PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Beware!

dnf777
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
NAIROBI, Kenya A ship-based laser tested by the U.S. Navy's research arm could put the heat on Somali pirates.

The Navy for the first time last week successfully tested a solid-state high-energy laser from a ship. The beam, which was aimed at a boat moving through turbulent Pacific Ocean waters, set the target's engine on fire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/af_piracy_navy_laser

If I were a pirate, I really would dust off my CV, and start looking for another line of work!

TxHillHunter
04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Saw this on the wire this am too. I hope we USE it!

As for a pirate's CV.....:p

NAIROBI, Kenya A ship-based laser tested by the U.S. Navy's research arm could put the heat on Somali pirates.

The Navy for the first time last week successfully tested a solid-state high-energy laser from a ship. The beam, which was aimed at a boat moving through turbulent Pacific Ocean waters, set the target's engine on fire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/af_piracy_navy_laser

If I were a pirate, I really would dust off my CV, and start looking for another line of work!

Julie R.
04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Still don't think we need anything high tech to vanquish the vermin. I bet after gator season we could hire some of those Swamp People & their beat up old rifles, a few treble hooks and put a souped up engine on one of those gator boats, give em some KFC for bait instead of their rotten chicken necks covered w/magic potions and turn them loose and GIT R DONE....probably save about a gajillion dollars, and wouldn't need to worry about any high tech gadgetry getting in the wrong hands. Who cares about the UN Commission on Human Rights, certainly no one south of the Equator. I say we hire Swamp People and initiate the

SSS Doctrine in the Gulf of Aden
Shoot
Shovel (or sink, as the case may be) &
Shut up!

Pals
04-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Holy Smokes Julie, you may be on to something truly awesome. Can we use them in Texas and Arizona too? Course I'm all for a little PC compassion, how about we dig a boarder moat/channel and transplant 1/2 the alligator population to the border moats? We can set up KFC stands on the other side, supply those pesky illegals with pole vaults and let em rip!

PC lefty alert: The above was a joke. Please unbind your panties and return to your regularly scheduled dose of mambie pambie MSNBC and metimusal.

troy schwab
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
PC lefty alert: The above was a joke. Please unbind your panties and return to your regularly scheduled dose of mambie pambie MSNBC and metimusal.

thanks Nancy......needed a good laugh......and that there is funny!

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Holy Smokes Julie, you may be on to something truly awesome. Can we use them in Texas and Arizona too? Course I'm all for a little PC compassion, how about we dig a boarder moat/channel and transplant 1/2 the alligator population to the border moats? We can set up KFC stands on the other side, supply those pesky illegals with pole vaults and let em rip!

Sounds like a good plan to me. Yes I'm serious.

dnf777
04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Yes I'm serious.

yeah, but think of all the poor defense contractor CEOs you'll be cheating out of gazillion dollar laser contracts!! Don't you want to help the economy? ;)

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
yeah, but think of all the poor defense contractor CEOs you'll be cheating out of gazillion dollar laser contracts!! Don't you want to help the economy? ;)

Think of how much it will help the deficit!:p

DSMITH1651
04-15-2011, 11:36 PM
hay now that may screw with the plan a few of my buddies and i came up with. Taking hunters on a pirate safari, step on get a real fancy power yacht and deck it out with natural looking blinds on the boat and you could put your hunters in them and when the pirate was sufficiently fooled and got too close the "hunters" could open up with what ever weapon they want. You could even use decoys, you know cut outs of scantily clad women, helicopters, and other expensive things just so the boat says " hay look at me i am defenseless " I think it would probably be hard to in port your trophy's so photos would have to do. Think the UN would try to shut us down? I wonder where we would find financing for such a venture. :razz:
Duane

dnf777
04-16-2011, 07:17 AM
hay now that may screw with the plan a few of my buddies and i came up with. Taking hunters on a pirate safari, step on get a real fancy power yacht and deck it out with natural looking blinds on the boat and you could put your hunters in them and when the pirate was sufficiently fooled and got too close the "hunters" could open up with what ever weapon they want. You could even use decoys, you know cut outs of scantily clad women, helicopters, and other expensive things just so the boat says " hay look at me i am defenseless " I think it would probably be hard to in port your trophy's so photos would have to do. Think the UN would try to shut us down? I wonder where we would find financing for such a venture. :razz:
Duane

Like fish, don't they have plastic trophies, so you can "catch and release", and still have a wall-hanger?

How about a fish-kill snuff box? I bet those big ships have a pretty impressive battery bank to hook into! :shock:

ah, the dolphin huggers wouldn't like that. Might have some collateral damages...

luvmylabs23139
04-16-2011, 09:10 AM
I wonder where we would find financing for such a venture. :razz:
Duane

Sounds like a much more efficent use of the billions we waste on the UN.

Julie R.
04-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Wonder if you'd have any trouble getting through customs with a stuffed Somali head?

WRL
04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Wonder if you'd have any trouble getting through customs with a stuffed Somali head?

Nah. Small businesses would start up for head shrinking.

You could probably specialize to get the shrunken heads under the 4 oz size so they would go under the TSA radar at the airports.

WRL

DSMITH1651
04-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I think we would have to get some of the tribesmen from the amazon that practice head shrinking to help get the headshrinkers going. I wonder how long it will be before PETA trys to get them listed as an endangered species :-P
Daune

gman0046
04-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how vermin in garbage scows could hi-jack anything without getting blown out of the water by U.S. helicopters and warships. Saw a segment on TV and as usual the U.S. Military is handicapped by rules of engagement. Too bad we have a Kenyan Potus who lacks cohones.