PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Speed Rail

road kill
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Could one of you progressives explain your fascination with this??

RK

code3retrievers
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Could one of you progressives explain your fascination with this??

RK

Not a progressive but, it costs a lot, no one will ride it, it will not pay for itself, and Europe has some.

That's probably enough reasons for most progressives.

huntinman
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Also not a lib, but just another scheme to get us out of our cars...

troy schwab
02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Every high speed rail investment by any country has LOST money...... simple enough reason for the progressives.........LOL

starjack
02-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Instead of putting our money into this why not put it in our roads and our electrical enfrastucture?

BrianW
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Govt funding (ie taxpayer's $'s) + union construction, maintenance & operation = redistribution of wealth/ goal of progressives.

huntinman
02-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Seems that none of the MOTR's want to weigh in on this one. can't say that I blame them...

Marvin S
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Just had a request to the taxpayers to subsidize the county bus service fail 45%-55%. They were already getting 80% of their funding from the taxpayers & wanted to increase that.

Among the perks of being a transit employee was an auto 5% a year raise plus steps????????????? The thing that amazes me is 45% thought that to be OK!! We live in a strange place in strange times with a lot of people who are financially illiterate :o.

dnf777
02-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Seems that none of the MOTR's want to weigh in on this one. can't say that I blame them...

You're right huntingman. This MOTR likes investment in education, innovation, and infrastructure...but don't think the cost/benefit of HSR is viable right now. Not to mention, unlike airplanes, you must safeguard every inch of rail and every bridge from terrorist manipulation. Any yahoo with a crackerbox welder and a chunk of angleiron could lay waste to a bullet train and all aboard.

Now, for a moment, lets change the name of this thread to Iraq War, and see what the "right of center's" fascination is? The HSR called for 34 billion. We spent that in ONE MONTH in Iraq. Oh, make that two months...don't want to exaggerate. ;)

luvmylabs23139
02-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Just had a request to the taxpayers to subsidize the county bus service fail 45%-55%. They were already getting 80% of their funding from the taxpayers & wanted to increase that.

Among the perks of being a transit employee was an auto 5% a year raise plus steps????????????? The thing that amazes me is 45% thought that to be OK!! We live in a strange place in strange times with a lot of people who are financially illiterate :o.

That 45% are the ones that pay no taxes and are using the county bus service at the actual taxpayers expense.

Blackstone
02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Any form of mass transit has never been popular in this country. People here love their cars too much. Besides, how would I take 6 dogs hunting on a train?

M&K's Retrievers
02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Any form of mass transit has never been popular in this country. People here love their cars too much. Besides, how would I take 6 dogs hunting on a train?

Americans are independent. Mass transit will never be popular here. We all want our "horse" when we want it, to go where we want to go, when we want to go.

Granddaddy
02-18-2011, 07:30 AM
That 45% are the ones that pay no taxes and are using the county bus service at the actual taxpayers expense.

Exactly! But that is the Obama/progressive plan - to get a majority of the electorate taken care of by the government. It's why giving illegal aliens' citizenship & the right to vote is a major part of his plan.

Our country's founders stated if such ever happened, our democratic republic would fail. That is why our founders put in safe guards to voting like property ownership.

badbullgator
02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Our governor just rejected the federal funding (2B) for our state and I could not be happier. In the end it would have cost the state an additional 3 BILLION to complete. The idea was to build a HSR from Tampa to Orlando. The problem is the drive from Tampa to Orlando is an hour and the time it would take by HSR is not much less. Florida is a state that you almost HAVE to have a car to get around in and most everyone does. By the time you park, pay for parking, get to your destination, find transportation to wherever you need to go once you get there…it is not worth the time and cost. Then you have to get back on and go home. Most tourist come to Orlando for the theme parks and have NO interest in going to Tampa. With few exceptions it is cheaper to fly into Orlando so I don’t think there are a bunch of tourist that will want to fly to Tampa and take a train to Orlando. Oh and BTW…..Florida voters voted against the HSR a few years back, but you know they were just wrong and didn’t know it I guess….. Lucky for us one of our senators (Nelson (D)) is still going to do everything he can to shove this down our throats because he knows the greater good of throwing money away even if the people don’t

Blackstone
02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Americans are independent. Mass transit will never be popular here. We all want our "horse" when we want it, to go where we want to go, when we want to go.

And, as far as I'm concerned, that is the way it should be!