PDA

View Full Version : Census Shows Minorities Outnumber Whites in Texas

Roger Perry
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Thursday, February 17, 2011 | 3:20 p.m.

Updated at 6:20 p.m. on February 17.

Texas is a majority-minority state for the first time in a redistricting period, according to just-released census data, a fact that could complicate Republicans’ hopes for a partisan gerrymander—and make the state competitive for Democrats in future years.
Whites now account for just 45 percent of the state's population, down from 52 percent a decade ago. The Hispanic population is now 38 percent of the total population—growing by 42 percent—while the African-American population grew slightly and is now 12 percent of the total population. The state gained four congressional seats in reapportionment, largely due to minority growth: Almost 90 percent of the state's growth was from minorities

http://www.nationaljournal.com/census-shows-minorities-outnumber-whites-in-texas-20110217

Cody Covey
02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Thursday, February 17, 2011 | 3:20 p.m.

Updated at 6:20 p.m. on February 17.

Texas is a majority-minority state for the first time in a redistricting period, according to just-released census data, a fact that could complicate Republicans’ hopes for a partisan gerrymander—and make the state competitive for Democrats in future years.
Whites now account for just 45 percent of the state's population, down from 52 percent a decade ago. The Hispanic population is now 38 percent of the total population—growing by 42 percent—while the African-American population grew slightly and is now 12 percent of the total population. The state gained four congressional seats in reapportionment, largely due to minority growth: Almost 90 percent of the state's growth was from minorities

http://www.nationaljournal.com/census-shows-minorities-outnumber-whites-in-texas-20110217Does that mean if I move to texas I now qualify for affirmative action?

No probably not~

road kill
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Could someone explain to me how a "minority" can out number the majority????

Wouldn't that make them the majority?

Just askin'.........

RK

Buzz
02-18-2011, 07:05 PM
ha ha ha ha ha.

HA ha ha ha ha.

HA HA ha ha ha.

and so on...

Roger Perry
02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Could someone explain to me how a "minority" can out number the majority????

Wouldn't that make them the majority?

Just askin'.........

RK

Yeah, the people that were in the minority at the last census are now in the majority which means that there are more Mexicans and African Americans in Texas now than there are white people. There are not more Mexicans in Texas than White people and there are not more African Americans in Texas than White people but together they outnumber White people.

Buzz
02-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the people that were in the minority at the last census are now in the majority which means that there are more Mexicans and African Americans in Texas now than there are white people. There are not more Mexicans in Texas than White people and there are not more African Americans in Texas than White people but together they outnumber White people.

Roger, you might want to give that another shot. I think ya got a little mixed up half way through that statement.

BonMallari
02-19-2011, 03:44 AM
a true Texan cares more about if you are a loyal citizen to the United States and the state of Texas, than the color or tint of your skin or what ethnic box you checked on the census;)

TxHillHunter
02-19-2011, 06:30 AM
a true Texan cares more about if you are a loyal citizen to the United States and the state of Texas, than the color or tint of your skin or what ethnic box you checked on the census;)

Here, here!

But we also care if you are a LEGAL citizen of the United States! ;)

road kill
02-19-2011, 06:36 AM
ha ha ha ha ha.

HA ha ha ha ha.

HA HA ha ha ha.

and so on...

Pithy!!!;-)

RK

Franco
02-19-2011, 08:19 AM
"The Last Discovery Of America", is a great read for anyone interested in the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rodriguez#Browning_of_America

charly_t
02-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I believe that this last census count showed that Hispanics outnumbered ( or equaled ) the Native Americans in Oklahoma now. Interesting numbers all in all.

subroc
02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Roger, you might want to give that another shot. I think ya got a little mixed up half way through that statement.

I would say Roger is just a bit mixed up. no need to associate that with any statement at all really.

HPL
02-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Here, here!

Ditto!

I wonder how much of that huge increase in hispanic growth is illegal. Their presence should have little effect on redistricting.

TxHillHunter
02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Ditto!

I wonder how much of that huge increase in hispanic growth is illegal. Their presence should have little effect on redistricting.

We will likely never know the answer to that, but we'll feel it in many ways other than redistricting.

BTW- Gig Em!

BrianW
02-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Here, here!

Just lookin at the Census form
http://www.census.gov/schools/pdf/2010form_info.pdf
and I only see " The Census must count every person living in the United States on April 1, 2010. "
I don't see anything about a question 11. Is/Are Person(s) 1-12 living in the United States legally?
That could have an effect on "(making) the state competitive for Democrats in future years" couldn't it? ;)

TxHillHunter
02-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Just lookin at the Census form
http://www.census.gov/schools/pdf/2010form_info.pdf
and I only see " The Census must count every person living in the United States on April 1, 2010. "
I don't see anything about a question 11. Is/Are Person(s) 1-12 living in the United States legally?
That could have an effect on "(making) the state competitive for Democrats in future years" couldn't it? ;)

It could, but minimal IMO. They ARE counted in many cases; although census workers routinely tell stories about knocking on a door, seeing people inside who don't answer the door. Can't imagine why a person here illegally wouldn't send a questionnaire back to the government or answer the door for someone with a clipboard... ha!

It's still pretty hard for them to vote fraudulently, so I would think the party "split" of any given zip code, precinct, etc is determined largely without impact from illegals.

huntinman
02-21-2011, 09:34 AM
It could, but minimal IMO. They ARE counted in many cases; although census workers routinely tell stories about knocking on a door, seeing people inside who don't answer the door. Can't imagine why a person here illegally wouldn't send a questionnaire back to the government or answer the door for someone with a clipboard... ha!

It's still pretty hard for them to vote fraudulently, so I would think the party "split" of any given zip code, precinct, etc is determined largely without impact from illegals.

:confused: MN,WA,OR,IL,NV and any number of other states might beg to differ.