PDA

View Full Version : The status of the POTUS subforum on RTF forums?

Chris Atkinson
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Please take a moment to click a button. I'm sincerely interested in your opinions on this.

How do you feel that today's POTUS board is operating? Do you feel it is giving any value?

Loren Crannell
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I said other, because I think it has value and people should be able to express political views outside of the normal forum page. Having said that, I do avoid posting or reading the POTUS page. We're all passionate people and it always has the potential of getting out of hand.

BonMallari
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
even though I dont wish banishment on anyone, the underlying subplots,inuendos and barbs were distracting from the thread subject...do we need diverse opinions ABSOLUTELY but be contrary just to stir trouble isnt helpful either..IMHO the tone is much different, and people still push the envelope,but that happens on the regular forums too...maybe it was a good wake up call for EVERYONE

MY .02

dback
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Using the 'SWAG' method, I'm thinkin' Training Forum participants would pick choices #3 & #4 in large numbers if they happen to find this poll.

M&K's Retrievers
05-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I voted to leave it alone. You will always have to ask a few to leave on any forum, POTUS or the main one.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it regards,

huntinman
05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I know I am enjoying it more. But I have made a decision to just ignore the poster(s) that rile me up. Don't mind debating, but the BS for the sake of BS just gets old. Free speech doesn't mean we have to listen regards...

Gerry Clinchy
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I voted #1 ... BUT ... I also agree with Bon's post that it is good to have diverse opinions, but ones that are reasonably stated.

There are some pretty bright people in the group who post on this sub-forum, but things get off-track into what appears to be just sparring.

I don't think it's something Chris can do anything about ... it's up to the participants to make interesting discussions.

I enjoy hearing the opinions of other dog-folk & their political leanings.

Eric Johnson
05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I think that you need to develop new (other) guidelines and then follow them with a moderator (maybe two...one of each persuasion) assigned to specifically this section.

Eric

caryalsobrook
05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I voted #!. You can't legislate civility nor can you outlaw stupidity. Thanks Chris for providing these forums all of which I visit.

BonMallari
05-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I think that you need to develop new (other) guidelines and then follow them with a moderator (maybe two...one of each persuasion) assigned to specifically this section.

Eric

mildly disagree, the ladies that moderate now, Lainee and Vicky T are the most impartial moderators we could get, its kind of embarrassing when they have to come to the forum and hit people with a rolled up newspaper (figuratively speaking), having moderators with a political agenda only leads to gridlock , just like our current govt....

I dont know how many if any ever took a speech and debate class in school, but I can guess who did and who probably didnt, but IMHO many on here debate their opinions using emotion instead of using some good old fashioned common sense,logic,and FACTS...NOW DONT GET ME WRONG , THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR POINT OF VIEW

But its not about who gets last word, or who gets last laugh....its about everyone getting a chance to express their opinion on a particular subject

Marvin S
05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Ignore works really well, either using the feature or just not reading some of the stuff posted. I personally appreciate someone who is clever & informed, though that might not get one far in the political arena. But there are many who post regularly on POTUS that are pretty sharp.

Many don't pay attention to the political side, which I believe to be a major error on their part. Government owns more property that we could use for our sport, I see no one effectively working that angle.

huntinman
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Ignore works really well, either using the feature or just not reading some of the stuff posted. I personally appreciate someone who is clever & informed, though that might not get one far in the political arena. But there are many who post regularly on POTUS that are pretty sharp.

Many don't pay attention to the political side, which I believe to be a major error on their part. Government owns more property that we could use for our sport, I see no one effectively working that angle.

Bingo... .

ducknwork
05-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Chris, I don't visit as much as I used to and rarely post, but it is certainly not because of the tone of the forum. Like we discussed over the phone a while back, I don't (normally) get riled up by someone on the internet, so it didn't bother me too much before things happened either. If I had a job that still allowed me all of the free time that I used to have at work, I would still be a 'prolific poster'...hope I wasn't one of the problems mentioned in the poll...:o It seems to be a little more civil around here, but it's also kinda dead sometimes. Not nearly as much being posted as in the past, but maybe it's a case of quality over quantity.

charly_t
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Mostly I appreciate a good argument. Some "fire" is to be commended. We have too many people anymore who don't stand up for anything. Personally I like hearing from both sides but hate the "talking down" to some people that goes on. We have some very smart people posting here. They express themselves well and often say something that I wish I was smart enough to have said. I don't think this forum needs any changing. Debate keeps things alive on here. There are times when I have said things that I should not have said so I can overlook it some in others. I don't like the attacks on other posters.

BrianW
05-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Politics is a little messy, just like flying can be a little turbulent, it's the nature of the beast.
How could a PP really be any different? :confused:

Lesa Cozens Dauphin
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I do think sometimes people get out of control, but for the most part it is okay.

The name calling is what gets old.

lesa c

Uncle Bill
05-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Since I'm an RTFer to the bone, I would be lost if this BB went away. Although I've been flayed by the best of them, I still like this group due to the common bond of our dogs. I just don't understand why some seemingly are so thin skinned, they just can't handle any course discussion without running to the moderator to reprimand some poster. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the burning outhouse.

The last time Chris had to come aboard to handle a dispute was utterly childish. Talk about a few cry babies mucking it up. It should have been handled easily, but those with their noses outa joint had to involve a mod that would take their side...like they needed mommy to handle that big bad bully. HEY! This is a passionate get-together. Don't participate if you can't handle getting your hair ruffled.

As much as I would rather knee Roger in the groin than try to answer what I view as complete inanity, I certainly wouldn't go crying to the POTUS moderator that he should be banned...nor was I complaining to Chris about any of the slams the conservatives were getting lambasted with almost daily. I can handle getting my nose bloodied up without P & M to the 'boss' and taking him away from what he'd rather do than deal with the phoniness of supposed men acting like children because "words were stated they didn't like or agree with". What happened? Were you never taught the childish chant of "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me!?"

There's no question this BB is as polorized as most of the nation has become. SO WHAT??? Deal with it, and stop whining about how you got your feelings hurt. Chris and his Mods have better things to do than hold your hand. Either grow a pair, or hop off the bus.

UB

Franco
05-02-2011, 08:48 PM
When I log onto RTF, first place I go to is POTUS Place.

Thanks for the resource Chris!

I'll bet those that voted Train Wreck are Potus' heaviest readers.

Julie R.
05-03-2011, 12:49 AM
I can't believe people take stuff they read about politics on a DOG board so seriously they have to go sniveling to a moderator! I'm sorry Chris, that you have to spend time soothing ruffled feathers and getting grief from people that have terminal cases of Last-Word-itis but I don't think it's any worse on POTUS than on the main board. I guess that's the nature of success, the more people that use the resource, the greater the likelihood that whiney crybabies who've spent a lifetime blaming others for their shortcomings will do the same online.

FWIW I do think that we as sportsmen and women need to be very aware of local, state and national happenings that affect what we love to do, whether it's restrictions on our Constitutional rights or redistribution of our assets to the trifling. J'm more interested in what someone who shares my interests has to say about current events than the woman in front of me at the prescription counter that thinks Obama is going to pay all her bills.

Roger Perry
05-03-2011, 08:48 AM
When I log onto RTF, first place I go to is POTUS Place.

Thanks for the resource Chris!

I'll bet those that voted Train Wreck are Potus' heaviest readers.

It is easy to see who voted for what just click on the number after the poll question. Some people voted more than once for different poll questions.

Ken Bora
05-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Some people voted more than once for different poll questions.

it's a Multiple Choice Poll :rolleyes:

badbullgator
05-03-2011, 08:51 AM
It is easy to see who voted for what just click on the number after the poll question. Some people voted more than once for different poll questions.

It is also easy to see who runs crying to the mods.....:rolleyes:

Roger Perry
05-03-2011, 08:55 AM

"Be civil or be banned."

"No, I am not here to write detailed "rules" about what's civil and what's not."

Does not seem to be enforced

luvmylabs23139
05-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Isn't that the truth.
It's also interesting that at least one person who voted for a trainwreck and hasn't been posting lately was probably one of the biggest attack for no reason people.

Jason Glavich
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I voted it is fine and other. I do not mind it. I do not agree with all that is said but then again when I do not agree and do not wanna argue I just stop reading and go back to the main forum.

M&K's Retrievers
05-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe a poll should be started to see if anyone cares what RP thinks. :rolleyes:

road kill
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I voted that it has gotten better recently due to the departure of some prolific posters.:D
But it is also good the way it is.;-)

I feel strongly both ways!!

RK

Uncle Bill
05-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I feel strongly both ways!!

RK

Can I quote you on that??? Heh heh heh heh

It's hard to top a cheesehead. when he's right...he's right!!!

UB

road kill
05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Can I quote you on that??? Heh heh heh heh

It's hard to top a cheesehead. when he's right...he's right!!!

UB

That quote is from an old Miller Lite All Stars commercial.

As the big boys (Uecker, Boog Powell et al) are argueing "LESS FILLING!!!"----"TASTES GREAT!!!" Billy Martin pops in and says "I feel strongly both ways!"

Those were some commercials!

RK

JDogger
05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I think Chris should do with PP, whatever Chris wants to do.

I don't really understand the point of this poll being on PP and not the main forum. As a small part of RTF, of course the contributors to PP would like it to continue as is. The poll reflects this.

The vast majority of RTF members do not visit or post on PP. Should they not have a voice in the continuation or demise of a sub-forum? In addition, maybe the poll should not have been public, or whatever, where your vote is identified with your user name. Some members might not choose to not be associated with a particular stance, vis a vis on this issue. We’ve already seen some insinuations, not the least my own below.

I wonder what was his point?

What did Chris wish to learn?

A small number voted that they were pleased with the departure of some prolific posters. Oddly, some that did make that choice are also prolific posters. Go figure.They are willing to comment on any and every post. (My post to Bon to just shut up for a few days. He took it to heart I think.) Or, they start threads, with simple one-liners, looking for substantiation for their political philosophy. (Stan and others) Or, they copy and paste from political blogs and emails entire texts rather than just making the effort to provide a link. (UB first and foremost...and others)

I care little for long winded political debates on PP. No one has ever changed anyone else’s mind here, never. I come here for relief from long days at work, when I do not have time to watch a movie, or I am sick of watching the news cycle over and over again. I enjoy poking sticks at stupidity, yours or mine.

I’ll not re-edit this again.

If PP was mine to do with…I would move it to another website and just provide a link on RTF.

I would move PP to another site….and just walk away….Why moderate? Well, Stan has done that now. Verdad?

…and if you brought politics to RTF…I would ban you.

I did not vote.

JDogger

BonMallari
05-03-2011, 11:04 PM

I don't really understand the point of this poll being on PP and not the main forum. As a small part of RTF, of course the contributors to PP would like it to continue as is. The poll reflects this.

The vast majority of RTF members do not visit or post on PP. Should they not have a voice in the continuation or demise of a sub-forum? In addition, maybe the poll should not have been public, or whatever, where your vote is identified with your user name. Some members might not choose to not be associated with a particular stance, vis a vis on this issue. We’ve already seen some insinuations, not the least my own below.

A small number voted that they were pleased with the departure of some prolific posters. Oddly, some that did make that choice are also prolific posters. Go figure.They are willing to comment on any and every post. Or, they start threads, with simple one-liners, looking for substantiation for their political philosophy. Or, they copy and paste from political blogs and emails entire texts rather than just making the effort to provide a link.

I care little for long winded political debates on PP. No one has ever changed anyone else’s mind here, never. I come here for relief from long days at work, when I do not have time to watch a movie, or I am sick of watching the news cycle over and over again. I enjoy poking sticks at stupidity, yours or mine.

If PP was mine to do with…I would move it to another website and just provide a link on RTF.

www.pp.com (http://www.pp.com/)

I would move PP to another site….and just walk away….Why moderate?

I did not vote.

JDogger

what if I brought the politics of the dog game,would I still get banned :razz:

Everyone love to watch a train wreck,and even with my dog training ideas/tips , I am not egotistical enough to think I can change anyone's heart or mind...but just like in dog training people want one of three things

1. validation that their POV or mindset is the correct path

2. listing a contrarian view just to spark debate

3. or by repeating their view that it enforces it as gospel and will somehow come true

JDogger
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
what if I brought the politics of the dog game,would I still get banned :razz:

Everyone love to watch a train wreck,and even with my dog training ideas/tips , I am not egotistical enough to think I can change anyone's heart or mind...but just like in dog training people want one of three things

1. validation that their POV or mindset is the correct path

2. listing a contrarian view just to spark debate

3. or by repeating their view that it enforces it as gospel and will somehow come true

Bon, I agree with you, but Shut up for a few days. It won't hurt. I promise. JD

BonMallari
05-04-2011, 12:27 AM

1. if that's a dare..no problem...you say when, does that include the RTF

2. if that's a request...no problem either...

3. may I still lurk ;-)

huntinman
05-04-2011, 12:32 AM

You get up on the wrong side of the bed Jdog?

road kill
05-04-2011, 06:25 AM

A small number voted that they were pleased with the departure of some prolific posters. Oddly, some that did make that choice are also prolific posters. Go figure.They are willing to comment on any and every post. Or, they start threads, with simple one-liners, looking for substantiation for their political philosophy. Or, they copy and paste from political blogs and emails entire texts rather than just making the effort to provide a link.

www.pp.com (http://www.pp.com/)

I would move PP to another site….and just walk away….Why moderate?

I did not vote.

JDogger

As you have indicated so often, this place is so beneath you.

Yet you continue to post 1 liners, regulary, with little or no content and often sullen in nature.
What exactly is your purpose?

Mine is entertainment and interaction with people I generally enjoy.

I read almost every post on RTF, especially those relevant to dog training issues.

There is little difference in the levels of vitriol exchanged there than here.
("Over-dogged Hunter" "FF" "English vs American" just to name a few)

Maybe to please you, nothing but dog training tips should be exchanged on this board.

BTW--Got any???:D

RK

road kill
05-04-2011, 06:29 AM
1. if that's a dare..no problem...you say when, does that include the RTF

2. if that's a request...no problem either...

3. may I still lurk ;-)

Bon,
Please don't take the challenge of someone who indeed seems somewhat bitter as any indication of the majorities desires.
This board would suffer without your input.

You are indeed "THE" model poster on this board and an example for us all.

stan b

Ken Bora
05-04-2011, 07:05 AM
.....I care little for long winded political debates on PP. No one has ever changed anyone else’s mind here, never. .....

JDogger

not true,
I have gone from
"Oh, new person, cool"
to
"What a dill hole"
with a couple folk after they type a bit here ;-)

M&K's Retrievers
05-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Bon, I'm thinking JD should take a break if he's grumpy, not you.

Buffalo Springfield regards,

hotel4dogs
05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
other----
Sometimes the problem with subforums of that type is that the bad feelings and personal dislike carries over into the regular sections of the forum, and is very apparent in the responses that some people give to specific other people.
It's why other forums that I'm on have been doing away with the political subsections.
But I think Chris should do whatever he wants to do, it's his game and his rules. Anyone doesn't like it, don't play the game.

ducknwork
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Perhaps one day, some people will wake up and realize 'it's just the internet'. I wish my life was so un-hectic that the most important thing I had going was whether someone behind a keyboard made me mad or not.

Chris Atkinson
05-04-2011, 06:30 PM

I'm surprised you left this up for a while and did not edit it.

In your post prior, do you sincerely have questions for me? Or are you just posting rhetoricals for the whole public POTUS viewership to see?

You know how to reach me directly if you want to communicate with me.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm really surprised by what you wrote to Bon quoted above.

Chris

M&K's Retrievers
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Bon, I'm thinking JD should take a break if he's grumpy, not you.

Buffalo Springfield regards,

Hey, JD, you cruised by here at 11:41. No comment? That's OK. I'll clean up.

Hunchaser
05-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Leave it alone. I like it. Besides I'm tired of people coming up with rules or banning things.

road kill
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
OUCH!!!!!

The back of someones head must be sore.:cool:

RK

achiro
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Chris,
I don't think that POTUS has done anything positive for RTF. In fact, I think that POTUS has actually hurt the RTF community some. There are posters here that carry their negativity toward each other over to the main area. Many will deny that but you can certainly see it happen if you pay attention. There has been a much more negative "feel" to RTF the last several months that may not be all due to POTUS but I think it's part of it.

Over the years many friendships have developed thanks to RTF. Several small sit downs across the country where the only thing the people had in common were dogs and the only way they met was RTF. To me that is a great part of the community. So the question is, does POTUS carry on that part of RTF or does it do just the opposite, creating so much animosity that people will avoid each other at all costs?

Anyway, I assume that you may be having some similar thoughts on the matter which is what brought up the poll in the first place. Ultimately, I guess it just depends on what you want out of your website and whether or not POTUS helps to achieve those goals.

duk4me
05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I think it is fine.

Ever notice the vast majority of POTUS posters are both prolific posters and male?

Potus reminds me of when I was five yrs old. Me and my cousins lined up and had a p$$ing contest. We thought we could clear the hood of Mothers TBird. All we got was spanked.

Still stinging regards,

Uncle Bill
05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Chris,
I don't think that POTUS has done anything positive for RTF. In fact, I think that POTUS has actually hurt the RTF community some. There are posters here that carry their negativity toward each other over to the main area.

Is there some 'specific post or thread' you can reference on this topic, Russ?

I admit I don't post as often on the 'main' pages anymore. There seem to be, when I peruse the main forum, lots of newbies getting the necessary info without my input.

At the same time, should I proffer some advice, I doubt I was being 'negative' or antagonistic, anymore than those that act offended when a newbie asks for the same input without checking out that it's been provided beacoups times previously. That's been happening for as long as I've been a member of RTF, and certainly wasn't begun or transferred from the POTUS BB.

UB

Franco
05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Chris,
I don't think that POTUS has done anything positive for RTF. In fact, I think that POTUS has actually hurt the RTF community some. There are posters here that carry their negativity toward each other over to the main area. Many will deny that but you can certainly see it happen if you pay attention. There has been a much more negative "feel" to RTF the last several months that may not be all due to POTUS but I think it's part of it.

Over the years many friendships have developed thanks to RTF. Several small sit downs across the country where the only thing the people had in common were dogs and the only way they met was RTF. To me that is a great part of the community. So the question is, does POTUS carry on that part of RTF or does it do just the opposite, creating so much animosity that people will avoid each other at all costs?

Anyway, I assume that you may be having some similar thoughts on the matter which is what brought up the poll in the first place. Ultimately, I guess it just depends on what you want out of your website and whether or not POTUS helps to achieve those goals.

This is they way the Democrats view the world.

You know the attitude, they can't take care of themselves so Big Brother needs to take care of them.

Any shortness on the main forum has nothing to do with POTUS Place.

For me, it's like Rush or Stern, no one can force you to listen to them as you have other options. Options are what a free society is all about. And not, we need to take care of them for they know not what they are doing BS.

achiro
05-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I think it is fine.

Ever notice the vast majority of POTUS posters are both prolific posters and male?

Potus reminds me of when I was five yrs old. Me and my cousins lined up and had a p$$ing contest. We thought we could clear the hood of Mothers TBird. All we got was spanked.

Still stinging regards,
and to my point, is having an area available for pissing contests helpful to RTF or not?

achiro
05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Is there some 'specific post or thread' you can reference on this topic, Russ?

I admit I don't post as often on the 'main' pages anymore. There seem to be, when I peruse the main forum, lots of newbies getting the necessary info without my input.

At the same time, should I proffer some advice, I doubt I was being 'negative' or antagonistic, anymore than those that act offended when a newbie asks for the same input without checking out that it's been provided beacoups times previously. That's been happening for as long as I've been a member of RTF, and certainly wasn't begun or transferred from the POTUS BB.

UB
It's more subtle than that UB. You know me well enough to know that I've been involved in my fair share of debates on RTF so that's not even what I mean. It's not even a specific person or post as much as just a general attitude I suppose.

achiro
05-05-2011, 05:21 PM
This is they way the Democrats view the world.

You know the attitude, they can't take care of themselves so Big Brother needs to take care of them.

Any shortness on the main forum has nothing to do with POTUS Place.

For me, it's like Rush or Stern, no one can force you to listen to them as you have other options. Options are what a free society is all about. And not, we need to take care of them for they know not what they are doing BS.
and here we go. It took three whole posts for someone to try and insult me for my opinion and to make my entire point.
1. I am in no way a dem, not on any single subject. I am as conservative as anyone you'll ever meet. I'd venture to say that you are more liberal on several subjects than I will ever be Franco.
2. Don't try and deny that you meant your post as an insult because it is plain to see that's how it was intended.

Franco
05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
and here we go. It took three whole posts for someone to try and insult me for my opinion and to make my entire point.
1. I am in no way a dem, not on any single subject. I am as conservative as anyone you'll ever meet. I'd venture to say that you are more liberal on several subjects than I will ever be Franco.
2. Don't try and deny that you meant your post as an insult because it is plain to see that's how it was intended.

Again, your original comment is an attitude I would expect from a Democrat. That's because that is how Democrats operate as I pointed out in my post.

You may be a Hannity/Limbaugh Conservative which is very different from a Goldwater Conservative. I much prefer Goldwater!

Yes, I called your opinion BS. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

You made the post and I countered it. That's what happens on opinion boards.

achiro
05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Again, your original comment is an attitude I would expect from a Democrat. That's because that is how Democrats operate as I pointed out in my post.

You may be a Hannity/Limbaugh Conservative which is very different from a Goldwater Conservative. I much prefer Goldwater!

Yes, I called your opinion BS. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

You made the post and I countered it. That's what happens on opinion boards.
:rolleyes:

Hew
05-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I won't insult you for your opinion, but I would like to note the delicious irony of your original post in this thread. C'mon, you gotta admit that tips on improving RTF content/format and wanting everything to be less argumentative coming from one of the main players in an RTF knock-off/competitor that was begun putatively because RTF wasn't contentious enough is pretty funny, no?

achiro
05-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I won't insult you for your opinion, but I would like to note the delicious irony of your original post in this thread. C'mon, you gotta admit that tips on improving RTF content/format and wanting everything to be less argumentative coming from one of the main players in an RTF knock-off/competitor that was begun putatively because RTF wasn't contentious enough is pretty funny, no?
If that was why we started the other forum it would be but it isn't so it's not. ;-)

lennie
05-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I voted for number one, I like to read, I participate rarely, if it gets too much I go back to the main forum. But sometimes it is entertaining to watch the train wreck!

That aside, I do learn things here sometimes.

Earlene