PDA

View Full Version : WA electric car fee

luvmylabs23139
03-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Wash. Senate OKs electric car fee, math test bill

Wash. Senate approves $100 fee for electric cars, high school math assessment bill

Molly Rosbach, Associated Press, On Wednesday March 30, 2011, 8:41 am EDT
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- The state Senate approved several bills Tuesday, including a measure to impose a $100 annual fee on electric cars to make up for lost gas tax revenue, and a bill that eases the transition to a new statewide high school math assessment.
With less than a month left in the scheduled 105-day session, lawmakers have begun a new wave of floor votes. The session is scheduled to adjourn April 24.
Under the electric car bill, drivers would pay the fee every year when they renew their vehicle registration.
Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen, D-Camano Island, included the fee on her transportation budget. She says the Senate transportation budget proposal was dependent on passage of the fee, which is expected to bring in about $400,000 in fiscal year 2013.
Opponents argue that imposing a fee on electric cars discourages environmentally conscious drivers, but Haugen said electric car owners ought to help pay to maintain the public highways they use.
"We recognize they're an important part of the future, but it needs to help pay its fair share," Haugen said of electric cars.
The Washington State Department of Transportation estimates that drivers with gasoline-powered vehicles pay about $200 a year in gas tax. The state gas tax is 37.5 cents per gallon.
The bill now moves to the House for approval.

HA HA HA!! They should help pay for the roads. Too bad the feds aren't doing the same thing!

starjack
03-31-2011, 02:20 PM
What a croc. it will never end with these people. You know when one state does something to get more money from the taxpayers the other are sure to follow.

Gerry Clinchy
03-31-2011, 02:27 PM
The real irony is that the Fed govt is trying to get more people to use electric cars ... at the same time that States are legislating to make electric cars more expensive to own. And also legislating to make electricity more expensive.

One hand giveth ... and the other taketh away.

Cody Covey
03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
100 bucks a year is cheaper than what I spend on gas tax a year here in Washington state. Our gas tax is 37.5 cents a gallon...it would only take 270 fill ups in my small car to get to 100 bucks and I would estimate, without taking into account duck season when I am driving more, that I fill up upwards of 300 times

Marvin S
03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
The real irony is that the Fed govt is trying to get more people to use electric cars ... at the same time that States are legislating to make electric cars more expensive to own. And also legislating to make electricity more expensive.

One hand giveth ... and the other taketh away.

Love it!!!!! Now if we could just get the bicycle people to pony up their share :cool:.

It's a season of humor out here in WA. The voters restricted most taxes but then voted the same cast of characters back to office :confused:. Public employees are scrambling for any revenue source they can drum up to pay for their fat salaries & perks. It's basically, I'm here from your local regulator, give me more :).

Eric Johnson
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
What a croc. it will never end with these people. You know when one state does something to get more money from the taxpayers the other are sure to follow.

OTOH, maybe those with electric cars would like it if they were banned from the use of the roads paid for by gas tax? They could zoom up and down their driveways.

Eric

WRL
03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
100 bucks a year is cheaper than what I spend on gas tax a year here in Washington state. Our gas tax is 37.5 cents a gallon...it would only take 270 fill ups in my small car to get to 100 bucks and I would estimate, without taking into account duck season when I am driving more, that I fill up upwards of 300 times

Fill-ups? Don't you mean gallons?

270 fill-ups is 23 fill-ups per months. That's just less than 6 fill-ups per week. Basically, almost every day.

WRL

Gerry Clinchy
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Fill-ups? Don't you mean gallons?

270 fill-ups is 23 fill-ups per months. That's just less than 6 fill-ups per week. Basically, almost every day.

WRL

$100/.375 = 266.+ ... Guess he meant about 270 gallons. 13-1/2 fill-ups for a 20-gallon tank.

But I think the electric car might come up short for a hunting trip :-)

WRL
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
$100/.375 = 266.+ ... Guess he meant about 270 gallons. 13-1/2 fill-ups for a 20-gallon tank.

But I think the electric car might come up short for a hunting trip :-)

Well that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

WRL

BonMallari
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
does the electric car fee also include those that live in golf communities and only drive a golf cart ?

WRL
03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
does the electric car fee also include those that live in golf communities and only drive a golf cart ?

Probably not. Its going to get charged at registration time I am sure.

WRL