PDA

View Full Version : Haley Makin' His Move......

road kill
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Barbour Will Head to Iowa for GOP Event
By Tricia Miller
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:24 p.m.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour will speak at the Iowa GOP’s Chairman’s Dinner on March 15 in the Quad Cities.

Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn’s dinner will kick off a year-long series of events with national political leaders meant to promote county Republican organizations. The dinner will be held in Scott County, the third-most-populous county in the Hawkeye State. The state party’s press release noted that Republicans have momentum there, pointing to their support of now-Gov. Terry Branstad (R).

“Not only did Scott County Republicans deliver for Terry Branstad in November, they won a Dem-held State House seat and swept all three county supervisor seats to hold a 4-1 GOP margin on the Board,” Strawn said in the release.

The state party said it would announce speakers at more events in the series “in the coming weeks.”

Barbour is among a number of potential Republican presidential candidates who are taking every opportunity to interact with Republicans in the state that hosts the nation’s first presidential caucuses.

Last week, Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) announced former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) would speak at an event his leadership political action committee will host in Des Moines on March 26. King had already announced that Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) would give the keynote address that day.

And socially conservative group the Family Leader has lined up a number of potential candidates for its lecture series across Iowa. Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R) went first, speaking at three Iowa schools on Feb. 7.

The events lead up to the nonbinding Ames Straw Poll on Aug. 13, which may weed out weaker candidates before the official caucuses in February. Though some candidates have skipped the straw poll in the past, this year a debate earlier in the week will give them extra incentive to participate.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/-203369-1.html?ET=rollcall:e9825:80104117a:&st=email&pos=epol
__________________________________________________ ______________

This guy is legit to me.

RK

huntinman
02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
He is to me as well, but will most of the country be able to get past his heavy southern accent?

(I grew up in SC and live in TN, I have no problem with southern accents)

Roger Perry
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
He is to me as well, but will most of the country be able to get past his heavy southern accent?

I don't think its his southern accent that the country has to get past because Jimmy Carter also had a southern accent. Its his being a racist that will keep him from being elected.

road kill
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM

I dunno, they tolerate the Dan Akroyd Chicago accent.:D

RK

huntinman
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think its his southern accent that the country has to get past because Jimmy Carter also had a southern accent. Its his being a racist that will keep him from being elected.

I would say that's one of the dumbest things you have ever said. but you say so many dumb things it's hard to keep track. Care to back your claim up, or be like the drive-by media and just throw bombs as you go?

road kill
02-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Well, this thread is now STAINED!!:rolleyes:

RK

Roger Perry
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I would say that's one of the dumbest things you have ever said. but you say so many dumb things it's hard to keep track. Care to back your claim up, or be like the drive-by media and just throw bombs as you go?

Here is why I think Hailey Barbour is a racist and that any run for the presidency there are some facts that will be brought up.

The Weekly Standard piece proves that Barbour is either dishonest or so blindly ignorant that one can scarcely imagine how he’s managed a successful political career.
• Harold Evans: Haley Barbour Needs a History Lesson (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-12-20/haley-barbours-race-gaffe-he-needs-a-civil-rights-history-lesson/)It’s true that in Yazoo, the local Citizens Council stood against the Klan—because it was worried about the competition. Citizens Councils were white supremacist organizations that were formed in the 1950s to defend segregation. They tended to be more upscale and respectable than the Klan, but they didn’t disagree with Klan racism. In his book Local People: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi, John Dittmer wrote, “The Yazoo City chapter of the Citizens Council went on record opposing the Klan, adding that ‘your Citizens Council was formed to preserve the separation of the races, and believes that it can best serve the county where it is the only organization operating in this field.”

Rather than resorting to terrorism, the “town leaders” of the Citizens Councils used more genteel methods to punish African Americans who dared demand civil rights. When black parents in Yazoo filed petitions to desegregate county schools, the Citizens Council took out a full-page newspaper add with their names and addresses. The same information, Dittmer writes, was posted on placards in every store in town. All the signatories with white employers lost their jobs. The self-employed were subject to punishing boycotts: One grocer, for example, left the state after distributors destroyed his business by refusing to sell to him.
Could Barbour really not know this history? If so, he has awfully bad memory, since he’s been through a similar controversy before. In 2003, Barbour’s photograph appeared on the website of the Council for Conservative Citizens, the Citizens Councils' successor organization, alongside articles like “In defense of racism.” The picture was taken at one of the group’s fundraising barbeques. There was a media uproar, and while Barbour denied knowledge of CCC’s racist activities, he also refused ask for the removal of his photo.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-12-20/haley-barbours-praise-of-citizen-councils-stirs-debate-about-racism/full/full/full/full/

Roger Perry
02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, this thread is now STAINED!!:rolleyes:

RK

Ok Mr. Know It All. What, am I not allowed to have an opinion???????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Utb1R89uc&feature=related

huntinman
02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Here is why I think Hailey Barbour is a racist and that any run for the presidency there are some facts that will be brought up.

The Weekly Standard piece proves that Barbour is either dishonest or so blindly ignorant that one can scarcely imagine how he’s managed a successful political career.
• Harold Evans: Haley Barbour Needs a History Lesson (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-12-20/haley-barbours-race-gaffe-he-needs-a-civil-rights-history-lesson/)It’s true that in Yazoo, the local Citizens Council stood against the Klan—because it was worried about the competition. Citizens Councils were white supremacist organizations that were formed in the 1950s to defend segregation. They tended to be more upscale and respectable than the Klan, but they didn’t disagree with Klan racism. In his book Local People: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi, John Dittmer wrote, “The Yazoo City chapter of the Citizens Council went on record opposing the Klan, adding that ‘your Citizens Council was formed to preserve the separation of the races, and believes that it can best serve the county where it is the only organization operating in this field.”

Rather than resorting to terrorism, the “town leaders” of the Citizens Councils used more genteel methods to punish African Americans who dared demand civil rights. When black parents in Yazoo filed petitions to desegregate county schools, the Citizens Council took out a full-page newspaper add with their names and addresses. The same information, Dittmer writes, was posted on placards in every store in town. All the signatories with white employers lost their jobs. The self-employed were subject to punishing boycotts: One grocer, for example, left the state after distributors destroyed his business by refusing to sell to him.
Could Barbour really not know this history? If so, he has awfully bad memory, since he’s been through a similar controversy before. In 2003, Barbour’s photograph appeared on the website of the Council for Conservative Citizens, the Citizens Councils' successor organization, alongside articles like “In defense of racism.” The picture was taken at one of the group’s fundraising barbeques. There was a media uproar, and while Barbour denied knowledge of CCC’s racist activities, he also refused ask for the removal of his photo.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-12-20/haley-barbours-praise-of-citizen-councils-stirs-debate-about-racism/full/full/full/full/

Does Barbour get to use the same excuse that Obama used when asked about his ties to The Weather Underground People? Hey I was just a kid...what could I know? Worked for Obama...maybe Barbour should try it.

Roger Perry
02-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Does Barbour get to use the same excuse that Obama used when asked about his ties to The Weather Underground People? Hey I was just a kid...what could I know? Worked for Obama...maybe Barbour should try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinman http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=751038#post751038)

You asked me to back up my claim and I did. I did not just throw a bomb out there. I do not know what will or will not work for Barbour I just think his racial views will not get him elected.

huntinman
02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinman http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://new.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=751038#post751038)

You asked me to back up my claim and I did. I did not just throw a bomb out there. I do not know what will or will not work for Barbour I just think his racial views will not get him elected.

I don't think you or the media know what his "racial" views are. It is pure speculation by the media for the purpose of tainting him as a candidate and people like you bite...hook, line and sinker. If he was as bad as you say, I doubt if he could get elected in MS with demographics there...

Libs will always let you know who they fear... just watch who they attack. So you attack Barbour... he must be pretty good.

Buzz
02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

False equivalency anyone?

dnf777
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
False equivalency anyone?

Barbour's quotes were from last year. Not when he was a child.

Besides the race issues (and remember, perceptions are more important than the truth, when it comes to politics and public opinion), he has far too many ties to lobbying groups. He's already bought and sold. Again, not that anyone else at that level isn't, but perceptions are potent.

Let the name calling and personal insults begin.....I dared to express an opinion that may differ from the POTUS gods.

huntinman
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Besides the race issues (and remember, perceptions are more important than the truth, when it comes to politics and public opinion), he has far too many ties to lobbying groups. He's already bought and sold. Again, not that anyone else at that level isn't, but perceptions are potent.

Let the name calling and personal insults begin.....I dared to express an opinion that may differ from the POTUS gods.

Especially true when dealing with the left wing attack machine...

road kill
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

There is no more of a "race" component with Barbour than there is with Obama.

It is just a word the left wing progressives throw out to damage anyone that scares them.

RK

Marvin S
02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Barbour Will Head to Iowa for GOP Event
By Tricia Miller
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:24 p.m.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour will speak at the Iowa GOP’s Chairman’s Dinner on March 15 in the Quad Cities.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/-203369-1.html?ET=rollcall:e9825:80104117a:&st=email&pos=epol
__________________________________________________ ______________

This guy is legit to me.

RK

To me, also - Head of RNC, ran smooth. MS Governor, apparently like Jindal doing a good job. This is also a guy who has connections, I would believe him to be able to create a better cabinet than his R predecessors after Reagan.

He will get my families vote should we get that opportunity :o.

Roger Perry
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Report: GOPers Begging Haley Barbour Not To Run For President

Evan McMorris-Santoro (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/evan_mcmorris-santoro/2010/10/10-week/) | October 14, 2010, 8:57AM

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/assets_c/2010/09/haley-barbour-closeup-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg
Gov. Haley Barbour (R-MS)

Faced with the prospect of squaring off in 2012 against the first African American president, some Republicans are begging the Governor of Mississippi to stay out of the running. According to Politico (http://www.politico.com/playbook/1010/playbook1203.html)'s Mike Allen, "a handful of well-known Republicans" will reach out to Gov. Haley Barbour (R) and "urge him, for the good of his party, to run for chairman of the Republican National Committee rather than the party's nomination for president, as he currently plans."

Even some of the GOP doesn't want Barbour to run for President;-)

huntinman
02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Report: GOPers Begging Haley Barbour Not To Run For President

Evan McMorris-Santoro (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/evan_mcmorris-santoro/2010/10/10-week/) | October 14, 2010, 8:57AM

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/assets_c/2010/09/haley-barbour-closeup-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg

Faced with the prospect of squaring off in 2012 against the first African American president, some Republicans are begging the Governor of Mississippi to stay out of the running. According to Politico (http://www.politico.com/playbook/1010/playbook1203.html)'s Mike Allen, "a handful of well-known Republicans" will reach out to Gov. Haley Barbour (R) and "urge him, for the good of his party, to run for chairman of the Republican National Committee rather than the party's nomination for president, as he currently plans."

Even some of the GOP doesn't want Barbour to run for President;-)

Consider the source...and who are the "well known republicans?"

Marvin S
02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Faced with the prospect of squaring off in 2012 against the first African American president,

Google "Timothy Pigford" which I will be posting on shortly, stack up your best ammo, we'll discuss "reverse racism". Some really interesting names show in the article I read :o.

Roger Perry
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Consider the source...and who are the "well known republicans?"

Its a secret much like the WME "found" in San Diego. ;-)

huntinman
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
My guess is they don't want to be named.;-)

Or maybe they don't exsist:rolleyes:

Franco
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't have any problem with Gov Barbour but, the only move he'll be making is for the Capitol Hill lunch buffet! ;-)

When was the last time we had a chubby President?

Not that it should matter:cool:

ducknwork
02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't have any problem with Gov Barbour but, the only move he'll be making is for the Capitol Hill lunch buffet! ;-)

In that case, he would be a very fitting representation of our country's populace.

Goose
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM

I've found my Presidential candidate......Irina Shayk!!! What a hottie:) Wish I could smuggle that magazine in the house!

huntinman
02-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I've found my Presidential candidate......Irina Shayk!!! What a hottie:) Wish I could smuggle that magazine in the house!

We live in Russia now?

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 04:00 PM
We have discussed Harley Barbour on this forum before. If he can publically extol the virtues of the White Citizens Council, that is a deal breaker or me. I could never vote for him.

road kill
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
We have discussed Harley Barbour on this forum before. If he can publically extol the virtues of the White Citizens Council, that is a deal breaker or me. I could never vote for him.

Never for 1 second thought you would.

In fact my guess is the chances of you voting for any conservative are slim & none, and we all know where slim is!!!!:cool:

RK

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Never for 1 second thought you would.

In fact my guess is the chances of you voting for any conservative are slim & none, and we all know where slim is!!!!:cool:

RK

You're wrong. I could vote for a fiscal conservative depending on their views on other issues. Barbour may be a conservative, but I cannot tolerate his views on race. Now, if views like his go hand in hand with being a conservative, then you are right, there is no chance of me voting for one. However, I do not believe that to be the case. I personally know some self proclaimed conservatives that I would not consider to be bigots. But, Haley Barbour isn’t one of them.

Franco
02-15-2011, 04:53 PM

She is a hottie and no need for a magazine, she is on-line waiting for you!:D

Franco
02-15-2011, 04:56 PM

I must have missed that thread and I can't find it.

There weren't many white southern politicians that supported intergration back in the 60's.

huntinman
02-15-2011, 05:00 PM

There weren't many white southern politicians that supported intergration back in the 60's.

Haley Barbour was not a politician in the 60's... Probably in high school.

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Haley Barbour's comments were just made last year, which is what makes them all the more stunning. He may have grown up in the 1960s, but I would have hoped he would have grown more socially aware over the years, and not come out in support of an organization with a history like the White Citizens Council. There is no way I could expect a man like that to represent my best interests, so how could I vote for him.

huntinman
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Haley Barbour's comments were just made last year, which is what makes them all the more stunning. He may have grown up in the 1960s, but I would have hoped he would have grown more socially aware over the years, and not come out in support of an organization with a history like the White Citizens Council. There is no way I could expect a man like that to represent my best interests, so how could I vote for him.

Barack Obama got what...95% of the black vote last time? He will next time as well. So in the big scheme of things, whats the difference.

If 95% if the white population voted for any white candidate, can you imagine the screaming of racism the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment would be doing? Just asking...

dnf777
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Barack Obama got what...95% of the black vote last time? He will next time as well. So in the big scheme of things, whats the difference.

If 95% if the white population voted for any white candidate, can you imagine the screaming of racism the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment would be doing? Just asking...

There's a huge difference. It very well may be (probably is) racist that 95% of blacks voted for Obama. Many voted for him based on qualities or ideals....then there were racists who voted only because he was black.

The difference is, blacks still comprise a minority of this country, therefore many whites and non-African-Americans ALSO had to vote for him in order to secure a win. So he did not win merely on racist votes.

Its really a bogus argurment, as there have not been black candidates (with rare exceptions) in this country. Your question above can easily be answered with "virtually 100% of white voters HAVE voted for white candidates throughout this country's history! Does that make them racist? Of course not.

huntinman
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
There's a huge difference. It very well may be (probably is) racist that 95% of blacks voted for Obama. Many voted for him based on qualities or ideals....then there were racists who voted only because he was black.

The difference is, blacks still comprise a minority of this country, therefore many whites and non-African-Americans ALSO had to vote for him in order to secure a win. So he did not win merely on racist votes.

Its really a bogus argurment, as there have not been black candidates (with rare exceptions) in this country. Your question above can easily be answered with "virtually 100% of white voters HAVE voted for white candidates throughout this country's history! Does that make them racist? Of course not.

In the context of Obama vs McCain... if 95 % of white voters had voted for McCain.... if I have to spell it out that literally is what I should have said. Of course white voters have voted for white candidates. In this case, they had a "racial" choice and a majority of WHITE voters voted for the black candidate. I'm pretty sure you know what I was getting at.

road kill
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Could you please post these horrific quotes??

Standing by.........

RK

cotts135
02-15-2011, 06:03 PM

You asked him to tell you why he thought Barbour was a rascist. He presented his argument but you, instead of either arguing against what he said or agreeing with it, you bring up Obama? Weak..............:rolleyes: And we wonder why threads get so far off topic.

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 06:16 PM

That’s funny considering Shirley Chisholm, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Alan Keyes, Carol Moseley Braun, and Lenora Fulani have all attempted to run for president, and none could even get enough of the white vote to win the nomination of their own party. They didn’t even get 95% of the black vote within their party. Did the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment scream racism?

Also, until Obama, elections for president came down to 2 white men. So, who do you think 95% of the white population was voting for? And, coincidentally, 95% of the black voting population was voting for a white man too. Did the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment scream racism?

More than 90% of black voters have voted for the Democratic candidate for president since the 1960s, and LBJ. If the Republicans had run a black candidate, he wouldn’t have gotten 95% of the black vote just because he was black. So, contrary to what you are implying, blacks do actually think about who they want to represent them, and why. I know there are those blacks that voted for Obama just because he was black, just like there are those whites that voted against Obama just because he was black.

dnf777
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
In the context of Obama vs McCain... if 95 % of white voters had voted for McCain.... if I have to spell it out that literally is what I should have said. Of course white voters have voted for white candidates. In this case, they had a "racial" choice and a majority of WHITE voters voted for the black candidate. I'm pretty sure you know what I was getting at.

Yes, I do. But what is your point? By your own reasoning, then the tea party must be very racist, as what percentage of them voted for the white candidate? How about the republican party as a whole? What percentage of them voted for the white candidate? Over 90%? 95?

Let me offer a more reasonable explanation. Maybe the candidate that is more in line with tea party values happened to be white. And maybe the candidate who fell in line with the AA communitie's values happened to be black.

And maybe, just maybe, there are racists in all camps, hopefully comprising a smaller and smaller percentage as we move beyond racism, sexism, and other forms of unfounded discrimination, that grab the attention of the other side when trying to score points.

road kill
02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Could you please post these horrific quotes??

Standing by.........

RK

Still standing by......

RK

dnf777
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Still standing by......

RK

I doubt you'll ever agree on what was said as being racist or not. Personally, I could not see into his heart and mind and know what he was truly feeling when he talked about growing up in the south as "not being that bad". At face value, I would not consider those racist comments. Insensitive maybe? Sure. But what he said will be interpreted differently depending on the listener's personal set of experiences.

If he was merely relating HIS recollection of growing up...then he can't be wrong. Perhaps his recollections are wrong, but that's a different story, to be told by those who were there. Not you or me.

road kill
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I doubt you'll ever agree on what was said as being racist or not. Personally, I could not see into his heart and mind and know what he was truly feeling when he talked about growing up in the south as "not being that bad". At face value, I would not consider those racist comments. Insensitive maybe? Sure. But what he said will be interpreted differently depending on the listener's personal set of experiences.

If he was merely relating HIS recollection of growing up...then he can't be wrong. Perhaps his recollections are wrong, but that's a different story, to be told by those who were there. Not you or me.

Perhaps HIS recollections of HIS life are totally accurate.

Anyone here try to sheild their children from the harsh realties of life??

If so.....you a racist!!!!!

Like I said earlier, it's just a word you left wing progressives use to denigrate someone that scares you!!

RK

huntinman
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
You asked him to tell you why he thought Barbour was a rascist. He presented his argument but you, instead of either arguing against what he said or agreeing with it, you bring up Obama? Weak..............:rolleyes: And we wonder why threads get so far off topic.

We have never seen any evidence presented Cotts. Just some comments he supposedly made, but no one has posted those comments. Or any proof that he said anything that was "racist". AS RK said... were waiting... that's whats weak... branding someone racist with no evidence. An old, tired tactic of the left.

Franco
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM

I don't know anything about the White Citizens Council but it doesn't sound much different than say the The Black Congressinol Caucus. Just labels.

As a former landowner in east-central Miss and someone who has harvested thousands of doves, dozens of deer and few ducks in Miss, most had to do what they had to do in the 60's.

When the public school system was intergrated, white citzens across the state set up private schools. The private sector financed their schools and tax funds went to support the public system.

The Gov. spent millions in new state of the art schools. Yet, thier performance is still not what was provided by the private sector.

A classic case of Government to big because a forced merger of cultures would have been extremely violent and counter-productive.

Public schools across the south are a mess and the government doesn't know how to fix it they just know how to throw money at the problem.

Where there is a will, there is a way and the solution doesn't lay within the Fed Gov. when it comes to education!

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Still standing by......

RK

Sorry to keep you in suspense. ;-)

I never used the word “horrific” to describe his comments. They were not. But, comments don’t have to be horrific to support racism. His praised the White Citizens Council for their role in the integration of Yazoo City schools, as if they had been a force of good during the civil rights struggle. When asked why Yazoo City was perhaps the only municipality in Mississippi that managed to integrate the schools without violence. Barbour said:

“Because the business community wouldn’t stand for it,” he said. “You heard of the Citizens Councils? Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town. If you had a job, you’d lose it. If you had a store, they’d see nobody shopped there. We didn’t have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City.”

What he continently omitted was they did the same to anyone, black or white that signed the petition for integrating schools in Yazoo City. Council members fired signers of the petition, or prevailed upon other white employers to fire them. Of course they denied using any economic force or physical intimidation. All they did was “provide information” (a full-page ad in the local paper listing the “offenders”); spontaneous public feeling did the rest. As a result, 51 of 53 blacks who had signed the original integration petition withdrew their names and/or were run out of town, had businesses boycotted, and insurance policies cancelled. One member of the Yazoo City Citizens Council, explained, “if a man works for you, and you believe in something, and that man is working against it and undermining it, why you don’t want him working for you—of course you don’t.”

The White Citizens Council also established a private, segregated, white only academy which still exists today, so their white kids would not have to go to public schools with black kids.

Now, this same organization of “community leaders” did go on record opposing the Klan by saying, “your Citizens Council was formed to preserve the separation of the races, and believes that it can best serve the county where it is the only organization operating in this field.” Sounds like a swell bunch of guys. Is it any wonder Barbour admires them so much?

Then, there was the picture of Barbour that appeared on the website of the Council for Conservative Citizens (successor organization to the White Citizens Council). The website also contained such articles as “In defense of racism.” The picture was taken at one of the group’s fundraising barbeques. When there was media uproar over it, Barbour denied any knowledge of CCC’s racist activities. But, he also refused to ask them to remove of his photo from the site.

Then, early last year, there was his response to the uproar over how the history of slavery was conspicuously omitted from Virginia’s Confederate History Month. Barbour’s comment was, “To me, it's a sort of feeling that it's a nit, that it is not significant, that it's not a—it's trying to make a big deal out of something doesn't amount to diddly". I wonder if it didn’t amount to “diddly” to those who were enslaved?

Based on this, how could I vote for Haley Barbour? In my place, would you? Do you think he would help me, or help those that would hurt me?

Franco
02-15-2011, 08:25 PM

I never used the word “horrific” to describe his comments. They were not. But, comments don’t have to be horrific to support racism. His praised the White Citizens Council for their role in the integration of Yazoo City schools, as if they had been a force of good during the civil rights struggle. When asked why Yazoo City was perhaps the only municipality in Mississippi that managed to integrate the schools without violence. Barbour said:

“Because the business community wouldn’t stand for it,” he said. “You heard of the Citizens Councils? Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town. If you had a job, you’d lose it. If you had a store, they’d see nobody shopped there. We didn’t have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City.”

What he continently omitted was they did the same to anyone, black or white that signed the petition for integrating schools in Yazoo City. Council members fired signers of the petition, or prevailed upon other white employers to fire them. Of course they denied using any economic force or physical intimidation. All they did was “provide information” (a full-page ad in the local paper listing the “offenders”); spontaneous public feeling did the rest. As a result, 51 of 53 blacks who had signed the original integration petition withdrew their names and/or were run out of town, had businesses boycotted, and insurance policies cancelled. One member of the Yazoo City Citizens Council, explained, “if a man works for you, and you believe in something, and that man is working against it and undermining it, why you don’t want him working for you—of course you don’t.”

The White Citizens Council also established a private, segregated, white only academy which still exists today, so their white kids would not have to go to public schools with black kids.

Now, this same organization of “community leaders” did go on record opposing the Klan by saying, “your Citizens Council was formed to preserve the separation of the races, and believes that it can best serve the county where it is the only organization operating in this field.” Sounds like a swell bunch of guys. Is it any wonder Barbour admires them so much?

Then, there was the picture of Barbour that appeared on the website of the Council for Conservative Citizens (successor organization to the White Citizens Council). The website also contained such articles as “In defense of racism.” The picture was taken at one of the group’s fundraising barbeques. When there was media uproar over it, Barbour denied any knowledge of CCC’s racist activities. But, he also refused to ask them to remove of his photo from the site.

Then, early last year, there was his response to the uproar over how the history of slavery was conspicuously omitted from Virginia’s Confederate History Month. Barbour’s comment was, “To me, it's a sort of feeling that it's a nit, that it is not significant, that it's not a—it's trying to make a big deal out of something doesn't amount to diddly". I wonder if it didn’t amount to “diddly” to those who were enslaved?

Based on this, how could I vote for Haley Barbour? In my place, would you? Do you think he would help me, or help those that would hurt me?

Blackstone, you are aware that many parents don't want thier children falling into the Hip Hop Culture trap, don't you?

In the south, you won't see to many well adjusted white teenagers in the public school system. There are some but they are overwhelmed by the Hip Hop thing. They way they dress, act and speak is not what one sees at the all white private academys.

I veiw it more as a preservation of culture than hate.

dnf777
02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Perhaps HIS recollections of HIS life are totally accurate.

Anyone here try to sheild their children from the harsh realties of life??

If so.....you a racist!!!!!

Like I said earlier, it's just a word you left wing progressives use to denigrate someone that scares you!!

RK

Excuse me. Did I call him a racist? Did I even say his comments were racist?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I said almost the opposite.

Some people just like to argue.

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't know anything about the White Citizens Council but it doesn't sound much different than say the The Black Congressinol Caucus. Just labels.

Did the Black Congressional Caucus ever threaten whites with economic or physical harm just because they wanted an equal education? Did they ever incite blacks to run whites out of their homes and towns? Did they ever pressure and intimidate whites not to vote? Were they formed to "preserve the separation of the races?" Those are the things the White Citizens Council did to blacks.

It was a lot more than "just labels."

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Blackstone, you are aware that many parents don't want thier children falling into the Hip Hop Culture trap, don't you?

In the south, you won't see to many well adjusted white teenagers in the public school system. There are some but they are overwhelmed by the Hip Hop thing. They way they dress, act and speak is not what one sees at the all white private academys.

I veiw it more as a preservation of culture than hate.

There was no hip-hop culture in the '60s. There were just parents that wanted their kids to have access to an equal education. That is what black kids had been denied. So, if it’s not about racism, why not open up the private academies to all children regardless of race? Plenty of black parents don't want their kids "overwhelmed" by the hip-hop culture. Private academies can control dress codes and behavior, so why restrict it to whites only?

It is a preservation of culture, but the culture is one of hatred.

Franco
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Did the Black Congressional Caucus ever threaten whites with economic or physical harm just because they wanted an equal education? Did they ever incite blacks to run whites out of their homes and towns? Did they ever pressure and intimidate whites not to vote? Were they formed to "preserve the separation of the races?" Those are the things the White Citizens Council did to blacks.

It was a lot more than "just labels."

You say, "preserve the seperations of the races" and I say, "preservation of culture".

I've been all over the southeast and have spent all but a couple of years here. In 2011, there is no such thing as seperation of the races. We all work together in daily life. Dine at the same restaurants, attend any school WORTH attending, sporting events where white folks wear jerseys often of black athletes, hospitals, thearters, you name it.

But, a parent has the right to send thier kids where they want to for school. And, if that parent doesn't want thier child overwhelmed with Hip Hop and the lifestyle that goes with it, then more power to them.

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
We have never seen any evidence presented Cotts. Just some comments he supposedly made, but no one has posted those comments. Or any proof that he said anything that was "racist". AS RK said... were waiting... that's whats weak... branding someone racist with no evidence. An old, tired tactic of the left.

Does his support of a blatantly, avowed racist organization make him a racist or not?

road kill
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM

Based on this, your main issue is with what he DIDN'T say???

All righty then.......:rolleyes:

You gotta do better than this.

RK

Franco
02-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Well, Barbour as President is moot. Like I said, he is too chubby and reminds folks in the south of the comedian, Jerry Clower, also from Yazoo.

TxHillHunter
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Does his support of a blatantly, avowed racist organization make him a racist or not?

Not necessarily, no. I believe even the quotes you posted of his were his recollections.....do we know what his recollections were based on? Not from anything posted here. Perhaps he was sheltered from the more nefarious actions/beliefs of this organization. I don't know, and neither do you. So to label him a racist based on what you have provided is nothing better than "guilt by association." The guy was born in 1947, so at the height of the Civil Rights activity in MS (1963-1964) the guy was 16. I'm willing to cut him a little slack for what he may or may not have really been exposed to.

Not saying there may not be more there, but I think people are WAY too fast to label someone a racist based on what they think they know about that person.

paul young
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
what's the big deal? the guy is telling the truth. what was going on in those days wasn't so bad.....as long as you were white.

besides, there are no racist politicians out there, right?

wait for it......-Paul

TxHillHunter
02-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, Barbour as President is moot. Like I said, he is too chubby and reminds folks in the south of the comedian, Jerry Clower, also from Yazoo.

Probably right on this Franco, he looks too much like the majority of us! :p

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Based on this, your main issue is with what he DIDN'T say???

All righty then.......:rolleyes:

You gotta do better than this.

RK

No, it's not about what he didn't say. My main issue is with who he supports, and and the fact they are racists that were, and probably still are, intent on doing harm to people that look like me. It speaks to his character, his beliefs, and probably his intent. I guess you're missing my point. The man supports racism! Is that better?

huntinman
02-15-2011, 10:15 PM

I do not think Haley barbour is a racist.

Do you think Obama's minister Rev. Wright is a racist? he said an awful lot of hateful stuff for a long time...still does. For that matter does Obama's support of his church make Obama a racist?

Tit for tat regards

huntinman
02-15-2011, 10:30 PM

If Jerry Clower were alive, I would vote for HIM for president!

Just shoot up in this tree, one of us has got to have some relief!

huntinman
02-15-2011, 10:34 PM
No, it's not about what he didn't say. My main issue is with who he supports, and and the fact they are racists that were, and probably still are, intent on doing harm to people that look like me. It speaks to his character, his beliefs, and probably his intent. I guess you're missing my point. The man supports racism! Is that better?

You are pulling this right out of your rear. At least come up with something to back up your accusations. You are starting to sound like a mini Al Sharpton...and that is no compliment.

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Not necessarily, no. I believe even the quotes you posted of his were his recollections.....do we know what his recollections were based on? Not from anything posted here. Perhaps he was sheltered from the more nefarious actions/beliefs of this organization. I don't know, and neither do you. So to label him a racist based on what you have provided is nothing better than "guilt by association." The guy was born in 1947, so at the height of the Civil Rights activity in MS (1963-1964) the guy was 16. I'm willing to cut him a little slack for what he may or may not have really been exposed to.

Not saying there may not be more there, but I think people are WAY too fast to label someone a racist based on what they think they know about that person.

Come on, the man is older than me. I know what that organization was about, and I didn’t live in Yazoo, MS. Surely he has learned something about the racist behavior of that organization in last 50 years. If not, he’s certainly too stupid to be running for President (and, I don’t think for a minute that he’s stupid). After all, he’s the Governor. Shouldn’t he know the history of his state, good and bad?

Even if you think he has remained oblivious to the beliefs they held in those years, why was he posing for pictures at a Council for Conservative Citizens fund raiser in 2003? In case you missed in my earlier post, they are an offshoot of the White Citizens Council, and they promote and support a variety of conservative and paleo-conservative causes, which include white nationalism and white separatism. Their membership ranks included such esteemed members as Trent Lott, Strom Thurman, Jessie Helm & H. Guy Hunt, pretty much the whose who of racists. Do you think Barbour was still being shielded from their more nefarious actions and beliefs, and had no idea what they were about? It’s not like it was a secret. But, even he didn’t, when he was made aware, why would he refuse to ask them to remove his picture from their website? It was right next to an article promoting the rational for racism. The answer is, he did know exactly what they were about. He has even spoken at events on more than one occasion. It’s inconceivable to think Barbour could keep showing up in supporting these racist organizations without knowing what they are about.

Let me ask you, if you posed for pictures with an organization, and later found out they were an organization of pedophiles, and they had posted your picture on their website that promoted pedophilia, wouldn’t you demand they remove it . . . . unless, of course, you didn’t find anything wrong with pedophilia?

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 11:40 PM
You are pulling this right out of your rear. At least come up with something to back up your accusations. You are starting to sound like a mini Al Sharpton...and that is no compliment.

I gave you the history of the White Citizens Council. They intimidated blacks with both economic and physical harm just because they wanted the same type of education whites had access to. And, that wasn’t the only issue they flexed their muscles on. I gave you the history of the Council for Conservative Citizens, and they still exist today. Both groups advocated and promoted racism against “people that look like me,” so what am I pulling out of my rear . . . the truth? This is all a matter of public record. I posted a couple of links, but look it up for yourself since you think I’m pulling it out of my rear.

You challenged my opinion, I provided you with facts to back up what I said, and suddenly, I’m Al Sharpton? Could the real problem be you just don’t want to hear it regardless of how true it is.

http://hnn.us/articles/134814.html

http://m.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/dec/29/guest-column-white-citizens-councils----a-racist/

http://cofcc.org/introduction/statement-of-principles/

BonMallari
02-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Blackstone, with all due respect I would not even attempt to try and tell you of all people what is racist and what is not..You will always see the subject in a light none of us will ever know..

BUT

just because of your ethnicity, calling someone or some group racists does NOT mean that they are, they may be in YOUR eyes and in YOUR heart....but there is little to prove that they are and little to prove that they arent..You can play connect the dots and guilt by association which is something just about each and everyone here on POTUS has done at one time or another..

Only two people know if someone is a racist..the person themself, and the God that will judge them..everything else is speculation and opinion

Blackstone
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
I do not think Haley barbour is a racist.

Do you think Obama's minister Rev. Wright is a racist? he said an awful lot of hateful stuff for a long time...still does. For that matter does Obama's support of his church make Obama a racist?

Tit for tat regards

This thread is about Haley Barbour. If you want to talk about Obama, why don't you start a thread about him. I'm here talking about why I cannot support Haley Barbour for President (or, anything else for that matter). So, no tit for tat. Let's try to stay on subject.

Hew
02-16-2011, 05:55 AM
For my money, you can't beat the entertainment value of "he's a racist" accusations and race relation lectures coming from folks who have white-flighted to fishbelly-white burgs like Oakdale, Watertown and Western, PA. :-P

cotts135
02-16-2011, 06:43 AM

Your missing the point here, he showed you why he believes Barbour is a rascist, argue against his premise, Bringing up Obama is irrelevant and a topic for another thread.
Didn't see anything about comments in Rogers post just some actions and associations that Roger thinks are rascist.

road kill
02-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Your missing the point here, he showed you why he believes Barbour is a rascist, argue against his premise, Bringing up Obama is irrelevant and a topic for another thread.
Didn't see anything about comments in Rogers post just some actions and associations that Roger thinks are rascist.

Thanks for the lesson Cotts.
But we know how it works here.

Barbour is a conservative Republican therefore he is a RACIST!!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks anyways............

RK

ducknwork
02-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Does Obama's affiliation with a terrorist organization make him a terrorist or not?

I'm not going off topic here....Barbour's affiliation with a racist organization bothers you to the point that you won't support him for anything. That is your right and I understand that. But why doesn't Obama's affiliation with a group that committed violent acts (and expressed regret at not committing more) against our beloved country bother you to the same extent?

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Blackstone, with all due respect I would not even attempt to try and tell you of all people what is racist and what is not..You will always see the subject in a light none of us will ever know..

BUT

just because of your ethnicity, calling someone or some group racists does NOT mean that they are, they may be in YOUR eyes and in YOUR heart....but there is little to prove that they are and little to prove that they arent..You can play connect the dots and guilt by association which is something just about each and everyone here on POTUS has done at one time or another..

Only two people know if someone is a racist..the person themself, and the God that will judge them..everything else is speculation and opinion

My ethnicity may cause me to watch for racism more closely, but it does not make me accuse someone of racism without cause. There are other politicians that have made mistakes. Mike Huckabee provided a video taped address for a Council for Conservative Citizens national conference. But, after he found out what they were all about, he denounced their activities and distanced himself from them. George Bush spoke at Bob Jones University, but once their policies were brought to his attention, he apologized and distanced himself from them. Even Robert Byrd, who was once a member of the Klan, publically denounced them, admitted he had made a mistake joining, and tried to make amends. Whether or not these people were actually sincere, or only distanced themselves for the sake of their political careers, I don’t know. But, they at least made the overture. You have not heard me accuse any of them of being racists. I believe people make mistakes and I believe people can change over time, so I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, Barbour has a long history of association with racist groups that spans decades, and his support of them is as recent as Oct. of last year. That’s a little more than connect the dots.

If Haley Barbour is not a racist, he is at the very least guilty of supporting, and being very tolerant of, racism and those organizations that promote it. If he sees nothing wrong with that, why would I believe he would represent my interests if he was President?

ducknwork
02-16-2011, 07:40 AM
If he sees nothing wrong with that, why would I believe he would represent my interests if he was President?

Because you are an American, not an African American. It is the president's job to take care of Americans.

huntinman
02-16-2011, 08:20 AM
This thread and the argument being used by Blackstone, DNF, Roger, Cotts and any other lib..er middle of the road indepedent is the same argument used by anyone who was against Obama during his run for the WH. You must be racist. That is the strategy. Most are afraid to even hear the word. It has been used against Palin. It has been used against Pres. Bush. I have no doubt it will be used against whomever wins the republican nomination. It's the same old thing, your side has been throwing out there for years... Only problem is, most are not so scared of it anymore. Just sick of false accusations. So, keep it coming. Don't know who the candidate will be, but we will have one. Between taking back the senate, WH along with the congress, we can start cleaning up the mess made over the last few years.

TxHillHunter
02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Come on, the man is older than me. I know what that organization was about, and I didn’t live in Yazoo, MS. Surely he has learned something about the racist behavior of that organization in last 50 years. If not, he’s certainly too stupid to be running for President (and, I don’t think for a minute that he’s stupid). After all, he’s the Governor. Shouldn’t he know the history of his state, good and bad?

Even if you think he has remained oblivious to the beliefs they held in those years, why was he posing for pictures at a Council for Conservative Citizens fund raiser in 2003? In case you missed in my earlier post, they are an offshoot of the White Citizens Council, and they promote and support a variety of conservative and paleo-conservative causes, which include white nationalism and white separatism. Their membership ranks included such esteemed members as Trent Lott, Strom Thurman, Jessie Helm & H. Guy Hunt, pretty much the whose who of racists. Do you think Barbour was still being shielded from their more nefarious actions and beliefs, and had no idea what they were about? It’s not like it was a secret. But, even he didn’t, when he was made aware, why would he refuse to ask them to remove his picture from their website? It was right next to an article promoting the rational for racism. The answer is, he did know exactly what they were about. He has even spoken at events on more than one occasion. It’s inconceivable to think Barbour could keep showing up in supporting these racist organizations without knowing what they are about.

Let me ask you, if you posed for pictures with an organization, and later found out they were an organization of pedophiles, and they had posted your picture on their website that promoted pedophilia, wouldn’t you demand they remove it . . . . unless, of course, you didn’t find anything wrong with pedophilia?

Yes, a governor SHOULD know the history of his state....but if he does not, it does NOT make him racist, nor am I sure any governor in the country would pass the test of knowing 100% of their state's history. The pictures you refer to again are "guilt by association". Bad judgement does not make one a racist. If what you document is accurate above, he SHOULD ask for his pictures to be withdrawn, but not doing so does not make him a racist IMO.

How do you know you have never had a picture taken with a racist standing next to you? Would that make you racist? Of course not. If you grew up in MS, it would be a lot more likely you'd have such a picture in your album.

Blackstone, let's be clear....I'm not defending the guy because I don't know whether he's a racist, but you've presented nothing but associational proof. What actions has HE taken that are racist, what has HE said that is racist? You keep saying he "supports" these racist organizations....has he funded them? Provided some gubernatorial protection of some kind not due to organizations in MS?

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 09:22 AM
This thread and the argument being used by Blackstone, DNF, Roger, Cotts and any other lib..er middle of the road indepedent is the same argument used by anyone who was against Obama during his run for the WH. You must be racist. That is the strategy. Most are afraid to even hear the word. It has been used against Palin. It has been used against Pres. Bush. I have no doubt it will be used against womever wins the republican nomination. It's the same old thing, your side has been throwing out there for years... Only problem is, most are not so scared of it anymore. Just sick of false accusations. So, keep it coming. Don't know who the candidate will be, but we will have one. Between taking back the senate, WH along with the congress, we can start cleaning up the mess made over the last few years.

This has nothing to do with Obama, Bush or Palin; only Barbour. And, please show where I made any such accusation against anyone opposed to Obama when he ran for President unless I had the proof to support it. So, where is this “strategy” you’re talking about? Talk about pulling something out of your rear!

I made the accusation based on the facts of who he supports and what they believe in. If I misrepresented any of the facts about any of them, please point it out. It defies logic to think that anyone would form a long term association with organizations whose STATED views are diametrically opposed to their own? Both organizations are self avowed racist organizations, so what does that tell you? That information is public record. If you have facts or evidence to refute any of this, please present it. Now is your chance to prove I’m wrong. I think what you’re really sick of is hearing the truth, if it doesn’t agree with what you want to believe.

If someone with close ties to the Nazi party was running for President, would you expect Jews to throw their support behind him and vote for him, or would you expect them to speak out against him and label him an anti-Semite?

Maybe you don’t care that Barbour associates with, and supports, racist organizations. Perhaps you think it’s trivial and unimportant. Or, maybe you're just willing to turn a blind eye to it because it doesn't impact you. However, it does impact me, so I don’t have the luxury of turning a blind eye.

huntinman
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Blackstone, this is 2011, you need to quit living in the past and move on (to quote some famous libs).

This perpetual victimhood sure gets old.

road kill
02-16-2011, 09:30 AM
I do want to make a comment.

For a left of center guy, Blackstone comports himself and presents his side very well.

I actually read his entire posts.

My problem of course is that I mostly post 1 liners as I am aware I am not changing anyones mind.

We all are where we are due to the travels we have been through.

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

RK

huntinman
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Or...sometimes...less is more;-)

road kill
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Or...sometimes...less is more;-)

And vice versa!!!!;-)

RK

ducknwork
02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
My problem of course is that I mostly post 1 liners as I am aware I am not changing anyones mind.

RK

As evidenced by some of POTUS's more long winded posters...it doesn't matter if it's one line or one page...nobody's changing any minds.:D

EDIT: I think I am on ignore.

road kill
02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
As evidenced by some of POTUS's more long winded posters...it doesn't matter if it's one line or one page...nobody's changing any minds.:D

EDIT: I think I am on ignore.

2 things;

#1--I ain't ignoring you

#2--Ignore doesn't work anyways

RK

ducknwork
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
2 things;

#1--I ain't ignoring you

#2--Ignore doesn't work anyways

RK

1 thing...

1. I didn't mean you...;):D

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, a governor SHOULD know the history of his state....but if he does not, it does NOT make him racist, nor am I sure any governor in the country would pass the test of knowing 100% of their state's history. The pictures you refer to again are "guilt by association". Bad judgement does not make one a racist. If what you document is accurate above, he SHOULD ask for his pictures to be withdrawn, but not doing so does not make him a racist IMO.

As I said, the history of the White Citizens Council is well known in MS. He doesn’t need to know 100% of MS’ history to know who they were and what they stood for, especially 40 years later. Bad judgment is a mistake you make once, maybe twice, but not repeatedly.

According to the article I read, the issue of the Council of Conservative Citizens doctrine was pointed out to Barbour by the media once the picture surfaced, and he “refused” to ask them to remove his picture from their website.

It I hard to believe he didn’t know what they stood for when members of the Republican Party were urging Republicans that were members of the Council of Conservative Citizens to renounce their membership because of the organization’s racist views. Barbour was chairman of the Republican National Committee while some of this was going on.

How do you know you have never had a picture taken with a racist standing next to you? Would that make you racist? Of course not. If you grew up in MS, it would be a lot more likely you'd have such a picture in your album.

Of course it’s possible, but if I found out about it, I would certainly try to keep them from displaying it publically. If I couldn’t, I would do everything I could to disassociate myself with them. I have had friends and acquaintances I considered to be racists. I let them know I didn’t believe in that. If they persisted, I chose to no longer associate with them.

Blackstone, let's be clear....I'm not defending the guy because I don't know whether he's a racist, but you've presented nothing but associational proof. What actions has HE taken that are racist, what has HE said that is racist? You keep saying he "supports" these racist organizations....has he funded them? Provided some gubernatorial protection of some kind not due to organizations in MS?

I do not know if he has given them money. However, support is not only financial. He has appeared at their fund raisers and spoken at their events. That, IMO, is lending your support to them, especially when you are a Governor and former Chair of the Republican Natl. Committee.

You may think it is only “guilt by association,” and perhaps you are right. But, does it seem plausible to you that he would continue to associate with groups like these if he didn’t share, accept, or at least tolerate their views?

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Blackstone, this is 2011, you need to quit living in the past and move on (to quote some famous libs).

This perpetual victimhood sure gets old.

You may think it is only “guilt by association,” and perhaps you are right. But, does it seem plausible to you that he would continue to associate with groups like these if he didn’t share, accept, or at least tolerate their views?

I’m not playing the victim, I’m just not taking any crap from those that would try to victimize me.

road kill
02-16-2011, 10:57 AM

I’m not playing the victim, I’m just not taking any crap from those that would try to victimize me.

I agree that running with dawgs will get you fleas.

But it's clear you really don't buy into that philosophy, or how else could you have voted for Obama??;-)

"comin' home to roost regards......"

RK

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I agree that running with dawgs will get you fleas.

But it's clear you really don't buy into that philosophy, or how else could you have voted for Obama??;-)

"comin' home to roost regards......"

RK

I just barely survived the last 4 years of the Bush administration. I couldn’t risk 4 more years of going down that same road, and I didn’t see McCain as the Maverick he claimed to be. Like with most elections, you pick the one you feel will do the most good for you.

road kill
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I just barely survived the last 4 years of the Bush administration. I couldn’t risk 4 more years of going down that same road, and I didn’t see McCain as the Maverick he claimed to be. Like with most elections, you pick the one you feel will do the most good for you.

Neither of those candidates had my best interests in mind.

RK

ducknwork
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Like with most elections, you pick the one you feel will do the most good for you.

I could never see someone who associated with terrorists that hate America and preachers that want God to damn America as someone who has my best interests as an American in mind. I guess it doesn't bother some people though.

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Neither of those candidates had my best interests in mind.

RK

Well, don’t worry, I’m considering a run for the Presidency in 2012, and I’ll look out for you. Just about everything not dog and hunting related will be cut from the budget. There’ll be money set aside for maintaining field trial grounds, training grounds, and public hunting land. Your dogs will be tax deductable, and you’ll get a tax credit for buying dog food & shotgun shells. That’s my platform, simple but elegant! :p

road kill
02-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Well, don’t worry, I’m considering a run for the Presidency in 2012, and I’ll look out for you. Just about everything not dog and hunting related will be cut from the budget. There’ll be money set aside for maintaining field trial grounds, training grounds, and public hunting land. Your dogs will be tax deductable, and you’ll get a tax credit for buying dog food & shotgun shells. That’s my platform, simple but elegant! :p

As it should be.........

RK

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I could never see someone who associated with terrorists that hate America and preachers that want God to damn America as someone who has my best interests as an American in mind. I guess it doesn't bother some people though.

Yet, Haley Barbour’s association with is far more involved and spans far more time than Obama’s association with Bill Ayers or even Jeremiah Wright, and people on hear are willing to give him a free pass. At least Obama came out publically and denounced Rev. Wright and his views, and disassociated himself with Wright and his church. Barbour wouldn’t even ask them to take his picture down from their racist website. Obama’s act of contrition may have only been for political gain. I don’t know, but at least he did it. Barbour has yet to do so.

Like I said, I know people make mistakes, and I believe people can change. I’m willing to give people a 2nd chance. However, Barbour has exhibited a pattern of being involved with racists, and hasn’t shown a desire to change.

dnf777
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
This thread and the argument being used by Blackstone, DNF, Roger, Cotts and any other lib..er middle of the road indepedent is the same argument used by anyone who was against Obama during his run for the WH. You must be racist.

Excuse me.

I asked RK to show me where I called Barbour a racist....and the silence has been deafening. I guess that's his way of conceding that he was WRONG.

Now you bunch me into a similar claim as well.

Read my posts and show me where I called anyone a racist. The closest I came was saying that all camps have a certain degree of racists, that will vote based solely on color.

I'm waiting for your evidence to back up your claim.

(I won't hold my breath)

You guys are long on accusations.......and very short on facts or support!

huntinman
02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Excuse me.

I asked RK to show me where I called Barbour a racist....and the silence has been deafening. I guess that's his way of conceding that he was WRONG.

Read my posts and show me where I called anyone a racist. The closest I came was saying that all camps have a certain degree of racists, that will vote based solely on color.

(I won't hold my breath)

OK, I can see where I was off on that a little...sorry man. You were more fair than some of the other lefties on the issue. I still don't agree with all your arguments in the thread, but I will concede on this one... how's that?

Marvin S
02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
For a left of center guy, Blackstone comports himself and presents his side very well.

I actually read his entire posts.

RK

Most of us have a game changer in our evaluation of candidates, mine is where they stand on guns & their fiscal policy, but it is guns foremost. This is apparently Blackstones signature issue, regardless of how those of us who have gone beyond that may disagree.

I too, read most of Blackstone's posts. I don't believe him to be that far left of center except on this issue. He posts like a guy you wouldn't mind having as a neighbor & going hunting with except for this little cloud over his head :). You never know when it's going to rain on the parade!!!!!!!

But when you sound like sharpton, jackson, wright, waters in your posts credibility is hard to maintain. Especially when the opposite viewpoint is presented by such as Moynihan, Dr. Thomas Sowell, Colbert King, Bill Cosby, Barbara Jordan & many others who are intellectual heavyweights.

I believe racism to be a moot issue & only useful for accusations to gain ground that an intelligent discussion will not gain. The intelligent discussion showing the point to be indefensible. The American public is not stupid, though the last election made you wonder, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise. We have certainly seen what reckless spending & policy will create, hopefully there are some intelligent enough, with power, to lead the country out of this morass of liberal making. I do believe it will be a long time before the country will be willing to turn the reins over to a person who looks like Blackstone & that is unfortunate as I believe there are those who should be competing for that position.

I judge people by their actions, nothing else. It makes for some interesting relationships when you are able to discuss fully issues where you share a common interest if not the same viewpoint. I believe from reading & evaluating Blackstone's posts that some day he will realize he was overzealous in his approach to this issue.

dnf777
02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
OK, I can see where I was off on that a little...sorry man. You were more fair than some of the other lefties on the issue. I still don't agree with all your arguments in the thread, but I will concede on this one... how's that?

Hey, maybe we can all "just get along" afterall! :D

really, I do try to be careful when crying racist. That is a very powerful word, and without the ability to get into someone's heart and mind....that's a tough one to call. Sometimes one's actions clearly define their intentions, but I haven't seen Haley demonstrate himself to be a racist.

For someone who has political aspirations, and needs to show leadership and connection with different groups of people, I think his comments were insensitive and perhaps a little foolish....but did not rise to racist in my assessment. I'm sure others will feel different...in both directions.

road kill
02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Excuse me.

(I won't hold my breath)

Because I never said you did.

Here is a bulletin: IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!

If you say something worthy of a response, I respond.
But for the other 98% of your posts, I pay little or no attention, just like everybody else.

RK

Marvin S
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Because I never said you did.

Here is a bulletin: IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!

If you say something worthy of a response, I respond.
But for the other 99.98% of your posts, I pay little or no attention, just like everybody else.

RK

Fixed it for You - he posts little worthy of being posted :-P .

dnf777
02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Fixed it for You - he posts little worthy of being posted :-P .

Well, that must be in the 0.02% because both of you felt the need to reply.

Well, here's a direct quote from RK:

Since that was written to me, it implies that I used the word "racist" to denigrate someone.

So YES, you did say that.

(and NO, I didn't call Haley a racist)

Just settin' the record straight. I know that bothers some of you, but that's the way it is.

Edit: I took out the childish laughter that RK often puts in is posts. Don't want to be accused of plagiarism. But I am laughing.

sandyg
02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, that must be in the 0.02% because both of you felt the need to reply.

Well, here's a direct quote from RK:

Since that was written to me, it implies that I used the word "racist" to denigrate someone.

So YES, you did say that.

(and NO, I didn't call Haley a racist)

Just settin' the record straight. I know that bothers some of you, but that's the way it is.

Edit: I took out the childish laughter that RK often puts in is posts. Don't want to be accused of plagiarism. But I am laughing.

RK hit on what is so irritating about you. And that is that you think it's all about you! Reading your posts, they're all I, I, I! At least you don't write in third person (like Bob Dole used to talk). That would really be irritating!

Blackstone
02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Most of us have a game changer in our evaluation of candidates, mine is where they stand on guns & their fiscal policy, but it is guns foremost. This is apparently Blackstones signature issue, regardless of how those of us who have gone beyond that may disagree.

I too, read most of Blackstone's posts. I don't believe him to be that far left of center except on this issue. He posts like a guy you wouldn't mind having as a neighbor & going hunting with except for this little cloud over his head :). You never know when it's going to rain on the parade!!!!!!!

But when you sound like sharpton, jackson, wright, waters in your posts credibility is hard to maintain. Especially when the opposite viewpoint is presented by such as Moynihan, Dr. Thomas Sowell, Colbert King, Bill Cosby, Barbara Jordan & many others who are intellectual heavyweights.

I believe racism to be a moot issue & only useful for accusations to gain ground that an intelligent discussion will not gain. The intelligent discussion showing the point to be indefensible. The American public is not stupid, though the last election made you wonder, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise. We have certainly seen what reckless spending & policy will create, hopefully there are some intelligent enough, with power, to lead the country out of this morass of liberal making. I do believe it will be a long time before the country will be willing to turn the reins over to a person who looks like Blackstone & that is unfortunate as I believe there are those who should be competing for that position.

I judge people by their actions, nothing else. It makes for some interesting relationships when you are able to discuss fully issues where you share a common interest if not the same viewpoint. I believe from reading & evaluating Blackstone's posts that some day he will realize he was overzealous in his approach to this issue.

This is hardly my “signature issue.” There are a number of issues that would cause me to either vote for, or not vote for a candidate. This is but one of them. You may seek to trivialize it, but it isn’t trivial to those it affects negatively. And, when I see a candidate that appears to embrace those kinds of ideas, I cannot support them.

I was not aware Sowell, Cosby, and the other intellectual heavyweights you mentioned had come out in support or defense of Haley Barbour and his comments. Please post that so I can see it. Perhaps it will change my opinion of him.

You have but to look at the Council for Conservative Citizens’ website to see their ideologies, and then look at the number of high ranking politicians that are either members or attend their events to know that racism is not a moot point. These are people whose beliefs can potentially affect the direction of this country. If they believe the same things the Council for Conservative Citizens believes, I don’t want them in charge. That goes for Haley Barbour as well.

I don’t think anyone can deny the Council for Conservative Citizens is a racist organization, and I don’t think anyone can deny Barbour has ties to them. Refusing to vote for him based on that doesn’t make me overzealous. Refusing to acknowledge it and take it into consideration would make me stupid.

dnf777
02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
RK hit on what is so irritating about you. And that is that you think it's all about you! Reading your posts, they're all I, I, I! At least you don't write in third person (like Bob Dole used to talk). That would really be irritating!

Please put me on ignore then. Unlike some others here :rolleyes: I only put forth MY opinion. I don't tell others what they feel or think. Maybe you and a few others should give that a try?

What were you saying about my posts being all "I, I, I"??? Here a sampling of someone you may know....

I am comparing both vehicles equally. The Volt has an IC engine, batteries, and electric motors. Replace the batteries and motors with IC engine based transaxle and you would be money and energy ahead. But then you would have a standard Malibu, not a half-assed electric car.

I know the difference between a tax rebate and a credit (once again, condescending). This is a rebate. Take from my pocket and give to the Volt buyer. Sen. Stabenow (D-MI) has a bill to give the $7500 rebate to the buyer at the time of sale, instead of waiting until this year's tax refund check. I don't think that happened when people bought the first $100 TI calculator in the 1970's.

Look familiar? Hint: it's not 777's words!

Marvin S
02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I was not aware Sowell, Cosby, and the other intellectual heavyweights you mentioned had come out in support or defense of Haley Barbour and his comments. Please post that so I can see it. Perhaps it will change my opinion of him.

I don’t think anyone can deny the Council for Conservative Citizens is a racist organization,

They did not come out in support of anyone. What they said was " the people who look like you are responsible for what happens to the people who look like you. & they need to start doing something about that! The people who look like you are the only one's who can do that." You, meaning all of you who are adults, could start by making sure all your youth who look like you were more responsible in their actions by setting better examples for them to emulate.

IMO, any organization in America that is devoted solely to the perceived governmental need of a group based on nationality is racist. Start with the NAACP as an example. What have they accomplished that has improved the situation as Americans for those whom they claim to be spokespeople for?

Many who post on this forum probably could tell you where they were the recipients of treatment that was not perceived as fair. Most ignore it unless very blatant as it's not worth the effort to bring it to their attention. & eventually that person will get what's coming to them in spades. Your pursuit of this issue tells me you haven't gotten there yet :). & you should think about that!!!!!!!!

& I am looking forward to your comments on "Pigford vs Glickman". ;-)

TxHillHunter
02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey, maybe we can all "just get along" afterall! :D

really, I do try to be careful when crying racist. That is a very powerful word, and without the ability to get into someone's heart and mind....that's a tough one to call. Sometimes one's actions clearly define their intentions, but I haven't seen Haley demonstrate himself to be a racist.

For someone who has political aspirations, and needs to show leadership and connection with different groups of people, I think his comments were insensitive and perhaps a little foolish....but did not rise to racist in my assessment. I'm sure others will feel different...in both directions.

Well said DNF....I can agree with that.

sandyg
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Please put me on ignore then. Unlike some others here :rolleyes: I only put forth MY opinion. I don't tell others what they feel or think. Maybe you and a few others should give that a try?

What were you saying about my posts being all "I, I, I"??? Here a sampling of someone you may know....

I am comparing both vehicles equally. The Volt has an IC engine, batteries, and electric motors. Replace the batteries and motors with IC engine based transaxle and you would be money and energy ahead. But then you would have a standard Malibu, not a half-assed electric car.

I know the difference between a tax rebate and a credit (once again, condescending). This is a rebate. Take from my pocket and give to the Volt buyer. Sen. Stabenow (D-MI) has a bill to give the $7500 rebate to the buyer at the time of sale, instead of waiting until this year's tax refund check. I don't think that happened when people bought the first $100 TI calculator in the 1970's.

Look familiar? Hint: it's not 777's words!

Nice try, completely out of context.

Why don't you go comment on my post #93 on the Revisionism ala Ronald Reagan thread? Scared?

For a doctor you sure waste a lot of time hanging out on POTUS all day. What kind of doctor has that much time on their hands?

TxHillHunter
02-16-2011, 05:46 PM
As I said, the history of the White Citizens Council is well known in MS. He doesn’t need to know 100% of MS’ history to know who they were and what they stood for, especially 40 years later. Bad judgment is a mistake you make once, maybe twice, but not repeatedly.

According to the article I read, the issue of the Council of Conservative Citizens doctrine was pointed out to Barbour by the media once the picture surfaced, and he “refused” to ask them to remove his picture from their website.

It I hard to believe he didn’t know what they stood for when members of the Republican Party were urging Republicans that were members of the Council of Conservative Citizens to renounce their membership because of the organization’s racist views. Barbour was chairman of the Republican National Committee while some of this was going on.

Of course it’s possible, but if I found out about it, I would certainly try to keep them from displaying it publically. If I couldn’t, I would do everything I could to disassociate myself with them. I have had friends and acquaintances I considered to be racists. I let them know I didn’t believe in that. If they persisted, I chose to no longer associate with them.

I do not know if he has given them money. However, support is not only financial. He has appeared at their fund raisers and spoken at their events. That, IMO, is lending your support to them, especially when you are a Governor and former Chair of the Republican Natl. Committee.

No, it makes no sense to me why he would do that, and today's comments on the Nathan Bedford Forrest license plate make it clear to me that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed....especially politically. I can't explain his actions...but I try REAL hard not to judge someone's mind and heart as racist without some concrete action/words that would demonstrate that kind of hatred. That's where my "defense" of his involvement came from.

The license plate thing today may provide some more smoke to your claim, but I'll wait to call him a racist until he displays it in words or deed. I realize your sensitivity is likely higher than mine, and if I were you...I would likely be much the same. To me, his "historical figure" response, etc. got my antenna up....and warrants closer attention to his past, present and future.

I'm glad we can have a reasonable discussion on the topic Blackstone...only way to understand the differences and work toward something better.

dnf777
02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Nice try, completely out of context.

Why don't you go comment on my post #93 on the Revisionism ala Ronald Reagan thread? Scared?

For a doctor you sure waste a lot of time hanging out on POTUS all day. What kind of doctor has that much time on their hands?

Because I read very few of your posts, and I'm sure as he!! not going waste time on old flotsam of yours.

8 colonoscopies and 2 gall bladders before noon. Thankyou for your concern, but I earned my kibble today. I'd ask what YOU do all day, but I really don't care. :-?

huntinman
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=sandyg;751914]Nice try, completely out of context.

For a doctor you sure waste a lot of time hanging out on POTUS all day. What kind of doctor has that much time on their hands?[/QUOTE

Remember the doctor on Seinfeld?

TxHillHunter
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Because I read very few of your posts, and I'm sure as he!! not going waste time on old flotsam of yours.

8 colonoscopies and 2 gall bladders before noon. Thankyou for your concern, but I earned my kibble today. I'd ask what YOU do all day, but I really don't care. :-?

That's a LOT of crap and bile early in the morning! :p

dnf777
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Remember the doctor on Seinfeld?

Really! Don't you think I've tried that already? :cool:

That was a hilarious episode...but I'm afraid that its long enough ago that folks may not remember it....and take that plate the wrong way!

As for your other comment, lets just say I'm not in the mood for a "Mudslide" at the end of the day! :(

(when done properly, a cholecystectomy should not have any bile spillage)

huntinman
02-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Kramer was pretty funny riding around with those plates!

Sundown49 aka Otey B
02-16-2011, 08:10 PM
blackstone, I grew up in MS during the 60's and what went on there was not right no matter what color you were. I was there when a bunch of liberals came and tried to get everything all stirred up. I was raised in a little town of about 750 people that every one knew the others and being as I wasn't from a well to do family I worked along side a diverse bunch. We did not have any problems. Today I can still go down home and still visit my old friends no matter what color they are. This 60's age was a VERY difficult time for everyone in the whole USA You cannot base things on how or what was said about anything back then. There was a lot of bitterness on both sides of the fence. I was not pleased by what I saw during that time I think that most of all race should be left out of any political argument because we are AMERICANS first and foremost and our country is what is important and we ALL have to pull together to get us back on track to being the greatest nation in the world. just my .02 cents worth.

Blackstone
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
blackstone, I grew up in MS during the 60's and what went on there was not right no matter what color you were. I was there when a bunch of liberals came and tried to get everything all stirred up. I was raised in a little town of about 750 people that every one knew the others and being as I wasn't from a well to do family I worked along side a diverse bunch. We did not have any problems. Today I can still go down home and still visit my old friends no matter what color they are. This 60's age was a VERY difficult time for everyone in the whole USA You cannot base things on how or what was said about anything back then. There was a lot of bitterness on both sides of the fence. I was not pleased by what I saw during that time I think that most of all race should be left out of any political argument because we are AMERICANS first and foremost and our country is what is important and we ALL have to pull together to get us back on track to being the greatest nation in the world. just my .02 cents worth.

I understand you point. However, please remember 3 of those liberals that came were murdered for pushing for civil rights in MS, so not everyone felt the way you did.

My concern is not so much about what was said during the 60s. I understand those were different time. I am much more concerned with Barbour’s comments now. The thing referenced in this thread took place as recently as this year. Unlike you, Haley Barbour seems to relish the way things were in the past, and has a history of association with similar groups today. I do not think he has accepted the premise that all Americans are the same and should be treated the same.

Marvin S
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I do not think he has accepted the premise that all Americans are the same and should be treated the same.

Nor have those who expect preferential treatment to be codified!!!!!!!!

Blackstone
02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Nor have those who expect preferential treatment to be codified!!!!!!!!

Funny you should mention that. The following is from the “Statement of Principles” posted on the Council of Conservative Citizens’ website:

“We believe the United States is a European country and that Americans are part of the European people. We believe that the United States derives from and is an integral part of European civilization and the European people and that the American people and government should remain European in their composition and character.”

This is an organization Haley Barbour is associated with. He attended their fund raiser, posed for pictures with them, and his picture was on their website at one time. It would appear to me they feel entitled to preferential treatment. Perhaps electing Barbour would be a step toward reaching their goal.