have been seeing Chukars.

Did not run today.
I am done with Upland for this year.

It is nolonger fun and it is not doing Elvis any good.

This is based on my GF's observation, my running partners observation and opinions from 4 pretty well known dog people whose opinions matter greatly to me.

We will now start training on marks and handling.
(Many of the marks will be longer than the entire Upland hunting test)

Next weekend I am putting out 15 pheasant for Elvis, he needs to run..............

stan b

Julie R.
03-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Sorry Stan...:mad: Logged on hoping for good news. But FWIW (and I've never seen upland, nor hunted any except at preserves) I agree, if you want to advance further in HTs it's probably a good idea to get him handling and working on your blinds right now; you can always come back to upland or stick to the real deal, hunting wild birds. I bet Elvis likes that better anyway.

road kill
03-21-2011, 06:41 AM

Just not my day.

stan b

To add to this;

This is just not a game Elvis and I can play well.

Hats off to those who can.

I hunt the crap out of Elvis on upland game (pheasants) and now am trying to break him of what I taught him.

It is a great game and good luck to those running it.
Me & Elvis just ain't good enough!!!:cool:

RK

JDogger
03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
To add to this;

This is just not a game Elvis and I can play well.

Hats off to those who can.

I hunt the crap out of Elvis on upland game (pheasants) and now am trying to break him of what I taught him.

RK

Sorry about a bad weekend rk. We all have 'em. You might want to re-read your sig line, though. Training, testing, is not about a pass, or a ribbon, or a title. It's a process you go through. First with one dog, then another, then another....it's not about how fast you get to the finish line.
The game is about how you choose to spend your time.
I don't completely agree with your friends assessmet of an "Easter egg hunt". It's not just about drive but control as well. Ask any dog or handler that has gone out on the last series of the Grand. JD

M&K's Retrievers
03-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Stan, the more I think about this deal, maybe you and Elvis were training too hard for these tests. When we get ready to run an Upland test, we practice for a couple of days prior to the test. Three 2 bird runs per dog per day. I've heard from a few trainers that run the Grand only do a little brush up prior to the test. Just a thought. Don't give up.

Buzz
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM

RK

That's bull.

Hunt him hard on pheasant next season. Hold your standards high out in the field, consistently. Then give it another shot. You might be surprised. You cannot rush breaking those bad habits he's learned. It won't be good for you, and it won't be good for Elvis if you try.

PS: If after the first couple of weeks hunting in South Dakota, if ya got a dog that won't chase a runner, you aren't getting any birds. I didn't understand you getting penalized for going after a runner. What kind of upland hunting you guys training for, obviously not real hunting.

M&K's Retrievers
03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
That's bull. I AGREE!

PS: If after the first couple of weeks hunting in South Dakota, if ya got a dog that won't chase a runner, you aren't getting any birds. I didn't understand you getting penalized for going after a runner. What kind of upland hunting you guys training for, obviously not real hunting.

I said the same thing earlier. That's what they are supposed to do.

road kill
03-23-2011, 05:22 AM
That's bull.

Hunt him hard on pheasant next season. Hold your standards high out in the field, consistently. Then give it another shot. You might be surprised. You cannot rush breaking those bad habits he's learned. It won't be good for you, and it won't be good for Elvis if you try.

When he was first starting to hunt pheasants I taught him to run down runners.
I was always taught that was a way to teach him to track.
He IS quite good at it.

However, as a gunner in 2 Uplands, I have seen dogs LAY DOWN on the flush and PASS!!

I have seen dogs that had to be BEGGED to flush the bird and pass.
(not all the Upland dogs do that, some were excellent)

Elvis don't LAY DOWN, and there ain't no begging him to get after it.;-)
Congrats to those fine dogs that ran this test well, not in our wheelhouse yet.

Like I said, we have 2 passes, we will get the title next year.

WE are on to marks and handling.

RK

BonMallari
03-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Stan: Elvis is tailor made to run FT's you know it and he knows it

you can either change the game you choose to play or you can choose to train a different way

Please do not take this as a slam or slight on the HT game, but they are two different games

dnf777
03-26-2011, 06:20 PM
When he was first starting to hunt pheasants I taught him to run down runners.
I was always taught that was a way to teach him to track.
He IS quite good at it.

However, as a gunner in 2 Uplands, I have seen dogs LAY DOWN on the flush and PASS!!

I have seen dogs that had to be BEGGED to flush the bird and pass.
(not all the Upland dogs do that, some were excellent)

Elvis don't LAY DOWN, and there ain't no begging him to get after it.;-)
Congrats to those fine dogs that ran this test well, not in our wheelhouse yet.

Like I said, we have 2 passes, we will get the title next year.

WE are on to marks and handling.

RK
"I'll give you that you are consistent.

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the propensity for the over use of personal pro-nouns.

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................"

road kill
03-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the propensity for the over use of personal pro-nouns.

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................"

Where it doesn't fit is that we have walked to the line, unlike some posters here on POTUS.
Nothing here was concocted, unlike some posters here on POTUS that make things up.

Noone was personally insulted here, well until your post.
(in fact posters from both sides of the political spectrum were offering support & advice)

But I am flattered that you strive to emulate my excellence.

Pretty good choice for a role model, now scoot along to something you know about, let the folks that RUN DOGS talk amongst themselves.

Oh, and don't let your hubrus and anger get the best of you!!:D

RK:D

dnf777
03-26-2011, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=road kill;775201]Where it doesn't fit is that we have walked to the line, unlike some posters here on POTUS.
Nothing here was concocted, unlike some posters here on POTUS that make things up.

Noone was personally insulted here, well until your post.

But I am flattered that you strive to emulate my excellence.

Pretty good choice for a role model, now scoot along to something you know about, let the folks that RUN DOGS talk amongst themselves.

Oh, and don't let your huibrus and anger get the best of you!!:D

Oh Stan, you're so predictable.
When you get slam dunked at your own game, you just HAVE to up the ante, and start attacking dogs and dog activities.

Unlike you, I don't feel the need to start an entire thread dedicated to ME and MY dog, and our weekly exploits.

Don't start this crap.

It is very low class to start down that road. You may be up to the task, but at least let us think that everyone here, even you, are above that behavior. Don't try to impress everyone by taking this room to even newer, lower depths.

road kill
03-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh Stan, you're so predictable.
When you get slam dunked at your own game, you just HAVE to up the ante, and start attacking dogs and dog activities.

Unlike you, I don't feel the need to start an entire thread dedicated to ME and MY dog, and our weekly exploits.

Don't start this crap.

It is very low class to start down that road. You may be up to the task, but at least let us think that everyone here, even you, are above that behavior. Don't try to impress everyone by taking this room to even newer, lower depths.

Any time you get exposed or lose an argument it's because it's been taken to lower depths than were you had it??

Do you even read the stuff you post?

I know, why don't you read the "letters of encouragement" you have recieved.

And let those who run dogs talk about such matters.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

RK

M&K's Retrievers
03-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Don't try to impress everyone by taking this room to even newer, lower depths.

You have already done this on numerous occasions.Just think what you could do if you really tried.

Now run along regards,

dnf777
03-26-2011, 08:32 PM
You have already done this on numerous occasions.Just think what you could do if you really tried.

Now run along regards,

Not going to try. Why would anyone WANT to do that?

Ask Stan. I'm sure he knows.

Ken Bora
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I know you are but what am I?
Gosh Dave,
On occasion, every so often……..
I get weary of your sandbox sniping.
What the heck man? Why take a however many day old
Post about the struggle of Elvis and poop on it with the red “I”’s?
Now Stan is a big boy and I am not even going to bother defending him in any way.

I just post the question, why? Did it contribute something useful to our fun potus gathering?

Honestly Man, I just get weary

dnf777
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I just post the question, why? Did it contribute something useful to our fun potus gathering?[/FONT]

.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I didn't word it properly, but my intent was to implore him NOT to START sniping others dog activities. I meant nothing at all in regards to his and Elvis' performance. I haven't run HT for 10 years due to my day job and its requirements, and admire those who have the time to do so. For my current stage in my career, I am happy to sneak out into the back 40 after work during grouse, and hit the river for ducks when time permits.

The last thing we need is to start sniping each other's retriever activities. Especially on the main forum. I was asking that he not go there anymore with that intent. If that behavior can be called out and nipped in the bud, then I think it did contribute something useful.

M&K's Retrievers
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Gosh Dave,
On occasion, every so often……..
I get weary of your sandbox sniping.
What the heck man? Why take a however many day old
Post about the struggle of Elvis and poop on it with the red “I”’s?
Now Stan is a big boy and I am not even going to bother defending him in any way.

I just post the question, why? Did it contribute something useful to our fun potus gathering?

Honestly Man, I just get weary

Well said, Ken!

On my way to get Blue Bell regards,

huntinman
03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
QUOTE DNF777 [/U][FONT=Georgia]./FONT][/QUOTE]Maybe I didn't word it properly, but my intent was to implore him NOT to START sniping others dog activities. I meant nothing at all in regards to his and Elvis' performance. I haven't run HT for 10 years due to my day job and its requirements, and admire those who have the time to do so. For my current stage in my career, I am happy to sneak out into the back 40 after work during grouse, and hit the river for ducks when time permits.

The last thing we need is to start sniping each other's retriever activities. Especially on the main forum. I was asking that he not go there anymore with that intent. If that behavior can be called out and nipped in the bud, then I think it did contribute something useful.[/QUOTE]

What in the HELL are you talking about? I don't recall any sniping...

In case you forgot, this is the Retriever Training Forum... you know where people exchange ideas and problems associated with training, trialing and hunting retrievers? One would think that one with close to 6,000 posts on this forum would be open to discussions regarding dogs... maybe not.

M&K's Retrievers
03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I just post the question, why? Did it contribute something useful to our fun potus gathering?[/FONT]

Maybe I didn't word it properly, but my intent was to implore him NOT to START sniping others dog activities. I meant nothing at all in regards to his and Elvis' performance. I haven't run HT for 10 years due to my day job and its requirements, and admire those who have the time to do so. For my current stage in my career, I am happy to sneak out into the back 40 after work during grouse, and hit the river for ducks when time permits.

The last thing we need is to start sniping each other's retriever activities. Especially on the main forum. I was asking that he not go there anymore with that intent. If that behavior can be called out and nipped in the bud, then I think it did contribute something useful.

By golly, Stan, your right.

Desi Arnes (I, I, I) regards,

road kill
03-27-2011, 06:39 AM
[/U][FONT=Georgia]./FONT]Maybe I didn't word it properly, but my intent was to implore him NOT to START sniping others dog activities. I meant nothing at all in regards to his and Elvis' performance. I haven't run HT for 10 years due to my day job and its requirements, and admire those who have the time to do so. For my current stage in my career, I am happy to sneak out into the back 40 after work during grouse, and hit the river for ducks when time permits.

What in the HELL are you talking about? I don't recall any sniping...

In case you forgot, this is the Retriever Training Forum... you know where people exchange ideas and problems associated with training, trialing and hunting retrievers? One would think that one with close to 6,000 posts on this forum would be open to discussions regarding dogs... maybe not.

There was no sniping, the comment about one not having the "kahones" to walk to the line is a reference to a post insulting someone else for their lack of dog activities.
That is known, and this is a diversion from that.

My standard reply is well understood by everyone who freqeunts POTUS.

It is so deadly accurate it is comical.
Amazingly, the responses it ilicits are exactly what the post implys.

So, I am not doing the greatest job as a trainer......and one who has not got the "kohones to walk to the line" points it out.....as a personal insult.

See what I am sayin'?????

BTW--It's clear Elvis could use a better trainer (as so aptly pointed out by DG & dnf), so I used this resource for advice, insights and opinions, thanks to all that helped.

To dnf;

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................":D

stan b

Ken Bora
03-27-2011, 07:36 AM
On my way to get Blue Bell regards,

Blue Bell?

Oh,

Don’t be feeling cocky Stan.
For every yin, is yang.

Like the television add, I forget the product. Two kids in the back seat of the car. One with his finger an inch from the other and exclaiming loudly “I’m not touching you!”

You and Dave are on some bicker bender. My Grandfather would say “Put the both of you in a feed bag and shake you up, and nether of you would come out on top.”

Peace.

dnf777
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
If you promise some maple syrup in that bag......I'm in.

Ken Bora
03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Dude!
Now I have the mental image of you and Stan in a feed bag together, covered with Maple Syrup!!!
Don’t you realize how my mind works?
I am already scared for life because of You and Gibson and the hamster explanation.

It’s gonna have to be bigger than the normal 100lbs bag to hold the both of you, isn’t it?

M&K's Retrievers
03-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Blue Bell?

Oh,

Don’t be feeling cocky Stan.
For every yin, is yang.

Like the television add, I forget the product. Two kids in the back seat of the car. One with his finger an inch from the other and exclaiming loudly “I’m not touching you!”

You and Dave are on some bicker bender. My Grandfather would say “Put the both of you in a feed bag and shake you up, and nether of you would come out on top.”

Peace.

Ice Cream. :D

road kill
03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
:rolleyes:
Dude!
Now I have the mental image of you and Stan in a feed bag together, covered with Maple Syrup!!!
Don’t you realize how my mind works?
I am already scared for life because of You and Gibson and the hamster explanation.

It’s gonna have to be bigger than the normal 100lbs bag to hold the both of you, isn’t it?

Pretty sure dnf would be in that bag alone.
Just sayin'.........

I have a dog question, guess I can't ask here anymore.......:rolleyes:

stan b

road kill
03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Awww, wth, I'll ask it anyways.

Been running lots of marks now that the snow is gone.
Also lots of sight blinds and today even some long cold blinds.

LOTS of running.
He seems a little more relaxed (or tired) but behaving a bit better.

Could the long crappy winter keeping us cooped up increase his anxiety as well?

I mean it seems obvious, but you guys have had far more experience.

Now that I think about it......pretty dumb question.:rolleyes:

Oh well........maybe youse guys could elaborate what you do to shake off the rust and get those paws to pumpin' again?

stan b

starjack
03-27-2011, 01:23 PM

LOTS of running.

Oh well........maybe youse guys could elaborate what you do to shake off the rust and get those paws to pumpin' again?

stan b

That is a good question . I have been running alot of run and gun events latley and just starting to get into the serious training. But as mother nature would have it hard to do with afoot of snow on the ground. I feel your right sight blinds and mark to get them rolling.

BonMallari
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM

LOTS of running.

stan b

after a long layoff, think simple, think about getting the dog's attention..one of the most over looked areas is basic obedience...since I generally throw my own marks, I will find out right away if the dog wants to creep, but it also shows the dog a retired gun and makes him think about the mark while I return to the line..

on the sight blind I will take the time to walk the dog all the way out, say 250 yds, set the blind, and then only walk the dog 50 yds back and make the dog sit facing the line. I will calmly walk back to the line which will make the dog think about nothing but the blind..call the dog in, throw a simple diversion mark off the line, pull him off the mark and run the blind..

Do not repeat marks, repeat the concept

road kill
03-27-2011, 02:37 PM
after a long layoff, think simple, think about getting the dog's attention..one of the most over looked areas is basic obedience...since I generally throw my own marks, I will find out right away if the dog wants to creep, but it also shows the dog a retired gun and makes him think about the mark while I return to the line..

on the sight blind I will take the time to walk the dog all the way out, say 250 yds, set the blind, and then only walk the dog 50 yds back and make the dog sit facing the line. I will calmly walk back to the line which will make the dog think about nothing but the blind..call the dog in, throw a simple diversion mark off the line, pull him off the mark and run the blind..Do not repeat marks, repeat the concept

I like that idea.
We will try that tomorrow.

Thanks,

stan b

duk4me
03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
In the beginning there was RTF, a retriever training forum. As the forum evolved it was apparant that other topics were needed.

Along came: A: Events
B:Judges
C:Products
D:Somewhere along the way GDG
E:Potus Place
a:marchmadness
b:potus dawgs (actually some funny foreign dawg)

I just can't remember what was GDG for since we now have POTUS?:p:p

road kill
03-27-2011, 03:09 PM
In the beginning there was RTF, a retriever training forum. As the forum evolved it was apparant that other topics were needed.

Along came: A: Events
B:Judges
C:Products
D:Somewhere along the way GDG
E:Potus Place
a:marchmadness
b:potus dawgs (actually some funny foreign dawg)

I just can't remember what was GDG for since we now have POTUS?:p:p

I don't quite get the point?

You don't like us talking about dog stuff??

Just askin'.........

RK

duk4me
03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't quite get the point?

You don't like us talking about dog stuff??

Just askin'.........

RK

Nah, just jackin with you.

road kill
03-28-2011, 01:29 PM

Sometimes it's hard to discern between good natured "jackin'" and flat out mean diatribe.

Anyway, I gits lots to learn especially with this animal.

Just pickin' some brains for knowledge.
Actually got some pretty solid ideas.
And some real good support on our efforts.
(and some e-mailed insults:rolleyes:)
It is surprising, I was stunned to find out I wasn't the only guy to ever fail a test.

But we will keep on tryin' just gonna take Elvis longer cause of me!!!

stan b

road kill
03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Tried to respond to your pm, your box is full.

Everything is kool, you can jack with me.:cool:

Thanks,

stan b

dnf777
03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Tried to respond to your pm, your box is full.

Everything is kool, you can jack with me.:cool:

Thanks,

stan b

No Stan, its not full. I've just quit reading, and instead, post a reply stating so. The message you read was typed and saved by ME, for all future PMs you may feel the need to send.

You have made several of those little threads saying, "poor me, I give up", yet you persist in bringing up my name in unrelated threads, and sending me PMs. I have respect for Marvin and MK at least when they said they were going to ignore me, and me them, we stuck to it for the most part, and everyone has been better for it.

You continuously make those claims, but can't resist stirring the pot.

So I ask for the last time....

PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE. DON'T SEND PMS ANYMORE.

Can I be any more clear???

ARE WE CLEAR??

dnf777
03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Good.
Everything I said is still in effect.

Even More so.

caryalsobrook
03-28-2011, 02:56 PM
For the first time I read all the posts on this thread. Started to send you a PM but decided to post. I'm curious to hear if anyone can beat this story for stupidity.
Go to first HRC Seasoned hunt test. Find out I have been training AKC style with primers at launchers and now I have to sit on bucket and shoot gun. Turn is over 180 degrees. You can imagine the rest. Go home have crash course with gun and a friend who is pro trainer. Tells me to drop gun when swinging right to left but dont touch dog. It works and off we go next weekend for second try at seasoned. Water 1st and marks and blind perfect. Next land.Walk up bird perfect then 2 whistle blind now for double with diversion. Right to left swing and I drop gun to help her swing left AND I HIT MY GIRL!! dejection, I have caused her to fail but kick her off for go bird. Back she comes and I take the bird and don't even look at her or the memory bird, just call her name and off she goes(very fast and quick dog) turn my back shoulders slumped in dejection and all of a sudden judge says I have to shoot the diversion. I know she is coming back fast and I grab gun load and fire. I don't see the diversion bird nor her. Put the gun back on stand and walk away again in dejection. Judge Says YOU NEED TO HANDLE YOUR DOG. Look out in field and she is sitting there looking at me as if to say what in the hell is going on(by the way a friend of mine said they almost hit her with the diversion bird). I whistle her in and take the memory bird(I know that because the judges didn't say anything) but I have no idea where the diversion bird is. Thankfully Zadie did and she picked it up and PASSED! One judge looked at me and said "Don't get that gun so close to your dog, it can cause her to go deaf. As I walked away the other judge came up to me and said " YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN" I thought "are you kidding, I am a basket case" She had done so well they passed her in spite of me. a friend of mine said he had never seen anything like it.

I don't know if anyone can beat this story but if they can I'd like to hear it. Never run nor seen upland, having enough trouble with hunt test. Girls 22 months old now and got their seasoned titiles last fall. Think they will be ready for finished in My but have my doubts if I will be ready. I do know one thing. They can't survive a performance like I gave their mother.

again can anyone beat this story?:)

Ken Bora
03-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Dave,
Are you trippin'? I think Stan was talkin' with Tim.
Tim the Jacker and Stan the Jackie.....
did you hurt yourself in the grain bag?

road kill
03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
For the first time I read all the posts on this thread. Started to send you a PM but decided to post. I'm curious to hear if anyone can beat this story for stupidity.
Go to first HRC Seasoned hunt test. Find out I have been training AKC style with primers at launchers and now I have to sit on bucket and shoot gun. Turn is over 180 degrees. You can imagine the rest. Go home have crash course with gun and a friend who is pro trainer. Tells me to drop gun when swinging right to left but dont touch dog. It works and off we go next weekend for second try at seasoned. Water 1st and marks and blind perfect. Next land.Walk up bird perfect then 2 whistle blind now for double with diversion. Right to left swing and I drop gun to help her swing left AND I HIT MY GIRL!! dejection, I have caused her to fail but kick her off for go bird. Back she comes and I take the bird and don't even look at her or the memory bird, just call her name and off she goes(very fast and quick dog) turn my back shoulders slumped in dejection and all of a sudden judge says I have to shoot the diversion. I know she is coming back fast and I grab gun load and fire. I don't see the diversion bird nor her. Put the gun back on stand and walk away again in dejection. Judge Says YOU NEED TO HANDLE YOUR DOG. Look out in field and she is sitting there looking at me as if to say what in the hell is going on(by the way a friend of mine said they almost hit her with the diversion bird). I whistle her in and take the memory bird(I know that because the judges didn't say anything) but I have no idea where the diversion bird is. Thankfully Zadie did and she picked it up and PASSED! One judge looked at me and said "Don't get that gun so close to your dog, it can cause her to go deaf. As I walked away the other judge came up to me and said " YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN" I thought "are you kidding, I am a basket case" She had done so well they passed her in spite of me. a friend of mine said he had never seen anything like it.

I don't know if anyone can beat this story but if they can I'd like to hear it. Never run nor seen upland, having enough trouble with hunt test. Girls 22 months old now and got their seasoned titiles last fall. Think they will be ready for finished in My but have my doubts if I will be ready. I do know one thing. They can't survive a performance like I gave their mother.

again can anyone beat this story?:)

Cary,
Beleive it or not, we did the same exact thing.
Always had a gun at the bird launch.
I knew Elvis didn't see the go bird, so I lined him up and sent him on a "back!"
He got to the AOF and his nose bailed us out.
The judges knew, but I didn't handle him, it looked like a mark.
But again, the dog had no idea.

Hilarious, but embarrassing.

Now we train with and without a gun at the bird.

stan b

duk4me
03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Dave,

Whoa hoss I ain't Stans Jacker.!? I like jacking with him but to call me a Jacker? Over the line Ken.:p:p:p

Now I don't know it the good Dr has been in his little black bag but thats another story.

road kill
03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Whoa hoss I ain't Stans Jacker.!? I like jacking with him but to call me a Jacker? Over the line Ken.:p:p:p

Now I don't know it the good Dr has been in his little black bag but thats another story.

Maybe you, me and Ken could sit down with a bottle of Jack and figger this all out!!??!!??:cool:

RK

dnf777
03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Dave,

Ken,
you wouldn't believe it, so I won't bother!

Time to let go. I hope all agree. ;)

duk4me
03-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Ken,
you wouldn't believe it, so I won't bother!

Time to let go. I hope all agree. ;)

AS my wife says "Time to let it go? H$ll no. If I won't believe it I want to hear it anyway" So lets hear it.

starjack
03-28-2011, 05:18 PM
:confused:Ok now i thought hrc was upland test what this sitting on pails? What about quartering what about sitting to flush? I thought they shoot a flushed pheasant. Please explain. I went to you tube look like akc hunt test only handler had the gun

caryalsobrook
03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
:confused:Ok now i thought hrc was upland test what this sitting on pails? What about quartering what about sitting to flush? I thought they shoot a flushed pheasant. Please explain. I went to you tube look like akc hunt test only handler had the gun

HRC has hunt test similar to AKC but with a few differences. Ther try to simulate real hunting situations. there is no shot in the field. For marks you sit on a bucket with the dog sitting by your side. You also have a shotgun and use blanks as there is no shot in the field.There are no flyers and deadbirds are launched in the field with no sound. You aim and fie at the thrown duck when at the top of the arc. the dog is supposed to turn in the direction that you shoot. I might add that gun safety is a big thing. Poison birds, diversions, walk ups ect are also in HRC as in AKc hun tests.Only slight differences but can really be a downer unless you have trained for the differences. Probably easier for a dog to go from HRC hunt tests to AKC huntests since there is sound at the launchers in AKC. AKC tougher at line than HRC. You can talk quietly to your dog after test has started while you can't in AKC. Strangely, I never have even seen an upland test. Will someday but all my hunting is duck hunting. Have never hunted pheasent. If you have never run HRC and want some fun, take 2 launchers and set one 90 degrees to the right and a 2nd 90 degrees to the left, then sit on a bucket with a shotgun and your dog sitting at your side. Line dog at memory bird throw it and shoot with blank in shotgun at the top of the bird arch, count to 4 all the time swinging to the left 180 degrees hoping your dog also moves and looks to the left, bird is thrown and you shoot it at top of arc. Now you know a double in HRC:)

starjack
03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
HRC has hunt test similar to AKC but with a few differences. Ther try to simulate real hunting situations. there is no shot in the field. For marks you sit on a bucket with the dog sitting by your side. You also have a shotgun and use blanks as there is no shot in the field.There are no flyers and deadbirds are launched in the field with no sound. You aim and fie at the thrown duck when at the top of the arc. the dog is supposed to turn in the direction that you shoot. I might add that gun safety is a big thing. Poison birds, diversions, walk ups ect are also in HRC as in AKc hun tests.Only slight differences but can really be a downer unless you have trained for the differences. Probably easier for a dog to go from HRC hunt tests to AKC huntests since there is sound at the launchers in AKC. AKC tougher at line than HRC. You can talk quietly to your dog after test has started while you can't in AKC. Strangely, I never have even seen an upland test. Will someday but all my hunting is duck hunting. Have never hunted pheasent. If you have never run HRC and want some fun, take 2 launchers and set one 90 degrees to the right and a 2nd 90 degrees to the left, then sit on a bucket with a shotgun and your dog sitting at your side. Line dog at memory bird throw it and shoot with blank in shotgun at the top of the bird arch, count to 4 all the time swinging to the left 180 degrees hoping your dog also moves and looks to the left, bird is thrown and you shoot it at top of arc. Now you know a double in HRC:)

Thanks jake

road kill
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Should we restart this, or is this to egomaniacle???

stan b

M&K's Retrievers
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Should we restart this, or is this to egomaniacle???

stan b

Not at all. I spend the weekend with my dogs tied to anvils trying to keep them from blowing away. Man, it's been windy!! And throw in a few tornadoes to boot.

road kill
04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
I was in a gun station Sat.
Lady was yelling at us because the shot flier didn't land where it was supposed to!!:shock:

About 2:00pm it turned into a snow blizzard!!!
Event was at the "Bong Recreation Center!!":D

RK

duckheads
04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Went 1 for 2 this weekend in finished. She was doing great on sat. All we needed to do was pick up the last bird, a blind. 3 cast refusals later and thank you for your donation. I did have a DAH moment which is why she probably blew me off. I could not be more pleased with her work this weekend without getting the pass on sat.

road kill
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Went 1 for 2 this weekend in finished. She was doing great on sat. All we needed to do was pick up the last bird, a blind. 3 cast refusals later and thank you for your donation. I did have a DAH moment which is why she probably blew me off. I could not be more pleased with her work this weekend without getting the pass on sat.

That is pretty kool!
Sometimes you get a positive takeaway, even if the results aren't in a ribbon!!

GOOD DAWG!!!!!!

Team Elvis

BonMallari
04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
!
Event was at the "Bong Recreation Center!!":D

RK

Trivia about Bong RC...

What do National Amateur Champions

NAFC FC Guy's Bitteroot Lucky

2XNAFC FC Dee's Dandy Dude

NAFC FC Dude's Double or Nothing

all have in common....Lucky is the grandsire to Doc (dam's side) Dude was the sire of Doc and all 3 won their National at Bong

Bong will always have a special place in our family's heart, Clint ran his first National Amateur with Judge (age 25 months) in '73 ..they went 4 series

road kill
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Trivia about Bong RC...

What do National Amateur Champions

NAFC FC Guy's Bitteroot Lucky

2XNAFC FC Dee's Dandy Dude

NAFC FC Dude's Double or Nothing

all have in common....Lucky is the grandsire to Doc (dam's side) Dude was the sire of Doc and all 3 won their National at Bong

Bong will always have a special place in our family's heart, Clint ran his first National Amateur with Judge (age 25 months) in '73 ..they went 4 series

I can't wait till we meet.
I would love to sit around, have a beer (pull off the JD flask here) and talk dogs.
Truly my favorite part of the whole deal.
After our weekend traing we always sit around and BS, in your case I would just love to here the great stories of some of the great dogs you have seen.

I bet you saw Elvis' Grampa!!!;-)

stan b

BonMallari
04-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I can't wait till we meet.
I would love to sit around, have a beer (pull off the JD flask here) and talk dogs.
Truly my favorite part of the whole deal.
After our weekend traing we always sit around and BS, in your case I would just love to here the great stories of some of the great dogs you have seen.

I bet you saw Elvis' Grampa!!!;-)

stan b

Tell me who his sire/dam is and I will check the pedigree and let you know..the 73 National at Bong had by my count 23 future Hall of Famers, including my family friends Lanse (Finalist with Mariah), Cactus Pryor w/ AFC Ol Yeller, and WD Connor w/NFC AFC Royal Moose's Moe

I have been very lucky thanks to my brother, to have seen some great dogs and met some really good people along the way

road kill
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Tell me who his sire/dam is and I will check the pedigree and let you know..the 73 National at Bong had by my count 23 future Hall of Famers, including my family friends Lanse (Finalist with Mariah), Cactus Pryor w/ AFC Ol Yeller, and WD Connor w/NFC AFC Royal Moose's Moe

I have been very lucky thanks to my brother, to have seen some great dogs and met some really good people along the way

Sire=Field of Dreams I'm a Winner
Dam=Gotta Have Faith II

There might be some Lean Mac in there.;-)
(maybe on both sides)

Did you ever see him?

stan b

BonMallari
04-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Sire=Field of Dreams I'm a Winner
Dam=Gotta Have Faith II

There might be some Lean Mac in there.;-)
(maybe on both sides)

Did you ever see him?

stan b

On the sires side I saw Elvis' great great grandsire NAFC FC Trumarc's Zip Code run many a trial in Texas....now that I look at Elvis's bloodline the reason he is a pinpoint marker is that he comes from his great grandsire FC AFC Webshires Honest Abe

no Lean Mac on the sires side, could not find any info on the dam's side

road kill
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Who is doin' what this next couple weeks?

Me and Elvis will be running a SH test at WATKC, April 30th.
(hopefully the ice is gone by then, skim ice this morning)

Look forward to seeing you there.

Youse guys???

stan b

mjh345
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I'll be running in the SRS Duck Dog Classic in College Station Texas starting one week from today; assuming I can get Paypal account working

Buzz
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Thought I'd post up (brag) about a couple of POTUS dawgs.

In the open at Lincoln last weekend:

3rd - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker - Raven, Dave Bezesky Handler - Steve Blythe
4th - Rainwaters FT.Benning Soldier - Major, John Hoggatt Handler - Bart Peterson

I heard that the 4th series was pretty much undoable. :D

Wish I had a better picture of Raven for the avatar...

Congrats John!

BonMallari
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
training in Idaho the next 4 days, looking to run the amateur stake at N. Utah next week with Brig and Nola...just proves that even the third stringer gets a chance to come off the bench and play a game every now and then:cool:;-)

BrianW
05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
My buddy, Magnum, earned his 1st Finished pass at the North East WA Gun Dog Club on Sunday. :)

But what I'm really proud of, is that my wife, Linda, had the "cojones" ;-) to step to the line in Finished as well with Rebel , despite her ongoing problems from a car accident last Nov. They didn't pass but she had fun on Mom's Day and we learned some things to help deal with her disability in future tests. :cool:
We'll work those rt "backs" & "overs" out somehow. ;-)

Mucho thanks to our Judges, Johnny Barlow & Burt Sweet, for their patience , understanding & helpfulness and to the Club and all attendees for for your support.
Y'all are definitely a class act!!

road kill
05-09-2011, 07:57 AM
My buddy, Magnum, earned his 1st Finished pass at the North East WA Gun Dog Club on Sunday. :)

But what I'm really proud of, is that my wife, Linda, had the "cojones" ;-) to step to the line in Finished as well with Rebel , despite her ongoing problems from a car accident last Nov. They didn't pass but she had fun on Mom's Day and we learned some things to help deal with her disability in future tests. :cool:

Mucho thanks to our Judges, Johnny Barlow & Burt Sweet, for their patience , understanding & helpfulness and to the Club and all attendees for for your support.

Congrats, a hearty GOOD DAWG!!!!:D

RK

caryalsobrook
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Sounds like you could not have asked for a more successful test day. Couldn't be happier for the both of you.:)

Ken Bora
05-09-2011, 08:43 AM
had a test situation first for me.
worked my clubs NAHRA Field Test this weekend and was assigned to be stake marshal for the combined started/hunter and bring test dogs.
Yesterday, setting up the water marks I was in my canoe throwing, tweaking a mark for the judges. One of our great helpful workers, a 20something feller named Jeremy called out to me in the canoe "Judges want to see a dog pick that one up, can I run Ice?" I said "Sure he will work for anyone." I have never trained with Jeremy and Ice had only sniffed him while being test dog for other marks, and the day before the same. Jeremy went to my truck and got the lead and got Ice and came to line in control and ran him with me shooting and throwing from my canoe. It was Jeremy's first time running a retriever. Ice was perfect. Gave me an odd look as he grabbed the bird and then brought it straight back to Jeremy, who was (lot of Chessie joking that day) afraid to take the bird from him. So he heeled him up to one of the judges and Robin, who is not afraid of Chessies at all, took the bird.
I was very proud of both of them, Ice and Jeremy.
One of the handlers said my Chessies run just like labs! I realized he was attempting a compliment so didn't thumpulate him.

luvmylabs23139
05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
training in Idaho the next 4 days, looking to run the amateur stake at N. Utah next week with Brig and Nola...just proves that even the third stringer gets a chance to come off the bench and play a game every now and then:cool:;-)

Good luck, have fun, and relax!!

luvmylabs23139
05-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Congrats on the pass and I'm glad your wife and Rebel had a fun mother's day!

luvmylabs23139
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
worked my clubs NAHRA Field Test this weekend and was assigned to be stake marshal for the combined started/hunter and bring test dogs.
Yesterday, setting up the water marks I was in my canoe throwing, tweaking a mark for the judges. One of our great helpful workers, a 20something feller named Jeremy called out to me in the canoe "Judges want to see a dog pick that one up, can I run Ice?" I said "Sure he will work for anyone." I have never trained with Jeremy and Ice had only sniffed him while being test dog for other marks, and the day before the same. Jeremy went to my truck and got the lead and got Ice and came to line in control and ran him with me shooting and throwing from my canoe. It was Jeremy's first time running a retriever. Ice was perfect. Gave me an odd look as he grabbed the bird and then brought it straight back to Jeremy, who was (lot of Chessie joking that day) afraid to take the bird from him. So he heeled him up to one of the judges and Robin, who is not afraid of Chessies at all, took the bird.
One of the handlers said my Chessies run just like labs! I realized he was attempting a compliment so didn't thumpulate him.

Good job Ice.
Why do you think people are nervous around Chessies?
I'm just curious. I teach ob for our club and find that people who are not club members tend to be a bit nervous around certain dogs based on the breed rather than the dog. Tends to drive me nuts as the majority of the "real problem" dogs meaning watch out so ya don't get bit are almost always little.
I teach CGC so we have to work on aproaching the dog to pet, brush etc.
Never had any nasty issues with Chessies, Rotties, Dobes etc.

caryalsobrook
05-09-2011, 12:02 PM

You think you hear many jokes about Chessies, come down here and listen to those about Chocolate Labs:)

BonMallari
05-16-2011, 09:37 AM
well if we can brag about our POTUS dawgs, then I have to post about the failures too..Nola and Brig and I were entered in the Amateur at N.Utah this past weekend, they had been training beautiful...we trained with Al Wilson(who ended up winning the Open) on Thurs and he set up one particular land blind on which Brig was the only dog of the 8 dogs in the group to line the blind

But here comes Sat and the real deal...1st series triple, long middle retired, 2nd bird tight to the right,and flyer left

Nola who was 2nd dog up pins both outside marks and takes a good line for the 3rd which gets better as she gets closer, when it looks like she will literally step on the bird she runs over the bird and keeps going, she comes back out of the cover left of the bird and then switches to the old fall, so I picked her up...she came back wet and it was a land triple so she obviously went into the water some 75 yards beyond the bird
Brig stepped on the first two and locked onto the money bird, takes a fabulous line and then for some reason turns 90 degrees right halfway out and also back to the second bird, so I picked him up too

what is ironic is that we ran the exact same set up in training on Thurs and the dogs did well

So no bragging here...just wanted to post the facts...wont throw the blame to my dogs, and dont think I committed any errors, WE just didnt get it done..Hope I get another chance

road kill
05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
well if we can brag about our POTUS dawgs, then I have to post about the failures too..Nola and Brig and I were entered in the Amateur at N.Utah this past weekend, they had been training beautiful...we trained with Al Wilson(who ended up winning the Open) on Thurs and he set up one particular land blind on which Brig was the only dog of the 8 dogs in the group to line the blind

But here comes Sat and the real deal...1st series triple, long middle retired, 2nd bird tight to the right,and flyer left

Nola who was 2nd dog up pins both outside marks and takes a good line for the 3rd which gets better as she gets closer, when it looks like she will literally step on the bird she runs over the bird and keeps going, she comes back out of the cover left of the bird and then switches to the old fall, so I picked her up...she came back wet and it was a land triple so she obviously went into the water some 75 yards beyond the bird
Brig stepped on the first two and locked onto the money bird, takes a fabulous line and then for some reason turns 90 degrees right halfway out and also back to the second bird, so I picked him up too

what is ironic is that we ran the exact same set up in training on Thurs and the dogs did well

So no bragging here...just wanted to post the facts...wont throw the blame to my dogs, and dont think I committed any errors, WE just didnt get it done..Hope I get another chance

Tough.....especially when you KNOW they can do it.
Someday I would like to watch your dogs run Bon!!

Elvis' line manners were rock solid this weekend!!

ROCK SOLID!!!:shock:

Of course he "crushed bones" when he delivered the last bird and failed as a result.:oops:
(he was not giving it up, pretty sticky:rolleyes:)
But his line manners were good.:D

RK

PS...I am glad you are posting, you are my favorite poster and the classiest act here!!

BonMallari
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Tough.....especially when you KNOW they can do it.
Someday I would like to watch your dogs run Bon!!

Elvis' line manners were rock solid this weekend!!

ROCK SOLID!!!:shock:

Of course he "crushed bones" when he delivered the last bird and failed.:oops:
(he was not giving it up, pretty sticky)
But his line manners were good.:D

RK

PS...I am glad you are posting, you are my favorite poster and the classiest act here!!

Thanks but you give me way too much credit...

Brig is an Elvis, just three yrs down the road, I was more afraid he would break or at least creep, but he and I had our "meeting of the minds" up in Idaho and we have been in lockstep since...he is a GREAT lining dog, just explodes, we will have to tighten up the marks, he has the talent to do well..His sister/litter mate just won the Open this weekend in Montana

I must add that Clint gave me two finished dogs to play with, Nola has 2 AA wins, Brig had a couple of Derby placements..it was like getting the keys to the reliable SUV and the keys to the Porsche and being told to go out and have fun

Buzz
09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Just thought I'd throw up a brag on this old thread, results from Sioux Valley Retriever Club.

The little guy is QAA now. :cool:

Qualifying - Friday - 33 Entries Judges: Mark Belford & Marjorie Mize

29 Hauling Wind Steve Penny Tim Milligan 1st
22 Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash Dave Bezesky Dave Bezesky 2nd
28 Premier's Easy Ryder Bill/Beverly Busler William L. Busler/Beverly K. Busler/Jim Beck 3rd
11 Bluegoose Remington David Aul DVM Steve Blythe 4th
27 Magic's Tricks Wizzy David Aul DVM Steve Blythe Res. Jam
8 Watermark's Hip Shaken Hattie Chuck Hutchason Chuck Hutchason Jam
25 OGF Lean Angus Patty MH Douglas Dodge Douglas Dodge Jam
33 Dakota Magic II JH Gary Meeder Gary Meeder Jam

caryalsobrook
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Just thought I'd throw up a brag on this old thread, results from Sioux Valley Retriever Club.

28 Premier's Easy Ryder Bill/Beverly Busler William L. Busler/Beverly K. Busler/Jim Beck 3rd

Nothing to say but a great big CONGRATS!! On to AFE and FC?? If so then good luck!!!:)

BonMallari
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Congrats Buzz...well done Sir...

M&K's Retrievers
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Atta boy, Buzz!

charly_t
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM

Congratulatins !

road kill
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Sweetness!!!

Well done!!

Team Elvis

Marvin S
09-06-2011, 09:25 PM

1st - 29 Hauling Wind Steve Penny Tim Milligan 1st
2nd - 22 Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash Dave Bezesky Dave Bezesky

Rumor has it that you spent the rest of the day signing Autographs :) :)

Way to go =