PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Gunboats To Enter Suez Canal

Franco
02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Israel says that they may act.

Oil over $103. per barrel and climbing.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-16/israel-says-two-iran-gunboats-plan-to-sail-via-suez.html

Is it time to turn the Israelies loose on radical Islam?
Will they get the arms they need from us? The Obama Administration has already cutback on arms to the Israelies. The French are willing to supply them but most of what they have is not compatable with planes or weapons from America.

Since Obama became President, Israel feels like they stand alone against millions of radical Muslims and numerous hostile countries.

Will be abandon our last remaining friend in the middle-east?

M&K's Retrievers
02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Already has.

paul young
02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Israel says that they may act.

Oil over $103. per barrel and climbing.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-16/israel-says-two-iran-gunboats-plan-to-sail-via-suez.html

Is it time to turn the Israelies loose on radical Islam?
Will they get the arms they need from us? The Obama Administration has already cutback on arms to the Israelies. The French are willing to supply them but most of what they have is not compatable with planes or weapons from America.

Since Obama became President, Israel feels like they stand alone against millions of radical Muslims and numerous hostile countries.

Will be abandon our last remaining friend in the middle-east?

to address the RIDICULOUS projected price of $103 per barrell i have to ask when we will rein in the jerks buying and selling oil futures to the entire country's detriment. didn't we learn ANYTHING the last time???? THAT'S what's cranking up the price. the law of supply and demand doesn't apply to oil anymore. we have stepped back in time to the era of the Robber Barons and "all the market will bear".-Paul

Franco
02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
to address the RIDICULOUS projected price of $103 per barrell i have to ask when we will rein in the jerks buying and selling oil futures to the entire country's detriment. didn't we learn ANYTHING the last time???? THAT'S what's cranking up the price. the law of supply and demand doesn't apply to oil anymore. we have stepped back in time to the era of the Robber Barons and "all the market will bear".-Paul

The price per barrel is determined not by the oil producers but the people that buy and sell futures, the speculators.

Two years ago when the price was driven to $157. per barrel, many of those speculators lost thier shirts when they had to pay that price for oil that was worth $80. at delivery time. Likewise, if investors buy futures at $103 per barrel and the price is $125 at delivery, then they make money.

The price is global and how to you rein in speculators from China or India?

Want lower prices, then support more drilling!

M&K's Retrievers
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
?

Want lower prices, then support more drilling!

Franco, for some reason, that concept is hard to sell around here.

BonMallari
02-16-2011, 06:39 PM
gas prices went up .04 cents overnight at the place where I fill up 3.25/gal 89 octane

dnf777
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Because its not valid.

Increased production = lower prices= increased consumption=higher prices

There's an economic eponym for that phenomenon, but its been tested and held true from 19th century coal in Europe.....to modern oil usage.

Franco
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Just remember that 40% of our oil USE to come from the Gulf Of Mexico.

What gets produced in the gulf gets refined in the USA and consumed here.

Everytime we cut production, OPEC is right behind us. Everytime we increase production, OPEC is in lockstep.

Obama and his administration's war on oil drilling in the gulf could well be his Iraq & A'stan.

And Buzz, the last person you would ever get real and reliable information from is a Wall St analysis.

M&K's Retrievers
02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Because its not valid.

Increased production = lower prices= increased consumption=higher prices

There's an economic eponym for that phenomenon, but its been tested and held true from 19th century coal in Europe.....to modern oil usage.

Strange observation, dnf. Consider this: in the last week during the coldest winter in ages, natural gas shortages are everywhere due to increased usage. During this same time natural gas, which is produced here, has dropped from $4.70ish to $3.92 in a little over a week. I guess your "eponym" only applies to oil and 19th century coal. :rolleyes:

Roger Perry
02-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Does anyone really believe that if the world oil prices per barrel is $100 and that more drilling is done in the Gulf or Alaska that the oil companies here would sell their oil for $40 a barrel?

dnf777
02-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Strange observation, dnf. Consider this: in the last week during the coldest winter in ages, natural gas shortages are everywhere due to increased usage. During this same time natural gas, which is produced here, has dropped from $4.70ish to $3.92 in a little over a week. I guess your "eponym" only applies to oil and 19th century coal. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, they don't put natural gas on supertankers and market it on international markets. It is much more a local commodity.

Franco
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Does anyone really believe that if the world oil prices per barrel is $100 and that more drilling is done in the Gulf or Alaska that the oil companies here would sell their oil for $40 a barrel?

I don't ever recall anyone making that assumption on RTF.

Price of oil is global. When worldwide production is cut and there is tension in the middle east, you have a perfect storm skyrocketing cost.

When OPEC sees us cutting production, they take advantage of the situation by cutting thier production.

M&K's Retrievers
02-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Last time I checked, they don't put natural gas on supertankers and market it on international markets. It is much more a local commodity.

Duh! You didn't respond to the fact that increased NG use has led to 25% lower prices in a little over a week. According to you, the price should have risen.

road kill
02-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Once again, the subject has been derailed by a personal argument.

These Iranian gun boats have NO business going thru the Suez.
This is doing nothing but escalating tensions between the Muslim Arabs and the Jews.
Our Muslim Sympathizer in Chief is being challenged and does NOTHING!!!
This is not a challenge to Israel, this is a challenge to Obama.

Not good folks.

RK

dnf777
02-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Duh! You didn't respond to the fact that increased NG use has led to 25% lower prices in a little over a week. According to you, the price should have risen.

In order that we not further tarnish RK's pristine thread and upset the guardian of all that is pious, I will admit that I am totally wrong, and know nothing about energy pricing. You are completely right, and I have no right whatsoever to express other opinions or theories.

My humblest apologies.

road kill
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
In order that we not further tarnish RK's pristine thread and upset the guardian of all that is pious, I will admit that I am totally wrong, and know nothing about energy pricing. You are completely right, and I have no right whatsoever to express other opinions or theories.

My humblest apologies.

Once again, the subject has been derailed by a personal argument.:rolleyes:

Now, back to business......

This is doing nothing but escalating tensions between the Muslim Arabs and the Jews.

Not good folks.

RK

paul young
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Once again, the subject has been derailed by a personal argument.:rolleyes:

Now, back to business......

Not good folks.

RK
http://www.feedstep.com/rel_1573678_No_Iran_Warships_Set_to_Enter_Suez_Can al_Egypt_Says.aspx

apparently, they have decided not to.-Paul

road kill
02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.feedstep.com/rel_1573678_No_Iran_Warships_Set_to_Enter_Suez_Can al_Egypt_Says.aspx

apparently, they have decided not to.-Paul

Does anyone ever wonder WTH is going on over there??:confused:

stan b

paul young
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Does anyone ever wonder WTH is going on over there??:confused:

stan b

every single day, Stan.

my observations lead me to believe that Muslim politicians have to try to convince the world of their bravado incessantly and that they seem to have an extremely hard time telling the truth.-Paul

paul young
02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
on a separate note, i believe the lifespan of the entire Iranian navy would be measured in hours if a conflict erupted. control of the Suez would not be an issue.

oil futures traders are the only ones to gain from Iran's posturing.-Paul

road kill
02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
on a separate note, i believe the lifespan of the entire Iranian navy would be measured in hours if a conflict erupted. control of the Suez would not be an issue.

You and I agree on that.

I think Israel is primened and ready to resolve these issues in a timely fashion.
They show remarkable restraint.

stan b

dnf777
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
every single day, Stan.

my observations lead me to believe that Muslim politicians have to try to convince the world of their bravado incessantly and that they seem to have an extremely hard time telling the truth.-Paul

That is key to ever being able to understand and deal with that part of the world.

When I was in Riyadh, S.A., I had a very difficult time understanding their culture of interaction. By that I mean they have NO PROBLEM looking you in the eye, smiling, and lying through their teeth. Then, when called, they just as cheerfully admit they were lying, in a non-ashamed way, and carry on like nothing happened. I dealt with this several times in King Fahd hospital with Saudi security guards. Its like lying is nothing to be frowned upon. Its a negotiating tool used freely, and if you don't catch it, shame on YOU.

While I didn't come close to figuring out their culture or customs....I gained a profound appreciation of our LACK of understanding of their culture.

While we deal with many countries with whom we disagree, usually you can at least see their warped logic or reasons for doing things. Ain't so with that part of the world. This thread, case in point.

road kill
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
That is key to ever being able to understand and deal with that part of the world.

When I was in Riyadh, S.A., I had a very difficult time understanding their culture of interaction. By that I mean they have NO PROBLEM looking you in the eye, smiling, and lying through their teeth. Then, when called, they just as cheerfully admit they were lying, in a non-ashamed way, and carry on like nothing happened. I dealt with this several times in King Fahd hospital with Saudi security guards. Its like lying is nothing to be frowned upon. Its a negotiating tool used freely, and if you don't catch it, shame on YOU.
While I didn't come close to figuring out their culture or customs....I gained a profound appreciation of our LACK of understanding of their culture.

While we deal with many countries with whom we disagree, usually you can at least see their warped logic or reasons for doing things. Ain't so with that part of the world. This thread, case in point.

Much like American politicians today.:D

Just sayin'......

RK

badbullgator
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Check again champ ;-)

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=4126367&sponsor (http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=4126367&sponsor)

http://omaha.com/article/20110131/MONEY/701319981 (http://omaha.com/article/20110131/MONEY/701319981)

It is also shipped overseas from other countries.

dnf777
02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Check again champ ;-)

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=4126367&sponsor (http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=4126367&sponsor)

http://omaha.com/article/20110131/MONEY/701319981 (http://omaha.com/article/20110131/MONEY/701319981)

It is also shipped overseas from other countries.

Interesting. Sounds like its still largely in planning phases, but could go full scale. It just goes to show that energy companies will sell us and our energy independence out the window to make an extra buck. Not surprised there.

The one line that jumped out at me, and I totally agree with is from T. Boone Pickens:

"We are going to go down as the dumbest generation ever if we don't put those reserves to work domestically and use it as a clean, abundant, domestic alternative to OPEC oil."

So what do the energy conglomerates want to do? Sell it overseas!

Uncle Bill
02-17-2011, 10:26 AM

That is something we can all agree with, Paul. When I started reading this thread, I had to chuckle with the oxymoron of "Iranian Gunships". One US drone properly armed could probably handle their entire 'fleet'... not that the Israelis would need any assistance.

It's my guess, however, should the Iranians be so ignorant as to chance this idea, the Israeli military wouldn't stop at knocking out a few 'gunships'. They would implement knocking out the leadership that sent them...THEN all hell will break loose.

UB

dnf777
02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
I had to chuckle with the oxymoron of "Iranian Gunships". One US drone properly armed could probably handle their entire 'fleet'... not that the Israelis would need any assistance.

UB

I can just hear our admiral arguing with the Israeli admiral over who needs "target practice" more......

I would say "fish in a barrel" regards....
But shooting fish would probably be much more difficult.

badbullgator
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Interesting. Sounds like its still largely in planning phases, but could go full scale. It just goes to show that energy companies will sell us and our energy independence out the window to make an extra buck. Not surprised there.

The one line that jumped out at me, and I totally agree with is from T. Boone Pickens:

"We are going to go down as the dumbest generation ever if we don't put those reserves to work domestically and use it as a clean, abundant, domestic alternative to OPEC oil."

So what do the energy conglomerates want to do? Sell it overseas!

Only in in the planning stages in Alaska.

Liquefied Natural Gas
Qatar is the world’s leading LNG exporter. In 2009, Qatar exported nearly 1,800 Bcf of LNG. Japan, South Korea, and India were the primary destinations for Qatar’s LNG exports, accounting for about 57 percent in 2009. European markets including Belgium, the United Kingdom and Spain were also significant buyers of Qatari LNG, accounting for an additional 33 percent.

Russia is the leader in LNG exports.

dnf777
02-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Only in in the planning stages in Alaska.

Liquefied Natural Gas
Qatar is the world’s leading LNG exporter. In 2009, Qatar exported nearly 1,800 Bcf of LNG. Japan, South Korea, and India were the primary destinations for Qatar’s LNG exports, accounting for about 57 percent in 2009. European markets including Belgium, the United Kingdom and Spain were also significant buyers of Qatari LNG, accounting for an additional 33 percent.

Russia is the leader in LNG exports.

Hey, if we're sitting on a butt-load of it estimated to meet our needs for over 100 years........why aren't we retooling Detroit to get off of oil???

Save liquid petroleum for things that are nowhere near alternative fuel, such as jetliners.

BrianW
02-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I can just hear our admiral arguing with the Israeli admiral over who needs "target practice" more......

I would say "fish in a barrel" regards....
But shooting fish would probably be much more difficult.

I've been concerned about control of the Suez ever since this "upheaval" started. Though theoretically controlled by international treaties, it wouldn't be the first time that a new regime said "all prior negotiation(s) with the previous criminal, illegitimate repressor of the people are now null & void". Look at Venezuel under Chavez. And if the Suez Canal Authority suddenly became The Islamic People's Canal Council, what would the world really do about it?
Wring their hands and call for constructive dialogue?

Shoot that "fish" and maybe the frigate grounds itself in of the single lanes of the canal or does some other damage to the bridge or other canal infrastructure and let's see how quickly traffic backs up & prices surge.

Buzz
02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Save liquid petroleum for things that are nowhere near alternative fuel, such as jetliners.

Oil is too valuable to burn for transportation anyhow. Can you imagine doing your job without plastics?

Hew
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Shoot that "fish" and maybe the frigate grounds itself in of the single lanes of the canal or does some other damage to the bridge or other canal infrastructure and let's see how quickly traffic backs up & prices surge.
Moreover, whatever starts in the Suez will soon enough spill over into the Persian Gulf where I believe even more oil passes through or originates than the Suez. The Iranians are not exactly fish in the Persian Gulf and have demonstrated the ability and capacity to affect the world's flow of oil.