PDA

View Full Version : History Shows 2012 Could Be Tough for Obama

huntinman
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
A different perspective from Karl Rove.

KARL ROVE: History Shows 2012 Will Be a Tough Battle for President Obama
By Karl Rove

Published February 21, 2011 | FoxNews.com

This morning, Gov. Mike Huckabee told ABC's George Stephanopoulos that President Obama “is going to be tough to beat. I think all this talk that ‘oh, he’s going to be a one term president’ -- people tend to forget that only one time since 1868 has an incumbent president been taken out who ran for re-election.”

I agree with Gov. Huckabee's sentiment about President Obama: 2012 will be a tough contest. But the governor's history needs a little polishing. Since 1868, five presidents were defeated for re-election (the number rises to six if 1868 is included in the series) and at least two presidents faced such long odds for re-election they gave up the contest.

Grover Cleveland was defeated for re-election in 1888 after one term. His successor, Benjamin Harrison, was similarly defeated for re-election. William Howard Taft went down after one term in 1908. Herbert Hoover was booted after one term in 1932. Jimmy Carter (thankfully) made it only one term before being bested by Ronald Reagan. George H.W. Bush lost to Bill Clinton after one term, opening the way for the rise of Huckabee to the vacant Arkansas lieutenant governor's office in a 1993 special election, following the elevation of Lt. Gov. Jim Guy Tucker to the governor's office. Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman both decided against running for re-election after serving their first complete terms, because their defeats were so likely. Rutherford Hayes was so unpopular that he was also a likely loser in 1880, but had pledged to serve only one term. And Gov. Huckabee's analogy starts in 1868, when President Andrew Johnson was so reviled that he couldn't be re-nominated.

If the transcript is mistaken and Gov. Huckabee said "1968" rather than "1868," then two presidents -- Carter and Bush 41 -- have been defeated for re-election since 1968.

A better way to look at it is that since WWII, five presidents have sought re-election and won (Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton and Bush 43) and four had either been defeated for re-election (Carter and Bush 41) or withdrawn from the contest because the odds were so long (Truman and LBJ). While President Obama is a slight favorite and a tough campaigner, the outcome of the 2012 contest very much depends on the quality of the GOP nominee and their campaign over the next 20 months.

Karl Rove is the former senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush, and is the author of "Courage and Consequence" (Threshold Editions, 2010).

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
its going to take the country plunging further downward and a Conservative candidate emerging from a less than charismatic field to unseat BHO....I hope we (as a country) dont see the former and pray for the latter to happen...a lot can happen in the next 18 months

Franco
02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Looking over the field of potential GOP candidates, I think Obama is going to be extremely difficult to beat.

The two that are better qualified are Mormons so, that eliminates much of the support from the religious right.

Then we have the scorned woman from Alaska running moderates to the other party.

The "big boy" club, Cristy and Barbour, neither can win.

Thune is an a relative unknown.

And, the one with the best credentials and ideas doesn't have any on-camera charisma.

dnf777
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Looking over the field of potential GOP candidates, I think Obama is going to be extremely difficult to beat.

And, the one with the best credentials and ideas doesn't have any on-camera charisma.

Why do you say Cristy can't win? (I agree with Barbor being unelectable.)
What chances do you give Huckabee?

huntinman
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM

The two that are better qualified are Mormons so, that eliminates much of the support from the religious right.

Then we have the scorned woman from Alaska running moderates to the other party.

Thune is an a relative unknown.

So, according to you...let's just give Obama 4 more years right now?

To be a winner, you have to think like a winner. Come on man, get a grip.

Franco
02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Why do you say Cristy can't win? (I agree with Barbor being unelectable.)
What chances do you give Huckabee?

I give Huckabee a zero chance. Huckabee doesn't have enough support beyond Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama.

Cristy is a political lightweight. We may hate Obama's politics but don't under estimate his campaigning ability. He is such a great campaigner that he won last time with zero credentials! He would make Christy look like a slob on the campaign trail.

Right now, the best bet to upseat Obama is with either Huntsman or Romney and the best qualified is Paul.

road kill
02-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I give Huckabee a zero chance. Huckabee doesn't have enough support beyond Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama.

Cristy is a political lightweight. We may hate Obama's politics but don't under estimate his campaigning ability. He is such a great campaigner that he won last time with zero credentials! He would make Christy look like a slob on the campaign trail.

Right now, the best bet to upseat Obama is with either Huntsman or Romney and the best qualified is Paul.

1 mans opinion.

RK

huntinman
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
1 mans opinion.

RK

and you know what those are like:rolleyes:

road kill
02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
and you know what those are like:rolleyes:

Pawlenty, Daniels, Walker.

RK

Franco
02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
1 mans opinion.

RK

Everything on POTUS is one man's opinion, including yours!;-)

Running Christy or Barbour is the surest way of giving Obama 4 more years.

road kill
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Everything on POTUS is one man's opinion, including yours!;-)

Running Christy or Barbour is the surest way of giving Obama 4 more years.

That might be true if it were not for the fact that many here share my opinion.:D

RK

Franco
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
So, according to you...let's just give Obama 4 more years right now?

To be a winner, you have to think like a winner. Come on man, get a grip.

To be a winner, you have to out-perform the competition! Thinking positive thoughts is folley and lecture material for the motivational speakers.

To be elected President, you have to beat the other candidate.

Franco
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
That might be true if it were not for the fact that many here share my opinion.:D

RK

I'll give you 5 to 1 odds and let you wager as much as you want! Barbour or Christy would lose in a landslide to Obama.

Y'all are scaring me! If this is the best y'all can come up with we might as well get use to 4 more years of Obama.

Neither of those two would stand a snowballs chance in hell against the Obama machine.

Your Wisconsin Walker would stand a better chance.

dnf777
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Your Wisconsin Walker would stand a better chance.

That depends on how the Madison affair plays out. It will be interesting to see. My guess is some type of compromise will be reached, both sides will claim victory, and go about business as usual.

If he gives into the union in any way that the tea party views as a failure.....he's done. Otherwise, his star is rising.

road kill
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinman
and you know what those are like

Pawlenty, Daniels, Walker.

RK

Did you miss my favorites?

RK

huntinman
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
To be a winner, you have to out-perform the competition! Thinking positive thoughts is folley and lecture material for the motivational speakers.

To be elected President, you have to beat the other candidate.

Well if you get out of bed thinking your ass is whipped like you seem to, it is...

huntinman
02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey Franco, for the "most Conservative guy on POTUS"...you sound pretty light in the loafers lately... you switching sides?

Franco
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Did you miss my favorites?

RK

When did you get off of the Palin or Barbour bandwagon?;-)

I think either Huntsman or Romney has the best chance at defeating Obama. I also think that Paul is the best qualified to be President, he just can't win.

road kill
02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
When did you get off of the Palin or Barbour bandwagon?;-)
I think either Huntsman or Romney has the best chance at defeating Obama. I also think that Paul is the best qualified to be President, he just can't win.

When was I on it?

Can I not mention possible candidates without being on a wagon?

RK

Franco
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Hey Franco, for the "most Conservative guy on POTUS"...you sound pretty light in the loafers lately... you switching sides?

I'm looking for a President that can lead us out of our finanacial mess!

I want fiscal responsibility and a President that can stay focused on money and business, not some candidate with thier own social agenda.

I don't see much difference from the GOP, who by the way helped us get into the mess we are in.

P S
Not "most" but "traditional". You know, long before the GOP was hijacked!

Franco
02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
That depends on how the Madison affair plays out. It will be interesting to see. My guess is some type of compromise will be reached, both sides will claim victory, and go about business as usual.

If he gives into the union in any way that the tea party views as a failure.....he's done. Otherwise, his star is rising.

I doubt he will cave in. At least, I hope not because if he does he will be a major disappointment.

In the big picture, any Tea Party affiliation will be a liability. What candidate in their right mind would wanted to be lumped in with Angle, O'Donnel, Bachman, Palin etc?

huntinman
02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
I doubt he will cave in. At least, I hope not because if he does he will be a major disappointment.

In the big picture, any Tea Party affiliation will be a liability. What candidate in their right mind would wanted to be lumped in with Angle, O'Donnel, Bachman, Palin etc?

There are 87 freshman republican Congressmen who might disagree with you on that one Franco. The Tea party is much more than those few names that you mentioned. Libs try to tarnish it with the people who lost their races, you seem to be buying into that. More of that "losing feeling" I guess? Watching a little too much MSNBC these days?

svenelvis
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

That's a new one - besides the constitution and the founding fathers, conservatives have now apparently laid claim to heterosexuality.

dnf777
02-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I know exactly what you mean. And I agree with your comment on 'who wants to be associated with the tea party', but I think you'd be surprised at the answer. Your comment on the hijacked GOP speaks to that one. At some point in this campaign, the real GOP candidate (whoever that turns out to be) I think will distinguish and identify himself by being the first to denounce Sarah Palin as speaking for the republican party....but without offending and driving off the tea party rank and file. IOW, lead them to the light that Sarah's brand of politics aint what's gonna get it done.

On the other topic, I don't think Scott will "cave" by any means either, but I think he will have to make some concession, as will the workers. How it is perceived will determine his future, IMO.

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I know exactly what you mean. And I agree with your comment on 'who wants to be associated with the tea party', but I think you'd be surprised at the answer. Your comment on the hijacked GOP speaks to that one. At some point in this campaign, the real GOP candidate (whoever that turns out to be) I think will distinguish and identify himself by being the first to denounce Sarah Palin as speaking for the republican party....but without offending and driving off the tea party rank and file. IOW, lead them to the light that Sarah's brand of politics aint what's gonna get it done.

On the other topic, I don't think Scott will "cave" by any means either, but I think he will have to make some concession, as will the workers. How it is perceived will determine his future, IMO.

Completely disagree with both this strategy and your premise...everyone knows my thoughts on Palin ad nauseum...BUT the Republican Party needs the Palin backers, it cant win without her backers, as for her brand of politics, its what the Republican Party has lacked lately is some nerve and backbone...if there is one thing that the Tea Party is good at doing its to keep the RINO element from straying too far left..denouncing Palin is a sure fire way to get 4 more yrs of BHO

Franco
02-21-2011, 05:08 PM
There are 87 freshman republican Congressmen who might disagree with you on that one Franco. The Tea party is much more than those few names that you mentioned. Libs try to tarnish it with the people who lost their races, you seem to be buying into that. More of that "losing feeling" I guess? Watching a little too much MSNBC these days?

I don't watch MSNBC or thier counterpart Fox News. Unlike many, I don't need those idiots telling me what I should be thinking.

I watch either Headline News or BBC News(no commentary)!

That is when I'm not watching the Military Channel, History International, NFL Network or The Outdoor Channel;-)

I don't even watch the local news. However, I do read the New Orleans paper as well as other publication on-line.

Franco
02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Completely disagree with both this strategy and your premise...everyone knows my thoughts on Palin ad nauseum...BUT the Republican Party needs the Palin backers, it cant win without her backers, as for her brand of politics, its what the Republican Party has lacked lately is some nerve and backbone...if there is one thing that the Tea Party is good at doing its to keep the RINO element from straying too far left..denouncing Palin is a sure fire way to get 4 more yrs of BHO

Someone posted a link to Fox News a while back that had a poll of Republicans on how they felt about Palin's chances as the GOP headliner in 2012. Over half the registered Republicans said they didn't or couldn't support her.

Instead of courting her small following, the GOP would be better served by going after the undecided. This is the group that will win or lose and election for any party. Her followers may be loud but there aren't enough of them to influence an election.

And, they way to go after them is to come up with a platform that serves this country economiclly and not one that wants to take us back to some fictional fairy tale land that never exsisted!

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't watch MSNBC or thier counterpart Fox News. Unlike many, I don't need those idiots telling me what I should be thinking.

I watch either Headline News or BBC News(no commentary)!

That is when I'm not watching the Military Channel, History International, NFL Network or The Outdoor Channel;-)

I don't even watch the local news. However, I do read the New Orleans paper as well as other publication on-line.

and all this time I thought you were on LSU Freek..:p:p Which I must admit is the most entertaining innovative fan based collegiate website I have ever seen, about as politically incorrect as it gets..

dnf777
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
..BUT the Republican Party needs the Palin backers, it cant win without her backers, as for her brand of politics, its what the Republican Party has lacked lately is some nerve and backbone..

But who do you think is larger in number-- Palin backers....or moderate independent voters that went for Obama in '08? These same voters that put Obama in office will likely decide the next election also. Do you want to trade them away for the Palin crowd? I could be mistaken, but I don't think many of them will buy off on a Palin heavy platform.

dnf777
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
[COLOR=black]

My favorite use for the Picayune!!! :D:D

(Picked this up at a studio across from the Cornstalk Hotel. Notice the headline...painted the day the headlines came out about the Saints)

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae306/dnf777/DSC_0112.jpg

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 05:32 PM
But who do you think is larger in number-- Palin backers....or moderate independent voters that went for Obama in '08? These same voters that put Obama in office will likely decide the next election also. Do you want to trade them away for the Palin crowd? I could be mistaken, but I don't think many of them will buy off on a Palin heavy platform.

who said Palin was going to dictate the platform, dont be so quick to make her the face of the Party, put she and the Tea Party can energize CONSERVATIVES..which was clearly lacking before...I dont want Republican Lite...IMHO if you give the country a SOLID conservative the moderate republicans will follow...why waste time and money trying to change the hearts and minds of left leaning moderates, they will not vote Republican...the Republicans lost because moderate republicans voted for BHO

dnf777
02-21-2011, 05:40 PM
who said Palin was going to dictate the platform, dont be so quick to make her the face of the Party, put she and the Tea Party can energize CONSERVATIVES..which was clearly lacking before...I dont want Republican Lite...IMHO if you give the country a SOLID conservative the moderate republicans will follow...why waste time and money trying to change the hearts and minds of left leaning moderates, they will not vote Republican...the Republicans lost because moderate republicans voted for BHO

I see your point. But I just don't think Sarah can stick around and NOT be the focus of the party or platform. You get the full Monty with her.

I'm not making her the face of the party, but I think SHE will, unless they separate from her definitively.

Of course, this will all be moot after the primary, if she doesn't win. Do you think she can win the GOP primary? Or what if she doesn't (or doesn't run in it) and goes third party? What then? Do you think the GOP would let her split their ranks with a third party run? (if I were Obama, I would be praying daily for that to occur)

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I see your point. But I just don't think Sarah can stick around and NOT be the focus of the party or platform. You get the full Monty with her.

I'm not making her the face of the party, but I think SHE will, unless they separate from her definitively.

Of course, this will all be moot after the primary, if she doesn't win. Do you think she can win the GOP primary? Or what if she doesn't (or doesn't run in it) and goes third party? What then? Do you think the GOP would let her split their ranks with a third party run? (if I were Obama, I would be praying daily for that to occur)

Not enough funding $$$$$$$$$ and infrastructure for a third party run, she needs the Republican Party and as much as care to admit it the Party needs her BUT as a fund raiser and flame thrower...as far as the Full Monty from her, at one time maybe, but not anymore

dnf777
02-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Not enough funding $$$$$$$$$ and infrastructure for a third party run, she needs the Republican Party and as much as care to admit it the Party needs her BUT as a fund raiser and flame thrower...as far as the Full Monty from her, at one time maybe, but not anymore

I can agree with all of the above. But who's going to put her in that box if she really wants to run?

I see your point on that....I doubt anyone could put her in that box, and maintain her support.

This will be interesting. What do you think she's gonna do?

huntinman
02-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Someone posted a link to Fox News a while back that had a poll of Republicans on how they felt about Palin's chances as the GOP headliner in 2012. Over half the registered Republicans said they didn't or couldn't support her.

Instead of courting her small following, the GOP would be better served by going after the undecided. This is the group that will win or lose and election for any party. Her followers may be loud but there aren't enough of them to influence an election.

And, they way to go after them is to come up with a platform that serves this country economiclly and not one that wants to take us back to some fictional fairy tale land that never exsisted!

Lot of good that did our RINO nominee last time:rolleyes: if they are undecided this time around, there isn't much hope for them. Go conservative or go home.

Franco
02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
and all this time I thought you were on LSU Freek..:p:p Which I must admit is the most entertaining innovative fan based collegiate website I have ever seen, about as politically incorrect as it gets..

I am the LSU Freek!

Though I will admit that I didn't think LSU would win more than 7 games last season with Jefferson at QB. Next season should be another Nat'l Championship season for the Tigers:D

And, no one will ever accuse me of being PC. ;-)

I am Pro Business both large and small ones, anti-Big Government, fiscally conservative, strong military and that is what our government should be for as well! All the social crap need not be a part of our Fed Government.

Franco
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Lot of good that did our RINO nominee last time:rolleyes: if they are undecided this time around, there isn't much hope for them. Go conservative or go home.

I am talking about the undecided voters not politicians!

You know, the voters that will decide the election.

huntinman
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I am talking about the undecided voters not politicians!

You know, the voters that will decide the election.

No $hit... look where that got us chasing them last time. get a conservative candidate and go more conservative. If the voters have not made up their mind by now, there is no hope for them, lets move on (to coin a phrase)

BonMallari
02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Go conservative or go home.

if I dint already have a signature, THIS would be my new one

I am the LSU Freek!

Though I will admit that I didn't think LSU would win more than 7 games last season with Jefferson at QB. Next season should be another Nat'l Championship season for the Tigers:D

And, no one will ever accuse me of being PC. ;-)

I am Pro Business both large and small ones, anti-Big Government, fiscally conservative, strong military and that is what our government should be for as well! All the social crap need not be a part of our Fed Government.

Drinking the Kool Aid again I see....

huntinman
02-21-2011, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=BonMallari;755412]if I dint already have a signature, THIS would be my new one

Yours is a pretty good one, probably cost you more though;-)

Franco
02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
No $hit... look where that got us chasing them last time. get a conservative candidate and go more conservative. If the voters have not made up their mind by now, there is no hope for them, lets move on (to coin a phrase)

The undecideds don't vote along party lines, they generally want to hear what a candidate has to say.

The GOP lost because they ran grandpa against a young, energetic, articulate candidate that promised "change". Grandpa and his outspoken VP runningmate ran the undecideds and moderates to the Dems!

BTW, there aren't enough Conservatives to elect a President. To win, they need to have the ability to pull from the undecideds and moderates. Which means they need to keep thier message focused on the economy and jobs and drop the Draconian social agenda.

The election debate needs to be about the Economy and Jobs. That includes effective policy in budget, re-evaluating most regulations, Foreign Policy and a realistic energy policy for both now and the future. If they stray from that message, they'll get beat.

Roger Perry
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM

I think you are wrong. It was not because McCain was a RINO it was because of the road Bush was taking us down. I do not think a tea party canidate can win an election.

dnf777
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
BTW, there aren't enough Conservatives to elect a President. To win, they need to have the ability to pull from the undecideds and moderates.

Same for the democrats. But they each have enough base to make an third party victory almost impossible.

My favorite commentary on swing voters was from (excuse the source) the Daly Show. This rips on both sides equally...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-october-7-2008/the-stupid-vote

Franco
02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Where is the Republican Presidential hopeful with that, "WOW" factor?

I just don't see it in any of the candidates, yet.

Is Jon Huntsman that Conservative intellectual that can lead us? He has the education and experience as an xGov and Xambassador to China.

Terri
02-21-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm looking for a President that can lead us out of our finanacial mess!

I want fiscal responsibility and a President that can stay focused on money and business, not some candidate with thier own social agenda.

I don't see much difference from the GOP, who by the way helped us get into the mess we are in.

P S

My daughter who is a third year law school old had to balance the budget and cut the debt in one of her classes. She was able to do it through a lot of cuts and very little tax raising. The project was very simply, her words, and took very little time. She does have an undergraduate degree in economics, which may have helped, but she is only 24 years old. All this back and forth at both the state and federal between the two parties is just politics. As a whole the two political parties do not care about the financial health of the country.

Terri

Roger Perry
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
My daughter who is a third year law school old had to balance the budget and cut the debt in one of her classes. She was able to do it through a lot of cuts and very little tax raising. The project was very simply, her words, and took very little time. She does have an undergraduate degree in economics, which may have helped, but she is only 24 years old. All this back and forth at both the state and federal between the two parties is just politics. As a whole the two political parties do not care about the financial health of the country.

Terri

It is a shame she is not old enough to run for President

Terri
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
It is a shame she is not old enough to run for President

Maybe one day she will. She does have the brains and the looks, but I'm not sure she she would get elected. Her cuts might make too many enemies. We started talking about something else, so I'm not sure what she planned to cut or tax.

Terri

huntinman
02-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Where is the Republican Presidential hopeful with that, "WOW" factor?

I just don't see it in any of the candidates, yet.

Is Jon Huntsman that Conservative intellectual that can lead us? He has the education and experience as an xGov and Xambassador to China.

His problem is that almost no one knows who he is...

huntinman
02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Terri

I nominate your daughter for POTUS in 2024!

dback
02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Her cuts WOULD make too many enemies.

Fixed it for ya Terri.........and there in lies the problem!

dnf777
02-22-2011, 04:52 AM
While I agree that spending is out of control and needs to be reduced, I would refine that statement to say "wasteful spending" needs to be reduced. If we could reduce fraud and the lining of pockets, we'd probably be surprised at how many programs we actually CAN afford, if run efficiently.

Also, considering all the jobs (high paying middle-class jobs) that have been lost, and the huge number of underemployed, a far larger budget problem is loss of revenue.

What was the main difference between now, and the Clinton years of balanced budgets? We still had social programs, we still had teachers unions....but we had lots of people working, paying the same or slightly more taxes....and we had a budget surplus.

Its JOBS LOSS and NAFTA that put us in this hole. And wasteful spending to pile on.

road kill
02-22-2011, 05:52 AM
I just wanted to say publically, from the perspective of a conservative.......and I think I speak for all of us.........what a releif to know that in these troubled times we don't have to worry, we have Franco and dnf guiding our Presidential nominee process.

I think we can all sleep better at night knowing we have their leadership.:rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RK

Franco
02-22-2011, 06:51 AM
I just wanted to say publically, from the perspective of a conservative.......and I think I speak for all of us.........what a releif to know that in these troubled times we don't have to worry, we have Franco and dnf guiding our Presidential nominee process.

I think we can all sleep better at night knowing we have their leadership.:rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RK

That's par for the course for you. You can't articulate a point nor are you able to debate without gettung into some kind of childish dribble.

Brave words spoken over the internet!

You think you speak for people or conservatives on POTUS? How big of yourself to think so.

You have turned more threads into garbage than anyone here with your antics and personal insults. You may be good at intimidating the weaklings but MOST here see you for the blowhard you are.

huntinman
02-22-2011, 07:14 AM
That's par for the course for you. You can't articulate a point nor are you able to debate without gettung into some kind of childish dribble.

Brave words spoken over the internet!

You think you speak for people or conservatives on POTUS? How big of yourself to think so.

You have turned more threads into garbage than anyone here with your antics and personal insults. You may be good at intimidating the weaklings but MOST here see you for the blowhard you are.

On the flip side Franco, you come out and say without a doubt none of the republicans can win and list your reasons. You do it over and over. You are either the most negative person in the world or a Democrat in drag.

Franco
02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
On the flip side Franco, you come out and say without a doubt none of the republicans can win and list your reasons. You do it over and over. You are either the most negative person in the world or a Democrat in drag.

I want Obama replaced as much as anyone. It will be a daunting task and I'm not going to settle for a loser GOP candidate. Defeating Obama will not be easy but, the GOP could make it easy if they don't get a viable candidate in front of the people.

As I said earlier, I am currently leaning towards Huntsman or Romney.

BrianW
02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
His problem is that almost no one knows who he is...
Jmtc, but don't you think that's how BHO got elected?
Almost no one knew who he was so Plough could market him as everything to everyone. Also he was able to skirt around his true agenda and folks didn't take his "transforming America" seriously.
PBO won't have that advantage this time around though.

As far as a Mormon can't get elected, the same was said about Catholic Kennedy as well. I think the religious right "could" (& likely would) go for a bottomline " good man" if the only alternative is 4 more years of this assault on "a government of the past".

huntinman
02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Jmtc, but don't you think that's how BHO got elected? Almost no one knew who he was so Plough could market him as everything to everyone. Also he was able to skirt around his true agenda and folks didn't take his "transforming America" seriously.
PBO won't have that advantage this time around though.

As far as a Mormon can't get elected, the same was said about Catholic Kennedy as well. I think the religious right "could" (& likely would) go for a bottomline " good man" if the only alternative is 4 more years of this assault on "a government of the past".

Good point Brian, but look how well that's worked for us.

road kill
02-22-2011, 08:30 AM
That's par for the course for you. You can't articulate a point nor are you able to debate without gettung into some kind of childish dribble. (nothing personal, right??)
Brave words spoken over the internet! Oh Ohhh, am I in trouble??

You have turned more threads into garbage than anyone here with your antics and personal insults. You may be good at intimidating the weaklings but MOST here see you for the blowhard (nothing personal, right??)you are.

You "articulated that point" very well!

RK:D

road kill
02-22-2011, 08:34 AM
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/bobseybarna.jpg

It's always fun to make new friends.........:D

RK

BrianW
02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
While I agree that spending is out of control and needs to be reduced, I would refine that statement to say "wasteful spending" needs to be reduced. If we could reduce fraud and the lining of pockets, we'd probably be surprised at how many programs we actually CAN afford, if run efficiently.
I would refine that statement to say "wasteful spending" needs to be eliminated and all overall spending needs to be reduced.
Also , if we could reduce the number of overall programs by first looking at whether or not they are constitutionally authorized, we'd probably be surprised at how many programs we actually CAN get rid of, and not consider if they're run efficiently or not.

If you examined a justifiable program and found wasteful spending, wouldn't you want to get rid of it? Or is just a little bit of waste ok? :confused:

BrianW
02-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Good point Brian, but look how well that's worked for us.

True enough.

But without the past baggage, a "Huntsman" could bring out a consistent viable message to counter the "whirling dervish" that PBO seems to have become. He wouldn't have to hide his roots and upbringing as well as the radical associations and could counter the trend to tear the system down.

Gerry Clinchy
02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE][/Q
Originally Posted by Terri http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?p=755467#post755467)
QUOTE]

Perhaps the class should send their results to the freshman House members? or all the Senators? It could be enlightening for all of them.

One of the aspects of cutting govt spending that people haven't focused on, FWIW ... what happens if funding is cut and 100,000 govt workers hit the unemployment ranks? I wonder if that is something that has been kept behind closed doors, and is also influencing what cuts are proposed.

dnf777
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Its called stating his opinion, and he's made it clear that's all it is. Isn't that the whole purpose of this forum?

(and he does it without a "hillary laugh"!!) :D

dnf777
02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I would refine that statement to say "wasteful spending" needs to be eliminated and all overall spending needs to be reduced.
Also , if we could reduce the number of overall programs by first looking at whether or not they are constitutionally authorized, we'd probably be surprised at how many programs we actually CAN get rid of, and not consider if they're run efficiently or not.

If you examined a justifiable program and found wasteful spending, wouldn't you want to get rid of it? Or is just a little bit of waste ok? :confused:

Brian, I'll go out on a limb and say I think we agree. ALL wasteful spending should be eliminated. Once that is done, there will be programs that some will want cut completely, even if run efficiently. We can argue those points until blue in the face....but I agree all reduncancy, fraud, etc...should be cut.

Marvin S
02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I want Obama replaced as much as anyone. It will be a daunting task and I'm not going to settle for a loser GOP candidate. Defeating Obama will not be easy but, the GOP could make it easy if they don't get a viable candidate in front of the people.

As I said earlier, I am currently leaning towards Huntsman or Romney.

Romney can't win - he will get tagged with his MA HC package, & that will be one of the signature issues of the next campaign :o. Besides the fact that he looks too perfect!!!!!!!!

BonMallari
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
John Thune just announced he wont seek the presidency in 2012

Franco
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
John Thune just announced he wont seek the presidency in 2012

Gov. Mitch Daniels is asking Indiana lawmakers to drop "Right To Work" legislation.

That makes him "toast" in the south!;-)