PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA vs NFL owners

BonMallari
03-03-2011, 08:58 AM
well its come down to the final hours, another labor dispute, management vs labor...except now its millionaires vs billionaires..who do you side with

IMHO I side with the owners, even though they created the problem by paying outrageous salaries in the first place...wait till some of these players start missing game checks, they tend to forget that the owners already made their money in other ventures, they are not dependent on the NFL franchise to make a living

road kill
03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
well its come down to the final hours, another labor dispute, management vs labor...except now its millionaires vs billionaires..who do you side with

IMHO I side with the owners, even though they created the problem by paying outrageous salaries in the first place...wait till some of these players start missing game checks, they tend to forget that the owners already made their money in other ventures, they are not dependent on the NFL franchise to make a living

YEP, a lot of these college educated people playing football in the NFL will be hard pressed to get a job at McDonalds.

They hardly have the people skills for that.
The poor indentured servants..........:rolleyes:

RK

Franco
03-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I think both the owners and players should take a cut so that they can lower ticket prices so that fans and not just corporate sponsors can afford tickets!

Return Pro Football To The Fans!

I am also against state governments paying cash tribute to owners who blackmail loyal fans by threatening to move the team if they don't get what they want.

Team names should be the property of the city and if an owner decides to move a team, they won't be able to take the name with them.

M&K's Retrievers
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I think both the owners and players should take a cut so that they can lower ticket prices so that fans and not just corporate sponsors can afford tickets!

I am also against state governments paying cash tribute to owners who blackmail loyal fans by threatening to move the team if they don't get what they want.

Team names should be the property of the city and if an owner decides to move a team, they won't be able to take the name with them.

Good luck with that.

BonMallari
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I'll go one step further, when an owner gets a franchise in one city,unless the league can show that the city cant support a franchise the owner cant move the team without selling it to someone that will keep the team in the city

M&K's Retrievers
03-03-2011, 09:38 AM

I'm with Bon on this. Why do individually contracted players need or deserve union "protection". Most of these players are set for life or at least do pretty well for guys just out of college who have plenty of time for another career after football.

dnf777
03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
One word:

NCAA

Gerry Clinchy
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
They need a union because we regularly see that these young guys have no clue about what to do with all the money they get while playing ... and many of them end up broke, financially & physically. They don't seem to have the capacity to plan for the future.

If the union wanted to help these guys it would be making them safer, and providing for a mandatory savings program for them (that the union never gets to touch!)

BonMallari
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
One word:

NCAA

what do you mean..

I think the players are going to lose and lose big...its going to be difficult for the players to get much fan sympathy,especially when the true fan can hardly afford a ticket to a game, and will probably not earn in a lifetime what some of these guys make in a single year..

M&K's Retrievers
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
They need a union because we regularly see that these young guys have no clue about what to do with all the money they get while playing ... and many of them end up broke, financially & physically. They don't seem to have the capacity to plan for the future.

If the union wanted to help these guys it would be making them safer, and providing for a mandatory savings program for them (that the union never gets to touch!)

The union doesn't protect the guys from blowing their money. They have agents and financial advisers to help them with that. If a person is signing a contract with an employer, that contract should cover wages, benefits, etc. If they need a union, why don't they set pay scale based on position, length of service, etc. so all these prima donnas would earn the same. The players want their salary based on their individual performance but their benefits based on their ability to strike.

Best of both worlds regards,

BonMallari
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
it all starts with paying draftees outrageous sums of money based on where they are drafted...when a rookie get paid more than a tested veteran something in the system is flawed...I am all for a player getting what he can while he can

BUT

I think the biggest scavenger in the whole process is the sports agent, they are basically licensed extortionists, flesh peddlers, and glorified pimps...they make up these contracts and basically put a Luca Brasi offer to the owner, and as long as there are the Daniel Snyder's and Jerry Jones owners out there the players will get someone to pay the salary

Roger Perry
03-03-2011, 10:47 AM
what do you mean..

I think the players are going to lose and lose big...its going to be difficult for the players to get much fan sympathy,especially when the true fan can hardly afford a ticket to a game, and will probably not earn in a lifetime what some of these guys make in a single year..

Change that to signing bonus.:shock:

T. Mac
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Might be worth rooting for the lockout!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Lingerie-football-league-NFL-might-move-to-Sundays-030211

T. Mac

dnf777
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
what do you mean..

Remember the baseball strike? It introduced millions of fans to their local AAA teams, and some very nice minor league stadiums around the country. You could get in for a couple bucks, get more reasonably priced concessions, and see young kids playing with enthusiasm, and a few "old dogs" showing them how its done.

I haven't been to a MLB game since. If the millionaires and billionaires can't work it out, screw them and their multibillion dollar sanitized stadiums. I'll stick to the Friday night lights and Saturday college football.

Just on a side note, the vast majority of NFL players make less than 500k, and the average NFL career is something like 2 1/2 years. So the Big Bens and Tom Bradies are still a rarity. But I'm not going to cleave one ATP molecule defending them.....what have they done for my proposed 21% medicare cuts?? ;-)

BonMallari
03-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Remember the baseball strike? It introduced millions of fans to their local AAA teams, and some very nice minor league stadiums around the country. You could get in for a couple bucks, get more reasonably priced concessions, and see young kids playing with enthusiasm, and a few "old dogs" showing them how its done.

I haven't been to a MLB game since. If the millionaires and billionaires can't work it out, screw them and their multibillion dollar sanitized stadiums. I'll stick to the Friday night lights and Saturday college football.

Just on a side note, the vast majority of NFL players make less than 500k, and the average NFL career is something like 2 1/2 years. So the Big Bens and Tom Bradies are still a rarity. But I'm not going to cleave one ATP molecule defending them.....what have they done for my proposed 21% medicare cuts?? ;-)

Ok now I see where you are coming from, and I get it, and agree...in today's world if the NFL shuts down people will flock to NCAA games and you will see the rebirth of Arena Football..

I too have not returned to an MLB game, but remain a Dodger fan

Franco
03-04-2011, 09:12 AM
The LFL to the resuce!

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/offbeat/lingerie-football-league-could-move-games-to-sunday-in-nfl-lockout-030311

No matter what, we will have Pro Football this next season on Sunday afternoons.

road kill
03-04-2011, 09:17 AM
The LFL to the resuce!

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/offbeat/lingerie-football-league-could-move-games-to-sunday-in-nfl-lockout-030311

No matter what, we will have Pro Football this next season on Sunday afternoons.

Franco.....I heard the players are demanding roofs over all stadiums, cuase it get to cold and wet outside!!!!!:D

stan b

Franco
03-04-2011, 09:22 AM
WHAT!?!

Not the players for the Green Bay Chill! They bees real women playing under any conditions; rain, snow, sleet, blizzard or obnoxious fans.

The are promising another title for Title Town.

road kill
03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
WHAT!?!

Not the players for the Green Bay Chill! They bees real women playing under any conditions; rain, snow, sleet, blizzard or obnoxious fans.

The are promising another title for Title Town.

Oh no, I am not buying into that stuff.
It's a new season and there are 13 teams that are legit at least.

NO, Balt, GB, Jets, Giants, Colts, NE, SD, Atlanta, TB, Philly, KC, Tennesee

The rest are kinda also rans.........;-)

RK

Franco
03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh no, I am not buying into that stuff.
It's a new season and there are 13 teams that are legit at least.

NO, Balt, GB, Jets, Giants, Colts, NE, SD, Atlanta, TB, Philly, KC, Tennesee

The rest are kinda also rans.........;-)

RK

IMO, you can take Atlanta off that list..

Atlanta had thier shot last season and I don't think they will play anywhere close to last season's level in the coming season.

Gunners Up
03-04-2011, 07:29 PM
A little NFL inside, back story here. When Gene Upshaw was alive, the Executive Directors torch for the NFLPA was to be passed from Gene to Trace Armstrong upon Gene's retirement. Before Gene retired he was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and three days later he was dead.

Gene's passing created a vacuum within the NFLPA. Although he had made his intentions known within the unions inner circle of wanting Trace to lead, he had never publicly made his intentions known to the press. So an executive search committee is hired to interview and find the most qualified candidates. Three emerge: Trace Armstrong (15 year NFL Vet, 8 year President of NFLPA during it's most lucrative period ever), Troy Vincent (15 year NFL Vet, 6 year President of the NFLPA and touted as one of it's strongest leaders) and DeMaurice Smith (Washington D.C. Lawyer, O Years NFL Vet, 0 Years President of NFLPA).

So who do the players elect? The relatively unknown DeMaurice Smith, the Washington D.C. lawyer who has 0 sweat equity invested in the game or the players union. Why did the players reps. elect him. Because of his supposed close ties to President Barack Obama. The players figured with a Washington lawyer @ the helm with ties to a pro-labor President of the US they could do no wrong.......

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but my money is on the Owners.

Rich

M&K's Retrievers
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I'm for the owners. Why should the employees run the company?

cotts135
03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
it all starts with paying draftees outrageous sums of money based on where they are drafted...when a rookie get paid more than a tested veteran something in the system is flawed...I am all for a player getting what he can while he can

BUT

I think the biggest scavenger in the whole process is the sports agent, they are basically licensed extortionists, flesh peddlers, and glorified pimps...they make up these contracts and basically put a Luca Brasi offer to the owner, and as long as there are the Daniel Snyder's and Jerry Jones owners out there the players will get someone to pay the salary

Bingo, right on the money.

T. Mac
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Got to ask the question: How does a judge order a dissolved organization back to the bargaining table? Does the NFLPA exist or doesn't it? Or is this just further proof that Unions have an unfair bargaining right that business can't compete with?

T. Mac