PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin governor duped in prank call, reveals union fight strategy

Roger Perry
02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
MADISON, Wis. — On a prank call that quickly spread across the Internet, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was duped into discussing his strategy to cripple public employee unions, promising never to give in and joking that he would use a baseball bat in his office to go after political opponents.
Walker believed the caller was a conservative billionaire named David Koch, but it was actually the editor of a liberal online newspaper. The two talked for at least 20 minutes — a conversation in which the governor described several potential ways to pressure Democrats to return to the Statehouse and revealed that his supporters had considered secretly planting people in pro-union protest crowds to stir up trouble.

He also floated an idea to lure Democratic senators back to the Capitol for negotiations and then have the Senate quickly pass the bill while they are in talks.
Walker said aides were reviewing whether the GOP could hold a vote if Democrats were not physically in the Senate chamber but elsewhere in the building. At the news conference, he insisted that idea was not a trick but an effort to get Democrats back to work.

On the call, Walker said he expected the anti-union movement to spread across the country and he had spoken with the governors of Ohio and Nevada. The man pretending to be Koch seemed to agree, telling Walker, "You're the first domino."
"Yep, this is our moment," Walker responded.
At the end of the call, the prankster says: "I'll tell you what, Scott, once you crush these bastards, I'll fly you out to Cali and really show you a good time."
"All right, that would be outstanding," Walker replies, adding that the standoff is "all about getting our freedoms back."

http://www.freep.com/article/20110223/NEWS07/110223065/1008/NEWS06

road kill
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
MADISON, Wis. On a prank call that quickly spread across the Internet, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was duped into discussing his strategy to cripple public employee unions, promising never to give in and joking that he would use a baseball bat in his office to go after political opponents.
Walker believed the caller was a conservative billionaire named David Koch, but it was actually the editor of a liberal online newspaper. The two talked for at least 20 minutes a conversation in which the governor described several potential ways to pressure Democrats to return to the Statehouse and revealed that his supporters had considered secretly planting people in pro-union protest crowds to stir up trouble.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110223/NEWS07/110223065/1008/NEWS06

BULL SHAT!!

Listen for yourself;

http://blogs.wsj.com/wsjam/2011/02/24/governor-scott-walker-punked/?mod=google_news_blog

RK

Buzz
02-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Yup, the other day RK accused me of making baseless accusations when I said he was union busting. I wonder what he thinks Walker is talking about here:

I told my cabinet ... about what we were going to do and how we were going to do it. We'd already kind of built plans up but it was kind of the last hurrah before we dropped the bomb. And i stood up and pulled out a picture of Ronald Reagan and said this may seem a little melodramatic, but 30 years ago, Ronald Reagan ... had one of the most defining moments of his political career, not just his presidency, when he fired the air traffic controllers. And I said, to me that moment was more important than for just labor relations or even the federal budget, that was the first crack in the Berlin Wall and the fall of communism ... in Wisconsin's history, this is our moment, this is our time to change the course of history ... for those who thought I was being melodramatic you now know it was purely putting it in the right context.

road kill
02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Yup, the other day RK accused me of making baseless accusations when I said he was union busting. I wonder what he thinks Walker is talking about here:

Please show me where I said that.

Much like Rogers post...BS!!

RK

Franco
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Unions for public workers should not only be busted, they should be outlawed!

Buzz
02-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Please show me where I said that.

Much like Rogers post...BS!!

RK

I think Walker has one thing in mind. Bust the unions, period.

No chance he is trying to correct wasteful spending and balance the budget??

Maybe you should do a little reading before you make generalized, baseless accusations.

And....he is doing exactly what he said he would do.

RK

Post #10 in the Scott Walker thread...

It's not beyond me to make a baseless accusation, but this wasn't one of them...

road kill
02-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Post #10 in the Scott Walker thread...

It's not beyond me to make a baseless accusation, but this wasn't one of them...

"1 thing in mind."

I think a rational person KNOWS that is baseless.

Looks like I did refer to that.
You are fully aware that there is much more to this issue.

It's about the union controlling the state Democratic party (not the people).
It's about paying money we don't have.
It's about balancing the budget.
It's about relieving the burden on small school districts and municipalities.
It's about allowing union members choices (in insurance when the have to help pay for their own, instead of using the healthcare the union chooses for them).

It's about sanity!!

That does not seem like "1 thing in mind."

RK

luvmylabs23139
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

+10000!!!!!

Matt Weberpal
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
We all knew he was trying to bust the unions before the conversation. I don't think the tapes change anything.

Blackstone
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Next time you see a police officer or a fireman tell then that.

sandyg
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM

I have. What do you think, policeman and firemen are special? They chose their profession like everybody else. Don't go placing them higher or more worthy than any other public sector worker.

Blackstone
02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I have. What do you think, policeman and firemen are special? They chose their profession like everybody else. Don't go placing them higher or more worthy than any other public sector worker.

I don't. If you noted my earlier post, I said everyone should sacrifice equally, including the police & fire fighters unions. However, I don't believe any of them should give up collective bargaining. I just don't think many people would want to confront a police officer with that. Maybe I'm wrong.

dnf777
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM

Why don't you try dealing with what police deal with everyday, or go to a slain officers funeral, or run into a burning building to look for survivors...then tell me they're not any "higher" than any other PSW.

Call me old fashioned, but people who risk their lives to serve the public are a little higher than those who risk papercuts from 9 to 5.

What do you do anyway? We've all participated in the thread about what we do, or what we used to do....you kept quiet. Are you even employed?

Just asking.

I found it very interesting, and found lots of respect for many here, and their pursuits. Lots of successful folks around here.

sandyg
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Why don't you try dealing with what police deal with everyday, or go to a slain officers funeral, or run into a burning building to look for survivors...then tell me they're not any "higher" than any other PSW.

Call me old fashioned, but people who risk their lives to serve the public are a little higher than those who risk papercuts from 9 to 5.

What do you do anyway? We've all participated in the thread about what we do, or what we used to do....you kept quiet. Are you even employed?

Just asking.

I found it very interesting, and found lots of respect for many here, and their pursuits. Lots of successful folks around here.

I don't answer to you Mr. High and Mighty.

If you would read my posts instead of cutting and pasting (ala my Chevy Volt thread) you would know what I do and my educational background.

I know most police and fireman don't think of themselves as special or heroes. The idolization of these two professions didn't come about until the twin towers fell and the mainstream media made a big deal about the NYFD. Before then police were pigs and cops and treated with disrespect.

Unlike you, who Google searches everything and has second hand, third hand, and God knows how much further hand information, I know of what I speak. I'm the son of a retired Chicago policeman (1958-1988) and I grew up in the Mount Greenwood neighborhood, home of Chicago police and fireman and other city workers. And that neighborhood is the same as it was when I was growing up because of the decency and values of the residents.

Now why don't you be a good boy and go back to sticking your head up some butts.

dnf777
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't answer to you Mr. High and Mighty.

If you would read my posts instead of cutting and pasting (ala my Chevy Volt thread) you would know what I do and my educational background.

I

Just like I thought. Unemployed.

I gotta get back to work and earn your unemployment check for you.

Have a nice day. Its on me and the others who WORK on this list.

Search turned up nothing by the way.

dnf777
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
The idolization of these two professions didn't come about until the twin towers fell and the mainstream media made a big deal about the NYFD. Before then police were pigs and cops and treated with disrespect.

I seem to remember police and firemen having patrol units with lights flashing and fire engines lined up for blocks and blocks for their ceremonies.......even before 9-11.

I won't speak for others, but I think you'll probably find yourself all alone in those sentiments.

Just curious, what do you think about our troops?

sandyg
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
DNF, once again with the I, I, I.

It's not all about you! Yardley was smart to disassociate himself from you! How does my being unemployed in Michigan affect you in Pennsylvania?

Once again, you've shown yourself to be a bitter little man who reverts back to insulting and belittling those with whom you disagree. If anything, with your last two posts, you are the one who is looking like a fool!

dnf777
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
DNF, once again with the I, I, I.

It's not all about you! Yardley was smart to disassociate himself from you! How does my being unemployed in Michigan affect you in Pennsylvania?

Once again, you've shown yourself to be a bitter little man who reverts back to insulting and belittling those with whom you disagree. If anything, with your last two posts, you are the one who is looking like a fool!

Because you're a leech on society, that we ALL pay for. Why don't you sell your computer and drop your internet service, buy a suit, and go look for a job instead of ejaculating your insults on the web?

I said I admire the folks here on POTUS for being successful entrepreneurs, business owners, or whatever. I admire all except ONE.

Make that my last THREE posts, including this one. You're so pathetic, you have the nerve to make fun of another's job, while you sit at home and eat government cheese. I hope you send Obama a "thank you" card for that!

sandyg
02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Because you're a leech on society, that we ALL pay for. Why don't you sell your computer and drop your internet service, buy a suit, and go look for a job instead of ejaculating your insults on the web?

I said I admire the folks here on POTUS for being successful entrepreneurs, business owners, or whatever. I admire all except ONE.

Make that my last THREE posts, including this one. You're so pathetic, you have the nerve to make fun of another's job, while you sit at home and eat government cheese. I hope you send Obama a "thank you" card for that!

I'm so happy that I've gotten under your skin. I laugh when I imagine you sitting at your computer, with your head about to explode, all red-faced and bloviating over the likes of little 'ole me. Wake up! I'm nothing more than packets of data appearing on your monitor. I'm not real! Not to you, anyway. And to think that you're the doctor! Ha ha ha!

road kill
02-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Just asking.

Really???

Does this apply to military service as well??

Just askin'..............:cool:

RK

Franco
02-24-2011, 07:16 PM

I'd have no problem sharing my opinion with them, if they asked.

I will say that I thought we had better protection and responce time before they were unionized. And, the union makes it much harder to fire bad cops.

Marvin S
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
I'd have no problem sharing my opinion with them, if they asked.

I will say that I thought we had better protection and responce time before they were unionized. And, the union makes it much harder to fire bad cops.

In the old days, when a new sheriff was elected you also got new cops, still do in some states. But in most, with their CS protection, you end up with a new sheriff & the same bad cops.

dnf777
02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Really???

Does this apply to military service as well??

Just askin'..............:cool:

RK

Of course it does. You know that. At least in my book it does.
I have respect for people who put their butts on the line, and I know you do too. I was going to ask Sandy the Dandy if he was spitting on vets and calling them baby killers, but I don't think I could have any lower opinion of his likes anyway.

Cody Covey
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Of course it does. You know that. At least in my book it does.
I have respect for people who put their butts on the line, and I know you do too. I was going to ask Sandy the Dandy if he was spitting on vets and calling them baby killers, but I don't think I could have any lower opinion of his likes anyway.

You're thinking of Roger anyway :-x

huntinman
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Just like I thought. Unemployed.

I gotta get back to work and earn your unemployment check for you.

Have a nice day. Its on me and the others who WORK on this list.
Search turned up nothing by the way.

Little Rog, you don't have any right to call someone out for their line of work. If someone happens to be out of work, that's their business as well, not yours. You have no clue what someone's personal situation may be, yet you think you know it all. You really need to pull your head out and take a breath every now and then.

I have never put my line of work on the forum. Mainly for privacy reasons. I don't talk job, money, investments or any of that type of thing on forums. So you can search me, and call me unemployed as well, but you would be just as full of $hite then as you usually are.

Sue Kiefer
02-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Seriously people.
You sound just like the daycare kids at my church.:rolleyes:
You guys go from one thread after another and belittle each other.:-x
Stop it already. You sound ridiculous.:-x
Sue

road kill
02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Seriously people.
You sound just like the daycare kids at my church.:rolleyes:
You guys go from one thread after another and belittle each other.:-x
Stop it already. You sound ridiculous.:-x
Sue

OK Mom!!!:D

RK

dnf777
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Little Rog, you don't have any right to call someone out for their line of work. If someone happens to be out of work, that's their business as well, not yours. You have no clue what someone's personal situation may be, yet you think you know it all. You really need to pull your head out and take a breath every now and then.

I have never put my line of work on the forum. Mainly for privacy reasons. I don't talk job, money, investments or any of that type of thing on forums. So you can search me, and call me unemployed as well, but you would be just as full of $hite then as you usually are.

Okay, lets try a little consistency here, and not so much hypocrisy.

I've been told I put my head up people's butts for a living. I've been told to go do the same.

I never made fun of anyone for what they do. But if he's going to attack me FOR working, then I can say what I feel in reply to his NOT working.

You don't have a problem with the things he said, but what I said? That's laughable! Think about it.

If he doesn't want me talking about his lack of work, then maybe he should keep his mouth shut about what I do. I didn't bring it up anyway. HE did.

Now I don't care and I'm not whining. Let him bring it on. Just don't cry when it comes back at him! I've heard of being able to dish it out, but not take it, but this is ridiculous.

I have a damn good job that I'm proud of. I worked very hard to earn the privelege to operate on people. And I take pride in being the best surgeon I can, and earning the reputation I have. There is NO need to attack what I do like he has. Do you condone such behavior? Do you? Where is your referee's hat when insults and derogatory comments are coming my way?

Please, no need to answer. I know the answer full and well. I'm just asking to point out your hypocrisy, and let you think about it.

And also to mention, if you're going to bust on someone for what they do for a living, you might want to do it from a position of being employed yourself. I don't know, and I don't CARE what sandy's situation is. If he behaves in person like he does here, I don't suspect he'll ever hold a job. I know I'd show him the door the first time he popped off like he does here.

That's all I'm saying on this.

road kill
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Okay, lets try a little consistency here, and not so much hypocrisy.

I've been told I put my head up people's butts for a living. I've been told to go do the same.

I never made fun of anyone for what they do. But if he's going to attack me FOR working, then I can say what I feel in reply to his NOT working.

You don't have a problem with the things he said, but what I said? That's laughable! Think about it.

If he doesn't want me talking about his lack of work, then maybe he should keep his mouth shut about what I do. I didn't bring it up anyway. HE did.

Now I don't care and I'm not whining. Let him bring it on. Just don't cry when it comes back at him! I've heard of being able to dish it out, but not take it, but this is ridiculous.

I have a damn good job that I'm proud of. I worked very hard to earn the privelege to operate on people. And I take pride in being the best surgeon I can, and earning the reputation I have. There is NO need to attack what I do like he has. Do you condone such behavior? Do you? Where is your referee's hat when insults and derogatory comments are coming my way?

Please, no need to answer. I know the answer full and well. I'm just asking to point out your hypocrisy, and let you think about it.

And also to mention, if you're going to bust on someone for what they do for a living, you might want to do it from a position of being employed yourself. I don't know, and I don't CARE what sandy's situation is. If he behaves in person like he does here, I don't suspect he'll ever hold a job. I know I'd show him the door the first time he popped off like he does here.

That's all I'm saying on this.

WOW!!!

29 "I's."

Is this what they mean by the "I's have it????":rolleyes:

RK

huntinman
02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
WOW!!!

29 "I's."

Is this what they mean by the "I's have it????":rolleyes:

RK

Sort of like an Obama speech...just a little narcissistic...

sandyg
02-25-2011, 08:36 PM
No comment needed from me. He's doing a great job digging his own hole.

ducknwork
02-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Come on guys...:roll::roll:

I guess this is a good time for me to become kinda scarce around here because this $h1t is getting really old.