PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather - Ortiz anyone watching?

huntinman
09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
I am a huge boxing fan and will be watching. Way back in the day I was a skinny middleweight AAU boxer when I was in college. Fought a little in the military as a light heavy and in the bars in Alaska (rough house boxing) in the post pipeline days of the early '80's... Young and dumb... Finally got married and had to quit that stuff. But I still love it.

I am hoping against hope that Ortiz lands a big bomb on Mayweather's mug and put's him out. My heart is for Ortiz, but my brain says Mayweather. I can't stand Mayweather.

BonMallari
09-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I am a huge boxing fan and will be watching. Way back in the day I was a skinny middleweight AAU boxer when I was in college. Fought a little in the military as a light heavy and in the bars in Alaska (rough house boxing) in the post pipeline days of the early '80's... Young and dumb... Finally got married and had to quit that stuff. But I still love it.

I am hoping against hope that Ortiz lands a big bomb on Mayweather's mug and put's him out. My heart is for Ortiz, but my brain says Mayweather. I can't stand Mayweather.

was thinking the same thing...the town is buzzing, lots of people in town for the fight...people forget that Mayweather is now 34 yrs old, and in boxing years that's old (Bernard Hopkins exception)...he also doent have the firepower to KO Ortiz....the only chance Ortiz has is to take Mayweather out because if it goes to the judges scorecard...well lets just say he wont stand a chance...if Ortiz wins it really takes the shine off any possible Pacquio -Mayweather fight (which Manny will win)

my prediction Ortiz by a TKO - round # 8

huntinman
09-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Man I hope your'e right! I am a big Pac-Man fan. I think he would blow Mayweather out, assuming Mayweather didn't run from him... The Ortiz - Berto fight was a thing of beauty... I was impressed with both guys that night.

DODGERFAN175
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't like Pac-Man or Mayweather but my money would be on Floyd if that fight ever happened.

There must be some reason why Pac-Man does not want olympic style testing. Think about it a just a few years ago he was fighting with the small guys like Morales and Barrera all of a sudden he's a welter?

According to what I have read Pac-Man was the one that didn't want to commit to stricter testing that Mayweather wanted. So why does everybody say Floyd was dodging Pac-Man? If anything its the other way around.

As far as tonight I will be watching and I hope Ortiz gets lucky early and puts Floyd on his a$$ but that's just wishful thinking.

A kid to look out for that I think has great potential will be fighting in the undercard I believe, is Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. Keep an eye on this kid.

huntinman
09-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't like Pac-Man or Mayweather but my money would be on Floyd if that fight ever happened.

There must be some reason why Pac-Man does not want olympic style testing. Think about it a just a few years ago he was fighting with the small guys like Morales and Barrera all of a sudden he's a welter?

According to what I have read Pac-Man was the one that didn't want to commit to stricter testing that Mayweather wanted. So why does everybody say Floyd was dodging Pac-Man? If anything its the other way around.

As far as tonight I will be watching and I hope Ortiz gets lucky early and puts Floyd on his a$$ but that's just wishful thinking.

A kid to look out for that I think has great potential will be fighting in the undercard I believe, is Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. Keep an eye on this kid.

That's pretty crazy. Mayweather makes all these allegations, but everyone forgets that he fought as an amateur at 106 lbs and was a champ as a pro as a super featherweight. All of them grow as they get older. Hearns did, Sugar Ray did, Duran did, all of them. only Mayweather tries to make an issue of his main competitor's growth. There was never any allegation or proof of any kind against Pacqiou and still isn't except for the big mouth Mayweather. If they ever do meet in the ring, Mayweather will pay.

DODGERFAN175
09-17-2011, 04:48 PM
That's pretty crazy. Mayweather makes all these allegations, but everyone forgets that he fought as an amateur at 106 lbs and was a champ as a pro as a super featherweight. All of them grow as they get older. Hearns did, Sugar Ray did, Duran did, all of them. only Mayweather tries to make an issue of his main competitor's growth. There was never any allegation or proof of any kind against Pacqiou and still isn't except for the big mouth Mayweather. If they ever do meet in the ring, Mayweather will pay.

Then why not agree to olympic style testing? Throw away millions and a chance to prove he's truly the best fighter of our time, because according to Bod Arum he's afraid of needles? I don't buy it.

huntinman
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Then why not agree to olympic style testing? Throw away millions and a chance to prove he's truly the best fighter of our time, because according to Bod Arum he's afraid of needles? I don't buy it.

I think they resolved all that a few months back and Mayweather wanted nothing to do with the contract. Pac-Man did finally agree to the jerks demands...

BonMallari
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM

thats the story I heard so there may be some truth to it..plus Mayweather wanted it done before the fight...which Pacquio say he would not do

huntinman
09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Mayweather isn't the main draw on PPV anyway. Why is he the one making demands? He's lucky Pac-Man just doesn't tell him to go to hell.

DODGERFAN175
09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Look, I don't like Floyd but from what I've read it just seemed to me like Pac-Man was the one dodging Mayweather.

If they ever do fight I do believe Mayweather's defense will once again dictate the pace of the fight and he would get the decision. Floyd always seems to fight his fight no matter who the opponent is.

Another fight to watch will be Marquez vs Pac-Man. Pac-Man should win the fight the question is will he be able to make Marquez look like an amateur the way Floyd did in their fight. Or will he only get himself a split decision or draw like the last two fights.

Jacob Hawkes
09-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Until somebody proves they can beat him, I'll go with Pretty Boy Floyd.

BonMallari
09-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Look, I don't like Floyd but from what I've read it just seemed to me like Pac-Man was the one dodging Mayweather.

If they ever do fight I do believe Mayweather's defense will once again dictate the pace of the fight and he would get the decision. Floyd always seems to fight his fight no matter who the opponent is.

Another fight to watch will be Marquez vs Pac-Man. Pac-Man should win the fight the question is will he be able to make Marquez look like an amateur the way Floyd did in their fight. Or will he only get himself a split decision or draw like the last two fights.

it aint Pac Man dodging Mayweather...follow the money trail..its about who gets control of the distribution of the purse and the PPV rights.. Arum wont concede that to Mayweathers connections...has nothing to do with the fighters...the management decides who and when they fight..they really do OWN the fighters

DODGERFAN175
09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
it aint Pac Man dodging Mayweather...follow the money trail..its about who gets control of the distribution of the purse and the PPV rights.. Arum wont concede that to Mayweathers connections...has nothing to do with the fighters...the management decides who and when they fight..they really do OWN the fighters

That, I can believe.

huntinman
09-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Mayweather just proved once again he is the biggest punk in the sport. What a cheap shot. The referee must have had a cut of the purse too...

Jacob Hawkes
09-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Guess you think head butting people is the thing to do. Lights out regards.

huntinman
09-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Guess you think head butting people is the thing to do. Lights out regards.

He was penalized for the head butt. Figures you would think rewarding a chump for a cheap shot before the ref said "box" was a good idea.

Once a loser always a loser regards... sort of like the old Seinfeld episode, "You either have class or you don't"

Jacob Hawkes
09-18-2011, 12:01 AM
The head butt was as blatant as they come. That's illegal the last time I checked. Knocking somebody out for that is legal. The ref obviously thought the gestures were done. Give it a break. Your boy took a ring nap. He was all smiles when he decided to wake up. Guess he didn't think it was such a cheap shot.

As far as a loser, check his record. I don't see a loss.

"Class" can be the most subjective thing in this life. It can be pure semantics @ it's finest. If that was some shot @ me, I'll just laugh for the rest of the night @ work.

huntinman
09-18-2011, 12:12 AM
The head butt was as blatant as they come. That's illegal the last time I checked. Knocking somebody out for that is legal. The ref obviously thought the gestures were done. Give it a break. Your boy took a ring nap. He was all smiles when he decided to wake up. Guess he didn't think it was such a cheap shot.

As far as a loser, check his record. I don't see a loss.

"Class" can be the most subjective thing in this life. It can be pure semantics @ it's finest. If that was some shot @ me, I'll just laugh for the rest of the night @ work.

The reference to class was about that dipsh**t Mayweather! Why are you so paranoid?

Mayweather is a loser in LIFE... he beat his wife, she left him for a BB player. He has been arrested how many times? Did you see his post fight interview? The guy is a total loser. OK, he can fight... but as a member of society? Worthless piece of crap.

Jacob Hawkes
09-18-2011, 12:24 AM
I am just talking about pure boxing skills. What he has done in the past doesn't concern me one way or the other. I'm not in the business of judging people.

You probably won't see another Roy Jones Jr. or Mike Tyson in his prime (Before his all everything figure died.). Great fighters who most people can get behind as people & fighters just don't come along that often anymore. Couple that with MMA blowing up & it's not hard to understand why boxing just does not have the allure it once did.

BonMallari
09-18-2011, 03:31 AM
I watched the replay, the ref looking the other way was something right out of WWE, looked like the fix was in...and they wonder why MMA is starting to take over fight fans..Ortiz lost his composure , no doubt about it, but Mayweather just showed what a cheap shot it was...if I had paid to watch the fight I would have wanted a refund because both fighters didnt give you your money's worth

Rudd
09-18-2011, 08:59 AM
I can't stand Mayweather but no matter how much of a "cheap shot" everyone thinks it was, IT WAS LEGAL.

Bon, you're right about MMA and you know Dana White had a huge smile on his face when he heard about this. He knows boxing is on it's way out, this is why he schedules UFC promotions the same day as some of the most promoted boxing matches. He's taking shots and winning.

BonMallari
09-18-2011, 09:42 AM
I can't stand Mayweather but no matter how much of a "cheap shot" everyone thinks it was, IT WAS LEGAL.

Bon, you're right about MMA and you know Dana White had a huge smile on his face when he heard about this. He knows boxing is on it's way out, this is why he schedules UFC promotions the same day as some of the most promoted boxing matches. He's taking shots and winning.

Dana White and the Fertitta sons used to give us MMA ticket for free when the MMA was just starting,so they could fill the seats and make it look full, nowadays I would be lucky if they would even stop and say hello..

the sport of boxing is in decline because of sleazy guys like Don King, Bob Arum, and even the Golden Boy himself Oscar De La Hoya...when the promoters are making all the money and the fighters are taking all the risks,something is wrong. not for gov't intervention into the sport but it really has no governing body and thsoe currently in charge are corrupt at best

Blackstone
09-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Whether you like Mayweather’s personality or not, he is one of the greatest boxers or all time. His 42 & 0 record proves that. Was it a cheap shot, yes. But, the first thing you learn as a boxer, and one of the last instructions from the ref, is, “defend yourself at all times.” Ortiz did not do that. I imagine Mayweather was pretty angry after the intentional head butt. He wasn’t interested in Otiz’s apology. He just wanted to strike back, and he did.

The outcome was going to be the same anyway. You could see he was already starting to dominate Ortiz by the 4th round. That’s why Ortiz was trying to rough him up. Ortiz was no match for Mayweather. I’m not sure why the fight critics thought he would be. He isn’t fast enough to box with Mayweather, and he gets hit far too much. He showed that in the Berto fight. Floyd can beat any fighter that leaves that many openings.

road kill
09-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Whether you like Mayweather’s personality or not, he is one of the greatest boxers or all time. His 42 & 0 record proves that. Was it a cheap shot, yes. But, the first thing you learn as a boxer, and one of the last instructions from the ref, is, “defend yourself at all times.” Ortiz did not do that. I imagine Mayweather was pretty angry after the intentional head butt. He wasn’t interested in Otiz’s apology. He just wanted to strike back, and he did.

The outcome was going to be the same anyway. You could see he was already starting to dominate Ortiz by the 4th round. That’s why Ortiz was trying to rough him up. Ortiz was no match for Mayweather. I’m not sure why the fight critics thought he would be. He isn’t fast enough to box with Mayweather, and he gets hit far too much. He showed that in the Berto fight. Floyd can beat any fighter that leaves that many openings.
I don't think knowledgable fight fans thought him to be a match for Mayweather, but I think they wanted him to be.

There has been a drought of marquee fights for a while.
They tried to make a silk purse here, but it was a sows ear.;-)

RK

Blackstone
09-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I don't think knowledgable fight fans thought him to be a match for Mayweather, but I think they wanted him to be.

There has been a drought of marquee fights for a while.
They tried to make a silk purse here, but it was a sows ear.;-)

RK

I know what you mean. There hasn't been a good heavyweight fight in years. I watched Klitschko vs. Adamek. I'm not sure why they bothered to make that fight. I hate Klitschko's style (both brothers). It makes for such a dull fight, but they are both effective. Will we ever get another great American heavyweight to challenge them?

huntinman
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I know what you mean. There hasn't been a good heavyweight fight in years. I watched Klitschko vs. Adamek. I'm not sure why they bothered to make that fight. I hate Klitschko's style (both brothers). It makes for such a dull fight, but they are both effective. Will we ever get another great American heavyweight to challenge them?

Everyone used to say the same thing about Larry Holmes because he relied on his great jab. They said the same thing about Lennox Lewis too... He would beat opponents to death with his jab then take them out with the big right. Lewis decidee to retire rather than fight Vitali K. again (who was leading on all three scorecards when the fight was stopped due to that nasty cut)

As for Americans... most that are that big and athletic are playing football these days IMO...

DODGERFAN175
09-19-2011, 11:22 AM

That's what I've gathered so far from watching all the post fight analysis. If you watch the re-play you never see Cortez give them the hand signal we're used to seeing from a ref. But he says they were clear to fight.

Cowtown
09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
As a huge boxing fan, I'm sad to say the sport is on the way out. MMA, like y'all have stated, is taking over. Kids growing up these days want to fight MMA, not become a boxer.

I love MMA and can understand why it's become so popular. I used to rent the early on fights at Blockbuster when Royce Gracie was the man.

BonMallari
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
the highlight of the night still had to be analyst Larry Merchant telling Mayweather " I wish I was fifty years younger, I would kick your ______ "

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2011/09/17/2011-09-17_floyd_mayweather_hbos_larry_merchant_have_postf ight_interview_shouting_match_ort.html

huntinman
09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
the highlight of the night still had to be analyst Larry Merchant telling Mayweather " I wish I was fifty years younger, I would kick your ______ "

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2011/09/17/2011-09-17_floyd_mayweather_hbos_larry_merchant_have_postf ight_interview_shouting_match_ort.html

That was funny as hell! One of the few things Larry Merchant has ever said that I agreed with...

Actually, if Mayweather would stand there with his arms down and let Larry sucker punch him... Larry could probably knock him out.

Jacob Hawkes
09-21-2011, 05:29 AM

Sorry, but I don't put a lot of stock in a senile drunk.

Hew
09-21-2011, 07:02 AM
I like Larry Merchant a lot. To me, he is the voice of boxing. There's been a lot of times he's said things that made me mad, but he's not afraid to say what's on his mind. I like Teddy Atlas, too. The guy who PO's me the most on a consistant basis is Jim Lampley.

huntinman
09-21-2011, 07:45 AM
I like Larry Merchant a lot. To me, he is the voice of boxing. There's been a lot of times he's said things that made me mad, but he's not afraid to say what's on his mind. I like Teddy Atlas, too. The guy who PO's me the most on a consistant basis is Jim Lampley.

Exactly...Lampley needs to take a breath. Teddy Atlas of course knows the sport from the inside.

huntinman
09-21-2011, 07:47 AM

You got the old part right. He is 80. Do you direspect everyone who is over a certain age?

Jacob Hawkes
09-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Yawn. Apparently reading comprehension just isn't your thing?

road kill
09-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Senilety is generally related to aging.

Do you read your posts?

RK

Jacob Hawkes
09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Senile drunk.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=senile

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=drunk

Perhaps that clears it up?

huntinman
09-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Young and dumb... I was there once. Jacob, it seems that's where you are now.

A little respect goes a long way.

road kill
09-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Senile drunk.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=senile

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=drunk

Perhaps that clears it up?

se·nile (snl, snl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of old age.
2. Relating to or exhibiting memory loss or mental impairment associated with aging.

Did you even read your own post???

RK

Jacob Hawkes
09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Young and dumb... I was there once. Jacob, it seems that's where you are now.

A little respect goes a long way.

You obviously don't know the 1st thing about me. I love it how you can pretend to know me & then have the nerve to talk about respect. Go ahead, ask anybody who actually knows me & see what they tell you.

Did you even read your own post???

RK

Of course I did. Relating to or exhibiting memory loss or mental impairment. That's the part of the definition I was using followed by the drunkard part. It's no secret that's what he is. Just like Bear Bryant was & Grant was while away from his wife. He (LM.) use to be good @ what he does. He has lost it mentally & his thoughts on boxing are wayyyy out there. Pretty Boy Floyd is arguably the best defensive boxer ever. Floyd had every right to rebuttal to LM's asinine comments. Floyd was correct in saying LM doesn't know anything about boxing. That goes back to the comment about LM having lost it. LM use to know a little about it, but the sun has set on that chapter.

road kill
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
You obviously don't know the 1st thing about me. I love it how you can pretend to know me & then have the nerve to talk about respect. Go ahead, ask anybody who actually knows me & see what they tell you.

Of course I did. Relating to or exhibiting memory loss or mental impairment associated with aging. That's the part of the definition I was using followed by the drunkard part. It's no secret that's what he is. Just like Bear Bryant was & Grant was while away from his wife. He (LM.) use to be good @ what he does. He has lost it mentally & his thoughts on boxing are wayyyy out there. Pretty Boy Floyd is arguably the best defensive boxer ever. Floyd had every right to rebuttal to LM's asinine comments. Floyd was correct in saying LM doesn't know anything about boxing. That goes back to the comment about LM having lost it. LM use to know a little about it, but the sun has set on that chapter.

You conveniently left that red part out, you young whipper snapper!!:evil:

RK

starjack
09-21-2011, 01:24 PM

That might be smart a$$ but respet goes a long way. One question for you how do you get respect?

huntinman
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM

You are right, I don't know you. But, from reading your posts, you are starting to remind me of your idol... Floyd Mayweather. And I have not seen you box.

Jacob Hawkes
09-21-2011, 02:06 PM
You conveniently left that red part out, you young whipper snapper!!:evil:

RK

No matter what is said to the contrary, it's about age to you. Stop trying to spin things to fit your agenda. Stop projecting your interpretation.

That might be smart a$$ but respet goes a long way. One question for you how do you get respect?

It works both ways.

starjack
09-21-2011, 02:14 PM
No matter what is said to the contrary, it's about age to you. Stop trying to spin things to fit your agenda. Stop projecting your interpretation.

It works both ways.

So why dont you start showing some

Jacob Hawkes
09-21-2011, 02:23 PM
You are right, I don't know you. But, from reading your posts, you are starting to remind me of your idol... Floyd Mayweather. And I have not seen you box.

That's a big assumption. He's not my idol or even favorite boxer in the last 10 years. I just chose to appreciate what he does inside the ring for what it is. I'm not judging him for his actions outside the ring. We all have faults. I'm not saying he's the model citizen or anything close to that either. Chances are you won't see me box. I know my limitations. I was not intended to be one. I'm okay with it.

road kill
09-21-2011, 02:29 PM

It works both ways.

Sorry, I am just listing YOUR quote.
You commented on someones ability to read and comprehend.
When in fact YOU have the comprehension issue.
Now you want to edit YOUR own definition and "spin" it to suit YOUR needs to cover YOUR butt.

se·nile (snl, snl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of old age.
2. Relating to or exhibiting memory loss or mental impairment associated with aging.

YOUR definition that YOU posted.
I went by those words, now YOU want to spin the definition of the term YOU used.

I think I get who you are, I need ask noone, I go by what I see here.

Nuff said.....

RK

huntinman
09-21-2011, 02:35 PM
That's a big assumption. He's not my idol or even favorite boxer in the last 10 years. I just chose to appreciate what he does inside the ring for what it is. I'm not judging him for his actions outside the ring. We all have faults. I'm not saying he's the model citizen or anything close to that either. Chances are you won't see me box. I know my limitations. I was not intended to be one. I'm okay with it.

Evidently not:rolleyes: