PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Claims Highest In 8 Months

gman0046
05-05-2011, 09:25 AM
In the week ending April 30 unemployment claims rose by 43,000 to 474,000 which is the highest level in 8 months. Obongolo continues to be helpless in stemming the loss of American jobs. Hows the $4.00 a gallon gas working for you? I doubt the killing of UBL will be enough to carry the Kenyan Clown the next year and a half as everyone knows he had nothing to do with it. The biggest issue facing Americans is the economy which continues its downward slide the longer the Clown remains in office.

road kill
05-05-2011, 09:43 AM
In the week ending April 30 unemployment claims rose by 43,000 to 474,000 which is the highest level in 8 months. Obongolo continues to be helpless in stemming the loss of American jobs. Hows the $4.00 a gallon gas working for you? I doubt the killing of UBL will be enough to carry the Kenyan Clown the next year and a half as everyone knows he had nothing to do with it. The biggest issue facing Americans is the economy which continues its downward slide the longer the Clown remains in office.
Also gas prices at record high prices!!!:(

But Obama got Bin Laden, he will be a ground zero today "spiking the football!!":D

"Let them eat cake!!":cool:

RK

road kill
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
UPDATE 1-Biden sees up to 200,000 new U.S. jobs next month

WASHINGTON, April 23 (Reuters) - Vice President Joe Biden predicted on Friday the U.S. economy would create 100,000 to 200,000 jobs next month, with a rise to 250,000 to 500,000 jobs per month soon afterward, according to a press pool report.

"We caught a lot of bad breaks on the way down. We're going to catch a few good breaks because of good planning on the way up," Biden told a political fundraiser in Pittsburgh, the pool report said, as he hailed the Obama administration's recovery efforts.

President Barack Obama has insisted that boosting jobs is his top domestic priority, mindful that persistently high unemployment could mean heavy losses for his Democrats in November's congressional elections.

U.S. employers created 162,000 jobs in March, the fastest rate in three years and widely seen as another sign the recovery from deep recession was moving onto solid footing.

But the unemployment rate held steady at 9.7 percent, the Labor Department said.

"All in all, we're going to be creating somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 jobs next month, I predict," Biden was quoted as saying, while acknowledging he "got in trouble" for a job growth prediction in March.

"Even some in the White House said 'Hey, don't get ahead of yourself.' Well I'm here to tell you some time in the next couple of months we're going to be creating between 250,000 jobs a month and 500,000 jobs a month."

See, we cool............:cool:

RK

Roger Perry
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
The Republican Governors keep cutting school budgets, taking away chunks of income by increasing the ammount public employees have to pay for health insurance and increasing what they have to contribute to their retirement and cutting other programs putting more people out of work faster than than jobs can be created. No wonder unemployment is still high. :rolleyes:

BHB
05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
It's not the government's responsibility to "create jobs". It's the government's responsibility to keep regulation to a minimum and keep taxes to a minimum so that the private sector can create jobs! If the jobs he's talking about are govt jobs then forget it! There's no jobs because small business owners see no hope right now. Bidden is full of bullfeathers. He has "foot in mouth" disease!

BHB

Roger Perry
05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

WASHINGTON (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=WASHINGTON) — The U.S. economy added a stronger-than-expected 244,000 jobs in April, the Labor Department said Friday, as employers continued the solid pace of job creation seen in the prior two months.
The number of jobs created last month was well above the 185,000 new jobs that analysts had predicted, the government reported. Private employers added 268,000 jobs — the most since February 2006.
April marked the third straight month in which more than 200,000 jobs were created, the best three month hiring spree in five years. Job gains in March and February were even stronger than first reported.

The data suggest businesses are confident in the economy despite weak growth earlier this year. Payrolls growth increased sharply in February and March, marking the fastest two-month pace of job creation since before the recession began and heralding a decisive shift in the labor market.
“The trend now is definitely up,” former Federal Reserve governor Larry Meyer told CNBC Friday. “The economy is regaining momentum and we are on the path for above-trend growth. This [number] is much stronger than expected.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42928024/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/

Price of Oil

http://www.quoteoil.com/drum.JPG
$97.72 per barrel

Oil is back under $100 a barrel so gasoline prices will also drop ---------What do you think gboy????????????????

charly_t
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
It's not the government's responsibility to "create jobs". It's the government's responsibility to keep regulation to a minimum and keep taxes to a minimum so that the private sector can create jobs! If the jobs he's talking about are govt jobs then forget it! There's no jobs because small business owners see no hope right now. Bidden is full of bullfeathers. He has "foot in mouth" disease!

BHB

You got that right ! Out of state animal rights groups have lobbied in Oklahoma against kennels. They have just passed a bunch of regulations that will shut down most kennels in OK. These people who lose their livelyhood are going to be in trouble. The out of state people were provided food and drinks in a a big room at the capital I hear. Our Oklahoma breeders were mostly ignored when they went to the capital. Some of these kennels were family run so it will be more than one person who loses income. This will also hurt some stores when the kennel owners no longer buy dog food from them. Since most of you know about dogs you know that it was hard work taking care of adults and puppies 24 hours a day. The outside interests portrayed us as lazy hillbillies and they had the money to put ads everywhere plus many people calling even from out of state. They never showed pictures of good kennels just some places that should be shut down. Our elected people had a duty to hear us but only a few looked into this. Getting down off of my soap box now.

luvmylabs23139
05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I notice MSNBC and Roger both failed to note that the unemployment rate rose back up to
9%.

Buzz
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Looks like you guys need to do something about all those liberal tree huggers in the OK legislature! :rolleyes:

charly_t
05-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Looks like you guys need to do something about all those liberal tree huggers in the OK legislature! :rolleyes:

I sure hope we get it done. The biggest problem we have is people who know nothing about agriculture writing laws to regulate it at the momemt. Seems like the whole bunch is working toward making it where we will have to buy all the things we eat plus our dogs from other countries. So far small breeders are not being hit with too much regulation it seems. I see house dogs ( companion dogs only ) as getting very high priced. Those small breeders will never supply enough dogs for the USA pet market. Some people are already bringing in dogs for sale in the USA. Look up "soto" ( ? ).....it is an eye opener.
And of course the dogs brought into the country are not subjct to the same regs that apply to we here in the USA.

code3retrievers
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
The Republican Governors keep cutting school budgets, taking away chunks of income by increasing the ammount public employees have to pay for health insurance and increasing what they have to contribute to their retirement and cutting other programs putting more people out of work faster than than jobs can be created. No wonder unemployment is still high. :rolleyes:

I guess from your statement unemployment is only high in Republican controlled states?
Or maybe the Republicans are the only ones willing to address the long term issues.

Perhaps you should look at the root cause of having to cut programs. Most cities and states will not or can not run deficits. So when revenue drops then programs need to be cut or revenue has to increase. Thus laying off of public employees and the shifting of expenses for their health and retirement.

I am one of those public employees (municipal fire dept)and I for one do not have an issue with paying more for my retirement benefits and health care, after all it's mine. The citizens pay me a decent wage that I have agreed to work for in fact I have not had a raise for the past 4 years and we have even taken a 5% cut to balance our cities budget. The city has cut its budget and increased taxes to make the budget work. Its time for the public employees to stop whining and pay at least as much as the private sector does or face the risk of being outsourced to the private sector or bankrupting their cities and states.

The feds are the next ones that need to reduce benefits and cut jobs!

Roger Perry
05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I guess from your statement unemployment is only high in Republican controlled states?
Or maybe the Republicans are the only ones willing to address the long term issues.

Perhaps you should look at the root cause of having to cut programs. Most cities and states will not or can not run deficits. So when revenue drops then programs need to be cut or revenue has to increase. Thus laying off of public employees and the shifting of expenses for their health and retirement.

I am one of those public employees (municipal fire dept)and I for one do not have an issue with paying more for my retirement benefits and health care, after all it's mine. The citizens pay me a decent wage that I have agreed to work for in fact I have not had a raise for the past 4 years and we have even taken a 5% cut to balance our cities budget. The city has cut its budget and increased taxes to make the budget work. Its time for the public employees to stop whining and pay at least as much as the private sector does or face the risk of being outsourced to the private sector or bankrupting their cities and states.

The feds are the next ones that need to reduce benefits and cut jobs!

You will be ok with it until your local government has to cut jobs and you are on the list. Should you get laid off won't you have to pay all your health insurance out of pocket via Cobra????????? How much will you be contributing to your retirement without a job???????????? God forbid that should not happen to you.

WEST PALM BEACH — The city's firefighter union chief warned city leaders that "more people who are in need of medical help will die" from budget cuts that took effect this week, but Mayor Jeri Muoio - in her fourth day on the job - defended the cuts Tuesday and said that layoffs are likely.
As of Monday, as few as 39 firefighters are on duty each day, down from 45. Six rescue trucks are staffed with two, instead of three, firefighters, because overtime was eliminated this week, except for special events.
Twenty-eight positions already were eliminated over the past two years through attrition, bringing the total staff to 192.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/west-palm-beach-mayor-firefighter-layoffs-likely-1378275.html

caryalsobrook
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
You will be ok with it until your local government has to cut jobs and you are on the list.

WEST PALM BEACH The city's firefighter union chief warned city leaders that "more people who are in need of medical help will die" from budget cuts that took effect this week, but Mayor Jeri Muoio - in her fourth day on the job - defended the cuts Tuesday and said that layoffs are likely.
As of Monday, as few as 39 firefighters are on duty each day, down from 45. Six rescue trucks are staffed with two, instead of three, firefighters, because overtime was eliminated this week, except for special events.
Twenty-eight positions already were eliminated over the past two years through attrition, bringing the total staff to 192.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/west-palm-beach-mayor-firefighter-layoffs-likely-1378275.html

Other than the government WHO HASN'T HAD TO CUT JOBS?? wHO HASN'T HAD TO TAKE PAY CUTS OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? WHO HASN'T SEEN THEIR RETIREMENT SAVINGS GO DOWN OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? Tell me tell me. I don't know of any.

Roger Perry
05-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Rick Scott Florida's new Republican Governor ran a campaign on "lets get to work" What does he plan to do????????????

Scott also wants to eliminate 7 percent of the state's government jobs, which would mean about 6,700 state-worker layoffs. He wants even more cuts the following year.

Sounds more like lets get on unemployment. Like I said the Republican Governors are putting more people out of work faster than others can be employed. Is it a wonder unemployment is still high????????????

Looks like the Republicans want to inflate the unemployment numbers with all the layoffs.

code3retrievers
05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
You will be ok with it until your local government has to cut jobs and you are on the list.

WEST PALM BEACH — The city's firefighter union chief warned city leaders that "more people who are in need of medical help will die" from budget cuts that took effect this week, but Mayor Jeri Muoio - in her fourth day on the job - defended the cuts Tuesday and said that layoffs are likely.

I have no problem cutting over-staffing but when the city came to us and said we need to cut bodies we chose to take a pay cut as well as give up other benefits so that firefighters with less then 3 years on would not be laid off.
Its called sacrifice during tough times and working with the administration to make things work. We take care of our own when we can.
Would I lose my job probably not (able to retire soon) but I voted for a pay cut rather then see the 20 year old fire fighters lose their job.
We also down sized through attrition.

Where do you think this money is going to come from? Maybe Obama could just print more. Until the economy recovers no one's salary or benefits are safe.

I love the typical Union response that more people will die. That is a choice for the public to make. If you want services you will have to pay for it but the public sector has gotten out of whack in most states and needs to be balanced. Why should my job be any different.

If they did away with my job tomorrow I wouldn't whine about it I would go out and reinvent myself and make more money then I do now. I just happen to enjoy the job I do.

starjack
05-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I have no problem cutting over-staffing but when the city came to us and said we need to cut bodies we chose to take a pay cut as well as give up other benefits so that firefighters with less then 3 years on would not be laid off.
Its called sacrifice during tough times and working with the administration to make things work. We take care of our own when we can.
Would I lose my job probably not (able to retire soon) but I voted for a pay cut rather then see the 20 year old fire fighters lose their job.
We also down sized through attrition.

Where do you think this money is going to come from? Maybe Obama could just print more. Until the economy recovers no one's salary or benefits are safe.

I love the typical Union response that more people will die. That is a choice for the public to make. If you want services you will have to pay for it but the public sector has gotten out of whack in most states and needs to be balanced. Why should my job be any different.

If they did away with my job tomorrow I wouldn't whine about it I would go out and reinvent myself and make more money then I do now. I just happen to enjoy the job I do.

RIGHT ON RIGHT ON

code3retrievers
05-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Other than the government WHO HASN'T HAD TO CUT JOBS?? wHO HASN'T HAD TO TAKE PAY CUTS OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? WHO HASN'T SEEN THEIR RETIREMENT SAVINGS GO DOWN OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? Tell me tell me. I don't know of any.

Unfortunately this is not entirely true. I know my salary has been cut, we have positions cut but not through layoffs, our retirement savings were in the same 401k's and 457 plans as everyone else. Our state retirement which I have contributed for the past 23 years at 7.65% while our city contributed 2% or less is now in a shambles and has been changed to correct the problems. (Higher rates 11% and longer terms before retirement)

Our unions here chose a common sense approach to work with the State in correcting the problems with the retirement system, to make it solvent with out burdening the State further.
I would never trust any one else for my retirement including my pension system or the federal government even though we are not eligible for Social Security.
Perhaps perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity.

caryalsobrook
05-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately this is not entirely true. I know my salary has been cut, we have positions cut but not through layoffs, our retirement savings were in the same 401k's and 457 plans as everyone else. Our state retirement which I have contributed for the past 23 years at 7.65% while our city contributed 2% or less is now in a shambles and has been changed to correct the problems. (Higher rates 11% and longer terms before retirement)

Our unions here chose a common sense approach to work with the State in correcting the problems with the retirement system, to make it solvent with out burdening the State further.
I would never trust any one else for my retirement including my pension system or the federal government even though we are not eligible for Social Security.
Perhaps perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity.

I see you are from a border state that has to shoulder a burden that states like mine do not. I does my heaart good to see one who works for the government recognize that the problem is real and wants to take a sane approach to solving it.
Your last sentence "perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity", is exactly what many of us have had to do.

I do have one question though. I did not realize that there were still state employees that were exempt from social security. That appears to allow your state to avoid the 7%+ share of the tax and only contribute less that 2%. Is that true?

code3retrievers
05-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I see you are from a border state that has to shoulder a burden that states like mine do not. I does my heaart good to see one who works for the government recognize that the problem is real and wants to take a sane approach to solving it.
Your last sentence "perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity", is exactly what many of us have had to do.

I do have one question though. I did not realize that there were still state employees that were exempt from social security. That appears to allow your state to avoid the 7%+ share of the tax and only contribute less that 2%. Is that true?

You are basically correct. In AZ public safety was allowed to opt out approximately 30 years ago (just an estimate). The city does not pay into Social Security and neither do I but I will not be entitled to any benefit unless I work at least 40 quarters at another occupation. The cities share fluctuates with our fund values and the number of members retired. For my first 18 years of my career our city paid 0-2% but after the last crash and the short fall of the retirement funds due to the states mismanagement, it has caused the cities portion to rise to extremely high levels well above the rate of Social Security. Our state along with the unions have attempted to cap the taxpayers portion and at the same time raised our contribution to the system to over 11% from 7+%.
Up until a few years ago our pension was funded at over 120% but now is 60% funded. The fund was heavily invested in real estate as well as other investments that went sour.

It is in everyone's best interest to straighten out the mess. I benefit from having a pension for hopefully 30+ years of service and the public gets a cap on their liabilities or the alternative is to have a bankrupt pension system.

I do not know the original intent of the opt out other then most Fire fighters retire around the age of 52-53 and have a 10 year or so life expectancy after retirement (this is a statistic that I had read 20 years ago) so they would never on average reach the Social Security retirement age. Today's firefighters are living longer due to the use of self contained breathing apparatus and healthier life styles but we still die at a much younger age then the average person due to sleep schedules, stress, and the absorption of toxins and carcinogens through our skin during fire fighting operations.

By the way people like Roger have very little understanding of how a lot of local governments work. In our state it is illegal for a city to run a deficit.
There are only 2 choices cut services or raise taxes, ultimately it is the public's decision.