PDA

View Full Version : Harry Reid say the pledge/ a few missing words

luvmylabs23139
04-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Gee Harry,
I think you forgot a few words.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/04/12/harry_reid_omits_under_god_while_reciting_pledge.h tml

M&K's Retrievers
04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
What's a few measly words here and there? :rolleyes:

Nor_Cal_Angler
04-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Only to play devils advocate here...

I do not think he missed them on purpose...He know's they are there, BUT...is there something somewhere that prevents the use of God in the pledge while on, or in federal grounds, or while Congress, or the Senate is in session....

I do not know the answer....

I do know the term "under God" was not part of the origional which was around the 1890's, but later added.

Maybe he was in the context of his speach citing the "origional" version.

NCA

BonMallari
04-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Harry Reid is Mormon

dnf777
04-13-2011, 04:55 AM
I know of at least one Civil War historian who has trouble reciting the "indivisible" part.

Goose
04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Is there a better liar in politics than Dingy Harry? Remember when he said that Social Security was not in crisis and that this was something perpetuated by people who don't like government and that Social Security was fully funded for the next 40 years:) How great is that!

As somebody else said, 'Harry Reid is nothing but a twisted old prune'...but he makes a great spokesman for the Cuban way of life.

We live in Cuba now.

huntinman
04-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I know of at least one Civil War historian who has trouble reciting the "indivisible" part.

Who would that be?

luvmylabs23139
04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Only to play devils advocate here...

I do not think he missed them on purpose...He know's they are there, BUT...is there something somewhere that prevents the use of God in the pledge while on, or in federal grounds, or

NCA

NO, I went to my parents citizenship swearing in. It was held in FEDERAL COURT. The FULL PLedge of Allegiance was part of the REQUIRED statements.

Roger Perry
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Is there a better liar in politics than Dingy Harry? Remember when he said that Social Security was not in crisis and that this was something perpetuated by people who don't like government and that Social Security was fully funded for the next 40 years:) How great is that!

As somebody else said, 'Harry Reid is nothing but a twisted old prune'...but he makes a great spokesman for the Cuban way of life.

We live in Cuba now.

Yeah, I can think of a former President and Vice-President.;-)

road kill
04-13-2011, 09:15 AM

MAN CRUSH!!!!!:D

RK

Roger Perry
04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
MAN CRUSH!!!!!:D

RK

That's right RK just keep up the name calling personal attacks. I am tired of it. It is degrading and demeaning.

Nor_Cal_Angler
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
NO, I went to my parents citizenship swearing in. It was held in FEDERAL COURT. The FULL PLedge of Allegiance was part of the REQUIRED statements.

Fair enough....again, I know he knew that the use of "under God" is still going strong today when we say the pledge.

Personally, I think it is disgusting that someone would leave that portion out. And I for one never would.

I just thought, "what if"

NCA

road kill
04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
That's right RK just keep up the name calling personal attacks. I am tired of it. It is degrading and demeaning.

It's not demeaning.
I have a MAN CRUSH on Brett Favre!!:D

But you couldn't possibly be as tired of 3 posts as we all are of your comments on President Bush.
Your obsession with him has been made clear by YOUR posts.

But if it is demeaning and degrading to you, I will stop.

Tea Bagger regards.........

RK

M&K's Retrievers
04-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Who called you anything??:confused:

Ken Bora
04-13-2011, 09:51 AM

now lets leave Kennedy and Johnson out of this.... ;-)

BonMallari
04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I was thinking Nixon and Agnew

road kill
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
William Jefferson Clinton & Algore anyone???:shock:

RK

luvmylabs23139
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Fair enough....again, I know he knew that the use of "under God" is still going strong today when we say the pledge.

Personally, I think it is disgusting that someone would leave that portion out. And I for one never would.

I just thought, "what if"

NCA

I personally find the "what if" excuses pathetic. I grew up in the US and was born British.
When I here "God Bless the Queen" played I think " My Country Tis of Thee"

dnf777
04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Who would that be?

Adam R.

Why do you want to know?

huntinman
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Adam R.

Why do you want to know?

Because I think you are blowing smoke as usual.

dnf777
04-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Because I think you are blowing smoke as usual.

Well, you're wrong, as usual. In case you slept through that part, we were engaged in a Civil War from 1861 to 1865. There were approximately 600,000 Americans who lost their lives. Sounds a little "divided" to some folks who study history. There were actually many states who according to their beliefs, seceded from the Union, making us, in the southerner's eye's, "divided". Just yesterday, we marked the 150th anniversary of the siege at Ft. Sumpter, commencing our nation's bloodiest battle.

I personally side with Lincoln, who never recognized the confederate states, and thus believed the nation was never divided. There are differing opinions however.

You might want to look it up and read a little, before blowing your own smoke, or accusing others of doing the same.

JDogger
04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Get ready Dave. I sense another attack looming.;) JD

Roger Perry
04-13-2011, 02:21 PM
DNF, why are you still here? Go play with your wooden boats and spew on your sailing forums. I was hoping you would be gone by now after the spanking you got but alas, my wish didn't come true. Apparently you had no problem leaving if Chris did it for you, but you weren't man enough to leave on your own.

More personal attacks. I thought the issues were supposed to be debated here.

Cody Covey
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
DNF, why are you still here?
I may disagree with DNF about a lot of this I think this about you EVERY post you make. You post nothing substantive and every single post you make is littered with personal attacks, how you have not been banned is beyond me.

huntinman
04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, you're wrong, as usual. In case you slept through that part, we were engaged in a Civil War from 1861 to 1865. There were approximately 600,000 Americans who lost their lives. Sounds a little "divided" to some folks who study history. There were actually many states who according to their beliefs, seceded from the Union, making us, in the southerner's eye's, "divided". Just yesterday, we marked the 150th anniversary of the siege at Ft. Sumpter, commencing our nation's bloodiest battle.

I personally side with Lincoln, who never recognized the confederate states, and thus believed the nation was never divided. There are differing opinions however.

You might want to look it up and read a little, before blowing your own smoke, or accusing others of doing the same.

I don't need a history lesson. I asked you to back up your claim. You said you knew a historian who had trouble reciting the "indivisible" part. I asked who he/she is. You provided a partial name that cannot be verified. Care to be more specific?

dnf777
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't need a history lesson. I asked you to back up your claim. You said you knew a historian who had trouble reciting the "indivisible" part. I asked who he/she is. You provided a partial name that cannot be verified. Care to be more specific?

No, I don't, as that person is not participating in this forum. Adam is a friend from way back in Texas, who always was very analytical. He was also quick to mention the OJ verdict in regards to "and justice for all". Talk to a few CivilWar historians, and you'll hear for yourself. I didn't say I agree, nor that that is a concensus, but when 600k men lay down their lives, its hard to ignore that a pretty big rift, if not division, indeed occurred.

Not sure why mentioning that in the context of this discussion warrants personal attacks. I expect nothing more from sandyq, but thought you and I could have a discussion without getting personal.

dnf777
04-13-2011, 08:03 PM
DNF, why are you still here? Go play with your wooden boats and spew on your sailing forums. I was hoping you would be gone by now after the spanking you got but alas, my wish didn't come true. Apparently you had no problem leaving if Chris did it for you, but you weren't man enough to leave on your own.

Hi Chris. Please note that I'm not responding in kind to this vile, sexually explicit, highly rude comment. Rather, thought you may want to know of the typical personal attack I and several others absorb on a frequent basis. No name calling, no personal insults. See, I'm keeping my word! :)

huntinman
04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
No, I don't, as that person is not participating in this forum. Adam is a friend from way back in Texas, who always was very analytical. He was also quick to mention the OJ verdict in regards to "and justice for all". Talk to a few CivilWar historians, and you'll hear for yourself. I didn't say I agree, nor that that is a concensus, but when 600k men lay down their lives, its hard to ignore that a pretty big rift, if not division, indeed occurred.

Not sure why mentioning that in the context of this discussion warrants personal attacks. I expect nothing more from sandyq, but thought you and I could have a discussion without getting personal.

There is no doubt there was a division in the country during the civil war, hence the war. I am talking about the present time. You said your historian friend had a problem with the indivisible part of the pledge. I am saying that there is nothing in this country at the present time that is even remotely close to the divisiveness of the civil war era. I would like to know what basis someone would have for making that claim today.

Ken Bora
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I am simultaneously afraid to ask and intrigued as heck.
What is sexually explicit about a wooden boat??

huntinman
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM

:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::

luvmylabs23139
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM

I too have been wondering the same thing!:confused:

huntinman
04-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Maybe it's something from his childhood:rolleyes:

Ken Bora
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
then how would both Sandy and Dave know about it, unless they wuz buds as kids??
No, it must have some double meaning Sandy and Dave know about.

M&K's Retrievers
04-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Woody maybe? :cool:

BonMallari
04-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Hi Chris. Please note that I'm not responding in kind to this vile, sexually explicit, highly rude comment. Rather, thought you may want to know of the typical personal attack I and several others absorb on a frequent basis. No name calling, no personal insults. See, I'm keeping my word! :)

Dnf, you hinted on another thread that someone snitched on a now banned RTF'er, but yet you go and do the same thing...I am NOT defending sandyG, but you are making it very difficult to be sympathetic to your cause too..

All that's gonna end up happening is that you (not literally) and everyone else responsible will give Chris no choice but to close the forum down..Chris made a blanket statement the other night and I think everyone took a step back...everyone but you...instead of taking the admonishment like we ALL did, you tried to debate the issue further and almost taunt Chris into banning your account...if you choose to play martyr, be my guest, but the forum needs opinions on both sides and even those from those of you that claim to be MOTRI

If you want to play gotcha with each other's posts,use the red triangle. Chris aint blind,just because he or any other moderator doesnt respond doesnt mean they arent watching

I used to hang out on POTUS because the main forum became rough but now POTUS has become downright nasty and mean spirited..let those that abuse the privilege eliminate themselves, before they close POTUS for everyone;)

dnf777
04-14-2011, 04:52 AM
Dnf, you hinted on another thread that someone snitched on a now banned RTF'er, but yet you go and do the same thing...I am NOT defending sandyG, but you are making it very difficult to be sympathetic to your cause too..

All that's gonna end up happening is that you (not literally) and everyone else responsible will give Chris no choice but to close the forum down..Chris made a blanket statement the other night and I think everyone took a step back...everyone but you...instead of taking the admonishment like we ALL did, you tried to debate the issue further and almost taunt Chris into banning your account...if you choose to play martyr, be my guest, but the forum needs opinions on both sides and even those from those of you that claim to be MOTRI

If you want to play gotcha with each other's posts,use the red triangle. Chris aint blind,just because he or any other moderator doesnt respond doesnt mean they arent watching

I used to hang out on POTUS because the main forum became rough but now POTUS has become downright nasty and mean spirited..let those that abuse the privilege eliminate themselves, before they close POTUS for everyone;)

Sorry bon. Certainly not taunting anyone. Just deferring to his judgement. Its his list. I have made an effort NOT to call names or personally insult anyone, so yes, if it continues, even escalates, I'll point it out as of now. Sandyq speaks of "playing with ones self" and "spewing on things"???? THAT type of language will get us shut down.

dnf777
04-14-2011, 04:58 AM
There is no doubt there was a division in the country during the civil war, hence the war. I am talking about the present time. You said your historian friend had a problem with the indivisible part of the pledge. I am saying that there is nothing in this country at the present time that is even remotely close to the divisiveness of the civil war era. I would like to know what basis someone would have for making that claim today.

Read POTUS lately? :D

Not everyone looks at everything in the present context only. Especially historians. ;-) We WERE divided, so some may not feel accurate calling us "indivisible".

Like I said, I don't agree, just pointing out an opposing view in the context of this thread.

Jason Glavich
04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Harry Reid is Mormon

Last time I checked they still believe in God! No need to bring senseless religion bashing into it. But then again that is a common tactic when arguing politics.

BonMallari
04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Last time I checked they still believe in God! No need to bring senseless religion bashing into it. But then again that is a common tactic when arguing politics.

Jason , You werent around (at least not in the fray) when I defended my Mormon friends when they were called a cult...my one line wasnt a bashing of the Mormon faith,it was a suggestion that MAYBE that was the reason of his omission from the word God ...I have way to much respect for my many Mormon friends in Utah and ID to bash the religion;-)

Jason Glavich
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Jason , You werent around (at least not in the fray) when I defended my Mormon friends when they were called a cult...my one line wasnt a bashing of the Mormon faith,it was a suggestion that MAYBE that was the reason of his omission from the word God ...I have way to much respect for my many Mormon friends in Utah and ID to bash the religion;-)

Oh then I apologize for the way I took it. My wife is a Member of the Church, I get a little defensive due to the common way they are viewed.

BonMallari
04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh then I apologize for the way I took it. My wife is a Member of the Church, I get a little defensive due to the common way they are viewed.

I do too...never understood much about it, until I spent considerable time around them and realized they are no different than you and me, except my friends dont drink coffee,Coca Cola or hunt/fish on Sundays

huntinman
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I didn't know that you call your winkie a "wooden boat". And never in a million years would I have guessed that there is a forum for it, much less a political forum! No wonder you think you're big man on campus!

spew (spyhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/oomacr.gif)v.tr.1. To send or force out in or as if in a stream; eject forcefully or in large amounts: a volcano that spewed molten lava; spewed invective at his opponent.
2. To vomit or otherwise cast out through the mouth.

As I see it:
1. You honestly read my comment as sexually explicit.
2. You pretend to be offended in the hope that Chris will ban me. If it's number 1, you need professional help.
If it's number 2, you grossly underestimate the intelligence of the readers of this forum and you grossly overestimate your own intelligence.

I choose # 2... although professeional help may still be warranted:cool:

YardleyLabs
04-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I suspect that the real answer may be that Harry Reid, like many others, already had the pledge fully ingrained into his psyche long before the words "under God" were inserted under Eisenhower. The change was adopted in 1954, but was not made in my public school until 1956. At that point Reid was already 17. Personally, I disagreed with the change when it was made (as did my family and my church) and still recite the pledge as I learned it in grade school.

Ken Bora
04-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I didn't know that you call your winkie a "wooden boat". And never in a million years would I have guessed that there is a forum for it........

Gives a hole new meaning to
"all hands on deck!"
or
"Shiver me Timber, we are going to the bottom!"
or
"Get out the raincoats men, we have choppy seas"
or
"You gotta get into dry dock and have that hull sanded."

remember if your main sail is up for longer than four hours or your spy glass becomes blurry go below deck immediately and find the saw bones.;-)

dixidawg
04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Was the wooden boat "The Good Ship Venus"???

(search for it in youtube)

dnf777
04-17-2011, 12:29 PM
The best thing about the wooden boat forum? No sandyq, and his ilk. Just friendly, useful information and camaraderie. If I mentioned on that forum that I also belonged to a retriever forum, I guarantee it would not generate childish comments. Have fun guys.

just sayin.....

dnf777
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
You started it by trying to make my comments appear as though they were sexually explicit. If you can't take the heat stop shivering your timbers.

I checked out your posts on forum.woodenboat.com and sailnet.com. You haven't posted anything political on those sites and you don't have many posts at all. Many of us here would thank you to spend more time there and less time here causing trouble.

Please don't muck up those fine sites with your typical banter.
Why can't you let this go? Its old hat, man. Folks, including myself, are SICK of it. Please let it go.

Cody Covey
04-17-2011, 02:28 PM
You started it by trying to make my comments appear as though they were sexually explicit. If you can't take the heat stop shivering your timbers.

I checked out your posts on forum.woodenboat.com and sailnet.com. You haven't posted anything political on those sites and you don't have many posts at all. Many of us here would thank you to spend more time there and less time here causing trouble.

Most here think the same of you and yet you continue to come. Didn't you say a couple days ago you were going to stay on the main forum...and yet here you are.

dnf777
04-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Can you prove most think the same of me? Why don't you start a poll on who is more disliked on this forum, DNF or me? I can tell you who the winner would be.

Here's a better idea. Let's both just stick to commenting on the topics of the threads, and drop the personal attacks and commentery??

M&K's Retrievers
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Here's a better idea. Let's both just stick to commenting on the topics of the threads, and drop the personal attacks and commentery??

You seem to have a hard time with that concept.

Ken Bora
04-17-2011, 11:30 PM
....friendly, useful information and camaraderie. If I mentioned on that forum that I also belonged to a retriever forum, I guarantee it would not generate childish comments...........

just goes to show, here on RTF.
We offer a bonus plan :D :D

Ken Bora
04-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Can you prove most think the same of me? Why don't you start a poll on who is more disliked on this forum, DNF or me? I can tell you who the winner would be.

I like how scrappy Dave is. Like a yappy dog trying to get into the kitchen trash can. And you can kick him all the way across the kitchen floor and he just fights for traction on the linoleum and comes right back yapping the whole way. Tenacious I say, I like that.
I like how he pisses off the folk I like here in POTUS cause then I can pick on them about it "Ha Ha Dave is on you again!" and stuff like that.
If we all agreed and if we all had the same arguing style it would be purty gosh darn boring and I would have to go to the other page and talk about dog training all eve.
So, I guess I am voting that I like Dave more than you.

was it supposed to be a public vote?

Franco
04-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Are you that infatuated with DNF that you are now stalking him on other sites?

It is people like you that gives Conservatives a bad name! Sandyg, you contributed zero to this forum and all of your post are nothing but insults. Is you life that frustrating?