PDA

View Full Version : Should The Debt Ceiling Be Raised ?

Franco
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
I say, NO!

The politicians are trying to scare the American people by saying we would default on our credit.

Yet, there is much waste in the new budget. Both parties are being irresponsible because both are protecting thier pet projects, earmarks/pork. The only difference between the two is their social agenda. Both represent big government.

Ryan's budget proposal is nothing more than a bandaide on a severed artery. Rand Paul's buget proposal which addresses the real issues of the deficit is not even being taken seriously in DC.

I see it as a complete failure of our Federal Government!

BonMallari
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
raising the debt ceiling is like raising the credit limit on your credit cards all you will end up doing is spending more and max it out because you think you can

mjh345
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
NO!!!!
Cut then cut again, then cut some more. There is plenty of lard that needs to be lopped off that hog

Uncle Bill
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Talking about it here is only good at finding out what our conservative brethern think. Have we all sent our views to our reps in DC? It's easy for me, I only have two to write to. One of our Senators is brain dead, so it does no good letting him know what I think...he's going to vote with the Obama crowd even if it was shown to him we have one leg over the cliff and the other on a banana peel.

UB

BonMallari
04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Talking about it here is only good at finding out what our conservative brethern think. Have we all sent our views to our reps in DC? It's easy for me, I only have two to write to. One of our Senators is brain dead, so it does no good letting him know what I think...he's going to vote with the Obama crowd even if it was shown to him we have one leg over the cliff and the other on a banana peel.

UB

My state senators are the mealy mouth Harry Reid, and cant keep it in his pants John Ensign...who do you suggest I write to

Franco
04-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Freedomewatch.org has a listing of all Senators and Congressmen with email addresses as well as all the bills that are up for vote. I usually email my thoughts on every issue to the Louisiana folks.

I would suggest y'all do the same no matter which planet they live on;-)

Uncle Bill
04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
My state senators are the mealy mouth Harry Reid, and cant keep it in his pants John Ensign...who do you suggest I write to

At least you recognize your predicament. Get in touch with your local TEA Party crowd and get involved in putting up someone with the onions to get rid of the union thug influence that keeps a slug like Reid in office.

As you recall, we had the previous 'leader', but got lucky we had a John Thune to oust him. At the time, I thought we couldn't have a more smarmy politician in the Senatorial role than Dashole..but I was wrong. "dingy" Harry is by for worse...but when we are talking percentages in the single digits, it's not much of a donkey race.

UB

dnf777
04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry guys, surprising as it may be, I disagree.

That money has ALREADY BEEN SPENT. Not backing it up, with whatever ill-begotten ways, could render the dollar worth the paper its printed on.

I've been harping on this matter for over 10 years. But we kept running up debt left and right. (pun intended) Now, one side is going to pretend to take responsibility by defaulting on promises that THEY THEMSELVES made to the American people.

We must authorize this, swallow that bitter pill, and enact REAL FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY....that comes in the form of budgets, not loan defaults and bond withdrawls, and denial of vital services.

Oh, and if this measure fails to pass, and we do default on payments....we will NOT come out smelling like a rose....and whichever party is perceived as being responsible, will likely cease to remain a viable force in politics. Not that I care for either major party, but I suspect the GOP and tea party would take it on the chin.

Franco
04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Sorry guys, surprising as it may be, I disagree.

That money has ALREADY BEEN SPENT. Not backing it up, with whatever ill-begotten ways, could render the dollar worth the paper its printed on.

I've been harping on this matter for over 10 years. But we kept running up debt left and right. (pun intended) Now, one side is going to pretend to take responsibility by defaulting on promises that THEY THEMSELVES made to the American people.

We must authorize this, swallow that bitter pill, and enact REAL FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY....that comes in the form of budgets, not loan defaults and bond withdrawls, and denial of vital services.

Oh, and if this measure fails to pass, and we do default on payments....we will NOT come out smelling like a rose....and whichever party is perceived as being responsible, will likely cease to remain a viable force in politics. Not that I care for either major party, but I suspect the GOP and tea party would take it on the chin.

Actually, defaulting could be very strategic in us heading down a sound financial road.

First, it would demonstrate that we are serious about the problem and realize spending more is not the answer. Second, there is till a lot of wasteful spending in the budget and would force cuts in many of the unneeded areas.

By addressing the problem instead of hiding from it, we gain credibility.

road kill
04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Here in WI, we voted Feingold out and Johnson in.
You would like Ron Johnson.

Another guy we sent to Washington is a guy named Paul Ryan.
You may have heard of him, Obama has, as long as Ryan is around Obama is only the second smartest guy in the room!!
And he don't like that!!!!!;-)

I helped both Johnson & Ryan with $$ and my votes.
We are doing our end!!!!!:D

RK

troy schwab
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually, defaulting could be very strategic in us heading down a sound financial road.

First, it would demonstrate that we are serious about the problem and realize spending more is not the answer. Second, there is till a lot of wasteful spending in the budget and would wforce cuts in many of the unneeded areas.

By addressing the problem instead of hiding from it, we gain credibility.

Franco may be on to something here.......with all of our outstanding debt and uncontrolled QE practices........the government will have to devalue the dollar.......its not a choice.....they have to. that would be one way to do it..........scary.

dnf777
04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Franco may be on to something here.......with all of our outstanding debt and uncontrolled QE practices........the government will have to devalue the dollar.......its not a choice.....they have to. that would be one way to do it..........scary.

Yes. Defaulting = Devaluing the dollar

Ready for $1000 weekly grocery tabs? $900 fill-ups at the gas station?

I'm not.

I hope those are wildly extreme, alarmist, exaggerated numbers......but do we know what defaulting will really mean??

luvmylabs23139
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Actually the federal gov't would not have to default on the debt. There is revenue coming in. It would be simple (not pleasant) to pay the debt obligations priority number one and simply stop spending anymore money.

TxHillHunter
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Actually the federal gov't would not have to default on the debt. There is revenue coming in. It would be simple (not pleasant) to pay the debt obligations priority number one and simply stop spending anymore money.

BINGO!! What do we generate....something like $2 trillion a year in tax receipts? Somehow I think that should cover the debt service on the debt.....but not while spending at the rate we currently do.

Franco
04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
If we defaulted and had a plan that was believeable to out creditors, we would escape any sort of inflation and faith would return to the value of the dollar.

Just look at how stupid our current policy is. Here is an example; China buys our debt so we can afford to defend Taiwan against the Chinese. Tell me where that makes any sense? Our politicians will not get serious about the debt until the American people call them on the carpet. Where is the call for an Amendment for a balanced budget? Until we have one, politicians will continue to use tax dollars to buy votes!

By defaulting, all their pet projects/earmarks/pork will go bye-bye! Out of control entitlements and other government waste will be curtailed. If they get away with raising the debt ceiling, like they did two years ago, they will look at raising it again in another two years. It just won't stop!

Goose
04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I just read where the Greek 2-year note is priced to yield 22%:) That's so cool! Of course it will never happen here. Right, Ben? Right, Timmy? Right, Barack?

We live in Cuba now.

Gerry Clinchy
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
It occurs to me ...

We have these ostensibly really smart people running this whole show, right?

Well, for a while now they've been watching unemployment (& underemployment) get worse, which means that they should anticipate lower income tax revenues, right?

So, on top of that they give out a bunch of tax credits to buy new homes to people who are working & many of whom were going to buy those homes anyhow.

So ... they spend a bunch of billions to bail out the mortgage mess because it would cause financial collapse. Then more billions to "stimulate" the economy, many of which billions only allow state & local govts to simply bridge their budget gaps & not look forward to what they will do the following year.

Now, OMG! our debt ceiling is being reached! OMG! OMG! We just forgot to count up all those billions we were borrowing/spending. The sky will fall unless you let us borrow more!

These economic geniuses, can they not do basic arithmetic? Our successful educational system at work?

So, if we let them borrow more, what are they going to do about next year? Will their arithmetic skills fail again?

Seems like they're going to argue about picking pepper out of flysheet ... massive debate over $38 billion that works out to far less. Meanwhile telling us to get used to paying $4/gallon for gasoline.

And we think these fellas are so bright we should let them run our govt and economy?

TxHillHunter
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
It occurs to me ...

We have these ostensibly really smart people running this whole show, right?

Well, for a while now they've been watching unemployment (& underemployment) get worse, which means that they should anticipate lower income tax revenues, right?

So, on top of that they give out a bunch of tax credits to buy new homes to people who are working & many of whom were going to buy those homes anyhow.

So ... they spend a bunch of billions to bail out the mortgage mess because it would cause financial collapse. Then more billions to "stimulate" the economy, many of which billions only allow state & local govts to simply bridge their budget gaps & not look forward to what they will do the following year.

Now, OMG! our debt ceiling is being reached! OMG! OMG! We just forgot to count up all those billions we were borrowing/spending. The sky will fall unless you let us borrow more!

These economic geniuses, can they not do basic arithmetic? Our successful educational system at work?

So, if we let them borrow more, what are they going to do about next year? Will their arithmetic skills fail again?

Seems like they're going to argue about picking pepper out of flysheet ... massive debate over $38 billion that works out to far less. Meanwhile telling us to get used to paying $4/gallon for gasoline.

And we think these fellas are so bright we should let them run our govt and economy?

Almost like they failed arithmetic, huh. Not sure who up there thinks we can borrow our way out of debt?!

cotts135
04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I say, NO!

The politicians are trying to scare the American people by saying we would default on our credit.

Yet, there is much waste in the new budget. Both parties are being irresponsible because both are protecting thier pet projects, earmarks/pork. The only difference between the two is their social agenda. Both represent big government.

Ryan's budget proposal is nothing more than a bandaide on a severed artery. Rand Paul's buget proposal which addresses the real issues of the deficit is not even being taken seriously in DC.

I see it as a complete failure of our Federal Government!

I am with you on this one. Eventually hard choices will have to be made, doing it now will hurt far less than if we keep postponing it to the future. The problem is that this will never happen. If the dire consequences that are predicted to come true actually materialize(Which I doubt. Sounds a lot like the bailout crisis we heard just a few years ago ). this will almost surely make most of these guys unelectable come voting time. They will not act against their own best interests.

road kill
04-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I am with you on this one. Eventually hard choices will have to be made, doing it now will hurt far less than if we keep postponing it to the future. The problem is that this will never happen. If the dire consequences that are predicted to come true actually materialize(Which I doubt. Sounds a lot like the bailout crisis we heard just a few years ago ). this will almost surely make most of these guys unelectable come voting time. They will not act against their own best interests.

If we do it now, we have some choices, the longer we wait the less choices we will have until we have NO CHOICE!!

JMO

RK

Uncle Bill
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Do any of us realize how close this is to happening? Here's a column from the Redstate that is quite scary. While Obama is campaigning for welfare to replace capitalism, with his childish speechs. Talking to all those 'school' children that genuflect every time he talks, the messiah continues to talk to audiences that have zero understanding of how pathetic his lack of knowledge is.

How long will the SFN crowd be in charge? God help us if enough real Americans don't become energized to overturn this oligarchy that this country's ignorant voters put into the WH.

UB

Posted by Erick Erickson (http://new.retrievertraining.net/erick/) (Profile (http://new.retrievertraining.net/users/erick/))
Thursday, April 21st at 10:50AM EDT

Gas prices have more than doubled since Barack Obama took office. His deficit spending makes George Bush look like a rank amateur. 78% of Americans recognize inflation is on the rise. One dollar bill buys less and less. We’re a little bit more pregnant in Libya, but just barely. Our foreign policy is rudderless and often against our best interests.

Today comes news that for the first time since the Great Depression, more Americans get government money than give the government money. (http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/04/20/government-cash-handouts-exceed-tax-revenues/) Americans are dependent on Washington for the livelihoods.

Also out late yesterday, CNS News reports that we will hit the legal limit on the national debt (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/federal-borrowing-pace-hit-debt-limit-le) in less than a week. This is surprising news to pretty much everyone. But the data comes from the Treasury Department itself.
This is no way to enter a re-election campaign. Barack Obama cannot run on hope or change. Instead, he is going to run on fear. It is abundantly apparent and confirmed to me by several Democrats who’d know. Barack Obama’s re-election strategy will be a scorched earth campaign.

Over the next few months, Barack Obama will seek to define the Republicans as willing to kill the old and young, pass radical legislation, and send us into the league of the third world. “But wait,” you say. “Barack Obama has already done that.”

In essence, yes. So Obama is not going to run on defending his record. He’s going to run on saying that Republicans will be even worse than him and, oh by the way, none of it is his fault.

Barack Obama has largely gotten a pass his whole life. He’s never been in a real executive role. By his own admission in his book he was largely a failed community organizer. And now he is failed President.

The only way to hang on to his job is to peddle fear and intimidation of those who’d stand in his way. This is also one reason so many Republicans are waiting to announce their runs. They all know the moment they come out swinging, Obama’s union goons and money will savage them.

At the same time, the GOP has yet to mount a successful attack on Obama to make him own high gas, high inflation, declining dollars, and our declining standing in the world. If they don’t get out there soon, the hill they have to climb will be even higher.