PDA

View Full Version : high gas prices

pat addis
02-20-2011, 08:10 AM
after filling up my truck and 4 wheeler at a cost of 100 dollars it got me thinking how come the last time gas was this high every one was screaming about bush and chaney giving all their oil friends special deals and getting kick backs.now gas is up and going higher and not a peep. lets be fair and at least discuess the golden ones blame for shutting off drilling in the gulf

Franco
02-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I would expect a whole slew of drilling permits to be issued 60-90 days prior to the next election. That way they can claim that they have stepped up domestic production.

The current administration promise of redistribution of wealth where the Arabs and Persians get richer and we become poorer.

Roger Perry
02-20-2011, 09:14 AM
after filling up my truck and 4 wheeler at a cost of 100 dollars it got me thinking how come the last time gas was this high every one was screaming about bush and chaney giving all their oil friends special deals and getting kick backs.now gas is up and going higher and not a peep. lets be fair and at least discuess the golden ones blame for shutting off drilling in the gulf
Most of the reasons gas prices were high during the Bush/Cheney administration was because of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Gas prices are going up because of the unrest in the Middle East not because of not drilling more in the gulf of mexico. If we are paying higher prices for oil that we get from the countries over seas then why do the oil companies here get the same amount for a barrel of oil produced here? The cost of shipping oil from Saudie Arabia on oil tankers to the United States must cost alot more than getting oil to the refineries from the Gulf don't you think?

I don't like paying $100 to fill up my tank anymore than you do. Before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan started I could fill my gas tank for $30.

Buzz
02-20-2011, 10:36 AM
You guys crack me up...

Oil and Gas: Prices Not Stable in the U.S.
By Rachel McCain - February 20, 2011 11:25 AM
Oil and Gas: Prices Not Stable in the U.S.

As fighting continues in the Middle East, gas prices continue to increase in the United States.

Those who planned to travel over the three-day Presidentís Day holiday weekend found that gas prices were about 54 cents higher than they were this time last year. A year ago around this time, the cost of a gallon of regular gasoline ranged nationally from $2.958 to $3.752.

According to AAA, Wright Express and the Oil Price Information Service, on Friday, the national average for a gallon of regular gasoline was $3.156.

Nevertheless, prices for oil seemed to decrease. According to the New York Mercantile Exchange, light sweet crude oil dropped 16 cents to $86.20 per barrel, and Brent North Sea crude on Londonís ICE Futures exchange dropped 7 cents to $102.52 per barrel.

However, the civil unrest in countries such as Yemen, Bahrain, and Egypt may have an effect on oil coming from the Middle East to Europe as well as North America.

According to the Associated Press:

"With a long weekend ahead of them, traders were concerned that they could return on Tuesday to a world that could conceivably be changed from the one left behind," said analysts at U.S. energy consultancy Cameron Hanover.

Read more: http://www.thirdage.com/news/oil-and-gas-prices-not-stable-us_2-20-2011#ixzz1EW9b4m2A

Franco
02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Lets don't forget that OPEC didn't cut production until the US was forced by the administration to cut production!

If the Iranians try and slip those two ships through the Suez later today, look for gas to go skyhigh.

Roger Perry
02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Lets don't forget that OPEC didn't cut production until the US was forced by the administration to cut production!

If the Iranians try and slip those two ships through the Suez later today, look for gas to go skyhigh.

Again it all has to do with the unrest in the Middle East. You just made my point.

Franco
02-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Again it all has to do with the unrest in the Middle East. You just made my point.

And, if a war breaks out and oil is held up, where do you propose to get OUR oil from?

You just made my point!

If oil can't be imported and the Gulf Of Mexico is being severly limited in production, a gasoline crisis in the USA can be directly linked to the Obama Administration!

ppro
02-21-2011, 06:15 AM
I am sure our good friend Hugo Chavez will be willing to supply us at reasonable costs.

ppro
02-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Or possibly Petrobras and George Soros. We have many knew friends don't worry be happy.

road kill
02-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Most of the reasons gas prices were high during the Bush/Cheney administration was because of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Gas prices are going up because of the unrest in the Middle East not because of not drilling more in the gulf of mexico. If we are paying higher prices for oil that we get from the countries over seas then why do the oil companies here get the same amount for a barrel of oil produced here? The cost of shipping oil from Saudie Arabia on oil tankers to the United States must cost alot more than getting oil to the refineries from the Gulf don't you think?

I don't like paying $100 to fill up my tank anymore than you do. Before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan started I could fill my gas tank for $30.

Before the Viet Nam war, I could fill my tank for $5.00.

SO?????:rolleyes:

Totally irrelevant regards..........

RK

Roger Perry
02-21-2011, 06:49 AM
[quote=Roger Perry;754530]

And, if a war breaks out and oil is held up, where do you propose to get OUR oil from?

You just made my point!

If oil can't be imported and the Gulf Of Mexico is being severly limited in production, a gasoline crisis in the USA can be directly linked to the Obama Administration!

The U.S. was never self sufficent on the amount of oil we produced under any U.S. President and we never will. We import approximately 66% of the oil we use.

Ken Bora
02-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Guys,
Say for example I make Pure Vermont Maple Syrup. (and I do)
And Ahab the Arab (Ray Stevens 1962) makes another type of Syrup.
And then say for example the government prevents me from drilling
Holes in my trees. Limiting my production capability. I will charge as
Much as I am able so I can make all the $$$ that I can with the limited holes
I am allowed to use. Ahab will closely monitor the price I am getting.
He will then charge just the same +/- a few cents because he wants to
Make the same $$$ I am. If I am able to drill as many holes as I want
or can handle in my personal operation. I will have more product and will
lower my price so I may sell it all. Ahab will see that and lower his price.
If he does not everyone will buy from me and he will be unable to buy
His child that new camel he wants. It is so simple a tree hugger can
Figger it out.

Franco
02-21-2011, 07:07 AM
[quote=Franco;754541]

The U.S. was never self sufficent on the amount of oil we produced under any U.S. President and we never will. We import approximately 66% of the oil we use.

That is an old figure. In the last year, oil production in the gulf has been cut by more than 60%. We are now importing more than 80% of our oil!

Goose
02-21-2011, 08:40 AM
It's a great day to be importing so much of our oil from the middle east with Muammar Gaddafi killing Libyans left and right. Crude is up, Brent is up, gold is up, silver is up and nobody over there can buy groceries because all we know how to do is print money and further the genocide. I guess it's no big deal...who needs Libyans anyway, right? I can't wait for $5 gas and $10 bread. I'm sure Muammar Obama and Muammar Salazar won't let that happen and will finally decide that what's best for this country is to drill for our very own oil on both coasts, Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe they'll throw in nat gas, nuke energy and coal, too.

We live in Cuba now.

ducknwork
02-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Guys,
Figger it out.

You know that analogy makes waaaay too much sense for this place. What are you thinking?:rolleyes:

Roger Perry
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Guys,
Figger it out.

I don't see the oil companies here charging less for a barrel of oil they produce here even though the cost of transporting the oil to refineries here costs alot less than importing it on tankers from the middle east or Venezuela.

The only thing the oil companies here want is to make the most money they can and not cut their profits by lowering their price they get paid for a barrel of oil even if they could produce more.

Have you seen the profits these oil companies make?

sinner
02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
From The Spectulators: Greed!

huntinman
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Drill Baby Drill.... Drill Here, Drill Now... Come on Roger, you can say it:cool:

starjack
02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't see the oil companies here charging less for a barrel of oil they produce here even though the cost of transporting the oil to refineries here costs alot less than importing it on tankers from the middle east or Venezuela.

The only thing the oil companies here want is to make the most money they can and not cut their profits by lowering their price they get paid for a barrel of oil even if they could produce more.

Rog i almost agree withyou:o But there are little things called regulation we have to deal with. Also like Ken said we only have so many hole we have to charge the same. BTW I will gladly pay the same from our country than give it to the middle east.

sandyg
02-22-2011, 05:01 PM

1. The price of crude doesn't include shipping and handling.
2. Crude is a fungible commodity. Oil companies don't need to cut their price to sell more. What's still in the ground is only going up in value.
3. Profit is relative. Looking at it as a percentage of sales it's not excessive.

Goose
02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I saw gas well above $3 today at three different stations and no doubt it will go much higher after crude's melt-up. No energy independence thanks to the enviromentalists and leftists with revolution in the middle east thanks to the keynesians and central bankers.

Enviromentalists and leftists and keynesians...what an unholy trinity. Where's my flame thrower? We are so FUBAR'd in this country thanks to Barack.

We live in Cuba now.

Franco
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Something is going on in Washington DC in regards to drilling.

We have had seven large oilfield companies place recruitment advertising with us since yesterday.

One problem is much of the large equipemnt has left the gulf area for other parts of the world. There is an extreme shortage of workboats as they have been dispersed as well.

One shipyard is offering $30 per hour, double overtime and full benefits for welders and fitters.

It will take months to get the area up to full capacity for production.

Must be some permits coming down the pike.

Buzz
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
1. The price of crude doesn't include shipping and handling.
2. Crude is a fungible commodity. Oil companies don't need to cut their price to sell more. What's still in the ground is only going up in value.
3. Profit is relative. Looking at it as a percentage of sales it's not excessive.

In that case, we should drill it all and burn every last drop of ours. Then we'll be completely at the mercy of those who still have some. We'll have sold all of ours cheap, then we'll pay top dollar.

Buzz
02-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Something is going on in Washington DC in regards to drilling.

We have had seven large oilfield companies place recruitment advertising with us since yesterday.

One problem is much of the large equipemnt has left the gulf area for other parts of the world. There is an extreme shortage of workboats as they have been dispersed as well.

One shipyard is offering $30 per hour, double overtime and full benefits for welders and fitters.

It will take months to get the area up to full capacity for production.

Must be some permits coming down the pike.

So, you're saying that the article I posted about more drilling ships and rigs in the gulf since the disaster down there is incorrect.

Franco
02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
So, you're saying that the article I posted about more drilling ships and rigs in the gulf since the disaster down there is incorrect.

If they are down here, then where are they?

The pressure is on Obama to issue new drilling permits. Getting back up to the capacity we had a year ago doesn't happen overnight. It will take many months.

Like I said, workboats are nowhere to be found. Same for deep water rigs and many of the experienced hands are working in Saudi Arabia for ARAMCO. I' sure they will be more than happy to come home.

The USA was the world's third largest producer of oil, behind Russia and Saudi Arabia. Owners of the equipment, ships etc are not going to let thier inventory sit around idle when they can lease it to other companies drilling in other countries.

P S

Like I said on the other thread, reading articles written by Wall St analysis is folley. They have no more of an idea of what reality is than the man on the moon. Just this morning I was reading how favorable a Wall St firm was on a broadcast merger that happened last Friday by two of the worse run outfits in the biz. The writter was totally clueless. Obviously they had some stake in the merger but as someone in the industry, my advice would be to sell as quickly and run for the hills!

sandyg
02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
In that case, we should drill it all and burn every last drop of ours. Then we'll be completely at the mercy of those who still have some. We'll have sold all of ours cheap, then we'll pay top dollar.

Have you been sniffing paint fumes? Your comment makes no sense at all. You must be a lib or MOTRI.

Buzz
02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Have you been sniffing paint fumes? Your comment makes no sense at all. You must be a lib or MOTRI.

Sheesh, what's a guy to do? All I did was agree with the drill-baby-drill crowd, and I get called stupid for it.

Uncle Bill
02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Sheesh, what's a guy to do? All I did was agree with the drill-baby-drill crowd, and I get called stupid for it.

Look up the words condescension, patronizing, or for that matter, snide. When you or any of your lib buddies agree with a conservative view, we all know where you are coming from.

And as I read it, YOU are the only one calling you 'stupid'...but if the shoe fits.....

UB

Jason Glavich
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Guys,
Figger it out.

Or he could by all your product and sell all the syrup for a higher price than yours and his combined...:p

Goose
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
And as the price of oil rapidly approaches $100 can anybody guess who said the following today:

"The economy is in a much stronger position to handle rising oil prices. Central banks have a lot of experience in managing these things" and "The economy is gradually getting stronger, I wouldn't get carried away with it"

Anybody want to guess which of Obama's economic sodomists said it? My gosh...we are so freaking doomed with this crew of leftists in charge.

We live in Cuba now.

huntinman
02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
And as the price of oil rapidly approaches $100 can anybody guess who said the following today:

"The economy is in a much stronger position to handle rising oil prices. Central banks have a lot of experience in managing these things" and "The economy is gradually getting stronger, I wouldn't get carried away with it"

Anybody want to guess which of Obama's economic sodomists said it? My gosh...we are so freaking doomed with this crew of leftists in charge.

We live in Cuba now.

Geithner??

Buzz
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Geithner??

That would be my guess.

His position in the cabinet is my biggest beef with Obama.

Goose
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Geithner??

That is correct, sir.

"The core of the American financial system is in a much stronger position than it was before the crisis. We're way ahead of any other major economy"

Way to go, Timmay!

huntinman
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
That is correct, sir.

"The core of the American financial system is in a much stronger position than it was before the crisis. We're way ahead of any other major economy"

Way to go, Timmay!

Before the crisis?? When did it end??

gmhr1
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Just wondering how much you are paying? I just filled up today unleaded was 3.36 a gallon

Terri
02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I just got gas at $3.60.

Terri

Blackstone
02-23-2011, 11:11 PM
I bought some E85 today. Cost me $2.86

M&K's Retrievers
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
I bought some E85 today. Cost me $2.86

Where are you located? I filled up my Polaris today. 5.9 gallons for 19.17-$3.25/gal. Ouch!

Blackstone
02-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Where are you located? I filled up my Polaris today. 5.9 gallons for 19.17-$3.25/gal. Ouch!

I was in IA today. E85 was significanly cheaper than Reg. because I'm in the corn belt. However, it does burn faster. Reg. was $3.13 when I gased in MO yesterday. KS was about 10 cents higher.

ducknwork
02-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Just wondering how much you are paying? I just filled up today unleaded was 3.36 a gallon

3.18-3.24 in town. Glad my new job is still close by, I can still ride my bike to work when the weather is nice.:D

duckheads
02-24-2011, 10:42 AM
fill up last night for $3.11. this morning it is at $3.35.

luvmylabs23139
02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
3.16 at all the gas stations in town at 9:15 this morning. Came back thru town from dog training at 11:30 and they had all jumped to 3.29. It was 3.09 when I filled up on Tuesday.

Goose
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
High gas prices is all part of the plan. Buck up, America. Quit your whining and go out buy a Garbage Motor Volt for $40K or a horse. Better yet, just freaking walk to work because Barack's in charge and he knows what he's doing. Just buck up.

We live in Cuba now.

Julie R.
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Returned from a road trip Tues. and filled up in southern Va., $2.95. Todays' price, $3.25. OUCH!

High gas prices is all part of the plan. Buck up, America. Quit your whining and go out buy a Garbage Motor Volt for $40K or a horse. Better yet, just freaking walk to work because Barack's in charge and he knows what he's doing. Just buck up.

We live in Cuba now.

Already have horses--priced hay and grain lately? They've gone up more than gas. And, we no longer live in Cuba now, we live in Somalia!

Blackstone
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Paid $3.09 for regular today in MO. I expected it to be higher, but glad it wasn't.

Goose
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Returned from a road trip Tues. and filled up in southern Va., $2.95. Todays' price, $3.25. OUCH!

Already have horses--priced hay and grain lately? They've gone up more than gas. And, we no longer live in Cuba now, we live in Somalia!

So why is it that our 4-legged friends can't apply for any of Barack's stash? There are 44 million (and rising daily) Americans on food stamps so why not our horses and dogs, too. They also suffer because of the easy money policies of Barakeh Obama and the Chairsatan of the Criminal Reserve, Ben the Ber-Nank.

They gotta eat, too!!!

WRL
02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Y'all are making me sick.....

Here I sit with TWO diesel trucks.......can't fill them for $100.

Diesel is up to $3.89 gal.

WRL

Blackstone
02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Y'all are making me sick.....

Here I sit with TWO diesel trucks.......can't fill them for $100.

Diesel is up to $3.89 gal.

WRL

Itís kind of taken the advantage away from owning a diesel truck unless you just absolutely need one.

Julie R.
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
So why is it that our 4-legged friends can't apply for any of Barack's stash?

All that corn that used to go into livestock feed is needed for ethanol. Never mind that each gal.of ethanol takes over a gallon of gas to produce, our Dear Leader can earnestly claim it's reducing our dependence on foreign oil ::::eyeroll::::

T. Mac
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Just filled up here in SacTown at the cheapy station. $3.44 for the unleaded. Up from $3.21 last week.

T. Mac

BonMallari
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Just filled up here in SacTown at the cheapy station. $3.44 for the unleaded. Up from $3.21 last week.

T. Mac

basically the same here in Sin City...with gas pricing heading inevitably to the $ 4/gal range will that impact anyone's FT or HT aspirations for the year...its got me rethinking that pre National training week in Montana that I volunteered for..I drive a suburban

Hunchaser
02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm not that sure but don't you guys get most of your oil from Canada? Mostly the Alberta oil sands. You know, the area that the present U.S. administration calls "dirty oil."

gman0046
02-24-2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't heard a word from Obongolo on the high gas prices. Where is this doofus? BTW its not the high gas prices thats going to kill us its the high price of Diesel. $3.69/Gallon here. All our food is trucked by diesel powered vehicles. Just wait as food prices soar. Meanwhile we hear nothing from the Kenyan Clown. Thank God he'll be gone in less then two years.

starjack
02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Green Bay wis Monday 3.14 -Fri 3.29:-x

huntinman
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
I haven't heard a word from Obongolo on the high gas prices. Where is this doofus? BTW its not the high gas prices thats going to kill us its the high price of Diesel. $3.69/Gallon here. All our food is trucked by diesel powered vehicles. Just wait as food prices soar. Meanwhile we hear nothing from the Kenyan Clown. Thank God he'll be gone in less then two years.

You are not going to hear anything. He wants the prices high. The higher, the better. It fits his agenda of trying to force us into mass transit (hi speed rail), golf carts (electric cars) and alternative energy such as windmills and little kids with their bikes hooked to generators.

BonMallari
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM

We wont hear a thing because when the prices soar to $4/gal he can make the oil companies out to be the bad guy and somehow tie them to the last administration...what's sad is that there are many sheeple that will believe him....I think America is going to learn its lesson the hard way this time around

Franco
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
You are not going to hear anything. He wants the prices high. The higher, the better. It fits his agenda of trying to force us into mass transit (hi speed rail), golf carts (electric cars) and alternative energy such as windmills and little kids with their bikes hooked to generators.

Obama wants everyone to run out and buy a Chevy Volt so that his UAW bailout won't look so bad.
His is the do as I say, not as I do administration!

paul young
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
so you're all in favor of the government putting price controls on oil, gasoline and diesel?

i would like to hear everyone's opinion of why the prices have shot up in the past 2 weeks.-Paul

Sundown49 aka Otey B
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I have a good idea. How come Gooberment Moters doesn't make a pickup with a windmill in the bed with a LIBERAL Democrat giving a speech to power it.........Just think a million miles to the speech..............LOL.

T. Mac
02-25-2011, 06:00 PM

T. Mac

Wow, Just drove by today and its up to $3.52! The name brands are now at $3.75!!!

T. Mac

gmhr1
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
We are up to 3.49

Franco
02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
so you're all in favor of the government putting price controls on oil, gasoline and diesel?

i would like to hear everyone's opinion of why the prices have shot up in the past 2 weeks.-Paul

The government couldn't control prices if they wanted to. Price, distribution and production is global. They could increase domestic production, which would cause OPEC to increase production. More supply, less cost.

Price has shot up because Futures Buyers are speculating that the orders they are placing will be profitable when the paper is due. The huge speculators are buying for various governments. They can more afford to absorb the swings at actual price when the paper is due.

The clients of speculators can also lose huge sums but thier delivery is guarenteed. Unless, they wish to sell.

When we cut production last Summer, OPEC wasn't too far behind. Add the unrest in the east and less production and what you have is increasing prices.

Franco
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I'll add that if China wanted to play dirty, they could run the price up to a rediculous cost per barrel and cause a world wide panic.

Russia is the world's #1 producer. If the middle east goes bezerk, Russia would hold the ace in the hole.

Our policy is in not holding any aces.;-)

ducknwork
02-25-2011, 08:34 PM
We wont hear a thing because when the prices soar to $4/gal he can make the oil companies out to be the bad guy and somehow tie them to the last administration...what's sad is that there are many sheeple that will believe him....I think America is going to learn its lesson the hard way this time around

And then, just in the nick of time...he'll allow drilling in the gulf again...prices will fall just before the election, so he can show everyone how he lowered prices! What a brilliant plan!

paul young
02-25-2011, 09:57 PM
The government couldn't control prices if they wanted to. Price, distribution and production is global. They could increase domestic production, which would cause OPEC to increase production. More supply, less cost.

Price has shot up because Futures Buyers are speculating that the orders they are placing will be profitable when the paper is due. The huge speculators are buying for various governments. They can more afford to absorb the swings at actual price when the paper is due.

The clients of speculators can also lose huge sums but thier delivery is guarenteed. Unless, they wish to sell.

When we cut production last Summer, OPEC wasn't too far behind. Add the unrest in the east and less production and what you have is increasing prices.

then why do we have multiple posters calling out Obama about high prices?

i think you're dead on about the futures traders driving the price up. they were the ones driving the bus the last time prices went haywire.

this is just my opinion, but i don't think futures trading should be allowed on energy products by people or companies who are not involved in either production or sales (retail or wholesale) of the products.

these futures contracts change hands many times in a matter of days. in some cases, hours.

i wouldn't mind their version of musical chairs if they weren't screwing the economy and consumer.-Paul

BonMallari
02-26-2011, 04:17 AM

i think you're dead on about the futures traders driving the price up. they were the ones driving the bus the last time prices went haywire.

this is just my opinion, but i don't think futures trading should be allowed on energy products by people or companies who are not involved in either production or sales (retail or wholesale) of the products.

these futures contracts change hands many times in a matter of days. in some cases, hours.

i wouldn't mind their version of musical chairs if they weren't screwing the economy and consumer.-Paul

Because a sound energy policy isnt on his agenda...as have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum there are solutions, both short term and long range, but when you have an administration that is afraid to go against the environmentalists...How many jobs would be created if we built more refineries and opened up more drilling...but it aint gonna happen with this administration

Lately this POTUS has displayed a wait and see attitude toward many crisis, Egypt, Libya, and now gas prices..its like they are waiting to see poll numbers before deciding which side they want to jump on, and how it benefits them politically

road kill
02-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Because a sound energy policy isnt on his agenda...as have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum there are solutions, both short term and long range, but when you have an administration that is afraid to go against the environmentalists...How many jobs would be created if we built more refineries and opened up more drilling...but it aint gonna happen with this administration

Lately this POTUS has displayed a wait and see attitude toward many crisis, Egypt, Libya, and now gas prices..its like they are waiting to see poll numbers before deciding which side they want to jump on, and how it benefits them politically

You are very generous, Bon, I think these frat house-term paper writing light weights DON'T KNOW what to do.

RK

Franco
02-26-2011, 07:53 AM

The Obama Administration is responsible for cutting domestic production which has led to OPEC cutting production thus causing the price to go up.
OPEC is a cartel with the sole interest is getting the most $ for thier product.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/02/louisiana_lawmakers_link_strif.html

How would you propose setting the price on a global commodity?

What about the billions we invest in Ethanol production? This is a program where we artificially inflate the cost of corn using a technology that burns more fuel than it produces?

Franco
03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Great news!

Deep Water Drilling Permit Granted

Louisiana Department of Natural Resources Secretary Scott Angelle announced today that the federal government has granted the first Gulf of Mexico deep water drilling permit in the last several months. Angelle made the announcement during a conference call this afternoon, in which the Lafayette Chamber participated.

According to the announcement Noble Energy of Houston was awarded the permit.
Angelle said "February 28, 2011, is a good day for the oil and gas industry."

It will take 1.5 to 2 years to get any new production to gas pumps. Hopefully, there will be more permits to follow!

WaterDogRem
03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Great news!

Deep Water Drilling Permit Granted

Louisiana Department of Natural Resources Secretary Scott Angelle announced today that the federal government has granted the first Gulf of Mexico deep water drilling permit in the last several months. Angelle made the announcement during a conference call this afternoon, in which the Lafayette Chamber participated.

According to the announcement Noble Energy of Houston was awarded the permit.
Angelle said "February 28, 2011, is a good day for the oil and gas industry."

It will take 1.5 to 2 years to get any new production to gas pumps. Hopefully, there will be more permits to follow!

So about election time, huh?

jb504079
03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Look at the bigger scheme going on. Iran is promoting these riots and revolutions going on in the middle east....why? Because they understand what it does to fuel prices in the United States. They (radical muslims) are willing to sacrifice a Gaddafi if it means hurting America.

But let's not forget, that when oil hit $147/barrel under Bush, he lifted the ban on offshore drilling along the east coast. Remember that? Within 6 months, oil went back down to $50/barrel.

The simple act of "saying" we are going to produce more oil domestically brings the price down. Supply isn't driving prices, but instability in these crazy Muslim countries is. If America just claims we are going to drill in Alaska, or the Gulf, or California's coast, the price will come down....BECAUSE IT INJECTS STABILITY IN THE ENTIRE MARKET.

BonMallari
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
here is a National Gas pricing map...sure looks like those out west are going to really feel it even more this summer

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Gerry Clinchy
03-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Gas was $3.41 at the Hess station here tonight. The cashier said that it was $3.33 when he left last night. He said something about there being a reserve of crude out in the mid-west, but it was not cost-effective to get it to the east coast refineries?

BonMallari
03-03-2011, 12:10 AM
it was 3.65 for 89 octane at the AM/PM,it was just 3.42 last week, I suspect it will be over 4.00 on April 1

Franco
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
it was 3.65 for 89 octane at the AM/PM,it was just 3.42 last week, I suspect it will be over 4.00 on April 1

Price should go up at least another .40 per gallon as the current supply is consumed and more expensive gas gets into the supply chain.

Steve Forbes says that Obama's anti-energy policy will bring Americans to thier knees.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/steveforbes-obama-oildrilling-gulfwaters/2011/03/02/id/388058?s=al&promo_code=BC9F-1
Is he doing so on purpose to create an emergency in which he may attempt to seize more power or is he just that dumb?

Gerry Clinchy
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/alaska-pipeline-shut-down-for-repairs-report-2011-01-15

Has there been an update to the repair of the Alaskan pipeline? This certainly hasn't helped the gas situation.

The line, which carries roughly 15% of U.S. crude-oil output, had been shut down through Tuesday. The pipeline was restarted on Tuesday, but operated at a reduced level.

The shutdown during the four days halted 95% of oil production from the North Slope.

paul young
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=Franco;761091]Price should go up at least another .40 per gallon as the current supply is consumed and more expensive gas gets into the supply chain.

Steve Forbes says that oil futures trading will bring Americans to thier knees.

fixed it for ya......-Paul

luvmylabs23139
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Went to teach CGC class this morning. All the local gas stations were either 3.34 or 3.35 for the lowest grade.
I pass 6 gas stations in town on the way to the highway. Came back 2 1/2 hours later and half of them are already up to 3.47.
I have to go run some errands this afternoon and I'm taking all the gas cans with me and filling them if anyone is still at the lower price.

Gerry Clinchy
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Gas Station Sign:
Regular ..... LOL
Plus ......... OMG
Premium ... WTF

On-Site Home
Financing
Available

Franco
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Gas Station Sign:
Regular ..... LOL
Plus ......... OMG
Premium ... WTF

On-Site Home
Financing
Available

Specualtors will bid down the price per barrel when there is news that the US is serious about increasing domestic production.

T. Mac
03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Wow, Just drove by today and its up to $3.52! The name brands are now at $3.75!!!

T. Mac

Went up over a nickle again today. Cheapy station is now at $3.74 Was $3.68 this morning.

Blackstone
03-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Paid $3.39 today in KC. I don't think it will stop until we're paying over $4/gallon.

gmhr1
03-05-2011, 09:34 AM
3.60 for regular unleaded today they said on the news some places in Northern Ca are 4.99

T. Mac
04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Gas today was $4.03. Up over 25 cents during the last month. Over 50 cents in the last two months! How long till we hit the tipping point for the "fragile" economy?

T. Mac

huntinman
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Check the air in your tires.

If you have a big family, get a hybrid van (per Obama). Even though no such thing exsists yet that is feasible.

Clint Watts
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM

This is surprising to me, did not know that oil companies set the price. What were they thinking by letting the price drop so low in 2009. Get a clue.

Clint Watts
04-13-2011, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Franco;761091]Price should go up at least another .40 per gallon as the current supply is consumed and more expensive gas gets into the supply chain.

Steve Forbes says that oil futures trading will bring Americans to thier knees.

fixed it for ya......-Paul

Correct Oil Futures Trading sets the price of crude, not the oil companies. Who is a large commoditie trader?

zeus3925
04-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Saw an interview yesterday on CNBC of the CEO of Sunridge Energy. when asked what his cost of production was. He said that cost of production on the CONUS was $6-8 per barrel. He blamed speculation fro driving the cost up.

Other sources has commented that there is a 25bilion barrel surplus on the world market at the present time.

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
This is surprising to me, did not know that oil companies set the price. What were they thinking by letting the price drop so low in 2009. Get a clue.

Just because OPEC is charging over $100 a barrel of oil do the oil companies here have to charge the same for the oil produced in the U.S.??????? If it cost less than $20 to produce a barrel of oil couldn't they sell for say $40-50 a barrel to try to force OPEC to lower their prices??????????
I remember when I was growing up, gas stations had gas price wars. When one station lowered their prices the other stations did also. When I was in high school I remember gasoline at 19cents a gallon.

huntinman
04-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Just because OPEC is charging over $100 a barrel of oil do the oil companies here have to charge the same for the oil produced in the U.S.??????? If it cost less than $20 to produce a barrel of oil couldn't they sell for say $40-50 a barrel to try to force OPEC to lower their prices??????????
I remember when I was growing up, gas stations had gas price wars. When one station lowered their prices the other stations did also. When I was in high school I remember gasoline at 19cents a gallon.

Maybe realtors should reduce the commission on the homes they sell. Some think it is too high. Why don't you get your Broker to cut commissions in half to make people feel better?

Franco
04-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Oil is priced and sold on the world market.

Most of the major oil companies' prefered stock is owned by the Saudis. Why would they sell for less than the market price? Should they feel sorry for us because we have no energy policy?

What is the Dept of Energy doing? Here is a hint; NOTHING. Yet, how many billions in Tax Payer money to we spend to keep that useless department running?

huntinman
04-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Most of the major oil companies' prefered stock is owned by the Saudis. Why would they sell for less than the market price? Should they feel sorry for us because we have no energy policy?

What is the Dept of Energy doing? Here is a hint; NOTHING. Yet, how many billions in Tax Payer money to we spend to keep that useless department running?

Amen .

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM

The price of producing a barrel of oil has not increased from when oil was selling for $40 a barrel to what it is selling for now. The increase in price is pure profit and the oil companies still get tax breaks from the U.S. Government.;-)

The U.S. gets most of its oil imports from Canada and Mexico. What do you think OPEC would do if the U.S., Canada and Mexico suddenly dropped the price of their oil to $40 a barrel for a couple of months?????? Do you think the OPEC countries would also lower their prices??????????? Set the speculators sitting behind a desk lose ther butts and maybe they would think twice about letting the price of oil get so high.

Just think what would happen if gasoline got back to $1.20 a gallon. Food prices would drop because the price of harvesting and delivery would go down. People would have more money in their pockets to spend because most of their money would not have to go towards gasoline to get to and from work. Industries could charge less for their products because energy prices would go down. Just think of all the possible savings the American people would have.

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Maybe realtors should reduce the commission on the homes they sell. Some think it is too high. Why don't you get your Broker to cut commissions in half to make people feel better?

In Florida (and in other states as well), individual Brokers set the rates they charge for their services or what the brokers think their services are worth. To have every broker charge the same rates would be colusion and is illegal in the state of Florida. The person they are representing can choose for themselves if they want to employ that broker or shop around to see if they can get a better rate.

huntinman
04-14-2011, 10:36 AM
In Florida (and in other states as well), individual Brokers set the rates they charge for their services or what the brokers think their services are worth. To have every broker charge the same rates would be colusion and is illegal in the state of Florida. The person they are representing can choose for themselves if they want to employ that broker or shop around to see if they can get a better rate.

No kidding:rolleyes: In other words the market sets the rate. Imagine that. It would only be collusion if there was proof that the brokers got together to determine the rate...ergo collude

M&K's Retrievers
04-14-2011, 10:43 AM
No kidding:rolleyes: In other words the market sets the rate. Imagine that.

Can't speak for Florida, but in Texas and Oklahoma, residential commission is 6% unless negotiated down. I thought it was that way everywhere.

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Can't speak for Florida, but in Texas and Oklahoma, residential commission is 6% unless negotiated down. I thought it was that way everywhere.

Same with CT, NC, and VA.

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
No kidding:rolleyes: In other words the market sets the rate. Imagine that. It would only be collusion if there was proof that the brokers got together to determine the rate...ergo collude

No, the market does not set the rates. The broker sets the rates.

M&K's Retrievers
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Are you saying that in Florida you (agent) can charge as much as you want in commission as long as you can find someone to go for it?

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM

That is what I said. Because of anti-trust issues, Realtors do not have a "set" commission rate. One can ask if they can get a less commission rate but utimately it up to the broker to decide if he/she will take a lesser commission. If I were asked by a client if I could lower the commission and I said no because that is the going rate, I could lose my license.

huntinman
04-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Wrong. You just contradicted yourself. Call your own Broker and ask him/her if they set commission rates.

They will probably ask if you are nuts (if they don't already know). You just got through correctly describing how it was NEGOTIABLE. It can't be negotiable AND set by the broker. Which is it? You are confusing yourself!

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Wrong. You just contradicted yourself. Call your own Broker and ask him/her if they set commission rates.

They will probably ask if you are nuts (if they don't already know). You just got through correctly describing how it was NEGOTIABLE. It can't be negotiable AND set by the broker. Which is it? You are confusing yourself!

How are Commissions Set?

Although in the past real estate associations had mandatory commission rate schedules for their members, these rate schedules have been banned. Commissions are now set by the broker and may be negotiable by the seller and the listing broker. The seller and listing broker agree on the type of listing, the rate of the commission, and the conditions which have to be met for the commission to be paid. This information is then included in the brokerage or listing agreement.

http://real-estate.lawyers.com/residential-real-estate/Real-Estate-Sales-Commissions.html

Gerry Clinchy
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Roger is correct. "Price fixing" is not allowed in real estate commissions. Falls under anti-trust laws. Each broker is free to set their own rate. In fact, some brokers who specialize in luxury homes may ask for 7% due to the enhanced services they provide, whether it be advertising in specialty print vehicles, or the use of direct mail to a high-end clientele. Also, I have heard of commissions of 10% in some commercial instances.

However, I might disagree with Roger that the market does not set the rates. The rates charged by a broker will be impacted by the competitive marketplace. During a "boom" when a home will sell quickly, there is a lot of competition for listings, and brokers may be more likely to negotiate. When homes are sitting on the market longer, and buyers are scarce, brokers will be putting in more hours to get the home sold, so a higher commission is needed to offset higher "investment". While less $ is now spent in print advertising, a LOT more is spent on internet advertising & other marketing technology.

huntinman
04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Roger is correct. "Price fixing" is not allowed in real estate commissions. Falls under anti-trust laws. Each broker is free to set their own rate. In fact, some brokers who specialize in luxury homes may ask for 7% due to the enhanced services they provide, whether it be advertising in specialty print vehicles, or the use of direct mail to a high-end clientele. Also, I have heard of commissions of 10% in some commercial instances.

However, I might disagree with Roger that the market does not set the rates. The rates charged by a broker will be impacted by the competitive marketplace. During a "boom" when a home will sell quickly, there is a lot of competition for listings, and brokers may be more likely to negotiate. When homes are sitting on the market longer, and buyers are scarce, brokers will be putting in more hours to get the home sold, so a higher commission is needed to offset higher "investment". While less $ is now spent in print advertising, a LOT more is spent on internet advertising & other marketing technology.

You are both right that these brokers can set their rates at whatever they want. That does not mean they will get that rate. Bottom line is that it is still negotiable between seller and listing broker and the market will still in the long run, win. Much like the free market in any other industry like oil & gas:cool:

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
You are both right that these brokers can set their rates at whatever they want. That does not mean they will get that rate. Bottom line is that it is still negotiable between seller and listing broker and the market will still in the long run, win. Much like the free market in any other industry like oil & gas:cool:

If that were true of oil and gas companies each country could set their own price. The oil companies are out to make the most profit for themselves and their investors. People go to Walmart to buy items that sell for less. we have to pay whatever price for a gallon of gasoline based on what OPEC is getting for a barrel of oil. Where is the incentive for an oil company to lower the price of a barrel of oil? OPEC can control the price by increasing or decreasing production. Do you think the citizens of Venezula or Saudi Arabia are paying $4.00 a gallon for gasoline???

Franco
04-14-2011, 03:19 PM
If that were true of oil and gas companies each country could set their own price. The oil companies are out to make the most profit for themselves and their investors. People go to Walmart to buy items that sell for less. we have to pay whatever price for a gallon of gasoline based on what OPEC is getting for a barrel of oil. Where is the incentive for an oil company to lower the price of a barrel of oil? OPEC can control the price by increasing or lowering production.

Not completly accurate. If OPEC makes a major cut in production, it will have some effect on the price. What really determines the price is demand. Speculators are driving prices up because they want it at just about any price.

All drilling does not cost the same. Some wells cost more to bring in. The average breakeven for the oil producers is between $60 and $70 per barrel. If oil is selling for less, they don't invest in new production. When it is higher, they attempt to bring as many wells online as they can, which eventally will drop the price.

The problem within the USA is the EPA and thier supporters. If Obama had not shutdown the Gulf Of Mexico last Summer, there would be a lot more crude oil on the market.

Roger Perry
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- In Saudi Arabia gasoline costs about 45 cents a gallon. In Iran it's 33 cents. Venezuelans pay less than a quarter.

Franco
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- In Saudi Arabia gasoline costs about 45 cents a gallon. In Iran it's 33 cents. Venezuelans pay less than a quarter.

That is because oil producution has been nationalized.

Thye Saudis hire Americans to run their production because they don't have the expertise to do so themselves. Iran and Venezuela do so because their countries are so poor, they would shutdown if they had to pay market price. Mexico has also nationalized with Pemex many decades ago and you can see where that has done for them. They drill with reckless abandon and cause more polution than we do in drilling for oil. And, they can't get thier oil to market at a competitve price.

The answer is NOT nationalization because it is too wasteful. If we had nationalized oil, not only would it become political, the cost of production would go through the roof. Our government has no concept of holding down cost. The private sector with the incentive to make money is the only way to economically drill for oil.

road kill
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
All we have to do is talk about opening drilling in the gulf again and the speculators will cause prices to go down.

Evryone knows this but the guy who can change whats happening here.
Rising gas prices are killing the economic recovery as it were.

Incredible.......

RK

blind ambition
04-14-2011, 03:59 PM

...meanwhile up here, where we are the largest foreign oil supplier to the US, we pay the equivalent of $4.99 CND/ per US gallon, so stop your whining. Any resource which takes millions of years to create shouldn't just be burned up and lost forever. The future is going to be built on energy, those countries which are dealing now with fossil fuel issues, be it from an environmental perspective or the supply side are going to be better placed the retain their economic advantage. The worst thing that your government can do to weaken your children's economic future is to behave as though oil should be there forever to be burned like it has no value.
The very best thing your country can do, is to leave as much of its crude resouces in the ground, because it will still be there to be used for plastic and fertilizer when all other supply sources have run out. Perhaps in the future you will be able to trade plastic to the Chinese in exchange for cheap power.

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM

federal gas tax .184
NC gas tax .325
Total tax .509

Notice Roger just the tax is more. This has nothing to do with the actual cost to produce the gas.

Franco
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
...meanwhile up here, where we are the largest foreign oil supplier to the US, we pay the equivalent of $4.99 CND/ per US gallon, so stop your whining. Any resource which takes millions of years to create shouldn't just be burned up and lost forever. The future is going to be built on energy, those countries which are dealing now with fossil fuel issues, be it from an environmental perspective or the supply side are going to be better placed the retain their economic advantage. The worst thing that your government can do to weaken your children's economic future is to behave as though oil should be there forever to be burned like it has no value.
The very best thing your country can do, is to leave as much of its crude resouces in the ground, because it will still be there to be used for plastic and fertilizer when all other supply sources have run out. Perhaps in the future you will be able to trade plastic to the Chinese in exchange for cheap power.

This is the kind of thinking that has us in the situation we are in today!

Until alternatives are on line and ready to suplant oil, it is folly to think we have enough alternatives to drive our economy. We have enough reserves to increase production while we incentivise delveloping alternatives. At the point where we are deleting our reserves to only several trillion barrels, then we can cut back on production.

blind ambition
04-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Until alternatives are on line and ready to suplant oil, it is folly to think we have enough alternatives to drive our economy. We have enough reserves to increase production while we incentivise delveloping alternatives. At the point where we are deleting our reserves to only several trillion barrels, then we can cut back on production.

Sorry Franco but with all due respect, it is thinking that fossil fuel should be cheap which is going to bankrupt our nations. The low price at the pump (relative to other industrialized nations) in the US is why your vehicles lag those of other nations' in fuel economy and why alternate sources of power generation are not coming on stream. Necessity is the mother of invention, etc. etc. and current US policy is going to see you fall so far behind other nations that you will never catch up...all this, so that our generation can drive the vehicles we do and heat and cool the homes we have. Real political vision would deliberately make fuel more expensive through taxation to change consumer's habits, and guide this continent to become new energy source leaders not followers mired in the 19th century's big competitive edge.

Just so you know; I'm no tree hugger, I used to race historic and vintage automobiles before I turned to the cheap and relaxing hobby of retriever sports. I love the thunder of a 7 litre Can AM V8 and the whine of a V12 at 7,000 is music to my ears. But cheap energy is going to make us a second tier economy before this century ends.

mjh345
04-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Actually, it is your kind of thinking that has led to the mess we are in as to energy. IMHO

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Actually, it is your kind of thinking that has led to the mess we are in as to energy. IMHO

NO, the mess is a result of the green crazies.
DRILL BABY DRILL!!

M&K's Retrievers
04-14-2011, 06:14 PM
NO, the mess is a result of the green crazies.
DRILL BABY DRILL!!

For whatever it's worth, we are starting to get AFEs for the first time in a couple of years. Mostly gas wells but some oil wells in NDAK.

Franco
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Gas at the pump has gone up a dollar per gallon over the last six weeks.

The USA cut production which led to OPEC cutting production. Add Libya to the mix and gas prices skyrocketed.

Blame the current administration for soaring prices not the ones that want to to increase production and become more oil independent.

Oil is nowhere near depleted and just because the Democrats hate oil companies is not a good enough reason to make citizens suffer with higher prices when they don't have to.

And, so what if the rest of the world is paying through the nose for gas? We are Americans and we are exceptional. I could care less how the rest of the world views us as they would love to drag us down to thier standard of living.

In my book... America First!

duckheads
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
And, so what if the rest of the world is paying through the nose for gas? We are Americans and we are exceptional. I could care less how the rest of the world views us as they would love to drag us down to thier standard of living.

In my book... America First!

Amen brother!

Gerry Clinchy
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Gas is 14 cents less/gallon in NJ than PA. I'm told that is because PA has a higher state tax on gasoline than NJ. Theoretically, the tax on gasoline is supposed to be used for road maintenance ... yet PA is among THE WORST in the US for the deterioration of its bridges. Our tax dollars at work :-)

road kill
04-21-2011, 07:34 AM
How high do gas prices have to go before the left starts yelling like they have in the past??

Remember......"It's the Economy Stupid!!"

Your own mantra may be Obama's achilles heel.
He will NOT rescind the halt on drilling in the gulf, he is too stubborn to admit he errored.
He himself has stated that the speculators are causing the price increases, then let them speculate on more oil in the market.

Rising gas prices, now over $4 a gallon, approaching $5 a gallon quickly, could be his undoing.