PDA

View Full Version : Volt a Dud? Hey Blackstone whats's the deal?

huntinman
08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Published on The Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chevy Volt: Still Not Selling

Jonathan V. Last

August 3, 2011 8:08 AM

The July sales numbers are out and the Chevy Volt continues to electrify (get it?) the country. GM sold … 125 Volts last month!

Way back in March I made fun of the Volt for selling 281 units in February. Turns out, February was a good month. But wait, there’s more! GM says they’re going to increase production to 5,000 Volts per month in order to keep up with demand. You see, they claim that the reason the Volt isn’t selling is that they can’t keep enough cars on the lot. A GM spokeswoman recently claimed that they are “virtually sold out.” Which is virtually true. Mark Modica called around his local Chevy dealers and found plenty of Volts waiting for an environmentally conscious driver to bring them home.

All told, GM has sold close to 2,700 Volts. (Funny aside: There’s a Volt in my neighborhood and a Volt that parks in my garage at work. So I see almost 0.1 percent of all the Volts in America on a daily basis.) But hey, the EV future is just around the corner.

Copyright 2010 Weekly Standard LLC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source URL: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/chevy-volt-still-not-selling_581956.html

Can't find any government agencies to bye them??:rolleyes:

Buzz
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
From the Detroit Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110801/BLOG40/110801051/GM-says-Chevy-Volt-virtually-sold-out-

General Motors will only report about 100 Chevrolet Volt sales when July’s U.S. auto sales come out Tuesday, but the extended-range electric car is “virtually sold out” of the outgoing 2011 model year, spokeswoman Michelle Bunker said today.

Of the 4,488 2011 Volts GM has built at Detroit-Hamtramck, about 100 remain unclaimed, she said. The rest are reserved for dealer demos of the Volt’s battery and backup generator or internal GM uses such as engineering tests or marketing.

Volt sales have averaged about 440 a month since the car’s launch in December. But GM shut the Volt’s Detroit-Hamtramck plant in June for about a month for upgrades before the 2012 model year arrived. Since the average Volt has spent about 13 days at a dealership before heading home with a customer, weeks without Volt production meant weeks of slow sales, Bunker said.

Through June, GM had sold 3,071 Volts, falling behind the 3,894 U.S. sales of the pure-electric Nissan Leaf, which runs only on battery power. GM is increasing production of the Volt to build a total of 16,000 this year and 60,000 next year, with some badged as the European Opel Ampera. CEO Dan Akerson has said GM may eventually build more than 100,0000 a year.

Nissan expects to deliver about 10,000 Leafs to Americans this year, the same as the number of Volts that General Motors plans to sell to customers in this country. Nissan has said its Smyrna, Tenn., plant will be able to build 150,000 Leafs annually after production of the electric car starts there next year

Electrics and hybrids are coming whether conservatives like it or not.

Hew
08-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah, thank goodness we have liberals to tell us what we need. I mean without you guys we wouldn't have 50% of the country on the dole whether us conservatives like it or not. Without liberals we wouldn't have 50% of the country not paying a dime in federal income tax whether us conservatives like it or not. Without liberals we wouldn't have subjected the most advanced health system care in the world to a government takeover whether us conservatives like it or not. Without liberals we couldn't have utterly destroyed the African-American family in just 3 generations whether us conservatives like or not. Without liberals we wouldn't be able to have 1.2 million aborted babies per year whether us conservatives like it or not. And close to home for you, without liberals we couldn't have turned Detroit into a third-world cesspool of poverty and blight. Thank goodness we have liberals to set things right....whether conservatives like it or not. ;-)

caryalsobrook
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM

http://www.freep.com/article/20110801/BLOG40/110801051/GM-says-Chevy-Volt-virtually-sold-out-

If this president has his way you are probably right. Along with food stamps, medicaid, free cell phones, ect, he will probably give them a Volt too. I'm sure you would go along with that too.;)

huntinman
08-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Sort of like the YUGO... they came too... but didn't stay long:rolleyes:

An American that wants to drive a truck is not going to buy an electric piece of crap.

road kill
08-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Why??

RK

Franco
08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
The market will determine what automakers produce. As the dollar continues to devalue forcing the price of gas upwards, we will be forced to drive what is affordable. Neither party seems concerned with the value of the dollar, just look at meaningless cuts in the deficit debate.

I just turned 79,000 miles in my F150 and will not get a new vehicle until I can buy one that runs on CNG. Living in a state that has abundant natural gas reserves I am at a loss as to why we don't already have access to CNG.

dback
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I think every lib should own one (and nothing else).......just out of curiosity Buzz.......what do you drive?

Bemoaning the scarcity of Obama stickers to run off the road regards.......

road kill
08-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I work on the "East Side" of Milwaukee.
A bastian of liberal (hippie) ideology!

I meet this guy who drives a Prius.
I ask him why?
He answers" it's the responsible thing to do, because we are all in this together (man)!":rolleyes:

I asked him "is there a test you have to FAIL to get one of those??"

He retorts...."oh, no, anyone can get one!!":cool:

Nuff said......

RK

Buzz
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I think every lib should own one (and nothing else).......just out of curiosity Buzz.......what do you drive?

Bemoaning the scarcity of Obama stickers to run off the road regards.......

Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi.

FOM
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I work on the "East Side" of Milwaukee.
A bastian of liberal (hippie) ideology!

I meet this guy who drives a Prius.
I ask him why?
He answers" it's the responsible thing to do, because we are all in this together (man)!":rolleyes:

I asked him "is there a test you have to FAIL to get one of those??"

He retorts...."oh, no, anyone can get one!!":cool:

Nuff said......

RK

I consider myself very much a Conservative, but I will say after driving a Prius while on business travel, I was surprised at how nice of a ride it was. We are planning on getting one for driving to/from work and around town just because it's all the car we need. And in no way will I be giving up my big trucks, but during the week why not save a little on gas!

So don't know it completely, nothing wrong with only spending $20 for a tank of gas for 2 weeks worth of driving! I'm all about saving a little bit of $$$, too.

FOM

road kill
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I consider myself very much a Conservative, but I will say after driving a Prius while on business travel, I was surprised at how nice of a ride it was. We are planning on getting one for driving to/from work and around town just because it's all the car we need. And in no way will I be giving up my big trucks, but during the week why not save a little on gas!

So don't know it completely, nothing wrong with only spending $20 for a tank of gas for 2 weeks worth of driving! I'm all about saving a little bit of $$$, too.

FOM

I would say, conservatively speaking, well over half the Prius' I see around here have a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on them.
(or some variation)

RK

Matt McKenzie
08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, thank goodness we have liberals to tell us what we need. I mean without you guys we wouldn't have 50% of the country on the dole whether us conservatives like it or not. Without liberals we wouldn't have 50% of the country not paying a dime in federal income tax whether us conservatives like it or not. Without liberals we wouldn't have subjected the most advanced health system care in the world to a government takeover whether us conservatives like it or not. Without liberals we couldn't have utterly destroyed the African-American family in just 3 generations whether us conservatives like or not. Without liberals we wouldn't be able to have 1.2 million aborted babies per year whether us conservatives like it or not. And close to home for you, without liberals we couldn't have turned Detroit into a third-world cesspool of poverty and blight. Thank goodness we have liberals to set things right....whether conservatives like it or not. ;-)

Pow! Welcome back, John.

Uncle Bill
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Your entire post is worth repeating many times, John. But what is especially hilarious to me is what Buzz left behind when he moved to Sodak.

Let’s review what happened in Michigan in 2007 after the state’s budget problem was “solved” with tax increases:
Under pressure from the state’s balanced-budget requirement — another crucial difference between Michigan then and Washington today — and after a brief government shutdown on October 1, Senate Republicans warily agreed to a deal involving a mix of tax hikes and benefits reform. They agreed to hike income taxes by 12 percent and impose a new set of service taxes on select business activity, raising $1.5 billion. In return, Republicans got fragile promises of spending reform.

“This budget agreement is the right solution for Michigan,” crowed a victorious Granholm. “We prevented massive cuts to public education, health care, and public safety while also making extensive government reforms and passing new revenue. With the state back on solid financial footing, we can turn our focus to the critical task of jumpstarting our economy and creating new jobs.”

Barack Obama couldn’t have said it better. Did it solve the problem?
“Within literally hours of passing the tax hike,” recounts Mackinac Center legislative analyst Jack McHugh, “the legislature passed bills spending the entire $1.4 billion.” By the time Granholm handed over the wheel to Republican Rick Snyder three years later, the deficit had ballooned to $2 billion amidst a stalled economy.

:confused::confused::confused:

I certainly hope Buzz doesn't get into Sodak politics, and try to turn us into another Michigan.:rolleyes:

UB

Blackstone
08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Huntinman,

Why did you feel the need to call me out personally on this? Was this just an attempt to get under my skin. You'll have to try harder than that. I never advocated going out and purchasing a Volt. Like I said several times, buy what you want. Buy what works for you. Only the market will dictate whether or not the Volt is a success.

But, before you work yourself into a lather celebrating the failure of the Volt, remember Volt was not produced for a full model year, and it was only sold in 7 states. That’s roughly 456 vehicles per state, which would equate to about 22,800 annual sales if it had sold the same in all 50 states. Just something to think about. Like I said, sales will ultimately be determined by market demand.

huntinman
08-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Huntinman,

Why did you feel the need to call me out personally on this? Was this just an attempt to get under my skin. You'll have to try harder than that. I never advocated going out and purchasing a Volt. Like I said several times, buy what you want. Buy what works for you. Only the market will dictate whether or not the Volt is a success.

But, before you work yourself into a lather celebrating the failure of the Volt, remember Volt was not produced for a full model year, and it was only sold in 7 states. That’s roughly 456 vehicles per state, which would equate to about 22,800 annual sales if it had sold the same in all 50 states. Just something to think about. Like I said, sales will ultimately be determined by market demand.

Hey Blackstone! welcome back! Just razzing you a little... I think Volt was up to 125 for July... Anyway, I called you out because you know something about them and always seem to defend them... Nothing personal...

I know someone who works on a large military installation near here. They were forced to buy a certain number of electric cars for their fleet by the Pentagon (Obama). From what I have been told the cars have been sitting idle for about a year because none of the soldiers will drive them.

Franco
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Huntinman,

Blackstone, might want to do what I do and place him on Ignore.

He contributes zero in content and just likes to take cheap shots! Most people that can't articulate thier position can only use name-calling/labling.

Blackstone
08-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Hey Blackstone! welcome back! Just razzing you a little... I think Volt was up to 125 for July... Anyway, I called you out because you know something about them and always seem to defend them... Nothing personal...

I know someone who woks on a large military installation near here. They were forced to buy a certain number of electric cars for their fleet by the Pentagon (Obama). From what I have been told the cars have been sitting idle for about a year because none of the soldiers will drive them.

I don’t have to defend Volt, and I don’t speak on behalf of GM. All I did was address the inaccurate comments that were being made about it. The Volt will have a limited market, just like hybrid, because it doesn’t fit everyone’s needs, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be a failure.

But, Buzz is right, electric vehicles are coming. All of the major auto manufacturers have invested a lot of money developing them. Volt just happened to be the first to market. Electric vehicles are the next major stop on the way to hydrogen powered vehicles.

starjack
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
One ??? who is going to be charged for the electricty to charge up these cars. With the power inferstucture being so bad.

starjack
08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
BTW conserve energy dont use so much fuel ( FROM OUR FEARLESS LEADER PUT AIR IN YOUR TIRES):rolleyes: So i use less and the power company are not makeing as much so jack up my rates. So lets build a electric car that way we will get everybody. WHAT A JOKE:mad:

Blackstone
08-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Franco,

I know you have been waiting for a CNG pickup. That still might be a ways off. There is still a problem with CNG availability. I looked at getting a dedicate CNG van from MI to Kansas City. If I can get it to St. Louis, I can fill up there, and make it to KC. However, with a 300 mile range, it will be cutting it too close for comfort trying to get to St. Louis. The other problem is many of the stations are not readily open to the public. With some of them, you have to call ahead to make a reservation to get fuel. Unless companies are willing to make a significant investment in infrastructure, CNG is going to have a tough time gaining popularity. Traveling across country right now requires a lot of advanced planning, and fuel may not be available in a lot of places. In addition, currently the upfit for a CNG system is about $11k - $14k (at least on cargo vans). Now that the Fed tax credit has expired, that’s a hard pill to swallow. One more obstacle will be the number of tanks needed, and tank placement. If you want a 300 mile range with CNG, it’s probably going to take 4 tanks, and at least one will probably have to be mounted in the bed of the truck, taking up usable space.

The only viable option would be a bi-fuel system that would allow you to run on CNG and gasoline. There are some systems out there, but they are pretty expensive too. Then, there are the warranty issues caused by having a 3rd party install an aftermarket system. It’s never easy is it?

Blackstone
08-17-2011, 07:13 PM
One ??? who is going to be charged for the electricty to charge up these cars. With the power inferstucture being so bad.

There’s plenty of electricity currently being produced to provide charges for electric cars. Most major electric providers are already out in front of this thing. Besides, it doesn’t take much juice to recharge a battery. It really shouldn’t tax the current infrastructure unless an awful lot of people buy one. Those that are recharging batteries will be paying for it. There are even plans for charging stations on the street and in parking lots that work like parking meters. The electric utilities will make money on all those. It really shouldn’t affect you if you don’t own an electric car.

caryalsobrook
08-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I don’t have to defend Volt, and I don’t speak on behalf of GM. All I did was address the inaccurate comments that were being made about it. The Volt will have a limited market, just like hybrid, because it doesn’t fit everyone’s needs, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be a failure.

But, Buzz is right, electric vehicles are coming. All of the major auto manufacturers have invested a lot of money developing them. Volt just happened to be the first to market. Electric vehicles are the next major stop on the way to hydrogen powered vehicles.

If they are such a success then why do we taxpayers have to pay $7,000.00 to GM for every one they sell?

Franco
08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Franco,

I know you have been waiting for a CNG pickup. That still might be a ways off. There is still a problem with CNG availability. I looked at getting a dedicate CNG van from MI to Kansas City. If I can get it to St. Louis, I can fill up there, and make it to KC. However, with a 300 mile range, it will be cutting it too close for comfort trying to get to St. Louis. The other problem is many of the stations are not readily open to the public. With some of them, you have to call ahead to make a reservation to get fuel. Unless companies are willing to make a significant investment in infrastructure, CNG is going to have a tough time gaining popularity. Traveling across country right now requires a lot of advanced planning, and fuel may not be available in a lot of places. In addition, currently the upfit for a CNG system is about $11k - $14k (at least on cargo vans). Now that the Fed tax credit has expired, that’s a hard pill to swallow. One more obstacle will be the number of tanks needed, and tank placement. If you want a 300 mile range with CNG, it’s probably going to take 4 tanks, and at least one will probably have to be mounted in the bed of the truck, taking up usable space.

The only viable option would be a bi-fuel system that would allow you to run on CNG and gasoline. There are some systems out there, but they are pretty expensive too. Then, there are the warranty issues caused by having a 3rd party install an aftermarket system. It’s never easy is it?

Nothing worthwhile ever is.

We have a CNG filling station going up at the corner of I-10 and I-49. With the abundence of natural gas, had we had a real energy policy over the last 20 years there would be CNG stations more readily avialble.

I guess I'll just hold onto my 07 F150 as much as I would like to buy a new ride. I just can't motivate myself into buying another V-8 nor am I interested in diesel or a V6 or inline 4.

My truck is for weekends so I can get anywhere I basically want to with only a 300 mile range with CNG. My weekday vehicle is a passenger car that gets almost 30 mpg's city and highway.

Blackstone
08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
If they are such a success then why do we taxpayers have to pay $7,000.00 to GM for every one they sell?

If you actually read what I posted you would see I said the market will determine whether or not the Volt is a success. I never said it was, or was not, a success. The 2012 model year will be the first full year of production, and first year it will be sold in all 50 states. It's pretty hard to judge success or failure before the car is available for sale nation wide.

As far as tax payers paying GM for every Volt they sell, I don't know anything about that, but it hardly sounds plausible. What is your source for that? If you’re talking about the Fed Income Tax Credit, it is a tax credit, not a payment. Tax credits for alternative fuel vehicles have been around since 2005. The tax credit is for all electric vehicles, not just Volt. It’s the same for the Ford Transit Connect EV, Nissan Leaf, Smart Car EV & Tesla Roadster. Prior to that, there were tax credits on hybrids, CNG & LPG vehicles.