PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

Matt McKenzie
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the current President isn't getting nearly as much blame for gas prices as the last one did?
Of course most of us here are intelligent and educated enough to understand that the President has little to do with gas prices, but it sure seems like GWB got blamed a lot, but BO not so much. I guess those were the same folks that were war protesters when GWB was in office, but have found other things to do while BO is basically following the same program in the middle east.
I just find it interesting and somewhat amusing.

huntinman
04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the current President isn't getting nearly as much blame for gas prices as the last one did?
Of course most of us here are intelligent and educated enough to understand that the President has little to do with gas prices, but it sure seems like GWB got blamed a lot, but BO not so much. I guess those were the same folks that were war protesters when GWB was in office, but have found other things to do while BO is basically following the same program in the middle east.
I just find it interesting and somewhat amusing.

The old double standard...:rolleyes:

JDogger
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM
OK. Let me get your message.

Obama wants fuel prices to increase.

Increaseing fuel prices make Obama less re-electable.

What's his game here?

What am I missing?

JD

precisionlabradors
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM
maybe it's because you bush defenders did such a good job at educating the masses that gas prices are not to be blamed on the potus that the masses learned their lesson and are not doing it so much this time around.

duckheads
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
We got Obamacare last year and this year it looks like we get Obamagas!

road kill
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Obama may not be to blame, but as President of the United Staes he bears the responsibilty, just like Bush did.

It is on him and he can do things to affect the speculation and prices.

May not be right, but it is what it is!!!!

RK

Cody Covey
04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Why do we allow speculation on the oil market. It seems to provide nothing ot the economy other than a get rich quick scheme for hedge funds....

Golddogs
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Why do we allow speculation on the oil market. It seems to provide nothing ot the economy other than a get rich quick scheme for hedge funds....

Deep pocketed special interest groups who grease both sides of the rail. Same reason the bankers and wall street got off scott free for the morgage mess. Rep's and Dem's don't want to lose the donations.

Stop pac money and special interest money and you MIGHT change the status quo.

Follow the Money Regards

Hew
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
maybe it's because you bush defenders did such a good job at educating the masses that gas prices are not to be blamed on the potus that the masses learned their lesson and are not doing it so much this time around.
If gas prices were the only issue I might believe you. But there's a list longer than your arm of issues that hypocritical liberals/democrats don't say a peep about now, yet bleated about continuously when Bush was president.

Anyone remember the last POTUS Place discussion about the Patriot Act? Yeah, me neither. I remember plenty of threads about it on RTF when Bush was President. Or Gitmo. Or domestic surveillance. Where's Code Pink? Where's Cindy Sheehan? Where's the anti-war protests? As Doc Holliday would say, "I'm afraid the progressives' hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Uncle Bill
04-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows the answer to what's going on...only the complete toadies that intend to vote for Obama again are holding him completely blameless.

Of course his administrations withholding drilling permits, have a huge reason for blame.

We also KNOW how the sycophantic sleeze bags in the MSP are carrying the water for this group of Chicago thugs that make up the Obama oligarchy. Only his bleeding heart followers continue to be the sheeple he relys on for their blind support...we see them even on a BB such as this.

For those new to RTF POTUS, let me remind you how we got where we are today....

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but the citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency.

It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency, than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to an electorate willing to have such a man for their president.

The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.

The republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their President."

-- Author Unknown

So when you look at your neighbor's yard sign promoting Obama for POTUS, you KNOW who's actually to blame for what's happening to 'your' country.

UB

Dooley
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Okay....here is some info on prices up here in Milton, Ontario, Canada.
We are about 40 mins. west of Toronto

1 Liter of gas = .26 U.S. gallons (roughly a quarter of a gallon)

we are paying $1.39/liter as of tomorrow morning (Friday) which represents
$5.56 per U.S. gallon approx.

Now that is criminal!!! Not to mention almost $70 for a bag of dog food!

Comments are always welcome.

caryalsobrook
04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Okay....here is some info on prices up here in Milton, Ontario, Canada.
We are about 40 mins. west of Toronto

1 Liter of gas = .26 U.S. gallons (roughly a quarter of a gallon)

we are paying $1.39/liter as of tomorrow morning (Friday) which represents
$5.56 per U.S. gallon approx.

Now that is criminal!!! Not to mention almost $70 for a bag of dog food!

Comments are always welcome.

Don't worry. Many in this counry envy your country and hold it up as an example of how the US should be. We are just right behind you.

Buzz
04-27-2011, 10:15 PM

In commodity markets, a certain amount of speculation is necessary for the market to work smoothly. You hear that speculators provide liquidity to the market. What it means in practical terms is that they provide a customer when no one is buying and they provide a product when no one is selling. Take a farmer for example. Say you have grain ready for market. But no cereal companies are buying grain. The speculator can buy your crops and hang on to them. You have your money, your happy and you can pay off your creditors. Then at some point the cereal company is looking for grain but no farmers are selling. But the speculator has the grain you sold him, and if the price is good he can supply the buyer and maybe make a few bucks. Your happy, the speculator is happy, and the cereal company is happy.

Back in 1936 FDR passed the Commodity Exchange Act to prevent speculators from screwing around with the prices of necessities. To prevent speculators from buying up a big percentage of the commodity on the market so that they could manipulate the price, the law set up position limits. That would assure that the market would be dominated by physical hedgers like farmers and cereal makers or oil producers and say airlines. The speculators would be limited to a marginal role, functionally keeping things running smoothly.

Then back in the 1980's, investment banks like Goldman started buying stakes in firms that held seats on the various commodities exchanges. In the early 90's they started asking the CFTC to lighten up on the position limit thing. In 1991 an appointee of Bush I handed out the first exemption to Goldman Sachs. In the following years another 16 were handed out. Later on came what was known as the swaps loophole, allowing speculators to get around position limits by trading through a swaps dealer. Then came the Enron Loophole, which eliminated disclosure on position limits if they were traded on electronic exchanges. Then the London Loophole which loosened regulations on trades at foreign exchanges. This all spawned a new investment vehicle called index speculation. By 2008 80% of commodity exchange activity was speculative. You want a hedge on inflation? A weak dollar? Stocks not doing well? Plough your money into commodities! And so it goes...

mjh345
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Deep pocketed special interest groups who grease both sides of the rail. Same reason the bankers and wall street got off scott free for the morgage mess. Rep's and Dem's don't want to lose the donations.

Follow the Money Regards
There you have it

Roger Perry
04-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah right, Oil companies need more tax credits:rolleyes:

NEW YORK Exxon earned nearly $11 billion in the first quarter, a performance that will likely land it in the center of the national debate over high gasoline prices.
The world's largest publicly traded company on Thursday reported net income of $10.65 billion, or $2.14 per share, in the first three months of the year. That compares with $6.3 billion, or 1.33 per share. Revenue increased 26 percent to $114 billion.

The results surpassed Wall Street estimates of $2.04 per share on sales (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42796657/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/#) of $112.6 billion, according to FactSet.
The quarter was Exxon's best since earning a record-setting $14.83 billion in 2008's third quarter. It comes at a time when some drivers are paying $4 or more for gas and President Obama is threatening the oil industry's (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42796657/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/#) multibillion-dollar tax subsidies.
Exxon Mobil Corp. increased earnings despite a slight drop in worldwide oil and natural gas liquids production. Benchmark crude prices (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42796657/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/#) increased 20 percent from the same period last year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42796657/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

Buzz
04-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Follow the Money Regards

With the citizen united decision from the supreme court, I believe we've lost our country.

Marvin S
04-28-2011, 08:54 AM
With the citizen united decision from the supreme court, I believe we've lost our country.

With the amount of money spent & free publicity received by SEIU & AFSCME it is hard to believe anyone would post a statement like that, unless they were blatantly biased :razz:. Which apparently you are :).

Gerry Clinchy
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Truth is stranger than fiction ... NY Times had an editorial about how we need additional Fed tax on gasoline ... "an emissions tax".