PDA

View Full Version : Why the Rich should pay more taxes

cotts135
03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
A lot has been said on this forum about taxes for the rich.Taxes have been a way of life in this country since 1861 which then helped pay for the American Civil war. A progressive tax system was proposed and implemented and has worked for years.Since then I dont think anyone of means has fell to the poverty level because of it. They should pay more taxes, they certainly benefit more from what tax dollars are used for then the poor.

Is it fair? Alot of things are not fair. Is it fair that one person is born into poverty and the next into unimaginable riches or someone is born with a birth defect and someone is not? Their are far worse scenarios that could be judged unfair than paying more in taxes because you can afford to.

Lets talk about interstates and airports. The wealthy get a disproportional benefit from these. It is, after all, the products and services everyone like to talk about that the rich provide that use both. They certainly derive more financially than your average middle class joe. And how about those big trucks for transport they use that tear up our roads.
As most of you have noticed the rich have more stuff, in a lot of cases a lot more stuff. That stuff is protected by our defense and since they have so much more then they need to pay more for it to be protected. This also goes for corparations located outside the United States.
Corporate welfare costs this country far more than is generally known. Just today a report in the NY times says that General Electric paid no taxes on a profit of 5.1 billion. C'mon you have to be kidding me. Another thing is that the wealthy have got us into this current economic mess how about taking some responsibility and help us get out of it.
What about the environmental quagmires that have been left by some big corporations. Where do you think the Superfund money came from to clean up these messes ?
Finally, the burden if the tax cuts had expired would have hardly put the wealthiest into the poor house. Anyway the rich and famous get way to much stuff for free.

road kill
03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I beleive GE should pay more taxes.
Anyone know how much they paid last year??

RK

BonMallari
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
A lot has been said on this forum about taxes for the rich.Taxes have been a way of life in this country since 1861 which then helped pay for the American Civil war. A progressive tax system was proposed and implemented and has worked for years.Since then I dont think anyone of means has fell to the poverty level because of it. They should pay more taxes, they certainly benefit more from what tax dollars are used for then the poor.

Is it fair? Alot of things are not fair. Is it fair that one person is born into poverty and the next into unimaginable riches or someone is born with a birth defect and someone is not? Their are far worse scenarios that could be judged unfair than paying more in taxes because you can afford to.

Lets talk about interstates and airports. The wealthy get a disproportional benefit from these. It is, after all, the products and services everyone like to talk about that the rich provide that use both. They certainly derive more financially than your average middle class joe. And how about those big trucks for transport they use that tear up our roads.
As most of you have noticed the rich have more stuff, in a lot of cases a lot more stuff. That stuff is protected by our defense and since they have so much more then they need to pay more for it to be protected. This also goes for corparations located outside the United States.
Corporate welfare costs this country far more than is generally known. Just today a report in the NY times says that General Electric paid no taxes on a profit of 5.1 billion. C'mon you have to be kidding me. Another thing is that the wealthy have got us into this current economic mess how about taking some responsibility and help us get out of it.
What about the environmental messes that have been left by some big corporations Where do you think the Superfund money came from to clean up these messes came from?
Finally, the burden if the tax cuts had expired would have hardly put the wealthiest into the poor house. Anyway the rich and famous get way to much stuff for free anyway.

Seriously: and you think by them giving the less fortunate part of their fortune that it will impact them HOW...

How about the other side of the coin,how about the effect of all those on welfare,food stamps and govt aid who refuse to look for work because they will lose those benefits....why dont they help out the country by refusing to take that govt aide

Whose money do you think you deserve...I wont even take a handout from my brother and he's not exactly rolling in the money, but its not mine, I didnt earn it..doesnt matter that I helped finance many of his extras when he was broke and going to school, no one put a gun to my head, I did it because that's what families do..

I will gladly share my last piece of bread with my neighbor if he is truly hungry and unable to secure any for himself,but that's not an invitation to the checking account, the keys to the car,or take my 1100 on a hunt trip

subroc
03-25-2011, 06:38 PM

What about the environmental quagmires that have been left by some big corporations. Where do you think the Superfund money came from to clean up these messes ?
Finally, the burden if the tax cuts had expired would have hardly put the wealthiest into the poor house. Anyway the rich and famous get way to much stuff for free.

why don't you give everything you have except subsistence to someone else?

cotts135
03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Seriously: and you think by them giving the less fortunate part of their fortune that it will impact them HOW...

How about the other side of the coin,how about the effect of all those on welfare,food stamps and govt aid who refuse to look for work because they will lose those benefits....why dont they help out the country by refusing to take that govt aide

Whose money do you think you deserve...I wont even take a handout from my brother and he's not exactly rolling in the money, but its not mine, I didnt earn it..doesnt matter that I helped finance many of his extras when he was broke and going to school, no one put a gun to my head, I did it because that's what families do..

I will gladly share my last piece of bread with my neighbor if he is truly hungry and unable to secure any for himself,but that's not an invitation to the checking account, the keys to the car,or take my 1100 on a hunt trip

Never mentioned anything about giving there money to the less fortunate. Sometimes what I think is missed in this whole debate is that a Tax cut(Redistribution of wealth)is no different than a benefit given for food stamps, in both cases you have more than when you started. Granted there are people who are lazy and would rather sit and drink a beer than work and then expect to collect unemployement but just as certain as that there are also some well respected people who are defrauding the government of millions. Where the outrage there?
The rich continue to grow there fortunes while the poor and middle class continued to get squeezed and struggle to make ends meet. Feeling that the rich should not pay more taxes because you feel that this only benefits the poor doesn't do it for me.

Marvin S
03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
You could have posted this on any of the available tax threads, why didn't you?

But in answer to your seeking of attention - Airports & all supporting functions should be a candidate for privatization. As for people paying for what they use, the poor make the greatest use of the justice system, should they be responsible for those costs. In case you are wondering, generally the major portion of any municipal budget.

Franco
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Never mentioned anything about giving there money to the less fortunate. Sometimes what I think is missed in this whole debate is that a Tax cut(Redistribution of wealth)is no different than a benefit given for food stamps, in both cases you have more than when you started. Granted there are people who are lazy and would rather sit and drink a beer than work and then expect to collect unemployement but just as certain as that there are also some well respected people who are defrauding the government of millions. Where the outrage there?
The rich continue to grow there fortunes while the poor and middle class continued to get squeezed and struggle to make ends meet. Feeling that the rich should not pay more taxes because you feel that this only benefits the poor doesn't do it for me.

And, there lies the fault in your opinion. They are not the same! One is increasing an already heavy-handed tax and wasteful spending government and the other, charity.

luvmylabs23139
03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Never mentioned anything about giving there money to the less fortunate. Sometimes what I think is missed in this whole debate is that a Tax cut(Redistribution of wealth)is no different than a benefit given for food stamps, in both cases you have more than when you started. .

Totally wrong. The person who gets a tax cut started with more than they end up with. They EARNED a certain amount and then the gov't came in and stole part of what they earned. A tax cut is just a reduction of the amount stolen.
The slime that gets welfare started with zero and gained by receiving that which was stolen from the person that actually earned it.

Doc E
03-26-2011, 10:09 AM
cotts

It's quite apparrent that the tax money that the rich have paid so far certainly didn't do much for your education and use of the English language.

Uncle Bill
03-26-2011, 01:08 PM

I feel your pain. We can only hope your class envy isn't keeping you on the sidelines holding out your hand for what you think is your fair share.

The only way a liberal such as you will be satisfied for a time is to win the lottery. Then you can flaunt it...and P & M about how much they take out for taxes.

The best way to SEE how throwing more money at a perceived problem is illustrated daily by driving through some of the Sodak indian reservations...or driving through some of the US metropolis' slums...or looking at the American education system.

How would you feel about a tax system that cost you 20% of every dime you earned? When the revisions occur, I'm guessing that will be the "flat tax" rate we end up with. You bet, it will nick the wealthy, but just think of how much YOUR taxes will go up.

Or, as Franco suggests, and I'm certainly not saying this isn't the way to go, have a sales tax on everything you buy, large enough to offset the federal income tax. THEN, ByGod, you'll get the wealthy to pay for all that "stuff" they are now getting for free! Bet that will make you grin eh?

UB

sinner
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Opps, sorry I looked at this! If I had I refuse to respond to thing this guy(Uncle BS) says.