PDA

View Full Version : Oops!!!

road kill
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Oops, Obama Touts his Jobs Plan Today at an Ohio Bridge that Won't Qualify

September 22, 2011 | 6:02 am 60300

You know all those rusting bridges that President Obama wants to spend billions more dollars repairing to allegedly stimulate the economy?

He's headed out to one today which he's described as a "bridge that needs repair between Ohio and Kentucky that's on one of the busiest trucking routes in North America." It is on a busy trucking route, spanning the Ohio River between Covington, Ky., and Cincinnati.

It's the Brent Spence Bridge. It doesn't really need repairs. It's got decades of good life left in its steel spans. It's just overloaded. The bridge was built to handle 85,000 cars and trucks a day, which seemed like a lot back during construction in the Nixon era.

Today, the bridge sort of handles more than 150,000 vehicles a day with frequent jam-ups.
So, plans are not to repair or replace the Brent Spence Bridge. But to build another bridge nearby to ease the loads.

But here's the problem, as John Merline graphically notes here, that could screw up all those envisioned photo op shots of the Democrat and the traffic:

The president's jobs bill is designed for "immediate" highway spending.

And the new $2.3 billion Cincy bridge is not scheduled to even start construction for probably four years, long after Republicans have scheduled the Obama presidency for completion.

And without delays, it wouldn't be finished until 2022, when no one will be counting Obama's rounds of golf.

Politicians hate these kinds of messy distractions when they pick a place to make a symbolic statement. But Brent Spence was so tempting linking, as it does, the home states of GOP House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

But there is some possible good news for President Obama: The $447-billion jobs bill that he wanted passed "right now" back in early September is stuck in a legislative traffic jam in the Senate.

Fellow Democrat Harry Reid, the majority leader who can run that place like a school principal whenever he wants, is aware of opposition to the measure among some of his own caucus members.

And, well, darn it, wouldn't you know, Reid just can't seem to find a place for Obama's jobs bill in the chamber's overloaded schedule. As a result, as of right now Obama's "right now" jobs bill won't come up until later in the fall, possibly much later.

In a way the scheduling doesn't matter. Since the Democrat in the White House would rather have Republican opposition to it than any of its job-creating provisions, so he can have obstructionist charges for next year's campaign.

But if Congress works the way it usually does, maybe the bridge-repair money will be delayed a few years until the president's photo op Brent Spence Bridge enhancement bridge project is actually shovel-ready.

__________________________________________________ _______

WOW!!!!

Who's on first????:rolleyes:

RK

huntinman
09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
The gang that can't shoot straight!

Buzz
09-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I know the bridge well. I probably drove across it a few thousand times. It is a hair raising experience, especially if you're in a truck. I used to literally just about crap myself going across it if there were semi trucks in the vicinity when driving it. The lanes are very narrow, if you're claustrophobic you wouldn't enjoy a drive across it. The bridge is emblematic of the lack of infrastructure spending in the country. I have sat in traffic jams for hours that were miles long on MANY occasions because of a stalled vehicle or an accident on that bridge. And this is the point that Obama is trying to make by standing in front of it. But leave it up to the wingers to nit pick the crap out of every move he makes and every single word he utters.

What makes this bridge dangerous is that in order to max out its capacity, it no longer has emergency breakdown lanes. They were done away with in 1985 in order to provide an extra driving lane to handle the overload. When timely infrastructural improvements don't happen, these are the kinds of shortcuts that local officials have to take. When I had to go to and from the Cincinnati Airport which is actually in Kentucky, I would actually drive an extra 15-20 miles and take the I-275 loop around town just to avoid that mess of a bridge and traffic problem.

The most dangerous design fault of all is the lack of emergency lanes, say police officers, highway officials and commuters.
Last January, a 41-year-old father of three was killed when his car stalled on the bridge. The car was demolished when it was hit from behind by a truck loaded with garbage. The truck dragged the dead man's car 500 feet before it could stop.
"That could have been you or me," says Covington Police Spc. George Russell, who investigated the crash. "It's amazing that this doesn't happen more often." Only two other fatalities resulted from bridge accidents between 1995 and 2002.
Chris Smith, morning supervisor for ARTIMIS, the area's traffic management system, recalls a bridge wreck last summer. A woman was standing by her disabled car, in the path of another car whose driver didn't veer until the last second.
"That person swerved, lost control and hit the side wall," Smith says. "No one was hurt, but I remember it to this day as a perfect example of what happens on that bridge every day."

• It ranks No. 7 among those bridges for highest crash rate, although deaths are few.
• Motorists are five times more likely to have a wreck on the bridge than on the interstate systems of Ohio, Kentucky or Indiana. About eight bridge accidents a month are bad enough to require police presence.
• Big trucks running side by side on the bridge have less than a yard of space between them. Remarkably, the big rigs account for just 11 percent of vehicles involved in reported accidents.
• Even minor mishaps can back up traffic for seven miles or more each way.
"If you are claustrophobic or worried about getting hit, you'll have a problem driving on that bridge," says David Lewin of Edgewood, who commutes across the Brent Spence at least twice a day. "There are some days that I just feel that it's too dangerous and want to get the hell off of it, and I take another route."

huntinman
09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Of course... it probabably swings back and forth like old Galloping Gertie of Puget Sound fame too, huh?

Buzz
09-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Of course... it probabably swings back and forth like old Galloping Gertie of Puget Sound fame too, huh?

Don't know a thing about that bridge. I have walked under the Brent Spence on my way to a Bengals game before and it does shake rattle & roll, like any bridge carrying a lot of heavy traffic.

Marvin S
09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
But leave it up to the wingers to nit pick the crap out of every move he makes and every single word he utters.

Your POTUS had his chance with the original stimulus, but blew it :confused:. He now has ZERO credibility. He would have more support if he had actually done real infrastructure the 1st time, but true to his roots he wasted it :) :) :)..........

We have a bridge over the Columbia at Longview, WA that's probably as scary as any anywhere!!!!!!!!!!

road kill
09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I know the bridge well. I probably drove across it a few thousand times. It is a hair raising experience, especially if you're in a truck. I used to literally just about crap myself going across it if there were semi trucks in the vicinity when driving it. The lanes are very narrow, if you're claustrophobic you wouldn't enjoy a drive across it. The bridge is emblematic of the lack of infrastructure spending in the country. I have sat in traffic jams for hours that were miles long on MANY occasions because of a stalled vehicle or an accident on that bridge. And this is the point that Obama is trying to make by standing in front of it. But leave it up to the wingers to nit pick the crap out of every move he makes and every single word he utters.

What makes this bridge dangerous is that in order to max out its capacity, it no longer has emergency breakdown lanes. They were done away with in 1985 in order to provide an extra driving lane to handle the overload. When timely infrastructural improvements don't happen, these are the kinds of shortcuts that local officials have to take. When I had to go to and from the Cincinnati Airport which is actually in Kentucky, I would actually drive an extra 15-20 miles and take the I-275 loop around town just to avoid that mess of a bridge and traffic problem.

Obama owes you his gratitude for claifying for we, the unwashed, what he REALLY meant!!

Thanks Buzz!!!:cool:

RK

Buzz
09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Obama owes you his gratitude for claifying for we, the unwashed, what he REALLY meant!!

Thanks Buzz!!!:cool:

RK

Just trying to help in the worst way... Had to jump in since I know that bride so well. Actually the whole I-75 corridor through Cincinnati is woefully under capacity.

charly_t
09-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Just trying to help in the worst way... Had to jump in since I know that bride so well. Actually the whole I-75 corridor through Cincinnati is woefully under capacity.

Whoops, that one letter sure is important isn't it !

huntinman
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM

I hope he doesn't know Obama's bride very well!

Buzz
09-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Like the thread title says, OOPS!

charly_t
09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Like the thread title says, OOPS!

I figured that you had done what I often do and had not hit the key hard enough. Makes for some fun posts. I appreciated the smile that I had when I read it and I remembered some of my posts on another forum. :-) :-) :-)