PDA

View Full Version : Interesting account of bin Laden raid

Hew
08-01-2011, 08:16 AM
A great read: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_schmidle

BonMallari
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
one heck of an interesting piece...thanks for posting that

Gerry Clinchy
08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
It does seem like Obama had more involvement in the whole adventure than he was given credit for in other reports. I'm not an Obama fan, but I'm glad to hear that.

I also think he acted well in meeting with the soldiers who pulled this off, giving them the credit & honor they deserve for what they did ... and have done before, and will continue to do on dangerous missions like these. For those who are not fond of this POTUS, at least this is one thing he seems to have done right.

I hope the physician who ran that vaccine clinic, and his family, are not suffering right now for the help they gave in helping the mission.

Ahmed must have been one cool cookie for his role in the mission. And the whole team deserves credit for minimizing "collateral damage" as best they could.

Hew
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
It does seem like Obama had more involvement in the whole adventure than he was given credit for in other reports. I'm not an Obama fan, but I'm glad to hear that.
I've given him credit before, mainly for having the stones to opt for the much-riskier insertation when he could have just leveled the compound w/ bunker busters. That said, I also keep in mind that all of these accounts are coming from people inside his inner circle...so it's not like they're going to claim he was a bumbling idiot or stood in the corner in a catatonic state when the first chopper crashed.

Not long ago I finished Bob Woodward's, "Obama's War" about all the inner wrangling over the Afghanistan surge. While I also take Woodward with a grain of salt, I was impressed by Woodward's account of Obama's demeanor and leadership. The dude doesn't lack self-confidence; whether he's going toe-to-toe with political hacks or multi-star generals...he's direct and forceful and decisive. I can respect that. The book's a good read and the hardcopy is on sale at Barnes & Noble in the clearance rack for $2.

duk4me
08-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks, good read.

JDogger
08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
It would seem that some that would be better to keep their mouths shut, have a proclivity for honoring themselves. If this report is accurate, and I don't doubt it for a heartbeat, might it not just compromise such activities in the future?

Other than our desire to 'know', what benefit does it serve?

Does the ability and capicity to conduct, need to be shared? JD

huntinman
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
It would seem that some that would be better to keep their mouths shut, have a proclivity for honoring themselves. If this report is accurate, and I don't doubt it for a heartbeat, might it not just compromise such activities in the future?

Just a little reminder to some of the other cockroaches out there that no matter how long it takes, we can still get you. Even with Libs in charge;-)

road kill
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM

How?

They used a fake name for the dog........

RK

Hew
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
The only significant criticism of the operation that I've seen is that we perhaps should have waited a few days to announce it as our intelligence people sifted through the treasure trove of documents, computers, files, etc. and then gave the special ops guys or drones time to whack some more unsuspecting bad guys.

Aside from that quibble, 9/11 was the most significant/worst thing to happen to the USA in 50 years...I think the American people needed/deserved an accounting of that sonuvabiatch's last moments on earth and how our military brought him to justice.

charly_t
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
That Eagle will get 'em. Make take us a while to hunt the guy down and get things "in place" but it will happen. We are still a Nation of hunters, makes no difference if some are trying to take that "right" away from us.

Gerry Clinchy
08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I would agree with JDogger that they could have done the article going a lighter on the details ... to protect future missions. They could have left out some specifics and not harmed the gist of the story.

Hew, I don't think that they could have waited a few days to release the news. I'd think that as soon as those choppers were lifting off, the Pakistanis were running around screaming. After not including them in the mission, I'm sure they weren't going to be very cooperative about keeping their mouths shut because we asked "pretty please".

Cowtown
08-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Bush built the military and CIA up after Clinton tore them down. Obama could thank him for putting that in place as well as the black ops equipment and forces and BUDGET that pulled it off.

Now I hear talk today about wanting to cut the military budget by $100 billion on top of the $500 billion in cuts to the ten-year defense spending plan the White House is already planning to enact, ensuring that there will be few, if any,major Obama era defense programs left.

I will give him credit for giving the green light on this particular mission as well as the mission where the Seal Team 6 snipers took out the pirate hostage takers on that ship awhile back.

wheelhorse
08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow! That was incredible. There is so much they do that we will never, ever know about. Those are some amazing men. Dog too!

Mike W.
08-06-2011, 12:56 PM
As James talked about the raid, he mentioned Cairo’s role. “There was a dog?” Obama interrupted. James nodded and said that Cairo was in an adjoining room, muzzled, at the request of the Secret Service.

“I want to meet that dog,” Obama said.

“If you want to meet the dog, Mr. President, I advise you to bring treats,” James joked. Obama went over to pet Cairo, but the dog’s muzzle was left on.

I wonder if they kept the muzzle on the dog because it was trained to attack Muslims?