PDA

View Full Version : Honor Code?

Marvin S
03-04-2011, 09:05 PM
BYU was ranked 4th in the nation, looked to be a #1 seed in the Big Dance, & suspend (for having sex) their star center for the rest of the season. They immediately look very common in their next outing & might not even get a bid.

What say you?

He should have gone to Auburn, they'd have looked the other way & convinced the NCAA to do same, is'nt that what SEC schools do? But BYU has an honor code & expects their student athletes (regardless of prowess) to live up to it :cool:.

WRL
03-04-2011, 09:08 PM
He knew it before he committed the "crime".

So, he needs to do the time.

WRL

BrianW
03-04-2011, 09:38 PM
"Follow a "code"? But I thought you said "follow a Kobe"! :p

Maybe that why we don't see the service academies at the Big Dance?
A "honor code" is so much like "a government of the past", you can't "win the future" with that! :rolleyes:

Gunners Up
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
He knew it before he committed the "crime".

WRL

Not really a crime more like an assault with a blunt object!!!! But you're right, you know the schools rules going in. What I want to know is who policies this rule? Do other students snitch on one another? Seems like that would create a strange dynamic in the student body.

Glad I went to ASU!

Rich

Gunners Up
03-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm sure that ruling did wonders for next years recruiting class!!!!

BonMallari
03-05-2011, 03:57 AM
I hope that we are all not naiive enough to think that BYU alumnists like Ty Detmer, Steve Young, Danny Ainge, Johnny Miller and Jim McMahon were all celibate like monks during their tenure at the university..:rolleyes:

Utah gals are very smart....I went to a minor league baseball game in Salt Lake City one summer after dog training..the team was the AAA affiliate for the California Angels, the number of eligible future major league millionaires were there for the choosing..there were a bevy of females sitting behind the Angels bench with programs in their hands very well aware of who were in line to get called up to the major leagues...

Roger Perry
03-05-2011, 05:19 AM
BYU was ranked 4th in the nation, looked to be a #1 seed in the Big Dance, & suspend (for having sex) their star center for the rest of the season. They immediately look very common in their next outing & might not even get a bid.

What say you?

He should have gone to Auburn, they'd have looked the other way & convinced the NCAA to do same, is'nt that what SEC schools do? But BYU has an honor code & expects their student athletes (regardless of prowess) to live up to it :cool:.

Hell, Auburn would have set him up with a harem.:grin:

Two college grads were sitting in a bar talking. One said to the other "only football players and whores go to Auburn." The second grad said "my wife went to Auburn" and the first said "what position did she play"

Franco
03-05-2011, 05:48 AM

What say you?

Marv, being jealous of the SEC is not healthy. Just because they are heads and shoulders better in Football than any other conferece is no reason to get yourself so worked up over them. Last time I checked, the NCAA governs most of college Football.

Yes, we all know the BYU students are abstaining from sex. With a school that Draconian, I hate to see what goes on behind closed doors. I would think a much higher incident of boy on boy/girl on girl kind of sex. Those are he things that happen in a repressive society/school. If they think they can stop young adults from having hetro sex then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

road kill
03-05-2011, 07:45 AM

What say you?

BYU has an agreement detailing all the rules and what the consequences are for violating these rules.

It is a contract that one MUST sign before accepting the scholarship.

He signed his name and didn't live up to his word.

I am learning things such as "honor," "respect," "duty" and living up to your word mean little to many who post here.
But at BYU it does indeed still mean something.

Snicker, laugh, make fun all you want of things you don't understand.

stan b

Franco
03-05-2011, 08:06 AM
BYU has an agreement detailing all the rules and what the consequences are for violating these rules.

It is a contract that one MUST sign before accepting the scholarship.

He signed his name and didn't live up to his word.

I am learning things such as "honor," "respect," "duty" and living up to your word mean little to many who post here.
But at BYU it does indeed still mean something.

Snicker, laugh, make fun all you want of things you don't understand.

stan b

Unrealistic requirments of young, healthy red-blooded coeds is why they never work. I'm sure if they really looked around they would discover this isn't an isolated case.

road kill
03-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Unrealistic requirments of young, healthy red-blooded coeds is why they never work. I'm sure if they really looked around they would discover this isn't an isolated case.

If you can't live up to the contract, don't sign it and take the money.

My Dad taught me that.
Thanks Pop!!!:D

stan b

TxHillHunter
03-05-2011, 09:11 AM
If you can't live up to the contract, don't sign it and take the money.

My Dad taught me that.
Thanks Pop!!!:D

stan b

AMEN to that! Ignoring the common view that such an expectation is "unrealistic" just because some can't handle it - and instead maintaining the honor of your word is what I learned from my dad as well RK!

I refuse to accept that it's unrealistic for a man to honor his word.

precisionlabradors
03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
plenty of people make it through that school without having sex. it's not impossible.

Julie R.
03-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm not familiar w/the honor code at BYU, but UVA had one (still does, although I believe it's been watered down a bit). When I was there, you signed a pledge that you agreed to abide by it with the understanding that lying, cheating and stealing were honor offenses that would get you expelled. It is a good concept although during my 4 years there UVA never had the outstanding sports teams of the other ACC schools without honor codes. But that was also in part because Virginia did not relax admissions standings for athletes, either and all of theirs used to be able to read and write.

I agree with Frank that it's not very realistic to expect college students to abstain from sex, but there's nothing wrong with a code of honesty and accountability at institutes of higher learning. Far too few of them even care. And I also agree with Stan: If you know the rules going in and especially if you're getting a free ride, you don't get a free pass because you choose to ignore them.

sinner
03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
He went to the coach and told him what he had done. Good for the coach to uphold their rules but I wonder how this will play outside their religious community?
Anyone here ever been on the BYU campus?. Lots of different stuff there. I wonder if he moves to southern Utah if he can then have plenty of wives?
While there once on Friday night in our pre game walk through I had a BYU Officer tell me I could not smoke my cigar in the out of doors on BYU property.
I lived in Salt Lake City for 18 months, nice place to visit, judge or run.
What schools had no arrests of athletes last year? Take a look at the last SI. TCU and Colorado. Poor old Dan Hawkins won the battle but loss the war!

BonMallari
03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
He went to the coach and told him what he had done. Good for the coach to uphold their rules but I wonder how this will play outside their religious community?
Anyone here ever been on the BYU campus?. Lots of different stuff there. I wonder if he moves to southern Utah if he can then have plenty of wives?
While there once on Friday night in our pre game walk through I had a BYU Officer tell me I could not smoke my cigar in the out of doors on BYU property.
I lived in Salt Lake City for 18 months, nice place to visit, judge or run.
What schools had no arrests of athletes last year? Take a look at the last SI. TCU and Colorado. Poor old Dan Hawkins won the battle but loss the war!

drive down University drive regularly on my way to eastern Idaho because its a shortcut to IH 80 and Evanston Wy...still looking for a Starbucks, I know where one location is, have it bookmarked in the Garmin...they closed the other one off I-15 just outside of Provo:mad:

Marvin S
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Marv, being jealous of the SEC is not healthy. Just because they are heads and shoulders better in Football than any other conference is no reason to get yourself so worked up over them. Last time I checked, the NCAA governs most of college Football.

Yes, we all know the BYU students are abstaining from sex. With a school that Draconian, I hate to see what goes on behind closed doors. I would think a much higher incident of boy on boy/girl on girl kind of sex. Those are he things that happen in a repressive society/school. If they think they can stop young adults from having hetro sex then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

I believe it will play quite well with BYU's donors. I donate to a university for their stand on refusing government help, which teaches a lesson early :o. & I have no thoughts on the SEC, except they apparently have low conduct standards.

UW just had a kid busted, marijuana, who had the potential to get significant playing time at the RB position. Mother is a cop :rolleyes:. The leading scorer in the PAC-10 this year gets busted for the same offense, WSU is a bubble team & he's not on it so they are hurting. His dad, the 1978 #1 pick in the NBA draft is not very happy with his kid & is very public about it.

IMO - if young folks go through their formative years without ethical guidance adults have not done their job. I applaud all involved including the young man for their actions, though I believe the code a little puritan.

Back when guys my size could play 4 positions on many teams & BYU was ranked in the top 10 regularly I was offered the opportunity to go to BYU. Not sure I would have signed that pledge ;-).

BonMallari
03-05-2011, 05:47 PM
UW just had a kid busted, marijuana, who had the potential to get significant playing time at the RB position. Mother is a cop :rolleyes:. The leading scorer in the PAC-10 this year gets busted for the same offense, WSU is a bubble team & he's not on it so they are hurting. His dad, the 1978 #1 pick in the NBA draft is not very happy with his kid & is very public about it.

youre talking about Mychal Thompson's (former Laker and T-Blazer) son, love the fact that Mychal blasted his son on his talk radio program in LA and basically challenged his son to man up and accept his punishment and own up to his mistake....we need more parents like MT

sinner
03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
youre talking about Mychal Thompson's (former Laker and T-Blazer) son, love the fact that Mychal blasted his son on his talk radio program in LA and basically challenged his son to man up and accept his punishment and own up to his mistake....we need more parents like MT

You can't buy it and you can't create success & happiness for you children. You can only hope that they want it and do your best. It is tough out there for many young people today in many ways.

Franco
03-05-2011, 07:22 PM
I believe it will play quite well with BYU's donors. I donate to a university for their stand on refusing government help, which teaches a lesson early :o. & I have no thoughts on the SEC, except they apparently have low conduct standards.

IMO - if young folks go through their formative years without ethical guidance adults have not done their job. I applaud all involved including the young man for their actions, though I believe the code a little puritan.

Back when guys my size could play 4 positions on many teams & BYU was ranked in the top 10 regularly I was offered the opportunity to go to BYU. Not sure I would have signed that pledge ;-).

All of the major conferences have similar standards. I understand that sectarian schools are different.

I wouldn't sign that pledge as I think it important to live the total college experience;-)

BrianW
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
This is sure an interesting dichotomy between two schools; BYU disciplines a player for having sex, and Northwestern's president initially defends "extracurricular" live use of, cough, "toys".
Wow!

I guess you get your money's worth, $49,791 annual tuition for 2009-10 at NW. :D