PDA

View Full Version : are you better off now than before obama

pat addis
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
as for me i'm not when he took office gas was 2.40 now 3 69. grocerys are going up. unemployment still high. my son who had a part time job and was working his way through collage was getting almost 40 hrs per week and got cut down to 27 or less the hr people told all the collage kids it was becouse of obamas health care reform bill that if they work more than 27 hrs they have to give them bennies. i long for jimmy carter and he was horrible.

troy schwab
03-25-2011, 08:39 AM
just remember...... ITS ALL BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!

LOL

Buzz
03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Remember, gas was over $4/gallon till the economy crashed. Then it went back down to $2.40 or whatever you remember paying.

Please show me where the healthcare law requires you son's employer to cover him. Is he still in school? Then he can stay on your plan.

road kill
03-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Remember, gas was over $4/gallon till the economy crashed. Then it went back down to $2.40 or whatever you remember paying.

Please show me where the healthcare law requires you son's employer to cover him. Is he still in school? Then he can stay on your plan.

Is that your answer to the question??:rolleyes:

RK

Buzz
03-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Is that your answer to the question??:rolleyes:

RK

Yup I'm doing better. The market crashed, and while everyone was running away, I was pumping cash in. I have about 3 times the retirement savings I had a couple years ago.

road kill
03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I have to admit, I am better off today than I was 4 years ago.

But there are reasons that have no relation to politics or the economy really.

#1--Both Kids got done with school, both got MBA's.
#2--I carry NO DEBT!!!
#3--I invested in Gold and Apple (though that strategy is not congruent, I have realized well over a 30% increase on the investment)

So, no kids to take care of and no debt is like winning the lottery.

RK

pat addis
03-25-2011, 09:40 AM

he is still a student and he told them he was covered under our plan but he was told that the law said if he was over 27 they had to offer it and they decided it wasn't worth the problems

BHB
03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
No I am not better off! My remodeling business has gone way downhill last year and has pretty much died for the past 4-5 months. Fuel prices have gone up to $4.50/gal and are still rising. I've had to raise my rates to pay for the fuel increases but there's no work so that won't be any help. Food prices are going through the roof because of the fuel cost. And, to top it all off my great great grandkids are still going to be stuck for paying of the national debt!

BHB

troy schwab
03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
No I am not better off! My remodeling business has gone way downhill last year and has pretty much died for the past 4-5 months. Fuel prices have gone up to $4.50/gal and are still rising. I've had to raise my rates to pay for the fuel increases but there's no work so that won't be any help. Food prices are going through the roof because of the fuel cost. And, to top it all off my great great grandkids are still going to be stuck for paying of the national debt!

BHB

Im with this guy........^

road kill
03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

BHB

If the question were is the Nation in a better place, unequivicably NO!!

It's never been in a more disgusting place, without question.

But the "dumbing down" of America is the progressive's dream, and they love to wallow in this swamp of mediocrity.
And if they don't get their way, there is no depth or slime they won't crawl in to get it.

RK

caryalsobrook
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM

But the "dumbing down" of America is the progressive's dream, and they love to wallow in this swamp of mediocrity.
And if they don't get their way, there is no depth or slime they won't crawl in to get it.

RK

You are right RK. Put another way, as long as the Gov. rewards those that consume but do not produce and punishes those that consume less that they produce,j those that produce will be worse off. Those that look at wealth as a finite pie to be devided using something they call social justice and not as wealth to be created will always make excuses for those that have less and blame it on those that have more.

Roger Perry
03-25-2011, 10:41 AM

BHB

They will be paying for the National Debt that GW Bush created. Your great great great grandkids will then start to pay off the National Debt that Obama created.;-)

luvmylabs23139
03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Absolutely NO! Gas prices are up as are NC gas taxes. Food prices have gone way up and I definitely spend more time checking the grocery ads and comparing prices in the store. My house has gone down in value but my property taxes have gone up. The same for my rental properties. The houses are worth less but I pay more in property taxes. NC state sales tax has gone up. I smoke (yeah yeah I know) and both the federal and state tax on a pack of smokes has gone way up. Beer and wine tax has gone up. The price of dog food has gone way up and I have 4 dogs. The list goes on and on.

BrianW
03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
To paraphrase some here, "That all depends on how you qualify the question".

Wages? No.
Job likability? No.
Taxes? No.
Cost of living? No.

Love of and appreciation for family & friends? YES!
Thanks to Divine Providence for things that could be worse, aren't YES!
Getting rid of "stuff" and simplifying? YES!
Getting more active in political process/re-learning American History? YES!

;)

Jay Hinton
03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
With the US being $14,000,000,000,000 in the hole, even if you think you are better off, you are not.

Roger Perry
03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Absolutely NO! Gas prices are up as are NC gas taxes. Food prices have gone way up and I definitely spend more time checking the grocery ads and comparing prices in the store. My house has gone down in value but my property taxes have gone up. The same for my rental properties. The houses are worth less but I pay more in property taxes. NC state sales tax has gone up. I smoke (yeah yeah I know) and both the federal and state tax on a pack of smokes has gone way up. Beer and wine tax has gone up. The price of dog food has gone way up and I have 4 dogs. The list goes on and on.

Quit smoking and it will save you alot of money. If you continue to smoke, I hope the government triples the tax on cigarettets and cigars I do not smoke so raising the taxes on tobacco products will not hurt me in the least.. I drink very little and hope the government raises the tax on liquor 10 times what it is now.

M&K's Retrievers
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
They will be paying for the National Debt that GW Bush created. Your great great great grandkids will then start to pay off the National Debt that Obama created.;-)

Only an idiot like you would add a wink to this statement.

M&K's Retrievers
03-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Health insurance agent and consultant, oil and gas investor, real estate investor, son who is a real estate agent - no, we are not better off.

Julie R.
03-25-2011, 11:08 PM

RK

LMAO, Stan you have such a way with words! This is one of your best yet. So sad but so true. Let's keep dumbing down the schools so the lowest common denominator can 'graduate' while throwing more money at the education bureaucracy, and churning out more and more functionally illiterate morons.

And let's keep on increasing the entitlement programs and adding more of them, especially those that encourage more non working slime to cross our borders and breed even more of the same. They may be parasites on society but hey they can vote and we all know who'll get those votes in exchange for promises of even more free shit. After all we can always keep taxing the rich to pay for it all....

luvmylabs23139
03-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Quit smoking and it will save you alot of money. If you continue to smoke, I hope the government triples the tax on cigarettets and cigars I do not smoke so raising the taxes on tobacco products will not hurt me in the least.. I drink very little and hope the government raises the tax on liquor 10 times what it is now.

Tax someone else's sins not mine? Is that your attitude?
That is what is wrong with this country. Not one word about quit spending money. With that attitude I could come up with a long list of taxable actions.
A tax for every pound a person is overweight would be a good start. Notice I do not advocate a tax on soda or chips because if you work out and burn it off you should not pay for the 600lb person that walks across the floor and shakes the building.:rolleyes:

Julie R.
03-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Why Roger, I'm surprised at you. Don't you know taxing booze & smokes disproportionally affects the poor? Such a churlish and cavalier attitude coming from a good little liberal....tsk tsk.

dnf777
03-26-2011, 12:11 PM

RK

Hmmm....

We have a progressive Harvard educated constitutional scholar, and a neo-con Yale-daddy-bought-my-degree-braggin'-about-bein'-a-"C"-student" president..........

Now who's dummin' us down?

Oh yeah, one is reforming educational funding to make higher education affordable for working-class children by cutting Banksters out of the mix......and the other party is slashing funding for education and devaluing teachers......

Who's dummin' us down?

Hoosier
03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Bet Roger will never suggest we put a tax on government entitlement checks.

road kill
03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Hmmm....

We have a progressive Harvard educated constitutional scholar, and a neo-con Yale-daddy-bought-my-degree-braggin'-about-bein'-a-"C"-student" president..........

Oh yeah, one is reforming educational funding to make higher education affordable for working-class children by cutting Banksters out of the mix......and the other party is slashing funding for education and devaluing teachers......

Who's dummin' us down?

People like YOU!

RK

dnf777
03-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Yuk yuk yuk.

Thats a response full of substance. typical.

Buzz
03-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Hmmm....

Who's dummin' us down?

Is it any wonder that the top talking heads on the right, Limbaugh and Beck, never even made it through freshman year at college? Yet they represent themselves as the last word on foreign policy, economic policy, energy policy, etc. Heck, if you ask them, sure they would have chimed right in on Franco's thread when he asked if there were any nuclear accident experts on the forum. (I have a minor in nuclear engineering, so I knew enough to know what I don't know, and pretty much tried to keep my mouth shut.) You see, all our problems are just a matter of common sense, the kind that you hear from just plain folks sitting around the kitchen table. And hey, get a load of how much Limbaugh and Beck are pulling down. How much clearer indication of their unparalleled brilliance do ya need?

One of my favorite quotes:

There is always an easy solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

Wonder if I can hold my breath till the fist "elitist" slam?

luvmylabs23139
03-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Hmmm....

Who's dummin' us down?

Obumma pays absolutely no attention to the constitution. I personally do not consider him any sort of "Scholar".
By the way, he also lacks in the common sense dept. I guess the pair of you have something in common.

road kill
03-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Is it any wonder that the top talking heads on the right, Limbaugh and Beck, never even made it through freshman year at college? Yet they represent themselves as the last word on foreign policy, economic policy, energy policy, etc. Heck, if you ask them, sure they would have chimed right in on Franco's thread when he asked if there were any nuclear accident experts on the forum. (I have a minor in nuclear engineering, so I knew enough to know what I don't know, and pretty much tried to keep my mouth shut.) You see, all our problems are just a matter of common sense, the kind that you hear from just plain folks sitting around the kitchen table. And hey, get a load of how much Limbaugh and Beck are pulling down. How much clearer indication of their unparalleled brilliance do ya need?

One of my favorite quotes:

There is always an easy solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

Wonder if I can hold my breath till the fist "elitist" slam?

I think the irony of your and dnf's statements and displayed mindset is in this;

Most conservatives beleive total wisdom lies within God.

Progressives beleive total wisdom lies within Harvard.

Wonder if I can hold my breath until the first "God" slam??:rolleyes:

RK

dnf777
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
I think the irony of your and dnf's statements and displayed mindset is in this;

RK

I keep my beliefs in God to myself.
You may go to Church as a social hour event, to show how pious you are, and to profess your political beliefs, but please, leave me out of your little commenteries about God. I don't use God as a political tool. You go right ahead.

It was your boy who went to harvard and yale. I went to stupid little ol Texas A&M. Guess I can't compete with you Wisconsin elites.

You set the standard for arrogance and pompousness.

YardleyLabs
03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
All things considered, I would have to say that I was much better off under Clinton, and that things have gone down hill ever since he left the White House. I believe we continue to pay for disastrous economic policies in Washington that reached pinnacles of stupidity during the first G. W. Bush administration from which we may not ever recover. I believe the current administration may have helped prevent the disaster from becoming worse, but that it has done little to make the situation better.

road kill
03-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I keep my beliefs in God to myself.
You may go to Church as a social hour event, to show how pious you are, and to profess your political beliefs, but please, leave me out of your little commenteries about God. I don't use God as a political tool. You go right ahead.

It was your boy who went to harvard and yale. I went to stupid little ol Texas A&M. Guess I can't compete with you Wisconsin elites.

You set the standard for arrogance and pompousness.

"I'll give you that you are consistent.

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the propensity for the over use of personal pro-nouns.

By a poster that doesn't have the kahones to walk to the line................"

RK

Losthwy
03-26-2011, 06:08 PM
RK

Might be. Though I haven't seen any evidence on Potus God has shared any of that total wisdom with conservatives.

dnf777
03-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Post after post crying out for attention, laced with personal insults and concocted anecdotes and the propensity for the over use of personal pro-nouns.

RK

Hey. If you don't want to hear my opinion, don't bring my name into your comments unsolicited. I hadn't said anything here, until YOU just couldn't resist using my name.

And its funny to hear about pronoun usage from the person who started an entire thread dedicated to one's self attempts at upland tests. Too bad Elvis doesn't run your keyboard...I'm sure he's much more modest and humble than his owner. :rolleyes:

road kill
03-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey. If you don't want to hear my opinion, don't bring my name into your comments unsolicited. I hadn't said anything here, until YOU just couldn't resist using my name.

And its funny to hear about pronoun usage from the person who started an entire thread dedicated to one's self attempts at upland tests. Too bad Elvis doesn't run your keyboard...I'm sure he's much more modest and humble than his owner. :rolleyes:

RK

dnf777
03-26-2011, 06:18 PM

RK

I thought you gave up your childish antics. I will play right along however.

Roger Perry
03-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Might be. Though I haven't seen any evidence on Potus God has shared any of that total wisdom with conservatives.

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

BrianW
03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Hmmm....

Who's dummin' us down?

No, actually Obama was a senior lecturer, not just a "scholar".
So what does that show, that an erstwhile "professor" can do just as much, if not more, damage to our founding principles than a "C" student?

Oh yeah, one is also proposing to pour yet more money & Federal control into an constitutionally unjustified department that historically produces results in an inverse ratio to the amount of dollars and regulations applied.
It's also the one that proposes to take over the complete dietary & health regimin "for the children" in addition to monitoring all their interaction & conversation to enforce zero tolerance for "bullying".
In addition it's also the side that sends the message that "If you DO happen to make it through our bureaucratically bungled education experience and happen to make something of yourself besides working at our "new economy reality" of under-employment at McD's or Subway, we want to tax the crap out of you for your "evil rich" success.

The other side is at least having to courage to state that maybe the kids should be able to have a retirement somewhere down the line instead of being slaves all their lives to an out of control "cash addiction" that they had no part in creating and that the Founders said it was immoral to pass our debts down to.

Who's dummin who?

dnf777
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Who's dummin who?

You make good points.

I don't agree 100% with all them, but it raises good questions.

I don't want the gov't telling me what to eat. You and I are smart enough to figure that out. And in a free country, people should be free to stuff all the twinkies, beer, and cigarettes in their pie-holes as they want.

I do feel sorry for kids, who still have a chance to make the right decisions, if only someone would show them the choices they have. Is that the gov't's role...if the parents are out to lunch? I don't think so, but its hard to blame someone for trying.

But we stray off the topic. I hope in all our fiscal awakenings, we don't deny our best and brightest students a chance at higher education for lack of parents who plan or care for their kids.

T. Mac
03-27-2011, 12:43 AM
As background, I semi-retired (quit my 9-5) 6 years ago. After 35 years working various jobs, I had acquired several rental properties (4 parcels with 25 units) and a 401K account that I projected would be sufficient to provide for my needs.

Today the 401k account is nearly back to its value of 6 years ago. While this is nice, the projections were that it should have grown by at least 50% at worst and over 100% if everything went as planned. While I don't plan on drawing any of this account for several more years, it is doubtful that it will ever reach the value that was expected when I retired.

I just received the annual state of the local rental market in today's mail. In 2005 the average price per unit for rental property in this area was over $95k. In 2010 it was at $65k. But in the 4th quarter of 2010 the average sale price was $53.7k. Further, the CAP rate has increased from 5.7% in 2005 to 7.25% today. Likewise, the value of my personal residence has decreased by nearly 40%. And the estimates are that things are not going to get better for some time. Employment in the area was nearly 900,000 in 2005, but is less than 810,000 today, with job losses in all sectors resulting in an unemployment rate of 12.5%. This rate is forecast to rise to 12.8% this year, and to not drop below 10% until 2015 at the earliest. I can see the effects of this unemployment in the number of people doubling up in an apartment, and an increase in renter turnover as people move in and out of the area. This increase in turnover requires an increase in maintenance and expenses. Further there are now several reports out that the housing market my be inflated by some inaccurate sales forecasting as in the following article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42258117/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/
Many of these reports are predicting that there may be a second wave of property devaluation particularly in ag land and in residential housing.

Thankfully I was not overly leveraged and should be able to ride out this downturn with just a little belt tightening. However, it is causing me to postpone the liquidation of my properties until such time as their values improve. Which is causing me to postpone some travel plans and other retirement/dog activities until a future time.

T. Mac

precisionlabradors
03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
a hijack of sorts---it's cojones, not kahones. please make the appropriate correction. thank you.

JDogger
03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
a hijack of sorts---it's cojones, not kahones. please make the appropriate correction. thank you.

I suggested that correction in another thread. I was informed "it was a WI thang". ;-)

road kill
03-27-2011, 12:58 PM

I suggested that correction in another thread. I was informed "it was a WI thang".

Frome the urban dictionary;

1. kohones: That means that you have big balls and you're not scared to do something
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kohones

Thanks for your concern and help though.........:D

RK

JDogger
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Frome the urban dictionary;

1. kohones: That means that you have big balls and you're not scared to do something
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kohones

Thanks for your concern and help though.........:D

RK

Also from urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cojones&page=2

Kohones, not kahones, one usage referenced. Cojones ten usages referenced. Just cause it sounds the same, wavos is not the same as huevos. Que no? JD

road kill
03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Also from urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cojones&page=2

Kohones, not kahones, one usage referenced. Cojones ten usages referenced. Just cause it sounds the same, wavos is not the same as huevos. Que no? JD

I don't speak Espanol.
Jdogger, surely you have a more noble calling than to argue slang semantics?

RK

JDogger
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't speak Espanol.
Jdogger, surely you have a more noble calling than to argue slang semantics?

RK

Yup. Off to go run some water blinds. Accuracy counts there as well. JD

road kill
03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Yup. Off to go run some water blinds. Accuracy counts there as well. JD

Well, I hope you are more accurate at water blinds than you are at your semantics argument!!;-)

Good luck, we got no water yet......still hard.

RK

Lucky Seven
03-27-2011, 03:31 PM
as for me i'm not when he took office gas was 2.40 now 3 69. grocerys are going up. unemployment still high. my son who had a part time job and was working his way through collage was getting almost 40 hrs per week and got cut down to 27 or less the hr people told all the collage kids it was becouse of obamas health care reform bill that if they work more than 27 hrs they have to give them bennies. i long for jimmy carter and he was horrible.

What do you think the women in this video would say if you asked her this question ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

precisionlabradors
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
cojones is a spanish term. kahones, kohones, anything else-hones is an english attempt at simulating COJONES. and RK, it's nothing personal. just a mild correction. don't get all dnf-ensive. hahaha.

road kill
03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
cojones is a spanish term. kahones, kohones, anything else-hones is an english attempt at simulating COJONES. and RK, it's nothing personal. just a mild correction. don't get all dnf-ensive. hahaha.

OK....you made me laugh.
No matter what you call 'em.....some folks ain't got none!!!!:D

But.....our water is still hard here!!!

RK

dnf777
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
OK....you made me laugh.
No matter what you call 'em.....some folks ain't got none!!!!:D

But.....our water is still hard here!!!

RK

Yeah. Roughly 50% of the population don't have them. They're called women.

I hope you're not just learning this for the first time. :D

JDogger
03-27-2011, 11:52 PM
The problem with being a "good sport" ....is sometimes you have to lose to prove it. The problem with big balls is never learning sometimes you just got it wrong.

Stan, the water blinds went well. We're into spring here. No more hard water here in the valley. Gonna head to the high country tomorrow. There maybe some ice still there. If it is still "hard", I'll follow the advice given...."stop doing 'blinds' and call your doctor immediately for a blind lasting more than four hours. :p

Stan, before you twist and spin my first paragraph into something that has nothing to do with you or me, or anyone else, try...try... to not always have the last word. It doesn't always make you the "winner", just ask your favorite poster. JD

Ken Bora
03-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Some balls are held for charity
And some for fancy dress
But when they're held for pleasure
They're the balls that I like best :cool:

road kill
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Jdogger,
Not trying for "the last word."

Only men have "testicles."

Not all men have "cahones," "kohones," a "set," "seeds," "stones," "hair," or "BALLS!!!"
See what I am saying??;-)

BTW--Some of us have more "BALLS" than brains.:oops:

RK

dnf777
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Stan, before you twist and spin my first paragraph into something that has nothing to do with you or me, or anyone else, try...try... to not always have the last word. It doesn't always make you the "winner", just ask your favorite poster. JD

JD,

Give it up, you'll just give yourself a headache!

Stan's famous last words: (and I quote!)

Not trying for "the last word."

LMAO again!! :D

T. Mac
03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
More about the state of affairs in the California Capital city:

This is the fallout of the housing bust: enough vacant dwellings in the Sacramento (http://topics.sacbee.com/Sacramento/) region to harbor every El Dorado County resident or to shelter all the state's homeless on a typical night.
New 2010 census (http://topics.sacbee.com/census/) figures show downtown Sacramento (http://topics.sacbee.com/Sacramento/) hit hard by the trend. Nearly one-fourth of the housing units (http://topics.sacbee.com/housing+units/) in the city's downtown redevelopment zone sat vacant last year.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/28/3507910/housing-bust-leaves-glut-of-vacant.html#ixzz1HvhwOYoC