PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan, Really?

Cody Covey
09-24-2011, 12:52 AM
So what are your guys' opinions on Pakistan. 2 billion a year in foreign aid and now Mullen is saying that their version of CIA is behind the attacks on the embassy. Why do we continue to fund this country to "help with terrorism" when all they can seem to do is aid, foster, and fund terrorism?

BonMallari
09-24-2011, 03:58 AM
are there two more corrupt guys than Karzaid and Musharref...after all look where Bin Laden was hiding, not like he showed up there over nite...IMHO we are training way too many Pakistanis in our universities and high tech areas..pick your poison ; Pakistan or India

Franco
09-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Looks like y'all, me and Dr Ron Paul agree; stop sending money to Pakistan!;-) Of course, RP has been saying this for years.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-05-05/ron-paul-stop-aid-to-pakistan/

Terri
09-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I love how Perry is for helping illegals get a free college education. Let them get a loan from a bank in their country to pay for their education. We had to get loans for our oldest daughter when she was in undergraduate, private university, on top of her scholarships, working, and loans. Our son has taken out a loan for his third year at the university. Our youngest who is still at a junior college we can still pay out of pocket, but at the university level the need for loans comes into play for us.

Terri

Hew
09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Looks like y'all, me and Dr Ron Paul agree; stop sending money to Pakistan!;-) Of course, RP has been saying this for years.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-05-05/ron-paul-stop-aid-to-pakistan/
There's a Grand Canyon-wide difference between concern about whether our money is being spent wisely on Pakistan (as voiced by Bon and Cody) and Ron Paul's juvenile, turtle-in-a-shell, let's-relive-the-1700's brand of isolationism. Juveniles are brash, all-or-nothing, I'm talking my ball and going home. Adults are discerning and pragmatic...it might be a lot less costly to pay money to feed people than to pay money to kill them.

Paul's limited appeal to the electorate is based upon his libertarian ideas regarding the Federal Govt. and personal freedom. His foreign policy ideas are a few white tigers shy of a full Seigfreid and Roy Show. He should really concentrate on the former; 'cause when he discusses the latter most folks invariably think to themselves..."fruitcake."

huntinman
09-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I love how Perry is for helping illegals get a free college education. Let them get a loan from a bank in their country to pay for their education. We had to get loans for our oldest daughter when she was in undergraduate, private university, on top of her scholarships, working, and loans. Our son has taken out a loan for his third year at the university. Our youngest who is still at a junior college we can still pay out of pocket, but at the university level the need for loans comes into play for us.

Terri

I think you might be a little off on the Texas policy, Terri. The illegal students do not get free tuition. They get in-state rates, if they are Texas residents. I do not suport the policy, just want to clarify the argument, because I keep hearing it quoted as free.

IMO, illegal is illegal... No benefits of any kind as long as they are considered to be illegal.

BonMallari
09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
I think you might be a little off on the Texas policy, Terri. The illegal students do not get free tuition. They get in-state rates, if they are Texas residents. I do not suport the policy, just want to clarify the argument, because I keep hearing it quoted as free.

IMO, illegal is illegal... No benefits of any kind as long as they are considered to be illegal.

you are correct Bill, they are getting resident tuition rates...but even since I went to college back in the late 70's the US has educated a ton of foreign students,many times at the expense of domestic students not being to get into those same universities for those coveted spots...

we have also taught other countries best minds the technological skills to go back to their home countries and use that technology against us..I am not totally against foreigners attending US schools, just think that we need to take care of the home grown kids first...(disclaimer : my brother went to a foreign med school, because he was unable to get in a domestic one despite having a M.A. degree in microbilogy and genetics from TAMU)

Now back to Pakistan, have never understood why we have the involvement that we do with them, the trade, the military support..how many US companies route their customer support through Pakistan..what really peeved me is that we didnt get full cooperation from Pakistan during the BinLaden raid..I would support immediate suspension of financial support for Pakistan, make them prove they are worthy of a dime, but unfortunately they always use the rue that if we dont it will spawn terrorist groups..

huntinman
09-24-2011, 12:08 PM
you are correct Bill, they are getting resident tuition rates...but even since I went to college back in the late 70's the US has educated a ton of foreign students,many times at the expense of domestic students not being to get into those same universities for those coveted spots...

we have also taught other countries best minds the technological skills to go back to their home countries and use that technology against us..I am not totally against foreigners attending US schools, just think that we need to take care of the home grown kids first...(disclaimer : my brother went to a foreign med school, because he was unable to get in a domestic one despite having a M.A. degree in microbilogy and genetics from TAMU)

Now back to Pakistan, have never understood why we have the involvement that we do with them, the trade, the military support..how many US companies route their customer support through Pakistan..what really peeved me is that we didnt get full cooperation from Pakistan during the BinLaden raid..I would support immediate suspension of financial support for Pakistan, make them prove they are worthy of a dime, but unfortunately they always use the rue that if we dont it will spawn terrorist groups..

I think (and I may be wrong) it is part of their culture to lie to anyone if it benefits them. They see no dishonor in that. We, on the other hand expect everyone to play by our rules (honorably)... It's a joke... There is no honor among thieves... I think that saying may have originated in the middle east. They will lie cheat and steal from their own mothers. Yet, we keep giving them billions and expecting them to be "our friends". Nuts.

Cody Covey
09-24-2011, 01:08 PM
I think (and I may be wrong) it is part of their culture to lie to anyone if it benefits them. They see no dishonor in that. We, on the other hand expect everyone to play by our rules (honorably)... It's a joke... There is no honor among thieves... I think that saying may have originated in the middle east. They will lie cheat and steal from their own mothers. Yet, we keep giving them billions and expecting them to be "our friends". Nuts.

This post is great and just what I was thinking when I created this thread!

Franco
09-24-2011, 11:10 PM
There's a Grand Canyon-wide difference between concern about whether our money is being spent wisely on Pakistan (as voiced by Bon and Cody) and Ron Paul's juvenile, turtle-in-a-shell, let's-relive-the-1700's brand of isolationism. Juveniles are brash, all-or-nothing, I'm talking my ball and going home. Adults are discerning and pragmatic...it might be a lot less costly to pay money to feed people than to pay money to kill them.

Paul's limited appeal to the electorate is based upon his libertarian ideas regarding the Federal Govt. and personal freedom. His foreign policy ideas are a few white tigers shy of a full Seigfreid and Roy Show. He should really concentrate on the former; 'cause when he discusses the latter most folks invariably think to themselves..."fruitcake."

Actually, there is nothing juvenile about Paul's Foreign Policy. As a country, we would have been much better off over the last 50 years. Our intervention in Vietnam, Iran, Bosnia, A'stan, Libya plus the huge cost of maintaining military basis around the globe as well as manintaining fleets on the seven seas is one major reason our coffers are spent! Add the fact that except for a very few countries, we are hated around the world.

I'm all for America First in everything we do! We are better served NOT being the world police. Nor are we served with installing rulers to our liking that usually turn out to be crooks.