PDA

View Full Version : Palestinian Bid for UN presence

Gerry Clinchy
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
The administration has threatened Abbas with cutting off $500 million in aid to the PA. This could be an opportunity! We could use that $500 million to help the budget deficit!

Why would be giving them $500 million for "economic & security" assistance?

Maybe we could also delete aid to any of the other UN membership that votes for the PA statehood in the UN? Wow, could save a bundle! $1/2 billion here and there could re-build a bridge or two here in the US.

twall
09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
It is funny how all the pieces seem to be falling into place. We will see who our president really is in how he handles the vote when it comes up.

Keep your eyes on the eastern sky!

Tom

zeus3925
09-19-2011, 11:28 PM
While we are at it lets cut Israel out too. That's 2.5 billion a year.

BonMallari
09-19-2011, 11:44 PM

Seriously ?..and to what purpose would that serve and benefit

Gerry Clinchy
09-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I have less problem helping out countries that share our values for individual freedoms & democracy.

The US's problem is that they give $ to govts/leaders who don't share our values. It's no wonder lots of countries distrust the US.

We gave $ to Mubarak even though he didn't share our values. Then we threw him under the bus when it looked like something better was coming along. He didn't share our values, but we gave him $ because he was "playing nice" with us. That's called bribery (or maybe extortion?).

You may remember the video clip of the Congressman who explained, that Congress votes on a lump sum for foreign aid, & doesn't get to choose who it goes to. Hence, we now give aid to 193 countries, many of whom do not like us & would like to see us "removed". That's just plain dumb.

It would be far better to put put some of that foreign aid into the hands of groups like Drs. Without Borders. Let them provide humanitarian aid directly to the population. Since the govt shouldn't make that choice, it could be in the form of a tax credit to taxpayers. Then taxpayers would make the choices. Hopefully, this would mean that this aid went toward an intended purpose, rather than ending up in some graftee's pockets.

road kill
09-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Just out of curiosity....do you know how many Democracies exist in the middle east?
Could you list them??:D

Just askin'....

RK

zeus3925
09-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Just out of curiosity....do you know how many Democracies exist in the middle east?
Could you list them??:D

Just askin'....

RK

Israel functions much as a theocracy.

What I meant by the previous remark was a pox on both their houses. If they can't settle their quarrel after 62 years, it is never going to happen. Pull the plug!

road kill
09-20-2011, 09:31 AM

What I meant by the previous remark was a pox on both their houses. If they can't settle their quarrel after 62 years, it is never going to happen. Pull the plug!

Hmmmm....if Israel is a "Theocracy" what would you call our current Government?

BTW--I agree, under the current circumstances we need to get our own finances in order, then maybe we can give more again, but right now we need to cut spending!

RK

BonMallari
09-20-2011, 09:41 AM

this "quarrel" goes further back than 62 years;-)

huntinman
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
We should just quit funding the whole damn UN while we are at it. They are a joke and do nothing but take shots at us from our own front yard. The hell with them.

Gerry Clinchy
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Based on the recent news about the lack of financial accountability in the UN, Bill, that seems like a pretty valid idea. Until they can get THEIR house in order, we should stop feeding the corruption.

Brad Turner
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
this "quarrel" goes further back than 62 years;-)

This is what I was thinking. It probably got started with Nebuchadnezzar!

zeus3925
09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmmmm....if Israel is a "Theocracy" what would you call our current Government?

RK

A cluster &@*#