PDA

View Full Version : Give us your guns

HPL
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I just caught a piece on TxN about the Austin Police either paying people or giving them gift cards if they would voluntarily relinquish their guns. I know that this kind of thing has gone on in other states, and Austin IS the San Francisco of Texas, but I don't particularly like the idea. It seems pretty unlikely that they will take guns out of the hands of many criminals, and this seems to me to be a way to say "guns in and of themselves are bad and a danger to those who own the. If you have a gun, please give it to the government and let us protect you from yourself". Pretty bad when this happens in TEXAS!!

dnf777
02-27-2011, 07:43 PM
When they did that in Pennsylvania, many took in old junk guns, or disassembled them and turned them in as multiple guns, then donated the money to the NRA!!

Gun buy back programs have repeatedly been shown to do NOTHING to reduce crime.

TxHillHunter
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I just caught a piece on TxN about the Austin Police either paying people or giving them gift cards if they would voluntarily relinquish their guns. I know that this kind of thing has gone on in other states, and Austin IS the San Francisco of Texas, but I don't particularly like the idea. It seems pretty unlikely that they will take guns out of the hands of many criminals, and this seems to me to be a way to say "guns in and of themselves are bad and a danger to those who own the. If you have a gun, please give it to the government and let us protect you from yourself". Pretty bad when this happens in TEXAS!!

While I don't disagree about your Austin sentiments (the Hill Country to the West remains a conservative bastion though), these buy back programs have occurred in Dallas/Ft. Worth as well. Idiocy knows no bounds....

Uncle Bill
02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Idiocy knows no bounds...

AMEN, Brother!

Feel good politics. Makes for good comedy among the thieves, hoodlums and gangsters.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the cops run a full page newspaper thank you to all those that turned in their guns? That would rank right up there with the guy that posted a sign on his lawn that pointed to his neighbor, concerning their views on gun ownership.

Only in America...can you get a quicker response from a pizza delivery than an ambulance, or a 911 call.

KEEP YOUR GUNS, PEOPLE...AND KEEP THEM LOADED AND READY!

UB