02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Silver has hit a 30 year high.
I hate to be an "I told ya so" --- but :cool:

Uncle Bill
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Silver has hit a 30 year high.
I hate to be an "I told ya so" --- but :cool:

Are you still buying, Doc?

It's hard to keep that $4 stuff in the safe, but where else would you put it?

Same is true with my $350 AU. Would be nice to take some profits, but what would I do with the paper? Too old to get back into 'playing' the nasdaq again. And the farm commodities are far too volatile for me to keep tabs on. The energys are equally so. I'm just not that nimble anymore.

Good luck to you. This is going to be a real rollar coaster ride.

UB

dnf777
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I can still hear Burle Ives singing "Silver and Gold"....

good advice even back then

BonMallari
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
my sister worked for the Hunt Bros. in DFW back when Nelson and his brother William tried to corner the silver market in the late 70's, they made a ton of money and gave big bonuses to all the clerical staff at the time...

Uncle Bill
02-18-2011, 01:49 PM
my sister worked for the Hunt Bros. in DFW back when Nelson and his brother William tried to corner the silver market in the late 70's, they made a ton of money and gave big bonuses to all the clerical staff at the time...

I have to LOL when I read this reminder of those times. I was in the Lariat clothing store having owner Mick Mudlin outfit my dad with a western outfit, and a new Stetson. We had come in early so we were astounded when a couple of SD School of Mines students come screeching to a halt in front of the store, jump out and dash into the store and stop at the 'jewelry' counter. They breathlessly bought all of Mick's big buckles, torquoise/siver bracelets and necklaces, even his silver tipped leather slip ties so popular among western wear folks.

We asked if they were outfitting some "dudes". They laughed, and said they can make a bundle on melting down the silver in the jewelry, and sell it on the spot metal market. At the time, the Hunt's, much like the day traders in oil today, had run the price of silver to almost $50/ounce.

Unfortunately for the Hunt brothers, they weren't successful, and ended up losing a bundle, but it was an exciting time to be in the precious metals game.

UB

Goose
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
When does $.25 equal $5.90:)

Doc E
02-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Are you still buying, Doc?

It's hard to keep that $4 stuff in the safe, but where else would you put it?

Same is true with my $350 AU. Would be nice to take some profits, but what would I do with the paper?

This is going to be a real rollar coaster ride.

UB

UB

I'm 67 years old, but still working (28 hours a week), so most of my investing days are over. Just waiting to start spending some of my retirement money when I decide to actually quit working (might be awhile though -- I'm still enjoying being at the office and we have a lot of fun there too). If I was young and looking to invest, I'd definitely be putting money into Silver, even at today's prices.

I was looking at some of our $1.75 Sterling and $66 AU last night.

Gold has basically just held it's own against the us $ (and I think that will continue). Silver has definitely been (and will continue to be) the best investment. Personally, I see Silver being $45 to $50 within a couple years, so there's still time to make $15 to $20 an ounce
(can you say 50% interest for a two year investment? Hard to find an investment better than that).

I might just have to start selling some then. If you cash in your metal, you need to buy something material (or take a trip or something) with it fairly fast. The paper is becoming more worthless by the minute.

A few months ago, one of my employees asked me where she should put a little of her retirement money. I suggested Silver. She bought two Kilos ---- She thinks I'm a genious :o.

Uncle Bill
02-19-2011, 11:27 AM
When does $.25 equal $5.90:)

Are you talking a Kennedy pre-65 quarter perchance? That's my guess. Wish I would have held my Kennedy quarters, but sold them a few years ago when silver had a run up to $20. Forget why exactly, but must have needed the cash at the time.

Also got rid of a batch of Kuggerands. Got worried they might be targeted for confiscation down the road, but should have held them also, or traded them for Maple Leafs...or US Eagles. That's all I'm holding today. They are about as liquid as any paper today.

UB

Goose
02-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Are you talking a Kennedy pre-65 quarter perchance? That's my guess. Wish I would have held my Kennedy quarters, but sold them a few years ago when silver had a run up to $20. Forget why exactly, but must have needed the cash at the time.

Also got rid of a batch of Kuggerands. Got worried they might be targeted for confiscation down the road, but should have held them also, or traded them for Maple Leafs...or US Eagles. That's all I'm holding today. They are about as liquid as any paper today.

UB

You are correct, sir but I believe it's pre-64. Those little babies are 90% silver so don't take them down to the CoinStar machine for cash! (speaking of coinstar...they charge something like 9% to count coins!!!)

Sadly, I think the government will make it illegal to own precious metals like gold and silver once Obama completes his mission of debauching the currency.

We live in Cuba now.

Marvin S
02-19-2011, 01:01 PM
A few months ago, one of my employees asked me where she should put a little of her retirement money. I suggested Silver. She bought two Kilos ---- She thinks I'm a genious :o.

Working if you enjoy what you do is good for you. I still sell at the Farmers markets & a few select shows. Enjoy the type of people who are there. A few years back saw a Irish conglomerate that did pharma research priced @$1.125, bought a lot as did my oldest son. Went to $30 in 3 years, sold the majority of it, hard to beat that for a quick return. Still sits around $6.

UB

UB - I have around 20 pounds of assorted old siver coins including about 140 AG $. They sit in my SD box as I don't need the cash. My take is AG is an industrial metal, while AU is decorative, as the price increases more collections will hit the melting pot to dampen price appreciation. I don't see it ever hitting Hunt ($70) country, though that would be nice & I would probably sell then.

Doc E
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Opened at $47.44 this morming.

Goose
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Opened at $47.44 this morming.

Silver (and gold) to Obama, keynesians, Chairsatan BerNank and Turbo Timmay's budget proposals and money printing schemes......f.u. I have no doubt they will eventually try to make it illegal to own either of the pm's. Come on down and try to take it, chumps.

We live in Cuba now.