PDA

View Full Version : Uncertain about future benefits, many veteran teachers are retiring early

Roger Perry
04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Two days before the April 1 teacher retirement notification deadline in Milwaukee Public Schools, Karen Scharrer-Erickson drove to the district's human resources office on her lunch break.
The teacher of 43 years entered the room. Then she burst into tears.
"I am totally not ready," Scharrer-Erickson, a literacy coach at the Academy of Accelerated Learning, said this week. "I never thought about retiring until the (Gov.) Scott Walker situation, because this school is so special and I am working with the most incredibly caring teachers I have ever known."
At a time when the governor's plan to eliminate most collective bargaining for teachers and increase state employees' payments for health care and pension costs looms overhead, some school districts are seeing record numbers of senior teachers such as Scharrer-Erickson turn in their retirement paperwork.

Some districts, such as Oshkosh, Appleton and Madison, have extended their retirement deadlines to Friday. Preliminary figures reported by Oshkosh and Appleton showed a large increase in the number of teachers filing retirement paperwork. Oshkosh's 37 staff retirements is double last year's number and the highest since the district started tracking in 1994. Appleton already had seen 70 retirements from teachers and others in their bargaining group this week, up 29 from last year.
Mequon-Thiensville's retirements just about tripled from last year: 28 teachers by the Feb. 14 deadline vs. 10 last year. Green Bay also saw three times as many retirements this year compared with last: 140 teachers and 15 administrators, according to a spokeswoman.
"The amount of experience and expertise that walks out the door with these retirements is going to be impossible to replace,"

In Milwaukee Public Schools, Scharrer-Erickson is one of 207 teachers who have filed paperwork to retire with full benefits, according to the district. That's about double the teacher retirements the district recorded in the summer of 2010, but not the exodus some people had predicted.
In the Mukwonago School District, where officials declined to extend the teaching contract to keep those guarantees in place, 40 teachers have submitted their retirement requests this year - at least double what Prairie View Elementary School music teacher Jan Rolfe said she has seen in her nearly three decades with the district.
She's leaving sooner than she expected because she fears what would happen to her retirement plans if she stayed. But she also fears what will happen to the schools in her district when she and the other teachers leave.
"We're the teachers that these parents have been waiting for their kids to have," she said. "We're the teachers that their brothers and sisters have had. We're the teachers that mentor the newer teachers. And we're all going to be gone."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/119892934.html

But it's all about the kids right??????????????????????

Governor Walker in Washington DC

"Just how much did weakening government workers' collective bargaining rights save the state of Wisconsin? demanded Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio.
"That particular part doesn't save any," Walker replied. Earlier in his testimony, he told the committee the changes would save local governments in Wisconsin more than $700 million a year."

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat who represents the District of Columbia, asked Walker whether he's met with union representatives since the bill passed. Walker said no, but a member of his administration has.
Norton suggested Walker should take a lesson on civility from Congress, of all places. Though she often disagrees with Issa, for example, "I have always felt that this was somebody I could talk with and we could have a civil conversation."
In your shoes, she told Walker, "I would want to take the high road."

And it is not about busting unions either is it????????????

caryalsobrook
04-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Two days before the April 1 teacher retirement notification deadline in Milwaukee Public Schools, Karen Scharrer-Erickson drove to the district's human resources office on her lunch break.
"I am totally not ready," Scharrer-Erickson, a literacy coach at the Academy of Accelerated Learning, said this week. "I never thought about retiring until the (Gov.) Scott Walker situation, because this school is so special and I am working with the most incredibly caring teachers I have ever known."
At a time when the governor's plan to eliminate most collective bargaining for teachers and increase state employees' payments for health care and pension costs looms overhead, some school districts are seeing record numbers of senior teachers such as Scharrer-Erickson turn in their retirement paperwork.

Some districts, such as Oshkosh, Appleton and Madison, have extended their retirement deadlines to Friday. Preliminary figures reported by Oshkosh and Appleton showed a large increase in the number of teachers filing retirement paperwork. Oshkosh's 37 staff retirements is double last year's number and the highest since the district started tracking in 1994. Appleton already had seen 70 retirements from teachers and others in their bargaining group this week, up 29 from last year.
Mequon-Thiensville's retirements just about tripled from last year: 28 teachers by the Feb. 14 deadline vs. 10 last year. Green Bay also saw three times as many retirements this year compared with last: 140 teachers and 15 administrators, according to a spokeswoman.
"The amount of experience and expertise that walks out the door with these retirements is going to be impossible to replace,"

In Milwaukee Public Schools, Scharrer-Erickson is one of 207 teachers who have filed paperwork to retire with full benefits, according to the district. That's about double the teacher retirements the district recorded in the summer of 2010, but not the exodus some people had predicted.
In the Mukwonago School District, where officials declined to extend the teaching contract to keep those guarantees in place, 40 teachers have submitted their retirement requests this year - at least double what Prairie View Elementary School music teacher Jan Rolfe said she has seen in her nearly three decades with the district.
She's leaving sooner than she expected because she fears what would happen to her retirement plans if she stayed. But she also fears what will happen to the schools in her district when she and the other teachers leave.
"We're the teachers that these parents have been waiting for their kids to have," she said. "We're the teachers that their brothers and sisters have had. We're the teachers that mentor the newer teachers. And we're all going to be gone."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/119892934.html

Governor Walker in Washington DC

"Just how much did weakening government workers' collective bargaining rights save the state of Wisconsin? demanded Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio.
"That particular part doesn't save any," Walker replied. Earlier in his testimony, he told the committee the changes would save local governments in Wisconsin more than $700 million a year."

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat who represents the District of Columbia, asked Walker whether he's met with union representatives since the bill passed. Walker said no, but a member of his administration has.
Norton suggested Walker should take a lesson on civility from Congress, of all places. Though she often disagrees with Issa, for example, "I have always felt that this was somebody I could talk with and we could have a civil conversation."
In your shoes, she told Walker, "I would want to take the high road."

And it is not about busting unions either is it????????????

So are you saying that the teachers get a better retirement if they retire now than in the future?? WHAT A RETIREMENT SYSTEM. Seems to me that makes no sense. Here in tennessee teachers teach summer school the last 5 years they work in order to inflate their salary so their retirement baloons sinch the last 5 years of salary determines the amount of their pension. Makes good sense doesn't it? Current value of the short term dollar is far greater that the current value of the long term dollar. Wish I could have figured out how to make that work. Then I would not have saved til the last 5 years and could retire better than what I wased the last 30 years/

road kill
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
So are you saying that the teachers get a better retirement if they retire now than in the future?? WHAT A RETIREMENT SYSTEM. Seems to me that makes no sense. Here in tennessee teachers teach summer school the last 5 years they work in order to inflate their salary so their retirement baloons sinch the last 5 years of salary determines the amount of their pension. Makes good sense doesn't it? Current value of the short term dollar is far greater that the current value of the long term dollar. Wish I could have figured out how to make that work. Then I would not have saved til the last 5 years and could retire better than what I wased the last 30 years/

Yes, these DEDICATED souls are retiring NOW so that they can get a better DEAL for themselves.

They will be agonizing all the way to the bank about all the KIDS they have forsaken for their own BENEFIT!!!!

See what I'm sayin'????:D

Roger Perry
04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm saying there are going to be alot of good experienced teachers retiring so they do not get screwed out of their pensions. They will probably be replaced with inexpienced teachers ( if they can find any at all to replace them that want to pay high health care costs and will have to contribute more to their retirement).

Buzz
04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, these DEDICATED souls are retiring NOW so that they can get a better DEAL for themselves.

They will be agonizing all the way to the bank about all the KIDS they have forsaken for their own BENEFIT!!!!

You saying that you wouldn't do the same?

road kill
04-15-2011, 02:48 PM
You saying that you wouldn't do the same?

I don't know what I would do.
Frankly, I would probably continue to work because I would get bored, and it's doubtful they could do better.
Of course they could get another job and have 2 pensions.
I don't have that deal.

If I wanted to sell out and take the cash I would.
If I was truly dedicated to the kids I would gut it out even with the terrible, unspeakable things that are about to occur to these poor souls.:cry:

But I would not claim to be both.

You don't know me, and probably can't accept that, and I understand.
But I do know me, and I would not take the money and run and claim I was doing it for the kids.

You simply can't have it both ways.

To incorporate one of my Pop's old sayings: "don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!!"

Thanks Pop, you done good!:D

RK

Roger Perry
04-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Well according to some of the comments by the "retiring teachers" I would say there are alot of teachers will be sorry to leave the schools where they teach and the kids they will be leaving behind.;-) And the total amount of teachers retiring is still not known yet. Just wait until the next school year for the schools to see how they will operate on 900 million dollars less than they had this school year.

caryalsobrook
04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Well according to some of the comments by the "retiring teachers" I would say there are alot of teachers will be sorry to leave the schools where they teach and the kids they will be leaving behind.;-) And the total amount of teachers retiring is still not known yet. Just wait until the next school year for the schools to see how they will operate on 900 million dollars less than they had this school year.

I walked into my office after 35 years practicing dentistry and burst into tears:( Itotally was not ready to retire until the Obama situation because the practice of dentistry is so special and I was working with the most incredibility caring dental assistants and hygienists I have ever known. We were the office that their brothers and sisters have had and we are all going to be gone. We're the dentists that mentor the newer dentists and we are all going to be gone. Woe is us all!!

T. Mac
04-15-2011, 03:18 PM

A little reality check here. A teacher with 43 years experience would be over 65. A teacher with 43 years and age 65 would not be improving their retirement in CA if they taught any longer, in fact they would be losing money. It is hard for me to believe that a 65 year old with 43 years work experience has never thought of retiring. If she really likes the job, she can retire and then put her name on the long term sub list and work part time and still collect her pension.

Roger Perry
04-15-2011, 03:28 PM
A little reality check here. A teacher with 43 years experience would be over 65. A teacher with 43 years and age 65 would not be improving their retirement in CA if they taught any longer, in fact they would be losing money. It is hard for me to believe that a 65 year old with 43 years work experience has never thought of retiring. If she really likes the job, she can retire and then put her name on the long term sub list and work part time and still collect her pension.

That is just one teacher that was interviewed. Scott Walker's cutting teacher benefits is what is causing these teachers to retire. Some School districts have 2 to 3 times the normal amount of teachers retiring. And what I meant when I said it about the kids is that Governor Walker plan is going to tear the school system apart in Wisconsin. Between the number of teachers retiring and and 980 million dollars less for the schools to operate on the school systems will fail.

road kill
04-15-2011, 03:38 PM
That is just one teacher that was interviewed. Scott Walker's cutting teacher benefits is what is causing these teachers to retire. Some School districts have 2 to 3 times the normal amount of teachers retiring. And what I meant when I said it about the kids is that Governor Walker plan is going to tear the school system apart in Wisconsin. Between the number of teachers retiring and and 980 million dollars less for the schools to operate on the school systems will fail.

Absurd......

RK

T. Mac
04-15-2011, 03:42 PM

If you think that is bad, than you will really disgusted with CA. CA has pink slipped over 30,000 teachers! Loss of State funding for schools is in the multi billions of dollars. And this is in a democratic controlled state.

And while you note that some districts have 2-3x the normal number of retirees, it is important to remember that you are now hitting the baby boom years where retirements are going to really ramp up further affecting state budgets as many/most public retirement accounts (look at SS) are terribly underfunded. So increased retirements is not unexpected no matter what the circumstances in the political arena!

duckheads
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Well the teachers in our school district have received a 2.9% raise the last 6 years and our test scores have gone down the last 5 years and now our high school is on academic probation. This is the lowest level you can be as a school. Our oldest is in 7th grade. We don't ahve five years for them to turn things around. All about the kids my booty! There are a lot of teachers that are only there for their summers off as my daughters sixth grade teacher would tell the class weekly. I wonder why there are so many kids struggling in 7th grade? I know where I would look. But what do I know? I haven't gone to graduate school. I just a dumb old small business owner!

starjack
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I look at this as opportunity for young up start teachers. Whether you like to admit or not the teacher that has long tenure is getting close to retirement anyway. But if it stayed the way it was they would hang on as long as possible just for the pension. There is also some that the patience level for the kids are gone. Maybe it is time for a change with younger teachers that are closer to the kids level. So they can bring that fire of the profession they have chosen and get it out of the kids. Teaching has changed over time just like everything else and if you do not stay on top of it or have the passion for it anymore it is time to move on. As for the teacher of 43 yrs crying about this Walker situation is exactly the point

Marvin S
04-15-2011, 05:59 PM
The teacher of 43 years entered the room. Then she burst into tears. "I am totally not ready," Scharrer-Erickson, a literacy coach at the Academy of Accelerated Learning, said this week. "I never thought about retiring until the (Gov.) Scott Walker situation, because this school is so special and I am working with the most incredibly caring teachers I have ever known."

What's a literacy coach? If it's what I think it is read the statement! I'm not the brightest bulb as a wordsmith but apparently she isn't either & she's getting paid for it :( !!!!!!!!!!!

What's the Academy of Accelerated Learning & it compares to what? & where does this pedagogue rank relative to the 42%average on the Bell Curve? You need to vet the links you post!!!!!

In your world it's OK for this person to blubber as it's about herself, but it was not OK for the SotH to blubber about his accomplishments & what he intends to accomplish for the American people. If there is one thing some teachers are accomplished at, it's whining :o. It's a sad day when they chose to quote this individual.

Uncle Bill
04-15-2011, 07:10 PM

As hanging chads go, you are far too intelligent for this board. Obviously you have solved ALL the debt problems in your state, so now you feel compelled to do the same for Wisconsin. How grandiose of you.

Let's all remind ourselves that we need that daily dose of socialism from Roger and his sources, or we might forget how incredibly broke the system is. Enablers like Roger and his clan will constantly fight for what his messiah believes in, and will continue to enjoy watching this nation crumble at the spendthrifts running the Senate and WH. Just brilliant.

As that ignoramus Einstein stated, the major difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.

UB

Pinehill
04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
retired teachers can't go on strike for more money- no down side there! And demanding that they pay a bigger share for their benefits is the same thing those of us in other jobs have had to do. I know teachers work hard, I don't dispute that, but the benefit package the Wis, teahcers have and the RESULTS the taxpayers of Wis are getting is in direct opposition.

Roger Perry
04-16-2011, 08:40 AM
As hanging chads go, you are far too intelligent for this board. Obviously you have solved ALL the debt problems in your state, so now you feel compelled to do the same for Wisconsin. How grandiose of you.

Let's all remind ourselves that we need that daily dose of socialism from Roger and his sources, or we might forget how incredibly broke the system is. Enablers like Roger and his clan will constantly fight for what his messiah believes in, and will continue to enjoy watching this nation crumble at the spendthrifts running the Senate and WH. Just brilliant.

As that ignoramus Einstein stated, the major difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.

UB

At least the sources that I quote are legimitate ones coming from news articles. I was born and raised in Wisconsin and still have alot of relatives still living and working there. You do not see me commenting on anything going on in South Dakota or Tennessee do you????????????