PDA

View Full Version : Reid on shutdown: "It looks like it's headed in that direction"

Roger Perry
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Carrie Dann writes:After an all-night negotiating session, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday that he is “not nearly as optimistic” as he was last night about avoiding a government shutdown before a Friday deadline, saying of a federal funding gap: “it looks like it’s headed in that direction.”
The Democratic leader said that the two sides have essentially agreed on the amount of money set to be cut from the long-term budget but that Republicans have drawn a line in the sand over “ideology” – including policy issues dealing with funding for Planned Parenthood and the Environmental Protection Agency.
“Our differences are no longer over the savings we get on government spending, Reid said. “The only thing holding up an agreement is ideology.”
Reid’s comments came as the White House announced another meeting with congressional leaders scheduled for 1 pm ET. The government will shut down if an agreement is not reached by midnight on Friday.
House Republicans are lobbying for some “policy riders” – attachments to the budget bill – including ones that would defund the president’s health care plan, cut all federal funding to Planned Parenthood, and target EPA greenhouse gas rules.
Those riders, particularly those relating to abortion, have no place in a budget bill, an exasperated Reid argued.
“It’s not realistic to shut down the government on a debate dealing with abortion,” the Nevada lawmaker said. “It’s not realistic and it’s not fair to the American people.”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/07/6424941-reid-on-shutdown-it-looks-like-its-headed-in-that-direction

So it's not all about cutting the deficit. Appears the tea party wants to go after roe v wade and abortion rights.

dnf777
04-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I never considered Reid a good leader. The congressional leaders need to sit down, and decide on 10 items they agree upon, then agree to fund the gov't to avoid a shutdown. Haggle the rest in a call to arms session, but don't hurt the millions of people by failing to reach some compromise.

Obama needs to count his political capital at this point, and swing his hammer to get this resolved as well. While its not his job per se, he IS the POTUS, and needs to wear the daddy pants now.

Apparently, the republican cmmte members and dems had an agreement, but tea party has Boehner by the short hairs, and he capitulated. Obama needs to revive whatever compromise was reached, and lay it on the line for Boehner, as well that should come from the more moderate, mainstream republicans.

This may be a defining moment for Obama's presidency. Poor guy, everytime he turns around, there's another "defining moment" or "pivotal speech". Healthcare, stimulus, A-stan surge, Egypt, Libya, shutdown.......

POTUS? You can have that job!

road kill
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I just heard on the radio that Obama has called Boehner and Reid to the White House.

(is that like getting called to the Principal's office??)

RK

huntinman
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
What a butt head...

two guys with 40 years experience geting "summoned' by a community organizer. If Obama had done his job a year ago they would not be in this mess. Playing politcs then, playing politics now. His problem is, the public is not falling for his schtick anymore. 2012 can't come fast enough...

luvmylabs23139
04-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Harry Reid really put his foot in his mouth with the public when he went on about the "cowboy poetry festival".
How can anyone take what he say seriously after that.
The dems made a big mistake by electing him Senate majority leader again.

Uncle Bill
04-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Harry Reid really put his foot in his mouth with the public when he went on about the "cowboy poetry festival".
How can anyone take what he say seriously after that.
The dems made a big mistake by electing him Senate majority leader again.

Your disdain for the Democrats is certainly appropriate, but look at it this way. I have a good friend in that august body that told me, with this POTUS, no body wants that job. They are more than happy to have dingy Harry continuing to bluber idiotic statements that only he is capable of.

As long as the unions and George Soros run the Democrats, how could they get a better yes-man than dingy Harry? Now that they've lost their other blithering idiot spokeswoman, they need to keep this dufus at the podium.

UB

Goose
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
We've got Lucifer himself in the White House, Abaddon in the Senate and a crybaby in the House.

We're so freaking screwed with this crew.

We live in Cuba now.

road kill
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
House passes bill, Obama threatens to VETO the bill, shut down Govt.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-spending-resolution-20110408,0,2265172.story

RK

luvmylabs23139
04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Harry Reid refuses to even bring it up for a vote in the senate.
Rumor has it that it would pass the senate.

road kill
04-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Harry Reid refuses to even bring it up for a vote in the senate.
Rumor has it that it would pass the senate.

Soros told Pelosi, Pelosi told Obama, Obama told Reid.:D

RK

gmhr1
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Well it looks like Hubby will be home for awhile, he works for Dept of Interior. If I hear one more person say Shut it down I'm going to scream! Easy to say when your paycheck keeps going in the bank. If the Pres and Congress were affected by this we would already have a budget why do we, the American people get punished while they the ones who put us in this mess keep getting paid?

Goose
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Has the President left for his weekend vacation yet? Really not much going on except that all the soldiers and Marines under his command are going to stop receiving paychecks tomorrow. Why not go on vacation. Military paychecks are just a distraction according the War President.

We live in Cuba now.

huntinman
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Has the President left for his weekend vacation yet? Really not much going on except that all the soldiers and Marines under his command are going to stop receiving paychecks tomorrow. Why not go on vacation. Military paychecks are just a distraction according the War President.

We live in Cuba now.

Well, since he doesn't give a rip if the military gets paid... maybe he should fly Marine One over to VA himself. Pretty sure he couldn't figure out how to start the engine...

gmhr1
04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know if we will still recieve a military disability check? I stood in line at our commisary watching a young marine wife paying with food stamps wonder what she will do now trying to feed her family while her husband is overseas fighting, putting his life on the line everyday, This really stinks. If you stop paying the Pres and Congress this budget issue will be solved in 10 minutes they dont care about us they still recieve their checks. Heck they should be able to get some good deals while half of America has no money maybe the stores will have some good deals for the rest.

huntinman
04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know if we will still recieve a military disability check? I stood in line at our commisary watching a young marine wife paying with food stamps wonder what she will do now trying to feed her family while her husband is overseas fighting, putting his life on the line everyday, This really stinks. If you stop paying the Pres and Congress this budget issue will be solved in 10 minutes they dont care about us they still recieve their checks. Heck they should be able to get some good deals while half of America has no money maybe the stores will have some good deals for the rest.

If pay stops for the military, it should stop for the damn politicians!!! Slimeballs.

Vicky Trainor
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Well it looks like Hubby will be home for awhile, he works for Dept of Interior. If I hear one more person say Shut it down I'm going to scream! Easy to say when your paycheck keeps going in the bank. If the Pres and Congress were affected by this we would already have a budget why do we, the American people get punished while they the ones who put us in this mess keep getting paid?

We're in the same boat with hubby working @ DHS :( Waiting to hear how a shutdown will affect his office.

It will be interesting to see if ANY of the politicians will forego their paycheck while our Military and other Federally funded jobs/programs do without. :(

road kill
04-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Can anyone remember any other President that started a war and cut off paying the military, all within a month??

Just askin'.....

RK

dnf777
04-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Can anyone remember any other President that started a war and cut off paying the military, all within a month??

Just askin'.....

RK

Or one that started TWO wars, and cut taxes, thus EXPLODING the deficit?

Gerry Clinchy
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Actually, the Federal workers will be eligible for unemployment in the states where they live. Depending on their state they might have to wait a week before being eligible. I sure hope that they won't collect unemployment AND ALSO be able to get back pay. (Just talking civilian workers here.) Certainly would make the unemployment figures look pretty ugly for April if about 300,000 workers are added.Another reason the Dems might not like the idea of cutting Fed worker jobs in the new budget ... that wouldl end up adding to the unemployment figures. That might make it appear that the economy were not truly recovering.

road kill
04-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Just askin'.....

RK

NO.....NO President has ever been this detached.
Besides, it's vacation time.

"Let them eat cake!"

RK

gmhr1
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I think we should all demand they give up their paychecks the Pres says we all have to sacrifice its easy to talk the talk, now its time to walk the walk.
I really dont consider any of them an "essential employee"

road kill
04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I think we should all demand they give up their paychecks the Pres says we all have to sacrifice its easy to talk the talk, now its time to walk the walk.

I think we should demand that the President take this seriously and do his job!!

RK

dnf777
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Do you really think giving up $174,000 will affect people who own $8 million boats, and 12 houses??

Sounds good, but won't make a lick of difference in their stupidity and greed.

road kill
04-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Do you really think giving up $174,000 will affect people who own $8 million boats, and 12 houses??

Sounds good, but won't make a lick of difference in their stupidity and greed.

I agree Dave, I don't think that would affect Nancy Pelosi, the Clintons, Soros, Michael Moore or Al Gore one bit!!!:D

RK

Roger Perry
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
If the Republicans would take out their demand for planned parenthood there would be an agreement.

Democrats have painted the conflict as one solely over the abortion issue, arguing that Republicans refuse to drop their push to scrap funding for Planned Parenthood even at risk of a shutdown.
Boehner disputed that Friday morning.
“There is only one reason that we do not have an agreement as yet and that issue is spending,” Boehner told the press in brief remarks.
Reid told reporters earlier Friday that the dispute over depth of the spending reductions has been resolved and that he and Boehner have agreed on $38 billion in cuts.
The impasse solely hinges on government funding for health centers that include Planned Parenthood, an abortion provider, Reid said.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/08/6432203-a-shutdown-over-spending-or-abortion-two-sides-disagree?gt1=43001

gmhr1
04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm sure losing his paycheck wouldn't bother his lifestyle one bit I just dont think you should ask the American people to do something you wouldn't do. Its easy to sit and say Just shut it down when it doesn't affect them at all. Maybe they would work harder at finding a soluition if it was their check not going in the bank.

road kill
04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
If the Republicans would take out their demand for planned parenthood there would be an agreement.

Democrats have painted the conflict as one solely over the abortion issue, arguing that Republicans refuse to drop their push to scrap funding for Planned Parenthood even at risk of a shutdown.
Boehner disputed that Friday morning.
“There is only one reason that we do not have an agreement as yet and that issue is spending,” Boehner told the press in brief remarks.
Reid told reporters earlier Friday that the dispute over depth of the spending reductions has been resolved and that he and Boehner have agreed on $38 billion in cuts.
The impasse solely hinges on government funding for health centers that include Planned Parenthood, an abortion provider, Reid said.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/08/6432203-a-shutdown-over-spending-or-abortion-two-sides-disagree?gt1=43001

If the Democrats would drop their demand to fund abortions there would be an agreement.

RK

Goose
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Just askin'.....

RK

The young, hard-charging Marine enlisted man fighting for his country somewhere overseas probably has a wife with kids living on a base somewhere stateside who now won't be able to buy food for her family thanks to the Vacation President. Hell, with the surge in oil prices today (again thanks to President F U and the Chairsatan of the Federal Reserve) she probably couldn't afford to drive to the grocery store anyway.

We live in Cuba now.

road kill
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
The young, hard-charging Marine enlisted man fighting for his country somewhere overseas probably has a wife with kids living on a base somewhere stateside who now won't be able to buy food for her family thanks to the Vacation President. Hell, with the surge in oil prices today (again thanks to President F U and the Chairsatan of the Federal Reserve) she probably couldn't afford to drive to the grocery store anyway.

We live in Cuba now.

You don't understand, this vacation was already planned.

C'mon man!!!:rolleyes:

RK

Goose
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Just knowing that the wife of a military man fighting overseas has to use food stamps to buy groceries for her family makes me cry. And our President dines on kobe beef every week.

Bring them all home.

dnf777
04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
If the Democrats would drop their demand to fund abortions there would be an agreement.

RK

That was not their demand. It was never even mentioned in the bill, until the tea bag party insisted it be added. This shutdown is 100% the product of the tea party. Boehner was agreeable to a compromise, until he got "bagged".

Its a shame what the tea party is going to do to America. But they won't have it any other way.

What do you expect with a billionaire funded and run organization? The tea party is about as grass-roots as the DNC or RNC. Nice idea, hijaked by big money. And yet so many are being led by their nose rings.

It'll straighten itself out, once America sees it for what it really is. Already happening actually.

gmhr1
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
John Boehner says he will return his paycheck if Gov shuts down he urges members of Congress to do the same .

huntinman
04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
That was not their demand. It was never even mentioned in the bill, until the tea bag party insisted it be added. This shutdown is 100% the product of the tea party. Boehner was agreeable to a compromise, until he got "bagged".

Its a shame what the tea party is going to do to America. But they won't have it any other way.

What do you expect with a billionaire funded and run organization? The tea party is about as grass-roots as the DNC or RNC. Nice idea, hijaked by big money. And yet so many are being led by their nose rings.

It'll straighten itself out, once America sees it for what it really is. Already happening actually.

All 6'2" 235lbs of you (according to you:rolleyes:) is full of crap.

You don't know anything about the tea party or it's members other than what you have lapped up from the obama media. It's blind hatred like yours that got the libs asses handed to them last election and will again next election. I can't wait. Remember Wisconsin!!

Roger Perry
04-08-2011, 03:56 PM

You don't know anything about the tea party or it's members other than what you have lapped up from the obama media. It's blind hatred like yours that got the libs asses handed to them last election and will again next election. I can't wait. Remember Wisconsin!!

Just what ties do you have to Wisconsin???????????:rolleyes:

huntinman
04-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Just what ties do you have to Wisconsin???????????:rolleyes:

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express there once;-)

And I like cheese...

Franco
04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
If there is a shut down, the GOP will be the losers.

Having sampled a number of big radio stations in big markets today via webtreams on the internet and watching four different networks today, the story is basically the GOP really doesn't want to cut spending, they want to push their social agenda.

That is exactly what the GOP is doing, pushing thier social agenda because they could have pushed for cuts in other areas. They either misread the Dems or really thought they would cave on the Planned Parenthood funding.

The GOP had a chance to demonstrate to the American people that the Dems have no interest in reducing the deficit but instead, they couldn't resist the abortion issue.

Bring on Ron Paul and the Libetarians because the GOP is self destructing again!
Paul/Trump in 2012;-)

dnf777
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Roger Perry;783340]

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express there once;-)

It didn't work!

Roger Perry
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
[quote=huntinman;783348]

It didn't work!

As RK would say

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Made a :monkey: out of you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA