PDA

View Full Version : Western Montana (Charlo)

Nik
09-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Any news on the Open?

Judy Myers
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
The Open is a triple with two retired. Long mark on right down first thrown right to left and gunners retire quite a distance behind some Russian Olive trees. There is a small ditch with a tiny bit of water in it enroute. Next bird down is the shortest one in the center also thrown right to left, landing near the top of the rise before the same ditch. There is a large rock and brush area right on the line to the mark so the dogs must choose whether to go left or right of it and have to readjust. Last down on the left is the flyer also shot right to left. After running, the dogs were asked to honor. The test is taking between 9 and 10 minutes per dog with some of the long hunts taking even more time.

There appears to be a lot of cover enroute to and around all birds. The early dogs were facing into the sun just as it was rising over the Mission Mountains, and there was not a breath of wind. After a few dogs, a light breeze came up blowing right to left and angling in toward the line.

The first few dogs had a difficult time with the long, right hand bird. They went right to what appeared to be the area of the fall but took a very long time to find the bird, gradually expanding their hunt in the field beyond the ditch. Those dogs that took the long bird second, seemed to do better on that bird but then overran the short bird and had to be handled. The work seemed to get somewhat better as time went on, probably due to more scent and a little breeze. I saw the first 10 or so dogs run. As I recall, two did a particularly good job, two handled on the short bird, one had to be helped on the long bird, one was picked up for going back to an old fall, one had a long hunt on the flyer, and the others had varying long hunts on the long bird.

Most dogs were coming in hot and tired after running and then had to honor. I was told there were bowls of water available near the line. The temperature was around 70 when I left about 10:30. The temperature is expected to reach 88 today.

Judy Myers
09-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Later in the day in the Open, the wind shifted to the opposite direction, left to right, and a number of dogs ended up going back to the short retired when sent to the long retired. Dragback also caused some to pull up short on the long mark and wander over to the short mark. The judges announced they they would stop judging at 6:00 and resume in the morning.

I should mention that they had big jugs of water and a bowl available to water and wet down the dogs in the holding blind prior to going to the line and a full water bowl right next to the honor position.

I heard that the Qual land series was a triple with a short middle retired. Some overran the short retired and had to be handled and some hunted and wanted to return to the flyer station. Word was they dropped about 11 dogs, but I don't know the callbacks. I heard the second series was a water blind and that they were planning a land blind in conjunction with the water marks. They planned to finish tonight.

jgrammer
09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Qual results:
1: 8 Quick Remien
2: 5 Abe Erhardt
3: 15 Jag Remien
4: 20 Rocky Remien
RJ 21 Tebow Nelson
Jams: 6, 13, 22, 24, 26

Judy Myers
09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Open Callbacks to the 2nd series (41):

2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 31, 33, 34, 36, 38, 42, 45, 47, 49, 51, 52, 54, 55, 57, 58, 59, 62, 64, 65, 69, 74, 76, 77

A double land blind is in progress. They plan to do the water blind today and finish tomorrow with the final series.

The Amateur is a triple with two retired. Very, very long bird on the left thrown left to right on the face of a hillside. There are several steeply rolling hills and several pieces of water enroute. The center, significantly shorter bird is thrown right to left from a hillside down the face of a hillside. That gunner retires to the flyer station which is on the same hillside shooting left to right so that the bird lands on the far shore of a small pond. The line is on the crest of a hill looking out over the rolling terrain. The birds are thrown left, middle, right (flyer) and the flyer gunners stand until the dog picks up the flyer which is the signal for the center gunner to retire to the flyer station.

Some dogs have missed the middle bird and either ended up back in the flyer area or continued on to the next hill. The water enroute to the long mark is hidden from view so we don't know exactly where it is or what it looks like. Very few dogs have taken a direct path from the line to the long bird. Some have stayed high to the left and avoided getting wet which gives them a better chance of keeping their destination in view. Others have apparently angled into the pieces of water and come out off line so that their path out there looks like a zigzag pattern. Some have stayed high to the right and gotten lost. One dog went so far down the valley and way beyond the long mark that the gunner had to shoot several times to get the dog back. There have been a few pickups and handles but the majority of the dogs are getting all the birds, although the number and length of the hunts varies.

Melanie Foster
09-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks Judy. As always, your descriptions are outstanding.

Annette
09-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks Judy or your reports. I sure wish you were running the same trials as my dog.
Good luck to you!

Russ
09-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks Judy. Any word on the derby?

Judy Myers
09-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I haven't heard anything on the Derby yet. I plan to head back out there shortly and will try to find out more info. I'll hope for good news about Jones.

Russ
09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Me, too.:D Thanks for keeping us all up to date!

Congratulations to Lynn and Tebow on the RJ in the Qual.

Florence

old'triever
09-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Derby ended for the day at the conclusion of the second series.
Call backs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,13,14,15,18,19,20,22,24---#23scratch---18 dogs. Starting 8a.m. same spot in the morning.

Judy Myers
09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for posting the Derby callbacks, old'triever.

The Open ran a double land blind and called back 28:

6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 18, 21, 23, 24, 31, 34, 36, 38, 42, 45, 47, 52, 54, 55, 57, 58, 62, 64, 69, 74, 76, 77

The water blind involved a poison bird tossed away from the line to the blind, a difficult entry where the dogs dropped out of sight and then had to swim to and cross a point not far from the entry, re-enter the water, continue past the tip of another point where there was lunging water, and swim past the gunner and poison bird to the end of the pond. Twenty dogs were called back to the next series tomorrow morning:

6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 21, 23, 24, 34, 36, 38, 42, 47, 54, 55, 57, 62, 74, 76, 77

There was some discussion of doing another blind prior to the water marks but that decision has not been announced.

Judy Myers
09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Amateur Callbacks to the 3rd series (26 dogs):

2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 27, 28, 29, 30, 34, 36, 37, 41, 43, 44, 46, 49, 53, 54, 55, 56

Judy Myers
09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
The Amateur 3rd series was a double blind - one land, one water. I did not see the blinds from the line, but there appeared to be a lot of cover enroute to the short land blind. The water blind was very tight to the shore for most of the blind. It angled down into the water to the right of some twiggy brush, between a tree and the shore, under a tree leaning on another, on to the far shore, and up into heavy cover. The end of the long blind was not marked so it was hard for the handlers to judge depth and exact location. Some dogs and handlers had a hard time coming up with the bird once they got there.

Callbacks to the 4th series (14 dogs):

3, 8, 16, 20, 23, 27, 28, 30, 37, 44, 46, 49, 55, 56

The Open is running it's 4th series, a delayed water quad. The line is set down the shore to the right from where they ran the water blind. The first bird down on the right is thrown left to right, landing a little to the left of and behind where the blind was planted. The gunner retires behind a row of brush. The second bird down in the center is thrown left to right and in toward the tip of the second point that the dogs swam by on the blind. That gunner retires to the flyer station just above and to the left of where he was standing. The third bird down is on the left and thrown right to left and the route to it is on land. Once the dog picks up a bird, the flyer is shot right to left up the hill from the point where the center bird is thrown.

I heard that only one of the first 8 dogs did the test without a handle or a pickup and that one primary selected the point bird. Later, many of the handlers started trying to primary select the point bird with varying success. When I left, I was told that about 6 of the dogs had done it without a handle.

The Derby is running it's 4th series. Sorry I don't have the callbacks from the 3rd. I'll try to get the Derby results when I go back out there for the Open results and to check on the Amateur.

Russ
09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you, Judy. It sure is frustrating being to far away!

Florence

Judy Myers
09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Open results:

1st Turbo Fruehling/Remien
2nd Kid Martin/Remien
3rd Lil Koeth
4th Skyy Woodyard/Erhardt
RJ Huck Johnson/Fangsrud

JAM's 6, 10, 55, 76, 77

Judy Myers
09-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Ooops. Forgot to mention that the 3rd place Open dog Lil finished her FC and qualified for the National.

Judy Myers
09-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Derby Results:

1st Chase Calvert
2nd Tag Averett/Remien
3rd Mighty Gunn
4th Pebbles Van Der Lee

My source did not know the RJ or JAMS.

Judy Myers
09-25-2011, 07:08 PM
The Amateur finished with a big quad - two land marks and two water marks followed by an honor. It was run from the rim of an oblong bowl with a small pond below the line and situated on the left end of the oblong. A shorter bird was thrown first left to right and steeply angled back into a clearing in bushes on the left and gunner retired into the bushes. Another short mark across the water went down second thrown left to right near the edge of the pond and the gunner retired behind a tree. A longer mark on a hill above the shorter one was thrown right to left converging such that the two water marks were nearly an over and under. Last was a long flyer way off to the right shot right to left. The marks were picked up in a variety of orders and there were some handles as dogs punched through to the long water mark and had trouble checking down for the short one or got the short one but had long hunts for the long one. The mark on the left in the bushes also resulted in some longish hunts.

Amateur results

1st Nick Hartl New AFC and Qualifies for the National Am.
2nd Billie Ray Christie
3rd Storm Byrum
4th Skyy Woodyard
RJ Louie White
JAMS 8, 20, 23, 28, 46, 55, 56

jgrammer
09-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Congratulation, Tom and new AFC Nick! And congrats to Alice, Skyy and Rob for placing 4th in both the Am and the Open!!

Lynn Moore
09-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Thrilled for Turbo, Bill, Gay and Don....Shaq offspring youngster winning the Open. Thanks for your reports Judy, very exciting news to me!

Melanie Foster
09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Way to go Lynn! How about those Brook pups, eh?!

Judy Myers
09-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Congratulations, Lynn. I didn't realize when I posted that the winner was one of your pups. Very exciting.

tshuntin
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Thrilled for Turbo, Bill, Gay and Don....Shaq offspring youngster winning the Open. Thanks for your reports Judy, very exciting news to me!

Way cool! Congrats to all of you!

BonMallari
09-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Open results:

1st Turbo Fruehling/Remien
2nd Kid Martin/Remien
3rd Lil Koeth
4th Skyy Woodyard/Erhardt
RJ Huck Johnson/Fangsrud

JAM's 6, 10, 55, 76, 77

Congrats to Don Remien on taking 1st and 2nd in the Open :D:D

Congrats to Charlie (Charlene) and Chester on completing Lil's FC