PDA

View Full Version : anyone use Linix?

subroc
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Does anyone use the Linux operating system (ubuntu or others)?

any advice or recomendations?

dnf777
04-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Had to chuckle...I thought "ubuntu" was another forum name for Obama, and it was no wonder it wouldn't work.

Then I saw who posted, and knew better. ;-)

But, nope, I went Mac, and never looked back.

subroc
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
well, he is an operator but I am not sure about him being an operating system.

Cody Covey
04-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Why are you wanting to go with Linux would be my first question? I have a Ubuntu boot on my windows box in a virtual machine just to get familiar with Linux but for me there is nothing it does better than Windows that I care about.

With that out of the way Ubuntu is usually consider the best/easiest to get into for someone just learning linux. It has a full GUI and you can still use the terminal as well. I think with a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish I can answer better.

subroc
04-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Why are you wanting to go with Linux would be my first question? I have a Ubuntu boot on my windows box in a virtual machine just to get familiar with Linux but for me there is nothing it does better than Windows that I care about.

With that out of the way Ubuntu is usually consider the best/easiest to get into for someone just learning linux. It has a full GUI and you can still use the terminal as well. I think with a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish I can answer better.

My reason is the same, just to get familiar with it. I just finished loading ubuntu. took a couple hours wuth the dvd drive stalling and the several restarts needed. seems to work fine.

Cody Covey
04-17-2011, 03:19 PM
My reason is the same, just to get familiar with it. I just finished loading ubuntu. took a couple hours wuth the dvd drive stalling and the several restarts needed. seems to work fine.

Then yep that will get you where you need to be. I corrupted my windows boot my first time trying to install it so I am very familiar with sudo fdisk lol. Good luck...always fun learning new stuff like that