PDA

View Full Version : Speech Last Nite

road kill
03-29-2011, 07:45 AM
What an eloquently delivered peice of wordsman ship.

Does anyone know what he said??
Can anyone explain the Obama Doctrine??

Personally, I know less about what we are doing in Libya than I did before the speech.

But it was a good one!!!:D

Just askin'.........

RK

huntinman
03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
I think you could take any 30 minute sountrack of Obama talking from any period of time and just play it... we would come away with the same understanding of what he said. He may be the most monotone speaker since Al Gore... I think the teleprompter fell asleep.

BrianW
03-29-2011, 09:06 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110329/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_libya_analysis

Obama still faces questions about why Libya and not Yemen, or not Syria. One of his closest national security advisers, Denis McDonough, told reporters Monday that the administration doesn't "get very hung up on this question of precedent."
"We don't make decisions about questions like intervention based on consistency or precedent," McDonough said.

Doesn't that just give ya the "warm fuzzies"?

Buzz
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Can anyone explain the Obama Doctrine??

Just askin'.........

RK

The Obama doctrine sure can't compete with “smoke ‘em out” and “dead or alive.”

road kill
03-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Didn't realize sending troops into harms way was some kind of competition?

Thanks,

stan b

M&K's Retrievers
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I think he used the word "I" even more than someone else we know. :rolleyes:

Buzz
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Didn't realize sending troops into harms way was some kind of competition?

Thanks,

stan b

That's a pretty $hitty comment.

You guys complain because you want to hear personal opinions and don't want to debate quotes and opinions of columnists, then you complain when a guy uses a personal pronoun when relating his opinion and personal experiences. Pretty rich.

dnf777
03-29-2011, 10:27 AM

...................:rolleyes:

road kill
03-29-2011, 10:50 AM
That's a pretty $hitty comment.

I asked for an interpretation of last nights speech.
You stated it couldn't "compete" with someone elses.
(who were you referring to??:rolleyes:)

I watched the speech last night, like you, I didn't understand what he said either.

Didn't mean to insult you.

stan b

Roger Perry
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I asked for an interpretation of last nights speech.
You stated it couldn't "compete" with someone elses.
(who were you referring to??:rolleyes:)

I watched the speech last night, like you, I didn't understand what he said either.

stan b

Here is a condenced explaination of what he said maybe you can understand it now.;-)

"President Barack Obama declared Monday night that the United States intervened in Libya to prevent a slaughter of civilians that would have stained the world's conscience. Yet he ruled out targeting Moammar Gadhafi, warning that trying to oust the Libyan leader militarily would be a mistake as costly as the war in Iraq.
Obama announced that NATO would take command over the entire Libya operation on Wednesday, keeping his pledge to get the U.S. out of the lead fast "
"In blunt terms, Obama said the U.S.-led response had stopped Gadhafi's advances and halted a slaughter that could have shaken the stability of an entire region."

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/action-105239-defends-libya.html

Kapeesh???????????

Even I understood that and I did not get "A's" in english.

Sue Kiefer
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
I too watched his speech.
Why is it that the press and the "people" of our country need to know so many details of the decisions that our goverment makes with regards to our military or National Security?
Do you really think that it would be advantages of our Pres. Obama or General ??? to list the exact details of everything that we(U.S.)is planning to do?
Surprise has always been the best move when it comes to any game or military action.
The popular vote voted in office our current President.
Shouldn't we now trust him with his decision making???
Just saying...............:)
Popping a big bag of popcorn for your responses to go along with the "Golden Thread". Think I might need my own pair of rose-colored glasses for that one though.;-)

Roger Perry
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I too watched his speech.
Why is it that the press and the "people" of our country need to know so many details of the decisions that our goverment makes with regards to our military or National Security?
Do you really think that it would be advantages of our Pres. Obama or General ??? to list the exact details of everything that we(U.S.)is planning to do?
Surprise has always been the best move when it comes to any game or military action.
Popping a big bag of popcorn for your responses to go along with the "Golden Thread". Think I might need my own pair of rose-colored glasses for that one though.;-)

Only when there is a Democratic President the other party can keep secrets and the righties won't question him/her;-)

Buzz
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM

stan b

I tried to listen but I had too many things competing for my attention to focus. Probably better that I don't make a joke about matters of life and death.

M&K's Retrievers
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
You guys complain because you want to hear personal opinions and don't want to debate quotes and opinions of columnists, then you complain when a guy uses a personal pronoun when relating his opinion and personal experiences. Pretty rich.

Buzz, it was meant as humor but now that you mention it, I don't want to ever hear what Obama has to say unless it's "I quit".

A quick review of the text of last nights ramblings show that he referred to himself as "I", "we" or "me" almost 70 times in one speach. A pace that rivals anyone here.

Sue Kiefer
03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry I guess I fail to see what difference it makes "IF" the Pres. uses I or we how many times.
I was watching because I was looking to see what "Our Country's" next step is in this dogfight.
My nephew is an Army reservist and I don't want him back overseas again for the 3rd time.
First 2x as a Marine.
Guess "I'm" being a wee bit selfish.

Eric Johnson
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
For one interpretation, may I suggest that you read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/a-fundamentally-dishonest-speech/2011/03/28/AFC0NfrB_blog.html?wpisrc=nl_opinions

http://tinyurl.com/46f8o5u

Eric

luvmylabs23139
03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
.;-)

Considering the make-up of rthe popular vote that elected him the answer is no.
Should I post the example of the person who voted for Obama so they would no longer have to pay for gas in their car etc???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

M&K's Retrievers
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry I guess I fail to see what difference it makes "IF" the Pres. uses I or we how many times.
I was watching because I was looking to see what "Our Country's" next step is in this dogfight.
My nephew is an Army reservist and I don't want him back overseas again for the 3rd time.
First 2x as a Marine.

It's because "HE" didn't do diddly squat. He's a puppet doing the bidding of his handlers. He takes all the credit and accepts no blame. The only thing is there is nothing for him to take credit for.

Nate_C
03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
You guys are right. He should have just declared victory

Goose
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
First 2x as a Marine.

You're not being selfish and nobody can blame you for not wanting your nephew shipped overseas for a 3rd time. The solution to that problem is to bring back the draft because if our mission is so important then everybody should be required to participate in this freaking war including the sons, daughters and grandkids of this nations political leadership...both sides of the aisle.

To lead by example maybe our President should put little Malaria and Sharia in ROTC uniforms and teach them to left, right, left and when they're old enough to shoot a gun ship them overseas to fight a war that's so important.

We live in Cuba now.

Roger Perry
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
It's because "HE" didn't do diddly squat. He's a puppet doing the bidding of his handlers. He takes all the credit and accepts no blame. The only thing is there is nothing for him to take credit for.

Obama has advisors that give him advise and he chooses in which direction he wants to take the Country. Cheney was the puppeteer in the last administration.
http://presidentpuppets.com/products.html

troy schwab
03-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Obama has advisors that give him advise and he chooses in which direction he wants to take the Country. Cheney was the puppeteer in the last administration.
http://presidentpuppets.com/products.html

Yep, like his OUTSTANDING choice for national security advisor, Tom Donlin........ this guy has no business being the national security advisor...... but thats what he is...... and Obama CHOSE him...... just disregard the little Fannie Mae problem......

Blind sheep regards.......

road kill
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Obama has advisors that give him advise and he chooses in which direction he wants to take the Country. Cheney was the puppeteer in the last administration.http://presidentpuppets.com/products.html

I'll play Roger.

Let's assume Cheney is actually the most evil man that ever served, how does that justify the idiocy occuring now??

Standing by.........:D

RK

Roger Perry
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Are you saying Nato members are all idiots? Didn't we intervene in Bosnia because of the ethnic cleansing there? Gadafi is a lunatic and is willing to slaughter his own people. Obama said that NATO will be taking over tomorrow. Lets see where it goes after that.

Cody Covey
03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Are you saying Nato members are all idiots? Didn't we intervene in Bosnia because of the ethnic cleansing there? Gadafi is a lunatic and is willing to slaughter his own people. Obama said that NATO will be taking over tomorrow. Lets see where it goes after that.

There's ethnic cleansing going on all over the world. What makes this any different? And just because NATO is "taking over" doesn't mean we are leaving.

Julie R.
03-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Gadafi is a lunatic and is willing to slaughter his own people. Obama said that NATO will be taking over tomorrow. Lets see where it goes after that.

Obama simply wants to pass the buck to NATO so he can keep his options open in case he needs Kadhafi's support for his 2012 re-election. Remember he was perfectly happy to have that thug's endorsement in 2008.

Gerry Clinchy
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
It sounded like rhetorical smoke & mirrors to me.

BrianW
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Obama said that NATO will be taking over tomorrow. Lets see where it goes after that.

And "who" is NATO? I.e. "Who" contributes 22% of the budget, as much as the next 2, France & Britian, combined?
That's right, we're "handing it off" to OURSELVES!

As by far the pre-eminent player in NATO, and a nation historically reluctant to put its forces under operational foreign command, the United States will not be taking a back seat in the campaign even as its profile diminishes for public consumption.
A Canadian three-star general was selected to be in charge of all NATO operations in Libya. His boss, the commander of NATO’s Allied Joint Force Command Naples, is Sam J. Locklear III, an American admiral, and the admiral’s boss is the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, a post always held by an American. The current SACEUR is Admiral James Stavridis.

Roger Perry
03-29-2011, 03:56 PM
And "who" is NATO? I.e. "Who" contributes 22% of the budget, as much as the next 2, France & Britian, combined?

As by far the pre-eminent player in NATO, and a nation historically reluctant to put its forces under operational foreign command, the United States will not be taking a back seat in the campaign even as its profile diminishes for public consumption.
A Canadian three-star general was selected to be in charge of all NATO operations in Libya. His boss, the commander of NATO’s Allied Joint Force Command Naples, is Sam J. Locklear III, an American admiral, and the admiral’s boss is the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, a post always held by an American. The current SACEUR is Admiral James Stavridis.

So instead of the rebels in Libya taking out Gadafi you would rather see Gadafi still in charge of Libya?????????? I did not know you were pro Gadafi:shock:

Cody Covey
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
So instead of the rebels in Libya taking out Gadafi you would rather see Gadafi still in charge of Libya?????????? I did not know you were pro Gadafi:shock:

Sounds like their problem doesn't it? We are not the world police. We certainly can't afford to try to be either. I am pro American and this does not help us, our assets weren't being threatened by Libya. Now what happens if Gadhaffi stays in power? Is he going to start back up his nuclear program? Is he going to endorse terrorism, not a whole lot different then turning a blind eye, but different still. The ideal situation for US military, to me, is to protect the US and it's assets. It may seem harsh but I don't see the Libyan people as US assets.

Again there is genocide and crimes committed again people all over the world why is this different?

road kill
03-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Please explain how it is our business??

Thanks,

RK

M&K's Retrievers
03-29-2011, 06:27 PM

I don't give a hoot who's in charge of Libya or even if there is a Libya. The US cannot continue to be the worlds savior and benefactor only to be dumped on as a reward. We can't afford it.

Maybe these countrys could hire us to do their fighting for them. They could pay for arms and for the volunteers who want to fight on their behalf. Run it like a business. Take the profits from this enterprise and use them along with private donations to fund humanitarian projects like helping Japan, hurricane/tsunami tragedies, etc. rather than using tax dollars.

We must stop funding the world only to have the world job in our ass!

That's all I have to say about that regards,

Nor_Cal_Angler
03-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Sounds like their problem doesn't it? We are not the world police. We certainly can't afford to try to be either. I am pro American and this does not help us, our assets weren't being threatened by Libya. Now what happens if Gadhaffi stays in power? Is he going to start back up his nuclear program? Is he going to endorse terrorism, not a whole lot different then turning a blind eye, but different still. The ideal situation for US military, to me, is to protect the US and it's assets. It may seem harsh but I don't see the Libyan people as US assets.

Again there is genocide and crimes committed again people all over the world why is this different?

I don't give a hoot who's in charge of Libya or even if there is a Libya. The US cannot continue to be the worlds savior and benefactor only to be dumped on as a reward. We can't afford it.

Maybe these countrys could hire us to do their fighting for them. They could pay for arms and for the volunteers who want to fight on their behalf. Run it like a business. Take the profits from this enterprise and use them along with private donations to fund humanitarian projects like helping Japan, hurricane/tsunami tragedies, etc. rather than using tax dollars.

We must stop funding the world only to have the world job in our ass!

That's all I have to say about that regards,

All this talk about funding......

Brian your right on the mark...but lets look at it like this (only because 22% doesnt quite cover it, specific to libya)

Currently... the USA is contrubuting 55 Million dollars a day to the cause that is only the dollar amount in Ordinance we have droped or shot at the libyan forces that does not count the man hours and salaries of personel involved.

Currently... the biggest aid to the USA led cause is England and they give 4.8 Million dollars a day...DOOOHHH!!!!

if you then combine the other 9 countries Spain, Denmark, Canada, Greece, Turkey, Italy, France, Beligum, Norway (levaving out Qutar because it is laughable) and give them the benifit of the doubt and say they are contributing as much as England (which THEY ARE NOT...especially spain and Greece, probally Norway as well) that TOTALS 43.2 MILLION a day.

Let's look at this again.....USA = 55 Million a day.

ALL other countries combined = 48 Million a day.

SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you all HIT IT ON THE HEAD!!!!!!!!

WE NEED TO STOP BEING THE WORLDS POLICE!!!! WE CAN NOT AFFORD IT!!!

NCA

BrianW
03-29-2011, 08:50 PM
I am "pro-Quaddafi" only to the extent that I am more anti- Al Quaeda and concerned about the, mostly, ignored reports of their involvement in this rebellion. :rolleyes:

How in the hell can we tell our troops to go fight & kill these guys when they're the "bad guys" in Iraq and then turn around tell them to protect the slime when they go back home to Libya?
Please explain how that's NOT schizophrenic?

If you want to go along with PBO's pretensions that, somehow, by putting on a "NATO" beret, it somehow changes the fact that it's our guys flying the AC-130's & A-10's over hostile territory, that's fine by me.
But the people on the ground are still going hate us just the same as soon as we're done being their "useful tools".

Franco
03-29-2011, 08:57 PM
I couldn't say it any better...tell 'em Ron!

http://lincolntribune.com/?p=8615

Roger Perry
03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
I am "pro-Quaddafi" only to the extent that I am more anti- Al Quaeda and concerned about the, mostly, ignored reports of their involvement in this rebellion. :rolleyes:

How in the hell can we tell our troops to go fight & kill these guys when they're the "bad guys" in Iraq and then turn around tell them to protect the slime when they go back home to Libya?
Please explain how that's NOT schizophrenic?

If you want to go along with PBO's pretensions that, somehow, by putting on a "NATO" beret, it somehow changes the fact that it's our guys flying the AC-130's & A-10's over hostile territory, that's fine by me.
But the people on the ground are still going hate us just the same as soon as we're done being their "useful tools".
Do you mean like the people in Iraq and Afghanistan?????

Pete
03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Alot of what I am hearing ( from those obscure journalistic types who are usually proven right over time) is that many hezbala,hammas ,alquita and the moslum brotherhood are fighting along side the rebels.
Wouldn't that be the nail in Obama's coffin or would it. I'm sure he could he'd walk away smelling like a rose either way.

Pete

Cody Covey
03-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Do you mean like the people in Iraq and Afghanistan?????

Exactly like that...so are you consenting finally that this is a bad idea since you are so against those two wars?

mnduckhunter
03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Who's next? North Korea? China?

Roger Perry
03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
All you righties are more anti-Obama than pro or anti anything else. You complained when Obama did not do anything in Libya then when he took action you complained that he did someting. You either complained that he took too long to make a decision or you are now complaining he is helping the rebels to get out of Gadafi's control.

It is getting close to the 2012 elections and not one solid Republican candidate has emerged to run against him. Looks like you could be complaining for another 5 and a half years.;-)

Steve Hester
03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Here is a condenced explaination of what he said maybe you can understand it now.;-)

"President Barack Obama declared Monday night that the United States intervened in Libya to prevent a slaughter of civilians that would have stained the world's conscience. He meant America's conscience>

Yet he ruled out targeting Moammar Gadhafi, warning that trying to oust the Libyan leader militarily would be a mistake as costly as the war in Iraq.
Obama announced that NATO would take command over the entire Libya operation on Wednesday, keeping his pledge to get the U.S. out of the lead fast " Then there was an announcement this morning that there was going to be a "delay" in NATO taking over this operation.

"In blunt terms, Obama said the U.S.-led response had stopped Gadhafi's advances and halted a slaughter that could have shaken the stability of an entire region."

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/action-105239-defends-libya.html

Kapeesh???????????

In blunt terms, he's the most full of $hit human being I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

Cody Covey
03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
All you righties are more anti-Obama than pro or anti anything else. You complained when Obama did not do anything in Libya then when he took action you complained that he did someting. You either complained that he took too long to make a decision or you are now complaining he is helping the rebels to get out of Gadafi's control.

It is getting close to the 2012 elections and not one solid Republican candidate has emerged to run against him. Looks like you could be complaining for another 5 and a half years.;-)Why don't you address the issues that have been brought up in this thread instead of constantly insulting republicans over and over. You will find that I said we should do nothing at all before we ever did anything. So saying we all complained about him doing nothing is completely incorrect. Par for the course when you have nothing to bring to the conversation I suppose.

Gerry Clinchy
03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
It is getting close to the 2012 elections and not one solid Republican candidate has emerged to run against him. Looks like you could be complaining for another 5 and a half years.

Comparatively, prior to the 2008 elections, around March 2007, would anyone have expected that Obama would be the Dem candidate in 2008? Wasn't he just elected to the Senate in Nov. 2006?

road kill
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Comparatively, prior to the 2008 elections, around March 2007, would anyone have expected that Obama would be the Dem candidate in 2008? Wasn't he just elected to the Senate in Nov. 2006?

By those standards, the next US President may be organizing neighborhoods yet.........:D

RK

Cody Covey
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM

But he also started to campaign in 2006...interesting huh?

road kill
03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
But he also started to campaign in 2006...interesting huh?

He does what George tells him to do.......:D

RK

Uncle Bill
03-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Coming from you, Roger...

"Even I understood that and I did not get "A's" in english".

Ya coulda knocked me over with a feather.

And if you must flaunt the fact that you wouldn't know an Italian word if it slapped you in the face..."Kapeesh" is pure idiocy on display! The most ignorant form of the Italian word "Capiche".

One other minor glitch...English is capitalized...ALWAYS!

You must truely be a product of 'unionized' public education, which obviously ended in the 4th grade. NEVER go on that TV show hosted by Foxworthy. You wouldn't make enough to buy a ham sandwich.

UB

Roger Perry
03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Coming from you, Roger...

"Even I understood that and I did not get "A's" in english".

Ya coulda knocked me over with a feather.

And if you must flaunt the fact that you wouldn't know an Italian word if it slapped you in the face..."Kapeesh" is pure idiocy on display! The most ignorant form of the Italian word "Capiche".

One other minor glitch...English is capitalized...ALWAYS!

You must truely be a product of 'unionized' public education, which obviously ended in the 4th grade. NEVER go on that TV show hosted by Foxworthy. You wouldn't make enough to buy a ham sandwich.

UB

Actually I do quite well with the questions.;-)

badbullgator
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM

Seems that is not exactly the case now is it??

Mission accomplished regards

road kill
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
His 2002 speech was slightly different.

Did he "FLIP=FLOP???"

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-2002-toppling-brutal-dictator-dumb

RK

BrianW
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Did he FLIP FLOP?
"Obama proved himself by having the courage to change his mind"

"I didn't realize courage could be so politically expedient."