PDA

View Full Version : Is Scott Walker taking Wis. Justice Dept back to horse & Buggy Days?

Roger Perry
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
MADISON - Gov. Scott Walker's budget plan denies funding for a high-tech file-sharing network that allows officers to transmit documents electronically and detect criminals' movements across jurisdictions.
The lack of money could cripple the Wisconsin Justice Information System. Contributions to the network have lagged, but the move could force dozens of police departments to revert to a pen-and-paper system and close down inter-agency connections the system's proponents say are crucial for resource-strapped investigators trying to connect the dots in a post-Sept. 11 world.
"To lose that WIJIS gateway because of funding is just ... it would be like, OK, here you got a horse. Today we're going to give you a brand new car. And then next week we're taking away the car and giving you a mule," said Gillett Police Chief Gary Pemrich. "If we lose it, someone could very well get hurt."
The network

The network was envisioned as a Google for cops. It enables officers to transmit citations to prosecutors and judges from squad car laptops, saving the time it would take to drive to the county seat and hand deliver the paperwork at the courthouse.

http://www.gmtoday.com/news/front/topstory01.asp

I don't know what this guy is trying to do to Wisconsin, but it is not good.:mad:

road kill
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
MADISON - Gov. Scott Walker's budget plan denies funding for a high-tech file-sharing network that allows officers to transmit documents electronically and detect criminals' movements across jurisdictions.
The lack of money could cripple the Wisconsin Justice Information System. Contributions to the network have lagged, but the move could force dozens of police departments to revert to a pen-and-paper system and close down inter-agency connections the system's proponents say are crucial for resource-strapped investigators trying to connect the dots in a post-Sept. 11 world.
"To lose that WIJIS gateway because of funding is just ... it would be like, OK, here you got a horse. Today we're going to give you a brand new car. And then next week we're taking away the car and giving you a mule," said Gillett Police Chief Gary Pemrich. "If we lose it, someone could very well get hurt."
The network

The network was envisioned as a Google for cops. It enables officers to transmit citations to prosecutors and judges from squad car laptops, saving the time it would take to drive to the county seat and hand deliver the paperwork at the courthouse.

http://www.gmtoday.com/news/front/topstory01.asp

I don't know what this guy is trying to do to Wisconsin,(OBVIOUSLY!!!) but it is VERY good.:mad:

FIXED!!!:D

RK

BonMallari
03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
are you afraid that if we go back to the horse-buggy days that Amish will be in and those of you that train with e collars will have to learn a whole new way of dog training:rolleyes:

subroc
03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Is Scott Walker acctually trying to save some money?

road kill
03-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Is Scott Walker acctually trying to save some money?

Yes....how dare he???:shock:

Ironically, several school districts that were going to have to close down because of the dastardly cuts, found they are coming out ahead.

Of course you don't see that on CNBC.

Just sayin'......

RK

Roger Perry
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Ironically, several school districts that were going to have to close down because of the dastardly cuts, found they are coming out ahead.

Just sayin'......

RK

Please post some links to links that schools are coming out ahead with the cuts to schools and is hindering law enforcement a good way to save money??????

road kill
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Please post some links to links that schools are coming out ahead with the cuts to schools and is hindering law enforcement a good way to save money??????

NO!

Noone is hindering law enforcement, it is just an over reaction you progressive liberals are famous for.

RK

Roger Perry
03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
NO!

Noone is hindering law enforcement, it is just an over reaction you progressive liberals are famous for.

RK

Here is more taken from the same article, it clearly states law enforcement will be hindered in the information it can receive.

"The system also bridges law enforcement agencies' databases, enabling police across Wisconsin to access millions of internal files from other agencies. Documents include court records, arrest records, incident reports and prosecutors' confidential files.
The links allow police to access layers of information beyond standard criminal background checks, which provide only arrest and charging records. Incident reports and prosecutor files offer police deeper, more detailed information about suspects, including details about contacts with police that didn't result in an arrest or charges.
A northern Wisconsin sheriff's department might respond to a burglary, run the suspect's name through the network and learn he's under investigation in Milwaukee for drugs or threatened someone in Green Bay. That information could help deputies deal with him on the street as well as tie him to similar unsolved crimes."

And you still did not provide any links where schools that thought they might have to close find themselves with more money after the budget cuts. Although the cuts will not be in effect for the remainder of this year we will have to wait for the cuts to take effect starting in September.

Roger Perry
03-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Just sayin'......

RK

Having problems finding links to your statement?????? I made your statement larger and in bold type just in case you are having problems with the question about providing a link to your statement.;-) Have you found one yet and don't care how far right of a publication you have to look in to back it up.

Or, you can start the name calling.

road kill
03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Having problems finding links to your statement?????? I made your statement larger and in bold type just in case you are having problems with the question about providing a link to your statement.;-) Have you found one yet and don't care how far right of a publication you have to look in to back it up.

Or, you can start the name calling.

I don't have to do what you and Lil' Roger say.

It is being broadcast on radio stations here in WI on a daily basis.

Of course you know better, being there (in FL) and me being here (in WI).

RK

dnf777
03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't have to do what you and Lil' Roger say.

It is being broadcast on radio stations here in WI on a daily basis.

Of course you know better, being there (in FL) and me being here (in WI).

RK

Stan,
Leave me out of your comments.
I am done with you in all forms.
And quit sending PMs as well.

Eric Johnson
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
The article you cite is likely written from a press release rather than any real information gathering attempt. The state is in a severe financial mess. Why should not this new program get set aside as a money saving step? Should it be saved in lieu of state troopers.

When state budgets get cut, every agency has a reason why theirs is just too important to cut and that if cut, dire circumstances will befall on all of us. This article is cut from the same mold.

Repairing a budget issue is a balancing act and those that feel the pinch generate stories like this one.

Eric

subroc
03-28-2011, 04:53 PM
The article you cite is likely written from a press release rather than any real information gathering attempt. The state is in a severe financial mess. Why should not this new program get set aside as a money saving step? Should it be saved in lieu of state troopers.

When state budgets get cut, every agency has a reason why theirs is just too important to cut and that if cut, dire circumstances will befall on all of us. This article is cut from the same mold.

Repairing a budget issue is a balancing act and those that feel the pinch generate stories like this one.

Eric

nice post.

even effective programs and "good things" will feel the sharp edge of a needed cut.

that is why cuts are painful.

Roger Perry
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
nice post.

even effective programs and "good things" will feel the sharp edge of a needed cut.

that is why cuts are painful.

But do you want to take away from law enforcement and put citizens at a greater risk? Why don't we just cut out all funding for the TSA so people won't have to go through all the hassels of security checks just to get on an airplane---- that would save alot of money after all we did not need the TSA before 2001.;-) In fact, why don't we take military spending back to what we spent in 2000----oops we cannot do that either because of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq:rolleyes:

troy schwab
03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
put citizens at greater risk?????? seriously Roger? I don't need the government to take responsibility for MY protection......hell, they can't even spend my money right......I certainly don't expect them to protect me appropriately.......

concealed carry permit regards...........

BrianW
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
But do you want to take away from law enforcement and put citizens at a greater risk?

To paraphrase our illustrious POTUS "we're all going to have to make some sacrifices".
Not giving LE the latest technology is not the same as 'taking away".
It will keep "the citizen's risk" at it's current level, not increase it to a "greater" one.
They will still be able to do business the way they do now.
No one is proposing to go back to Broderick Crawford in "Highway Patrol", Jack Webb in "Dragnet", etc.

subroc
03-29-2011, 03:24 AM
But do you want to take away from law enforcement and put citizens at a greater risk? Why don't we just cut out all funding for the TSA so people won't have to go through all the hassels of security checks just to get on an airplane---- that would save alot of money after all we did not need the TSA before 2001.;-) In fact, why don't we take military spending back to what we spent in 2000----oops we cannot do that either because of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq:rolleyes:

why don't we spend ourselves into bankruptsy? In your view, is anything worth cutting?

Roger Perry
03-30-2011, 05:52 PM
why don't we spend ourselves into bankruptsy? In your view, is anything worth cutting?

Yes, lets take spending back to the 2000 level. Maybe we could get the budget balanced again.;-)