PDA

View Full Version : Lancashire Heeler as a family member?

Marvin S
04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Any one here have any experience with the breed? If so, your thoughts, pro or con :).

Ken Bora
04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
had to google them
http://www.breedersonline.net/dogs/photos/Lancashire-Heeler.jpg

are ya gettin one?

Marvin S
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
had to google them
http://www.breedersonline.net/dogs/photos/Lancashire-Heeler.jpg

are ya gettin one?

We are thinking - had a blue heeler, loved her, but want a smaller dog with similar characteristics so it's easier to travel with.

Pricy though, I keep asking them why I should pay more for an earthdog pup than I paid for a pup with 3 NC's in the 1st 6 dogs or one out of a proven NC & FC-AFC. They tell me the pups are rare, I counter with Sharpei's were also until folks found what a pain caring for the wrinkles were :).

I can't believe no one on RTF has not had one.

road kill
04-05-2011, 12:32 PM
We are thinking - had a blue heeler, loved her, but want a smaller dog with similar characteristics so it's easier to travel with.

Pricy though, I keep asking them why I should pay more for an earthdog pup than I paid for a pup with 3 NC's in the 1st 6 dogs or one out of a proven NC & FC-AFC. They tell me the pups are rare, I counter with Sharpei's were also until folks found what a pain caring for the wrinkles were :).

I can't believe no one on RTF has not had one.

Is that a working dog?

A herding breed?

stan b

Julie R.
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I also had to google them--look like neat little dogs. I noted they have a lot of Welsh corgi in them. I think if I was to get a herding breed a corgi would be my choice. They are quite common among the horsefolk where I live, and as herding breeds go seem to be more mellow than most and not as nippy. They seem to be intelligent little dogs that are quite personable.

But I'd guess that finding a pup from HC titled parents, given how rare the breed is, might be like looking for a Curly coat or NSDTR from FC/AFC parents: not likely in our lifetimes. From what I've observed of herding competitions (admittedly not much, but I have attended/written up a few for local publications) these seem to be geared toward Border Collies the way FTs are geared to Labs; you don't see many other breeds even entered, much less competing!

Marvin S
04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Is that a working dog?

A herding breed?

stan b

From what I read the heeler comes from their herding, sort of a mini Australian Cattle Dog. What I enjoy is the way they stalk & kill rats, moles & mice. Had to keep our other heeler away from the garter snakes as she dispatched them quickly & they eat lots of mosquitoes.

I might even do Earthdog with her if I get one. Have to go to one of the events to see what it's like.