PDA

View Full Version : Another BIG Victory for Obama!!!!!

road kill
03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Errr....uhhhh....ooooops!!

Obama to resume military commission trials for Guantánamo detainees
By Sam Youngman - 03/07/11 03:07 PM ET

President Obama on Monday ordered trials by military commission to resume at Guantánamo Bay.

The move signals another defeat for Obama, who pledged to close the terrorist detention facility in Cuba within one year of taking office.

In a fact sheet, the White House said Obama “remains committed” to closing the facility, but the president’s decision to lift the ban on military commissions signals the unlikelihood that Obama will successfully transfer all of the prisoners in Cuba.

Shortly after Obama came to office and announced his goal of closing the facility, the administration suspended new charges in military commissions in Cuba.

But on Monday, Obama directed Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to “issue an order rescinding his prior suspension on the swearing and referring of new charges in the military commissions.”

The White House said that the president ordered changes in how the commissions were run to make them more fair.

“The administration, working on a bipartisan basis with members of Congress, has successfully enacted key reforms, such as a ban on the use of statements taken as a result of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment and a better system for handling classified information,” the White House said.

“With these and other reforms, military commissions, along with prosecutions of suspected terrorists in civilian courts, are an available and important tool in combating international terrorists that fall within their jurisdiction while upholding the rule of law.”

Additionally, Obama by executive order created a periodic review process for detainees who cannot be tried or released because they represent a continued threat to national security.

The White House said the review “will help to ensure that individuals who we have determined will be subject to long-term detention continue to be detained only when lawful and necessary to protect against a significant threat to the security of the United States.”

“If a final determination is made that a detainee no longer constitutes a significant threat to our security, the Executive Order provides that the Secretaries of State and Defense are to identify a suitable transfer location outside the United States, consistent with the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States and applicable law,” the fact sheet said. “As the president has stated before, no Guantánamo detainee will be released into the United States.”

Wellllll, maybe next year.:D

RK

starjack
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Just goes to show the boy is in way over his head. He's like a fish out of water. I swear if he would just once do what he said he was going to do. The only thing he wanted to do was show up the clintens on healthcare and screwed that up to. Now gas prices are sky rocketing that should do great things for a economy thats shaky at best. ( Just when the bush tax cut were extended)Now to think we have two more years of this floundering fool. I know he is the president and i should show respect but i will give respect when he earns it and makeing false promises and back room deals and apoligizeing for our great USA . I might be polite at best.

road kill
03-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Where is all the lefty outrage....no I mean support....no wait, OUTRAGE////Wait ahhh support??

Wait.....what the heck.....where do you all stand on this???

You hate Gitmo, but it's OK cause Obama said so???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RK

precisionlabradors
03-08-2011, 05:31 PM
this dem don't give a $hit about gitmo. never really have. poor babies. ha

starjack
03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
this dem don't give a $hit about gitmo. never really have. poor babies. ha

Mabey you should

starjack
03-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Where is all the lefty outrage....no I mean support....no wait, OUTRAGE////Wait ahhh support??

RK

UM WELL AHH STILL WAITING:(

dnf777
03-08-2011, 09:29 PM

RK

Already talked about this one. But if you say how you feel about Boehner taking in 120 rounds of golf last year, I'll repeat what I think of Obama's handling of Gitmo.

Deal?

road kill
03-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Already talked about this one. But if you say how you feel about Boehner taking in 120 rounds of golf last year, I'll repeat what I think of Obama's handling of Gitmo.

Deal?

Hey, Dr, Genius, did Boehner run on a campaign promise about golf???

Did Obama run on a campaign promise about Gitmo??

See the difference???

I didn't think so!!!!!:rolleyes:

RK

dnf777
03-09-2011, 03:30 PM

See the difference???

RK

So you choose not to engage in conversation. That's fine.

Funny thing is.....we agree on Obama's mismanagement and broken promise. But you're more hell-bent on fighting and sniping than discussion. Have fun.

precisionlabradors
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Mabey you should
tell me why...

sandyg
03-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Road kill, why did you take DNF off of IGNORE? You must really be a glutton for punishment. If it wasn't for people quoting him it would be like he went away, which would be the best thing for this forum.

WRL
03-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Deal?

Well lets see, there are 52 weeks in a year and each weekend has 2 days. So that makes 104 weekend days. That of course does not include any holidays. There 10 plus holidays so that makes at least 114 possible days to play golf (not including any "misc" holidays).

There is one Gitmo......Obama talked about shutting down 1 Gitmo. There is still 1 Gitmo open.

So, do you think the two examples are equal? I am pretty sure that Obama is batting ZERO on closing Gitmo.

WRL

huntinman
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Well lets see, there are 52 weeks in a year and each weekend has 2 days. So that makes 104 weekend days. That of course does not include any holidays. There 10 plus holidays so that makes at least 114 possible days to play golf (not including any "misc" holidays).

There is one Gitmo......Obama talked about shutting down 1 Gitmo. There is still 1 Gitmo open.

So, do you think the two examples are equal? I am pretty sure that Obama is batting ZERO on closing Gitmo.

WRL

OUCH! .

dnf777
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM

WRL

All that's fine and true. And I'm pissed at Obama for not closing it down. Like I said, the reason he was down in the polls, was mainly for his continuation of Bush policies. No? War in A-stan? Gitmo? Tax cuts for wealthiest corporations? Wiretapping private citizens w/o warrants?

Guess who's babies those all are! And Obama adopted every one of them!

The reference to Boehner was not meant to be a direct comparison. It was brought up here to see if someone who was irked at Obama for playing a round of golf, was ALSO applying the same standard to a republican, who played not a few, but 120 rounds. No comparison asked for, just a comment about how appropriate it was. That's all.

Now, I freely and loudly admit that I'm pissed at Obama for screwing up.
Can ANYONE from the right admit that Boehner has ever done wrong? That maybe 120 rounds of golf seems a little excessive for someone supposedly on the public payroll? Especially when congress can't balance a checkbook??

Just curious.

starjack
03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
tell me why...

9/11 !!!! With this floundering fool on top who knows what he will do. Give them all a slap on the wrist and let them go. I say if he wanted to close gitmo fine but make sure the occupants not be around any more. If you know what i mean.

caryalsobrook
03-09-2011, 04:47 PM

See the difference???

RK

Legitimate complaint about Speaker Boehner. If he was going to play golf, the least he cold do is take the President with him. Getting him away from the oval officeand away from the business of the government would deserve a metal:)

dnf777
03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Here is why, when he posts something like this;

It's fun to taunt him.

Because if he is as smart as he claims, he knows the folly of this post....and if he doesn't....well.....it's my duty to teach him!!!!!:D

RK

Yes! Taunting is FUN!!!

You should have seen two full grown men get their ovaries in a twist over being asked to support a wild-arse claim of teachers being the highest paid in the country when they couldn't.........an another for playing on a tax-payer supported welfare computer, eating gov't nachos, complaining about government handouts while enjoying HIS, instead of looking for a job!!!

Now THAT was fun!!
Hey, there's enough to go around for everyone! :D:D:D

WRL
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes! Taunting is FUN!!!

You should have seen two full grown men get their ovaries in a twist over being asked to support a wild-arse claim of teachers being the highest paid in the country when they couldn't.........an another for playing on a tax-payer supported welfare computer, eating gov't nachos, complaining about government handouts while enjoying HIS, instead of looking for a job!!!

Now THAT was fun!!

WOW Dave! It seems to me that you would be the LAST person kicking someone for being on "assistance" for whatever when your family was on it. Wasn't it while you were going to school?

WRL

road kill
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes! Taunting is FUN!!!

Now THAT was fun!!

I'll give you that you are consistent.

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the over use of personal pro-nouns.

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................

RK__________________

Gerry Clinchy
03-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Like I said, the reason he was down in the polls, was mainly for his continuation of Bush policies. No? War in A-stan? Gitmo? Tax cuts for wealthiest corporations? Wiretapping private citizens w/o warrants?

Guess who's babies those all are! And Obama adopted every one of them!

I guess this would mean that O either
1) Knew that the promises he was making would not be kept; OR
2) Was ignorant of what it would take to keep the promises.

Either way ... politics as usual.

Dave! It seems to me that you would be the LAST person kicking someone for being on "assistance" for whatever when your family was on it. Wasn't it while you were going to school?

Low blow there. I think that Dave is the perfect example of what public assistance should accomplish: giving a hand up so that the recipient will become a responsible contributor to the society ... not a permanent lifestyle.

My sense would be that Dave has long ago repaid, with interest, his "debt" through paying his fair share of taxes. Additionally, he served his country.

We would be very fortunate if every able-bodied person who received public assistance ended up like Dave. There'd be fewer people on public assistance, and more taxpayers.

BrianW
03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Can ANYONE from the right admit that Boehner has ever done wrong?
Just curious.

Yes. He is wasting the mandate that The People gave him and the Repubs.
We owe 200 Billion a year on the interest on the debt alone.
4 - 6 Billion in Demo Rat "cuts" are a sad joke.
Even at 60 B in cuts we still have to borrow money just to pay the interest.
Is that really so hard to explain to the American people?
If he can't then we need someone who can.
Instead we hear - "Well this isn't really a Republican budget..."
:roll:
We are running out of time.
Rapidly.

WRL
03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Low blow there. I think that Dave is the perfect example of what public assistance should accomplish: giving a hand up so that the recipient will become a responsible contributor to the society ... not a permanent lifestyle.

My sense would be that Dave has long ago repaid, with interest, his "debt" through paying his fair share of taxes. Additionally, he served his country.

We would be very fortunate if every able-bodied person who received public assistance ended up like Dave. There'd be fewer people on public assistance, and more taxpayers.

How is that a low blow? He calls someone on the carpet for "receiving gov't assistance" when his family has also received assistance? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black there.

I have no idea the circumstances of the individual that he "calls out" and I doubt he does either.

As far as Dave "serving his country", well that's great but a great many people have done that including my son and brother. Oh yeah, my brother did 30 years.

WRL

dnf777
03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
WOW Dave! It seems to me that you would be the LAST person kicking someone for being on "assistance" for whatever when your family was on it. Wasn't it while you were going to school?

WRL

I am the last person, as you mention. But I make an exception when someone is on relief (ie mine and YOUR tax dollars going into his pocket) and then bashes someone else for what they do at their job! He was called to the carpet for his behavior, not for being on relief. Big difference. Gov't assistance comes in many forms, and I don't begrudge anyone for taking advantage of it, as long as they're carrying their own weight and are a net-positive on society.

Yes, my family was on WIC for one year. It is a great program that helps those in need. I am grateful that it was there when we needed it, and want to make sure its there for others who need it as well. I am not one bit ashamed that we used it. It helped enable us to stay in school, and make a better future for our family and others.

WRL
03-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I am the last person, as you mention. But I make an exception when someone is on relief (ie mine and YOUR tax dollars going into his pocket) and then bashes someone else for what they do at their job! He was called to the carpet for his behavior, not for being on relief. Big difference. Gov't assistance comes in many forms, and I don't begrudge anyone for taking advantage of it, as long as they're carrying their own weight and are a net-positive on society.

Yes, my family was on WIC for one year. It is a great program that helps those in need. I am grateful that it was there when we needed it, and want to make sure its there for others who need it as well. I am not one bit ashamed that we used it. It helped enable us to stay in school, and make a better future for our family and others.

And that is what it is for, to help out.

I don't know the circumstances that the other person is collecting money from, and frankly its not my business but I doubt you do either. So its a little uncalled for to call him out for using gov't assistance when YOU have used it.

THAT"S a low blow. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

WRL

road kill
03-09-2011, 07:11 PM

"I'll give you that you are consistent.

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the propensity for the over use of personal pro-nouns.

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................"

You should be the last person here to "call someone on the carpet" for their behavior.

That is classic.

Too many burned bridges partner.:cool:

RK

dnf777
03-09-2011, 08:20 PM
"I'll give you that you are consistent.

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the over use of personal pro-nouns.

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................"

You should be the last person here to "call someone on the carpet" for their behavior.

That is classic.

Too many burned bridges partner.:cool:

RK

LMAO!!!

You said its fun to taunt! Well Buddy, the shoe's on the other foot!

After the insults, and personal attacks he threw at me, I have no tears for him! HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!! (is that how you spell it?)

WRL: Sandy's back on ignore for me, so I'll stop the bickering. But after being told I stick my head up people's butts for a living, I'm sorry, I just can't work up any crocodile tears for him. Hey, if someone can't stand the heat, they should stay out of the kitchen!

Its been fun! :D

WRL
03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
LMAO!!!

You said its fun to taunt! Well Buddy, the shoe's on the other foot!

After the insults, and personal attacks he threw at me, I have no tears for him! HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!! (is that how you spell it?)

WRL: Sandy's back on ignore for me, so I'll stop the bickering. But after being told I stick my head up people's butts for a living, I'm sorry, I just can't work up any crocodile tears for him. Hey, if someone can't stand the heat, they should stay out of the kitchen!

Its been fun! :D

Well, you got gov't assistance, he got gov't assistance. Kind of all the same.

As far as what you do for a living, hey, you picked the field. Kind of like a lawyer complaining about lawyer jokes. Jokes were around before you became a doctor.

Why would you let it bother you what he says about what you do for a living? Somebody's got to do it.

WRL

dnf777
03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Well, you got gov't assistance, he got gov't assistance. Kind of all the same.

As far as what you do for a living, hey, you picked the field. Kind of like a lawyer complaining about lawyer jokes. Jokes were around before you became a doctor.

Why would you let it bother you what he says about what you do for a living? Somebody's got to do it.

WRL

I'll be just fine, believe me. I don't lay awake at night wondering what sandy thinks of me!! :D:D

He shouldn't be bothered either then, about what I say? I'm just giving a little back, that's all. Some people can dish it out, but just can't take it.

He's off my radar anyway.

Have a good one. More rain here tonite. Just what we need.
At least I can do some water retrieves in my front yard for a while.

M&K's Retrievers
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM

WRL

Guilt........

Gerry Clinchy
03-09-2011, 10:28 PM
How is that a low blow? He calls someone on the carpet for "receiving gov't assistance" when his family has also received assistance? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black there.

I have no idea the circumstances of the individual that he "calls out" and I doubt he does either.

My sense was that he was referring to the # of rounds of golf played by a politician (Boehner) who gets plenty of perks (like the other legislators) to go along with the job ... and all of them get those perks usually for a lot longer than one year.

As far as Dave "serving his country", well that's great but a great many people have done that including my son and brother. Oh yeah, my brother did 30 years.

While at least a few have dredged up the public assistance reminder, not many will bring up the service. All of us, I think, appreciate greatly all those who have served their country, so mentioning that point was surely not meant to lessen the value of the service of any others.

Many good minds in this group ... the chickensplt gets in the way of some really good discussions :-)

WRL
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Many good minds in this group ... the chickensplt gets in the way of some really good discussions :-)

He was not referring to a politician. He was referring to Sandy (as you can see by the posts after mine).

Can't call someone on gov't assistance if you have fed from the trough also.

WRL

M&K's Retrievers
03-10-2011, 07:27 AM
DNF is a mess. I can't attack someone with obvious mental problems. He's POTUS Place's version of Charlie Sheen.

Now that right there is funny.

dnf777
03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
DNF is a mess. I can't attack someone with obvious mental problems. He's POTUS Place's version of Charlie Sheen.

DNF is just fine, and gainfully employed, supporting your butt!

And enjoying jerking your chain!!

(sorry, I read the forum w/o signing in, so you weren't blocked!) :(

caryalsobrook
03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

I keep reading post #96:)