PDA

View Full Version : Freeloader or not?

ducknwork
02-23-2011, 06:46 AM
OK, guys flame away....

I have found new job and I will start on Monday. (thank the Lord) The job has a 90 day probationary period during which I will have no insurance. I would not be concerned about that if not for my kids, so I have to do something to keep them insured for that time period. NC has an govt program called NC Health Choice that is a low cost insurance plan for children under 19, if the household meets income requirements. You qualify for a year period at one time. My income qualifies for a family of 5. The insurance has a pretty low yearly on time fee rather than a monthly premium. This would be a great option for my kids to remain insured during the 90 day gap between insurance plans. I will be using it for that period. At the end of 90 days I have two options:

1. Cancel the NCHC plan and add my kids to my insurance plan from the new job.
2. Leave the kids on the NCHC plan for the remainder of the year (which I have paid for) and only put myself and my wife on my new insurance and add the kids after the year is over.

Option 2 would leave me extra money in my paycheck each week as I would not be paying for the kids on my weekly premium. BUT, I do not want to take any handouts and don't want to be considered to be like the people on other govt assistance programs that don't truly need the help. My pride is getting in the way of allowing me to do this--I don't want anyone else taking care of my family.
Option 1 would cost me more money each month (probably close to $150-$200 extra), but wouldn't have any of the possible guilt associated with it for taking govt assistance.

Opinions?

Ken Bora
02-23-2011, 07:22 AM
I say.........
from my far away keyboard seat.
put everybody on the gov. plan for the 90 days.
Leave the kids on it for a year.
a: 'cause it is paid for
and
b: you could get fired or quit after the first week.
then, you can sleep well knowing the kids are protected, giving you the freedom to walk away from the new job if you need to.

road kill
02-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Do what you have to do to take care of your children.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!!
(JMO)

RK

mjh345
02-23-2011, 08:04 AM
OK, guys flame away....

Option 2 would leave me extra money in my paycheck each week as I would not be paying for the kids on my weekly premium. BUT, I do not want to take any handouts and don't want to be considered to be like the people on other govt assistance programs that don't truly need the help. My pride is getting in the way of allowing me to do this--I don't want anyone else taking care of my family.

Opinions?
If you truly have the moral convictions you are quoted as having, then I can't see how you could be in a quandry.

Congrats on the new job

luvmylabs23139
02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Congrats on the new job! I'm very happy that you were able to find a new job before your other one ended. (I think you said that would happen in April)
I will leave my other thoughts as a NC taxpayer with no kids for another day.

Buzz
02-23-2011, 08:20 AM
One of the seven deadly sins...

In almost every list Pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and the source of the others. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour." In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the titulary famed Parisian doctor. In perhaps the best-known example, the story of Lucifer, pride (his desire to compete with God) was what caused his fall from Heaven, and his resultant transformation into Satan. In Dante's Divine Comedy, the penitents were forced to walk with stone slabs bearing down on their backs to induce feelings of humility.

Congrats on the new job. I really hope it works out, and more than anything, I hope you like it.

huntinman
02-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Do what's best for you and your family and the hell with what anyone else thinks.

BrianW
02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
You, as a working, tax paying, legal resident/citizen of NC are helping subsidize the system, (beside paing the premium) are you not?
How is that "freeloading"? :confused:

PS Congrats & best of luck on your new job!

luvmylabs23139
02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
OK. I gave my NC taxpayer opinion previously.
Now what I will tell you Duck is that you have to look at part of this on along term basis.
There are certain insurance rules that you need to be aware of. Most have an annual enrollment. Just watch your dates because you do not want to refuse enrollement for your kids and then be out of date of the other plan. I do not know the current NC details but please for no other reason than your family make sure that you can insure your kids with the new employer outside of open enrollment if you choice to not insure them when eligable.

paul young
02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
first, i'm glad you found a job. hopefully as a toolmaker?

you'll have to compare coverages, but chances are the plan thru your workplace will be more comprehensive. you never know what's coming down the pike, and if i were you, i would want the best coverage available. a serious illness or injury requiring hospitalization can bury you quickly-you wouldn't believe how fast a couple hundred thousand ( or more) can evaporate.-Paul

road kill
02-23-2011, 09:47 AM

you'll have to compare coverages, but chances are the plan thru your workplace will be more comprehensive. you never know what's coming down the pike, and if i were you, i would want the best coverage available. a serious illness or injury requiring hospitalization can bury you quickly-you wouldn't believe how fast a couple hundred thousand ( or more) can evaporate.-Paul

I would add....even if you have good insurance!:(

RK

luvmylabs23139
02-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Duck,
Both Paul and RK are correct. (never thought I would say that.) You must evaluate both plans based on the worst case. You cannot compare plans strictly by premium. PM me the plan details and I am more than willing to objectively help you.

ducknwork
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Everyone, thanks for the congrats and well wishes! It is definitely a relief to have the future under control again (as much as possible, anyway).

Luv, I'll send a pm shortly to discuss details. Thanks for the offer.

If you truly have the moral convictions you are quoted as having, then I can't see how you could be in a quandry.

Congrats on the new job

From the outside looking in, does it put me in the same group that I referred to by keeping the kids on the NCHC plan for the entire year when I could afford to add them to the new insurance after 90 days? My only reason for doing that would be to save $150-200/month on premiums. I am very against people who take food stamps/welfare/etc when they don't truly need it, but would this make me 'one of them'? I am far from hypocritical, so this seems to be a tough decision...

ducknwork
02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
One of the seven deadly sins...

I didn't really mean it in the sense that your quote suggested...:)

ducknwork
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Probably not as specific as a toolmaker. I will be in maintenance in another factory. They have dies, but not many and not the type I am used to working on. They don't seem like the type that would need much upkeep either...However, they do not currently have a machinist in their maint dept, so now they will...Other job responsibilities will include welding, hydraulics, pneumatics, machining, mechanical/electrical repairs on industrial equipment. To say the least, it will be interesting.:)

Buzz
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I didn't really mean it in the sense that your quote suggested...:)

I know. I couldn't help myself... :p

charly_t
02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Everyone, thanks for the congrats...........

From the outside looking in, does it put me in the same group that I referred to by keeping the kids on the NCHC plan for the entire year when I could afford to add them to the new insurance after 90 days? My only reason for doing that would be to save $150-200/month on premiums. I am very against people who take food stamps/welfare/etc when they don't truly need it, but would this make me 'one of them'? I am far from hypocritical, so this seems to be a tough decision...

It's wonderfull to know that you got a new job....congrats.

Now to the insurance thing.......you already have had lots of good advice about that. The only thing I can add is sometimes we have to compromise and sometimes it hurts. Do what's good for your family at this time and do not look back.

Terri
02-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Everyone, thanks for the congrats and well wishes! It is definitely a relief to have the future under control again (as much as possible, anyway).

Luv, I'll send a pm shortly to discuss details. Thanks for the offer.

Glad you found a job. If you have a problem with food stamps/welfare/etc. for people when they do not truly need it, I would have to say this falls in the etc. category. I'm not trying to be mean, it just does. I told the same thing to my own brother, just a couple of days ago.

Like others have stated you have to do what is best for your kids, but if you take the easy road, you will have to be a little more understanding to the folks who have also decided to travel that road.

Terri

Roger Perry
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Duck, do whatever is best for your family. If there is a 90 day probationary period anything can happen. I worked for the West Bend Company where I grew up. You had to work there 60 days to be accepted into the union. The company laid off most everyone on the 59th day because after that it would be hard to fire them. Well not long after that one of my friends that I went to high school with and graduated from college that went to work for the West Bend Company asked me to come back as a foreman. In polite terms, I told him to take his job and shove it.
What I am trying to say is take option #2 or whatever is best for your family. You don't need your wife and kids getting angry with you if something should happen to any one of them health wise and not being able to take care of them.

Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out well for you and the family.
Roger.

JDogger
02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Ducknwork, I'll join in the congratulations on the the new job. Done very timely. Maybe things are not as bleak as some would like to paint them. My company is hiring and expanding as well.
I hope you like what you'll be doing.

Whatever you decide about HC, I'm sure you will do it with thought.

If I were in your situation though, I don't know that I would come to PP for advice.

Goodluck, JD

Gerry Clinchy
02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Great news about the new job, Duck!

What you may find is that the coverage from the employer is better coverage than the state plan.

As for "free-loading" ... I'd guess that the taxes you've paid for many years (that have funded this benefit for others) would not classify you as a "free-loader". And Luv mentions a good point ... whether there will be any penalty for not enrolling the kids as soon as they are eligible.

Option 3 ... maybe ... for the 90-day probationary period ... sometimes you can stay on your present employer's plan for a period of time and pay the premium yourself. Since you were scheduled for layoff anyhow; depending on the # of employees of your employer; depending on the terms of the contract with the employer. Although maybe you've already inquired about that? Also might check out open enrollment periods for a non-profit if you have one in NC. Some of them offer "temporary" plans for interim periods like this.

dnf777
02-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Good for you Duck.
Do what's right for you and your family.
If that's considered freeloading by some here........screw them.
You'll be paying taxes to support their butts anyway, so don't worry!

Good luck at the new job, and I just hope it leaves you time for your family and a little retriever training. Lord knows a job can put a dent in dog time.

Blackstone
02-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Duck, Glad you found a new job. I would add my 2 cents, but I think I would just be echoing what almost everyone else is saying. Take care of your family first. Do what’s best for them.

ducknwork
02-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Option 3 ... maybe ... for the 90-day probationary period ... sometimes you can stay on your present employer's plan for a period of time and pay the premium yourself.

Option #3 sounds like cobra insurance...Family cobra is $1200+/month:shock::shock:....not an option....:(

Thank you for all of the thoughts and well wishes, everyone! You may not be seeing me around here as much as of next week. It seems that I will have a little less time on my hands in a company that is growing rather than shutting the doors in a couple months. Go figure!:-P

DNF, fortunately, it's still going to leave plenty of time for everything else. I will actually be getting off an hour sooner each day!

Joe Martin
02-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Not freeloading at all - that's what the plan is for.

Just be sure that you can put the kids on the company plan later without signing them up at the beginning.