PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GRCA National Specialty

Gerry Clinchy
07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes, there will be BLOOD CLINICS at the National Specialty again this year!

Blood draws will be done by Kaye Fuller at the FIELD TRIAL Welcome Banquet, and at the show site by Mike Lappin.

At the show site, Mike will be open for business the following dates and times:
Tues. Sept. 27 - 1 to 4 PM
Wed. Sept 28 - 10 AM to 4 PM
Thur. Sept 29 - 10 AM to 4 PM
Fri. Sept. 30 - 9 to 11 AM
The GRF booth will be located next to the other health screening clinics.

There are two types of clinics: DNA sample donations & DNA testing.

DNA is donated to the OFA DNA repository (research for any hereditary diseases) and Broad Institute (cancer research). Additional information is available at www.GRF.org (http://www.GRF.org)

Yes, donate to these from your healthy dogs! Both programs request that you update your dog's records as the dog ages.

DO fill out these forms in advance! They require quite a lot of info, and you will be more likely to be thorough if you fill out the forms before you head off to the National. For my own dogs, I found it helpful to pull up the dogs' pedigrees on k9data to fill out the forms relative to ancestry health information.

Donating to these projects is TOTALLY FREE! Golden Retriever Foundation sponsors the drawing of blood & pays the CHIC fee. I believe Golden Retrievers have the most DNA stored with CHIC at this point. In the future, and even now, researchers can draw upon these samples to search for the answers to our hereditary diseases in Goldens.
------------------
DNA testing for prcd-PRA, GR_PRA1, and Ichthyosis. You will fill out the "order form" on the Optigen website, and pay them directly with your credit card (which will be charged when they get the samples). You pay for the testing, but GRF provides the blood draw and the shipping.

You DO pay for this ... but with our clinic discount (20% + 5% for online ordering), you will get an ADDITIONAL 20% discount on each test if you do more than one test! Save a bundle by doing more than one test! You do not have to do all 3 tests ... any two that you feel are most important for your breeding program.

When ordering your test(s) from Optigen, you must use our Clinic Code: GoldNS9251 The code will be "active" for ordering from 9/15 thru 10/1. So you can place your order before you leave for the National (or even after you return home; or at the National if you have a computer & Internet access). You WILL need your microchip or tattoo #s for ordering.

You MUST contact me (G.Clinchy@gmail.com) to put your name on the "Master List" for Optigen testing. This will help Optigen sort out the samples & assure that you receive your full discount. Mike must include a copy of the "Master List" with his shipment to Optigen as well.

Not going to the National? No problem! For Golden Retrievers only ... you may send your samples directly to Optigen (from home) and still get the clinic discounts!!

Tell your friends who have other breeds that they can participate if they are in the area of our National Specialty & get the clinic discounts as well. One year we even had a Chinese Crested turn up at the field trial site!

I will not be going to the National, so I'll be here at the computer to continue answering questions and keeping in contact with the on-site crews to keep everyone updated ... sorta.

Send me your questions, and if I can't answer them, I'll find someone who can. G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Gerry Clinchy
08-01-2011, 10:02 AM
"I want to be the first one to know who the National judges are.

How can I find the up-to-the minute results from today's judging?

Who is hosting the National in 2015?

Where can I air and train my dogs near the field grounds?

I want to have my pick of volunteer opportunities at the next

National.

I need a ticket for the Parade, but forgot to buy one!

I want to know when RV and grooming reservations open for next year's

National? And who do I contact to sign up!"

Does this sound familiar?

Yippee, skippy a new Yahoo Group has been formed just for you!

GRCANationalSpecialty@yahoogroups.com (GRCANationalSpecialty%40yahoogroups.com)

is an ongoing mail, read-only

resource for all things pertaining to the GRCA National Specialty.

It will include information posted by the National Specialty Director

that pertains to all Nationals. It will also be used by each host club

to post updates and information about each National.

Sharon Bolton

GRCA National Specialty Coordinator

all permission granted to cross-post widely

Judy Myers
08-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Gerry, I just tried clicking on the yahoo groups link but there was no way to click on it. So, I sent an email to that email address and hope that will get me signed up.

Judy Myers
08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Gerry, the email that I sent to the address you posted came back as unable to deliver since it is a read-only address. They said to contact the group moderator at GRCANationalSpecialty-owner@yahoogroups.com. So I just sent an email to that address requesting to be included. I hope that works.

Gerry Clinchy
08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I had the same problem! Just got an update from the person posting about this:

The e-mail address listing in the earlier message I forwarded won't
work, because the list is a read-only group. To subscribe try this link
instead.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GRCANationalSpecialty/join (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GRCANationalSpecialty/join)

Gerry Clinchy
08-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Bump ......