PDA

View Full Version : Warning Of Food Price Riots In The UK

BrianW
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
More "apocalyptica" for y'all:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110308/tuk-warning-of-food-price-riots-in-the-u-45dbed5.html

A senior economist at the worldwide bank HSBC has warned of civil unrest in Britain if food prices continue to soar.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, senior global economist Karen Ward cautioned that the UK could experience the kind of food riots seen in other countries.

"Even in the developed world I think we have very, very low wage growth, so people aren't getting more in their pay packet to compensate them for food and energy, and I think we could see social unrest certainly in parts of the developed world and the UK as well."

""More and more we are seeing that some of these foodstuffs are actually substitutes for energy itself, particularly biofuels. So I think the energy markets are a significant contributor to these food price gains."The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further."

Check out some of the comments on this website: :shock:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread671636/pg1
Talking about about having to protect themselves with swords & poaching with crossbows! & air rifles! " as we're not allowed to have guns (in the UK).

Originally posted by Abductee001
I got elbowed in the ribs tonight looking at the student section in my local asda! Almost had my hands on a cheap pizza when a lady in her late 40's barged me out of the way to grab the pizza and some sliced ham and a packet of sausage rolls. Did still manage to get a cheap loaf and some pasties http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

& response:

You've got to be pretty tough, determined and wily when it comes to getting your hands on the reduced food in Asda, I almost risked death the other week when i got my hands on four sirloin steaks for £1.50 each and half a leg of lamb for £2.50, but damn it was worth it, my family doesn't get to eat food like this any more because prices have sky rocketed.

Hold on folks, it's gettin ugly out there. Are you hearing about this on CBS, CNN etc. I'm not!

BrianW
03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Just for gits & shiggles I went to the Asda website http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/index.jsp?referrer=cookiesDetecting (looks like a Walmart)
and on their "great deals" they show a 1.45 kg/3.19 lb whole chicken for 4.47 BP/ $7.17 US dollars. $1.68 for a loaf of white bread, & "rollback" $10.79 for a 10 pack of Guinness Stout.
Of course it is delivered to "your flat" :D (beer delivery? cool ! :cool:) but OUCH!

Hew
03-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Dang, you must have Barry McGuire on continuous loop at your house. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo

The Eastern world, well it's explodin'...regards.

BrianW
03-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm kind of partial to REM -
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine...) :shock: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyFiClAzq8

especially the last part regards

road kill
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm kind of partial to REM -
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine...) :shock: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyFiClAzq8

especially the last part regards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijZE7T3S-s

RK

luvmylabs23139
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Food prices here have gone way up although I bet people don't realize how much. A great example is that while the price of a bag of sugar has not changed much at the store the bag has gone from 5 lbs to 4 lbs. I didn't even notice until I had the old 5 lb bag sitting next to the new 4 lb bag on my counter when doing holiday baking a couple of months ago. Then I looked at the bag, same name brand and realized that I paid what I used to pay for 5 lbs I had just paid for 4 lbs.
That made me start comparing other items. Many items that used to contain 4 servings now contained 3 servings. Who buys 3 servings of something? What a useless size.
No wonder what used to be 2 meals, for 2 people was suddenly running short. Poor hubby, I was accusing him of overeating and not paying attention to how much he was eating. He is supposed to be watching his weight.
Produce prices have really gone thru the roof. The simple solution would be to grow your own. However this doesn't work because the deer steal everything and even ignore the dogs.

BrianW
03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher-prices-for-food-are-apf-51443885.html?x=0&.v=7

Higher prices for food are about to get worse

Food prices at the wholesale level rose last month by the most in 36 years. Cold weather accounted for most of it, forcing stores and restaurants to pay more for green peppers, lettuce and other vegetables, but meat and dairy prices surged, too.

Food prices are already the highest since the U.N. began keeping track in 1990....
Still, the U.S. is mostly insulated from more devastating impact of higher food prices around the globe. (:confused:) Last month, the World Bank estimated that higher prices for corn, wheat and oil have pushed 44 million people into extreme poverty since last June.

I seem to remember quite a few folks recently downplaying the issue of inflation and the "apocalyptic nuts" who've tried to talk about it.
Think about it, 36 years ago, what was going on then? Remeber those stupid little "Whip Inflation Now" (WIN) buttons from the Ford Admin? If this food price jump doen't convince you that Ben and his "core inflation" are totally disconnected from reality, what will?
So when do you think Mr. Obama is going to finally have to make an acknowledgement about this issue?

subroc
03-16-2011, 08:53 PM
...""More and more we are seeing that some of these foodstuffs are actually substitutes for energy itself, particularly biofuels. So I think the energy markets are a significant contributor to these food price gains."The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further."...

More extreme left wing policy being responsible for an outcome because of its lack of forethought in considering the law of unintended consequences.

Hey lefties, are you to blame in any way for this problem?

JDogger
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher-prices-for-food-are-apf-51443885.html?x=0&.v=7

Higher prices for food are about to get worse

Food prices at the wholesale level rose last month by the most in 36 years. Cold weather accounted for most of it, forcing stores and restaurants to pay more for green peppers, lettuce and other vegetables, but meat and dairy prices surged, too.

Food prices are already the highest since the U.N. began keeping track in 1990....
Still, the U.S. is mostly insulated from more devastating impact of higher food prices around the globe. (:confused:) Last month, the World Bank estimated that higher prices for corn, wheat and oil have pushed 44 million people into extreme poverty since last June.

I seem to remember quite a few folks recently downplaying the issue of inflation and the "apocalyptic nuts" who've tried to talk about it.
Think about it, 36 years ago, what was going on then? Remeber those stupid little "Whip Inflation Now" (WIN) buttons from the Ford Admin? If this food price jump doen't convince you that Ben and his "core inflation" are totally disconnected from reality, what will?
So when do you think Mr. Obama is going to finally have to make an acknowledgement about this issue?

My food bill is out-weighed each month by my internet bill, my cell phone bill, my TV bill.
Gas and elec., still pretty reasonable.
If you want advise on you food bill, contact ducknwork.... he still feeds his family on $.58 a day. JD

dnf777
03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Fortunately, we have a very skewed perspective on food prices in America. When the price of rice on world markets increases... to us....that means we pay 1.79 for a box of Zatarains dirty rice mix instead of 1.29, and we complain when we look at the receipt. To many people in the world, it means another child in their hut will starve to death this year.

luvmylabs23139
03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
They wanted $2.79 for a head of iceberg lettuce today at the store. Double what I am used to paying for it. Needless to say I did not buy it, and they looked like crap.

BrianW
03-17-2011, 01:16 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1364428/Food-prices-Britain-rising-times-faster-G7-nations.html

Food prices in Britain are rising three times faster than G7 nations

Food prices in Britain are rising at three times the rate of the world’s seven biggest economies.

Figures from the OECD put UK food inflation at 6.3 per cent, well ahead of the average of 2.1 per cent for the G7 group of nations.

There is a suggestion that the ‘big four’ supermarkets – Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons – have used concerns about increasing global commodity prices to push through unfair increases.

Research by analysts at UBS shows commodity inflation would"justify"a 3 to 3.5 per cent rise in processed food prices, but UK supermarkets have lifted prices by 6 to 6.5 per cent.

"Justify "unfair" increases." Hmmm. Sounds like price controls are next.
Anyone care to discuss how well that's worked in GB?

Will that be what PBO's eventual issue acknowledgment will address? Excessive profiteering?

Or that maybe corn is more important to eat than to drive with?

luvmylabs23139
03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
by TONY BURBECK / NewsChannel 36
Bio (http://www.wcnc.com/on-tv/bios/69399892.html) | Email (tburbeck@wcnc.com)| Follow: @TonyBurbeck (http://twitter.com/TonyBurbeck)
WCNC.com
Posted on March 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Grocery bills are creating the same sticker shock as gas prices.
Food prices rose nearly four percent in one month and it is the biggest monthly increase since 1974 – the same year President Richard Nixon resigned over Watergate.
Vegetables are leading the surge, up 49 percent in some instances.
It's not the best timing in the world.
Joan Menzo's daughter decided that she is vegan the same time fruit and vegetable prices are rising.
"It costs more to be healthy, that’s why I’m here getting fruits and vegetables instead of going to the grocery store where it’s going to be a lot more money,” Menzo said.
By ‘here’ she means she is at the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market, where shoppers can usually find low prices.
"We used to sell $1.29, $1.49, now we sell $1.99,” said Khamla Vong with Veggie On The Run Produce.
"Carrots and spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes have gone up," she says.
She says prices have gone up about 20 cents a pound the last two weeks.
She cites three main factors for the higher prices; the cost to produce, weather and gas.
Driving produce from the farm in Kings Mountain to the Farmers Market used to cost $300 a week.
"Right now it's $500 to $600,” Vong said.
It's not just fruits and veggies that have seen a price bump.
"Porterhouses, T-bones have gone up,” said New York Butcher Shop manager Keith Roybal. "Chicken has gone up dramatically too. You’re not talking just cents; you’re talking dollars for chicken.”
Roybal says prices are fluctuating from a quarter to a dollar a pound, depending upon the cut. He says the cost of getting livestock from the farm to your plate is driving the increase. Wednesday he paid a delivery surcharge to a poultry supplier.
"$1.60 to bring the chicken here,” Roybal said.
The bags shoppers walk out with cost more too because plastic is made from petroleum.
Vong said a box of bags is up about $25 dollars over a two year span.
"Shrink wrap, plastic latex gloves have gone up,” Roybal said.
Overall, Menzo says she's spending a good $20 more per week on groceries than she used to spend.
"I'm not ok with it but I don't have a choice,” she said. “I have to eat."
Both Vong and Roybal say they are passing on the price to stay in business, but they also say the minute they can lower a price, they do it.

BrianW
03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
My food bill is out-weighed each month by my internet bill, my cell phone bill, my TV bill.
Gas and elec., still pretty reasonable.

Hope your cell phone, iPad or whatever has a good app to make it look/taste like beef jerky or something.

There's been talk recently about PBO opening the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower oil prices, but noticably, none about a strategic grain reserve.

Because there isn't one. All of our surplus wheat etc has been given away. Some said it was too costly to keep reserves so we paid farmers & ranchers not to produce instead. Now that times of plenty are turning to lean, where will we turn to feed our coming hungry?

JDogger
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Hope your cell phone, iPad or whatever has a good app to make it look/taste like beef jerky or something. My point, Brian, is that the cost of food in the USA, today, is more affordable than our other nessecities. Luvvy bitches about the price of lettuce. Just afew years ago produce was not a globally traded commodity. In the winter we had apples, not oranges and plums and grapes from Chile, Australia and other southern hemisphere locals. We've gotten spoiled. We expect to pay the same for strawberries year round. It don't happen that way.

There's been talk recently about PBO opening the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower oil prices, but noticably, none about a strategic grain reserve. Where do you hear about opening the SPR to lower oil prices? The reason there is no widespead grain reserves is that it doesn't keep. Plus oil is a finite commodity, whereas grain is not. You can grow more. You cannot make more cheap oil just appear. If grain is produced in overabundance the price drops. The producer fails to make a profit

Because there isn't one. All of our surplus wheat etc has been given away. To who, and where Some said it was too costly to keep reserves so we paid farmers & ranchers not to produce instead. Now that times of plenty are turning to lean, where will we turn to feed our coming hungry?Well, you might grow a garden, can and freeze. But no.... you want the government to do it all for you. Are you really sure you're a conservative?
JD

I agree, farm subsidies to not produce are not a very good idea

BrianW
03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Hope your cell phone, iPad or whatever has a good app to make it look/taste like beef jerky or something.
My point, Brian, is that the cost of food in the USA, today, is more affordable than our other nessecities. Luvvy bitches about the price of lettuce. Just afew years ago produce was not a globally traded commodity. In the winter we had apples, not oranges and plums and grapes from Chile, Australia and other southern hemisphere locals. We've gotten spoiled. We expect to pay the same for strawberries year round. It don't happen that way.
You have your choices to make on what to spend your money on, what your "necessities" are, for now. That's great for you and I hope it works. But if things keep going as is we, as household & families, may have to decide for ourselves "Well, is it internet service this month or a gal of milk, box of cornflakes, loaf of bread and a pound of burger.

Yeah, we've gotten spoiled all right. Spoiled into thinking it will always be there and we'll be able to afford it when it it. So that way too many folks, either by choice or necessity have no backup like our grandparents and such did.

There's been talk recently about PBO opening the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower oil prices, but noticeably, none about a strategic grain reserve. Where do you hear about opening the SPR to lower oil prices? The reason there is no widespead grain reserves is that it doesn't keep. Plus oil is a finite commodity, whereas grain is not. You can grow more. You cannot make more cheap oil just appear. If grain is produced in overabundance the price drops. The producer fails to make a profit
You haven't heard any of the news of Dems urging PBO to get into the SPR?!?
That's great that there is that choice. There is none on food.
Yes, you "can" grow more IF conditions are right. IF there are no major floods in the Mid-West. http://www.kansas.com/2011/03/11/1757500/heavy-rain-brings-worries-of-flooding.html
In a probable shorter growing season http://www.longrangeweather.com/Weather-Forecasts.htm#
You cannot make food "just appear" either.

Because there isn't one. All of our surplus wheat etc has been given away. To who, and where
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-05-01-usda-food-supply_N.htm
http://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/health/food/news.php?q=1212803067
Some said it was too costly to keep reserves so we paid farmers & ranchers not to produce instead. Now that times of plenty are turning to lean, where will we turn to feed our coming hungry?Well, you might grow a garden, can and freeze.
Where are all the people that live in NYC, Seattle apartments and postage stamp lots/homes going to grow thers? What does one eat for the 6 months of grow time?

But no.... you want the government to do it all for you. Are you really sure you're a conservative? [/quote]
JD

I agree, farm subsidies to not produce are not a very good idea

No, I don't want to government to do it all for me.
What I am saying though, is that there are far too many that do!
Liberals fall over themselves supporting the govt's "promote the general welfare" clause for anything. And real "gw needs" are not high speed internet for everyone, but food definitely could be argued as one. So now that as supplies dry up and as prices rise, the 40 million some people, in our country alone, that are on food stamps & other assistance are going to demand govt food from "somewhere".
Only there is no "somewhere" left.
The govt can't hand out cheese, powdered milk etc like in the past even if they wanted too.
It's gone.

There are reports that even Abu Dubai and Pakistan have food reserves for their people for about a year or 2. But we don't, not anymore.

When there is nothing to be "bought" in the stores with the food stamp EBT card and no trucks outside handing out milk, the govt is only going to have 2 choices to manage this manufactured crisis and feed "the general welfare".

Increase supply. There is only one real source. The folks who were responsible/resourceful enough to store.
OR
Reduce demand.

Neither one sounds too attractive from here. :(

Roger Perry
03-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Traces of radiation are tainting vegetables and some water supplies, although in amounts the government and health experts say do not pose a risk to human health in the short-term. China, Japan's biggest trading partner, ordered testing of Japanese food imports for radiation contamination.

"Please do not overreact, and act calmly," said Chief Cabinet spokesman Yukio Edano in the government's latest appeal to ease public concerns. "Even if you eat contaminated vegetables several times, it will not harm your health at all."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42188697/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Anyone interested in buying milk and vegetables from Japan-- cheap????