PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Speech conflicts with Republican Debate

Gerry Clinchy
08-31-2011, 08:03 PM
So, it's just coincidental that O wants to address a joint session of Congress on the same day, same time as the Republican candidate debates that have been scheduled for months?

Carney expects people to believe it's just coincidence?

Then he calls the Speaker "childish".

This has got to be a real faux pas ... could someone in the scheduling dept have just screwed up, and they're trying to cover for it? Or was someone in the campaign office stupid enough to think this would be a wonderful stroke of genius? Not exactly the way to gain bipartisan support.

M&K's Retrievers
08-31-2011, 08:51 PM
No, Obama is the sleaziest POTUS in history who will stoop to anything to save his miserable ass. I even think his wife is fed up with him. I know I am.

luvmylabs23139
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Well it has been moved to Thursday. Now he has a bigger problem. It's opening night for the NFL. I better not miss kickoff because his royal butt is still on the TV!
Football has priority over his nonsense!

Franco
08-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Well it has been moved to Thursday. Now he has a bigger problem. It's opening night for the NFL. I better not miss kickoff because his royal butt is still on the TV!

To conflict with the opening game of the NFL season isn't very smart. Every red-blooded American will be watching the game;-)

Good move on Boehner's part!

Has a point spread come out yet?

JDogger
08-31-2011, 09:43 PM

I posted a reply then deleted it. Wanna keep everyone happy. OK?

JD

BonMallari
09-01-2011, 02:24 AM

if the POTUS was smart :rolleyes: they would move the speech to halftime because its the only way it will be seen:-P:-P

Hew
09-01-2011, 02:47 AM
I posted a reply then deleted it. Wanna keep everyone happy. OK?

JD
A kinder, gentler, more Ricardo Montalban JDog? Smiles, everyone. Smiles.

Politically, it hasn't been a good week for the Left/Dems, but a banner week for fairness...first the Unions in Wisconsin have their exclusionist parade rebuffed and now Obama gets rebuffed from throwing his weight around and bullying the GOP.

road kill
09-01-2011, 05:33 AM
"The Planes....The Planes!!!"

This guy is gonna fix the jobs and economy problems, he can't even pick a time to give a speech.......you know....."talk the talk??

What he is best at........:rolleyes:

It's one thing to go against his political rivals, since he is in campaign mode, but to get slapped down and make an even worse choice speaks volums!!

RK

JDogger
09-01-2011, 05:39 AM
A kinder, gentler, more Ricardo Montalban JDog? Smiles, everyone. Smiles.

Politically, it hasn't been a good week for the Left/Dems, but a banner week for fairness...first the Unions in Wisconsin have their exclusionist parade rebuffed and now Obama gets rebuffed from throwing his weight around and bullying the GOP.

Well said Tattoo, well said. Now ring the bell, it's your fantasy. ;)

TN_LAB
09-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Rumor has it that Peggy Joseph wrote the upcoming speech.:p You guys remember her? She's the one that said (in a round about way) that Obama was going to help her with gas and her mortgage.

http://youtu.be/P36x8rTb3jI

road kill
09-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Rumor has it that Peggy Joseph wrote the upcoming speech.:p You guys remember her? She's the one that said (in a round about way) that Obama was going to help her with gas and her mortgage.

http://youtu.be/P36x8rTb3jI

The "STASH" lady??:cool:

RK

Buzz
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
So, it's just coincidental that O wants to address a joint session of Congress on the same day, same time as the Republican candidate debates that have been scheduled for months?

Carney expects people to believe it's just coincidence?

Then he calls the Speaker "childish".

This has got to be a real faux pas ... could someone in the scheduling dept have just screwed up, and they're trying to cover for it? Or was someone in the campaign office stupid enough to think this would be a wonderful stroke of genius? Not exactly the way to gain bipartisan support.

So how big do you think the audience will be for the debate, with or without a speech to a joint session? My guess is that those who would watch the debate wouldn't waste time listening to Obama, and those interested in listening to Obama wouldn't waste their time listening to the Rep candidates.

But whatever, it's a huge controversy...

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2011, 08:00 AM
So how big do you think the audience will be for the debate, with or without a speech to a joint session? My guess is that those who would watch the debate wouldn't waste time listening to Obama, and those interested in listening to Obama wouldn't waste their time listening to the Rep candidates.

Not any more....

huntinman
09-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Well... first we will have to be able to find MSNBC on our TV's... The least watched network in history... actully didn't know they were still on the air...:rolleyes:

BonMallari
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM

spot on with that comment...besides it will be replayed, analyzed,critiqued by every blogger and political expert and thats just here on POTUS/and Dawgs

road kill
09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/sbx1/obama-bow.jpg

RK:p

Uncle Bill
09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Anyone wanting to waste their time listening to another 'teleprompter' election speech, and thinking it will be something new about how this oligarchy will provide more jobs, fall into the "fools" category...again.

My bet is with this columnist's view on what will be burped up again.

UB

Obama’s New Jobs Policies Sound Just Like His Old Jobs Policies

Rob Port (http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/author/admin/) • August 30, 2011

So what is the President’s brilliant new plan to create jobs? Stimulus spending and tax credits for hiring. Both of which are policies he already implemented to pretty much zero impact.

Aug. 30 (Bloomberg) (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-08-30/obama-may-back-hiring-credit-construction-spending-to-spur-jobs.html) — The ideas President Barack Obama is considering for his new jobs agenda could put hundreds of thousands of people back to work, and still have a limited impact in an economy that remains 6.8 million jobs behind its pre-recession peak, economists said.

Among the options Obama is considering is a version of a tax credit for new hires that could spur the creation of 900,000 additional jobs at a cost of $30 billion, according to an estimate by Michael Greenstone, an economics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and former chief economist for Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers.
“It allows the private sector to lead the economy toward the areas where the payoffs are greatest,” Greenstone said.
Stimulus spending doesn’t work. The government cannot take from one sector of the economy and give to another and expect prosperity to ensue. That’s like taking water out of one end of the pool and pouring it in the other end and expecting the level to rise.

And tax credits for hiring don’t work either. Because businesses don’t hire to get a tax credit. They hire because they need an employee. Thinking that businesses would hire for no other reason to get a tax credit speaks to a fundamental ignorance as to how business actually works.

If we want to spark hiring, we need to cut taxes and roll back regulation and eliminate the budget deficits so that the economy can grow again and businesses have a reason to hire.

Daniel J Simoens
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
RK:p

http://images.quickblogcast.com/5/6/7/4/1/122924-114765/obama_bow.jpg

Gerry Clinchy
09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
After all this ruckus, I think people will expect that there will actually be something newsworthy in this speech ... not just another campaign speech Remains to be seen.

Not sure why the speech had to be in a joint session of Congress. He could have just made a televised speech (as in the past) & by-passed the Congressional "invitation".

I'm still thinking that it was a scheduling blunder by staff ... POTUS looks worse having to back down & schedule in a less appealing time slot.

road kill
09-01-2011, 02:06 PM
After all this ruckus, I think people will expect that there will actually be something newsworthy in this speech ... not just another campaign speech Remains to be seen.

Not sure why the speech had to be in a joint session of Congress. He could have just made a televised speech (as in the past) & by-passed the Congressional "invitation".

I'm still thinking that it was a scheduling blunder by staff ... POTUS looks worse having to back down & schedule in a less appealing time slot.

He is going to call out congress, blame them and insult them.

He has been e-mailing, texting and tweeting this message to his "PEEPS!!"
__________________________________________________ ___________

In Email To Campaign Supporters Obama Says He Is 'Frustrated' With Congress
Zeke Miller | Aug. 31, 2011, 11:11 PM

President Barack Obama's reelection campaign sent an email to campaign supporters under his name Wednesday with the subject line "frustrated" — critiquing Congress for failing to focus on the critical issues facing the country.

"It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on. I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too," the message said, adding that Obama will lay out his own proposals in a speech to Congress next week.

The standoffish email says Obama will push Congress to act, but "whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them."

As his reelection effort gears up, Obama says he is prepared to run against Congress if it blocks his economic agenda — which will include a number of proposals he says will create jobs.

Read the full email below:
Friend --

Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work.

Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.

Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.

But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities—and it's time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.

And we must hold them accountable if they don't.

So I'm asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:
http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.

It's been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.
I know that you're frustrated by that. I am, too.

That's why I'm putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs—that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.

I'm asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we've got to do this together.

I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I'm asking you to stand alongside me today:
http://my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

More to come,
Barack
__________________________________________________ _______

Thganks for the heads up "B!":cool:

RK

road kill
09-01-2011, 04:54 PM
You know, it's getting old......

Wolffe: Opposition To Obama Speech Possibly Based On Skin Color

"The interesting question is: What is it about this president that has stripped away the veneer of respect that normally accompanies the Office of the President? Why do Republicans think this president is unpresidential and should dare to request this kind of thing? It strikes me that it could be the economic times, it could be that he won so big in 2008 or it could be, let's face it, the color of his skin. This is an extraordinary reaction to a normal sequence of events," MSNBC contributor Richard Wolffe said on "The Last Word."

RK

Gerry Clinchy
09-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Guess he's capitalizing on the fact that Congress' approval ratings are so dismal that they are an easy scapegoat.

That kind of talk doesn't generate a lot of warm fuzzies of the bi-partisan variety. Might even diss off some of his own party, making it even more difficult to get work done.

road kill
09-02-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't know about you all......but I am extremely excited to hear Obama's new jobs and economic recovery plan!!

What a great opportunity for Obama to really do something historic to turn this around!!

These ideas will be new and fesh and really create a positive attitude throughout the land!!
I can't wait to hear them, even though he will be on when reruns of Bonanza will be playing on "TV Land!!":shock:

Props to Boehner for helping get the time set up for the address, evidently the Ivy League genius' on Obama's staff were struggling with this issue....but I digress....I am certain these folks can solve our economic issues!!!!:D

RK

caryalsobrook
09-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I don't know about you all......but I am extremely excited to here Obama's new jobs and economic recovery plan!!

What a great opportunity for Obama to really do something historic to turn this around!!

These ideas will be new and fesh and really create a positive attitude throughout the land!!
I can't wait to hear them, even though he will be on when reruns of Bonanza will be playing on "TV Land!!":shock:

Props to Boehner for helping get the time set up for the address, evidently the Ivy League genius' on Obama's staff were struggling with this issue....but I digress....I am certain these folks can solve our economic issues!!!!:D

RKMore Gov. spending, more gov. debt., more taxes, more regulation, more sugsities to green companies to create more "GREEN" jobs to replace the bankrupt subsidized "GREEN" companies that just went out of business and laid of the "GREEN" workers, and pleading with Republicans to set aside politics and act in a bipartisin way. there you heare it!!:)

caryalsobrook
09-03-2011, 07:43 AM
More Gov. spending, more gov. debt., more taxes, more regulation, more sugsities to green companies to create more "GREEN" jobs to replace the bankrupt subsidized "GREEN" companies that just went out of business and laid of the "GREEN" workers, and pleading with Republicans to set aside politics and act in a bipartisin way. there you heare it!!:)
Damn I can't type.

charly_t
09-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't know about you all......but I am extremely excited to hear Obama's new jobs and economic recovery plan!!

RK

Yep, I am very excited about this...........In the old hill billy saying I find a certain likeness to how I feel about it........."mad as a wet sittin' hen."

Gerry Clinchy
09-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Well, don't get too excited:

In what could be a way of lowering expectations for next Thursday's big economic speech, aides to President Obama are privately spreading word that he will not present his entire jobs plan in his address to a Joint Session of Congress.

Doesn't that sort of conflict with the sense of urgency to hold the joint session, originally, on Tuesday?

The president promised to release his plan to create jobs after returning from his Martha's Vineyard vacation in late August and Friday's report will put more pressure on him to deliver. But White House officials still say it's unlikely the president will release the whole plan Thursday night.

The reason for this is better explained by the following:

Aides say Thursday's speech will be part of a bigger plan the White House (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/white-house.htm#r_src=ramp) will roll out throughout the fall with the president hitting the road for speeches and town hall appearances. Aides have already confirmed that Obama will be traveling to California, Colorado, and Washington state for one three-day swing later this month that will include economic events as well as some fundraising.

I think this is a bad move ... will voters believe that their jobs are more important to this man than his own job? If some have conjectured that his primary focus is to use the unemployment "crisis" to make campaign fodder, this surely lends some substance to that speculation.

After returning from his bus tour, he goes on vacation, returns to DC to make a "teaser" speech, then goes back on the road again. Who is minding the store?

Sundown49 aka Otey B
09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Does anyone really believe that Obama's speech will create any jobs? How can a bunch of academics that are advising him and have NEVER had a real job tell him how.....he's clueless............SAD.

huntinman
09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
In otherwords... he has no plan and needs the next few months to come up with an idea...:rolleyes:

road kill
09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
In otherwords... he has no plan and needs the next few months to come up with an idea...:rolleyes:

He was busy......golfing!!!!!

I don't think you dirty unwashed understand....he IS the ONE we have been waiting for!!:cool:

RK